homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope it's the first of several good announcements here. Keep plugging at it.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Palimpsest - good to hear you've done so well.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided that I do know what I want to do; I want to be a freelance proofreader. I would prefer to have a bit of capital behind me for starting up but I am where I am.

So, a couple of questions for UK shipmates: does anyone have experience of New Enterprise Allowance? Specifically, if one has a loan, how closely do they monitor what you spend the money on?

I would really like advice on the pros and cons of setting up a new business as opposed to MrP's IT consultancy gaining a proofreading division and me becoming his employee but I have no idea where to go for impartial advice on this. Any ideas?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last summer I applied for a job advertised through an agency, which had a similar job title to my current job but wasn't quite the same, and which I applied to purely for the £10K pay boost. I never heard back from them, but on Monday I got a call from a recruitment agent saying he'd found my CV and would I be interested in a role they had available. I now have a job interview next week...

I'm not sure that the job is one I'd have applied for myself, although it does sound interesting - the skill set is similar to mine, whilst not identical. But my current job is sapping my will to live, and has been for a good couple of years. I go into the building filled with good intentions of achieving things and the gloom descends and I just can't do it. The opportunity of something completely different, which came to me rather than the desperate filling in of application forms, seems too good to be true.

Also, now I need to work out what on earth to wear to a job interview at an architectural firm!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Make sure you have a solid foundation. [Biased]
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
... I need to work out what on earth to wear to a job interview at an architectural firm!

Frivolous Piglet would say hard hat, high-vis. jacket and steel-toed boots. [Devil]

Sensible Piglet, on the other hand, would say something smart but comfortable and somewhat understated. Black trouser-suit or similar.

Good luck - I bet it'll be an interesting job! [Yipee]

PS It probably wouldn't hurt to arrive in a Saab ... [Big Grin]

[ 16. April 2015, 15:29: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... I need to work out what on earth to wear to a job interview at an architectural firm!

Frivolous Piglet would say hard hat, high-vis. jacket and steel-toed boots. [Devil]

Sensible Piglet, on the other hand, would say something smart but comfortable and somewhat understated. Black trouser-suit or similar.

Good luck - I bet it'll be an interesting job! [Yipee]

PS It probably wouldn't hurt to arrive in a Saab ... [Big Grin]

Ah, someone else who saw that edition of Top Gear! My brother drove Saabs for years (but he wasn't an architect).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... It probably wouldn't hurt to arrive in a Saab ... [Big Grin]

Ah, someone else who saw that edition of Top Gear!
My cover's been blown ... [Killing me]

TG is repeated on BBC Canada more often than it is on Dave, so I've probably seen it several times. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 17. April 2015, 02:02: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Scots lass!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, now I need to work out what on earth to wear to a job interview at an architectural firm!

Something smart but comfortable that you already own.
quote:

Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes

-- Thoreau
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you were male, I would suggest wearing a tie printed with elegant impressions of buildings by Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright or Norman Foster.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
If you were male, I would suggest wearing a tie printed with elegant impressions of buildings by Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright or Norman Foster.

I do own a dress with buildings printed on it, but it's a 50s style halterneck so it's not really appropriate...
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely it would be OK with a well fitted jacket in a sympathetic colour ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

But as you're not, have you any jewellery inspired by either Lloyd Wright or (being Scottish) Charles Rennie Mackintosh?

[Smile]

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a look at their website - there's usually a picture of them all gathered around a computer/drawing board/table football machine (depending on the age of the directors). I tend to be wary of those where they have matching black polo necks or collarless Italian shirts.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just avoiding the doom of broom...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, I've just taken my first trip of the day to the hospital* to discuss retraining with some people in the know. I have to say that Clinical Biochemistry is not looking like a good idea at the mo as it appears to mostly involve feeding machines, but I have a further trip in a couple of weeks time to discuss with someone involved in the training process, plus the current trainees, so we shall see. I've also contacted someone in another field, hopefully I'll hear back once they are in work next week.

Not sure that anything is happening yet, but at least I have something I can DO about it.

AG

*No, I'm not that unhealthy, I'm giving blood at 4.30!

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing much changes for me. Still want new job, still want it nearer home (15 miles is the current commute, takes an hour on the bike, and having two cars is not a lifestyle choice I'd be comfortable with)

Difficult sod, me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

If it's any help, Karl, I feel better for knowing I'm not the only DS about! [Devil]

AG

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4 years off work.....tentative steps back via an agency.....then this week just had a firm declaration of interest in me.

Days and hours agreeable to me + a blissful one hour tram commute each way.

It feels like heaven: just may say yes
[Biased]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Go for it, EA, and best of luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I'm not sure if this is the thread for what I'm posting, but here goes . . .

I have been working for lo these many years with a NFP agency which assists people with significant disabilities, toward which end I acquired a graduate degree in human services (IOW, a good-for-damn-little degree).

Some time back, I spent a couple of semesters teaching part-time at a community college for extra money.

A little less time back, I was attacked at work by a client (not one of mine), suffered some fairly severe injuries, spent a long, bumpy recovery, and so on. But I'm finding myself less engaged in my work than I used to be. And budget cuts, always a looming nightmare in my field, loom again.

Between the scars, the trauma, and the prospect of cutting staff hours or firing long-term employees, taking a paycut myself, and/or facing possible job loss for perhaps the sixth time in the last six years, I am considering jumping ship.

I'm thinking of going back to that community college and taking on adjunct teaching in hope of eventually landing a position in the only department where my degree would be of any use.

Any advice?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'd see if you can find anyone who has done that to see how they've got on, and what pitfalls they met - it sounds as though you have to leave whatever, but I'd try to get a bit of info before you jump.

Ethne Alba... well, I'm jealous for one. Have a green grin! [Big Grin]

AG

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advice--1) I wouldn't lose the day job in favor of college teaching unless I had a firm full-time offer (e.g. not adjunct). There are tons of people (like me) working as adjuncts for peanuts, and most of us will never see a fulltime position. So make sure you have sufficient income somehow before pinning all your hopes to that. You'll doubtless know already how much an adjunct makes at the school you're thinking of.

That said, you can network like crazy and especially if you're mobile, you might find a fulltime position with that degree (unlike me, with common-as-dirt English). I'm sorry to be so negative--it's just that I had hopes this way too some years ago, before I realized...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all; it's been a while.....
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advice needed - last month I saw a museum job advertised which sounded ideal; it involved creating displays, handling artefacts, helping members of the public interpret exhibitions etc. The pay was low, but my commuting costs would have been negligible, which was a big plus. However, when it came to the qualifications required, it wasn't even a graduate position; from the qualifications required it seemed to be a receptionist position.

I've just seen another part-time job, which again sounds perfect from the job description. Much better pay, but an expensive and lengthy commute. But again, it's not a graduate post, so clearly what I'm reading into the job description and what the job actually is, are two different things. I'm not going to apply.

Is there any point in applying for a non-graduate post when I have a PhD? Would it give me a toe-hold into e.g. graduate museum work?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it would get you some experience.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I have got the impression that having done almost anything beforehand in a museum is helpful, possibly demonstrating your commitment to the sector(ugh - bizspeak!)? - can you afford to do it?

Meanwhile, I'm talking to people about NHS and associated roles. I have to say that thus far it's not looking very hopeful - it's all looking like at least a couple of years on 2/3rds of my current salary (in terms of seniority, the equivalent of where I started in the university in 1999) just to get started. And, if I'm really lucky, after a couple of years I might get promoted towards something more management-related - whoopeedoopoo!. Or there's some roles coming up in Milton Keynes "only an hour's drive away" (petrol costs on top of the pay cut).

Should've bought a house ten years ago... Should have worked put what I wanted to do twenty years ago. It's gut-wrenchingly frustrating, I know plenty I don't want to do, but not what I do.

AG

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I posted this:
quote:
Since submitting my thesis, I've had several requests to do voluntary interesting stuff. A couple of these have come with the comment "this will look good on your CV."

Nobody has offered to pay me to do paid interesting stuff.

nothing much has changed. Since then, things that I've done for free include blog posts, articles, talks to school children, one public lecture, historical tour guiding, two radio programmes, one interview for a broadsheet, chairing committee meetings, chairing conference panels, delivering a conference paper, organising a study day, admining a website, jointly adminning a FB page, ... I'm sure there's more.

I'm doing academic book reviews in return for free books, which is nice, though pay would be nicer.

I'm invigilating this week, which is at least paid.

Originally posted by Caissa:
quote:
Yes, it would get you some experience.
I don't think I lack "experience" I'm also concerned that paid work as e.g. a museum receptionist would reduce the amount of potentially helpful stuff I'm doing for free.

Would it be worth it on the basis that it's easier to get a job when you've got a job?

If I was being paid for what I'm currently doing, my life would be perfect! I love what I do! I just want to be in proper paid employment.

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

It is easier to get work when you have work. Being granted an interview and offered a job does not mean one has to accept the offer. The interview process often gleans a better idea of the true nature of the position.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
It is easier to get work when you have work ...

That's very true; apart from anything else, it means that you can offer a current employer as a referee for anything you're applying for in the future.

As someone who's on the "receptionist" end of the qualification and employment spectrum, there's part of me that thinks, "what chance is there for someone like me if people with PhDs are applying for clerical jobs?", but if you really think you'd enjoy the work and can live with the salary, there's no reason you shouldn't go for it.

Obviously, if I lived in NEQshire and were applying for the same post, I'd be quite justified in wishing a plague upon you ... [Devil]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Indeed. There was never any danger of me working for the arsehole who turned abusive mid-interview.

As for being easier to find work when you are in work... dear gods, if I ever lose my job I will just cut my wrists, it will be so much quicker, easier, and considerably less painful!

I have to say, NEQ, that it sounds as though you have plenty of stuff to be able to say "I've done all this, look at my commitment". It's just (?) a question of waiting for the right job to apply for.

AG

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Technically, I have jobs at the moment. But my main job title is attached to an unpaid position, and the rest are all ad-hoc (such as this week's invigilating.)
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, you have little to fear from PhDs applying for receptionist jobs; they won't even consider us. As in, "won't give you an interview." I don't know if the reasoning is that a PhD will soon be off to greener pastures (as if there were any) or if it's the more negative "s/he must be seriously deficient in some way not to have found work in his/her proper field already," but whatever it is, employers won't give us the time of day once they spot the degree.

Except for the vanishingly rare employer who has a megalomaniacal entitlement attitude, which in my experience means nonprofits.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and the next thing to try is a Medical Technical Officer in the transplant unit (which, while the extras look erm hairy (on call, potential need to travel by road air or sea, and for not a great deal of dosh (it's that M word again), looks interesting, real (as opposed to paper-generating, and worthwhile. We shall see tomorrow when I visit...

AG

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year's drought has been broken by a 6 week contract doing some project management and herding cats in the state office of my denomination.

Today I have an interview for a real job. It's a preliminary with the Head of HR rather than a hiring manager, but it's a good sign.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is easier to get work when you have work. Being granted an interview and offered a job does not mean one has to accept the offer. The interview process often gleans a better idea of the true nature of the position.

I always tell folks here going for interview here that they are interviewing the potential employer as well to see if they are worth working for.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
... the reasoning is that a PhD will soon be off to greener pastures ...

Fair point, LC. Part of the reason my boss wanted me rather than a post-grad student was (a) I don't think that photocopying and getting the tea are beneath me; and (b) the student would get their MSc/PhD and then bugger off.

Sandemaniac and Mr. Curly, best of luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Hmmm. Stay where I am with no prospects of progression (or of survival of sanity) or take a post that will take 25% off my salary (again...), with very limited prospects of progression.

Joy.

AG

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interview was OK but I didn't get the vibe that it would lead to anything. That in the middle of another day of observing large scale stupidity on my current project, and it wasn't a good day.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, I have just been told that the 2ii I got twenty two years ago is likely to be a big disadvantage if I apply to train into the NHS.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A FUCKING BICYCLE WEPT!

Thank God for the allotment is all I can say.

AG

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

2ii?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second class honours degree - 2:2 degree (or a Desmond), Degrees here come as 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, (that lot can all be honours degrees), pass and fail.

These days a lot of post graduate occupations demand a 1st or 2:1 - including teacher training, except for science or maths, which will take 2:2s.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's the utter ignorance of everything I have learnt and done in the intervening 22 years - more than half my life, and my entire career thus far, I should point out - that I find so depressing.

Maybe I should just fuck trying to care about what I do, fuck trying to care about people, fuck trying to do anything useful to humanity, and just grow cabbages instead? Tonight's was a cracker, first spring cabbage of the year, and at least as satisfying as 95% of what I've done over the last 22 years.

Gonna need a bigger allotment...

AG

[ 13. May 2015, 21:01: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I was told if you had a 2ii and wanted to get into postgrad training you could compete with those with a 2i or 1st by doing an MSc.

You can do cross credit stuff with the OU, which will sometimes credit relevant experience.

[ 13. May 2015, 21:09: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Sorry, misinformation, googled - OU won't credit studies over 16 yrs ago anyway (and only what looks like credit from modules from partially completed courses).

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, I can't even begin to imagine the frustration of this. Although I am deeply envious of your allotment success.

Strange turns are emerging for me.... my plan has been to have the summer off and look for part time freelance IT work over the winter. But on Monday I was invited to look at an admin/reception post at a nearby care home that is opening later this summer - it looks like I would be a good fit for it, and it could be part time. It's not what I had planned, but it would be so good from so many angles - one is that I could walk to work for the first time ever, another is that it should be far less stressful than what I would otherwise be looking for, they don't expect anyone to start until the autumn, and it would still give me time for the allotment! I've already lined up a meeting with the manager on Saturday at their recruitment fair to discuss this role and also having a Messy Church there. Interesting times.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

These days a 2:1 (2i) won't necessarily cut it for research without additional relevant experience. (My daughter has a 2:1 MEng and couldn't get funding for a PhD until after she'd worked in industry for a few years.)

The SLT* role I am currently doing by default, alongside the tutor and exams officer roles, has been advertised as a full time job at a good £15k above what I'm getting, which was pretty much what I expected. I am under pressure to stay on should this role be filled, although that doesn't sound that likely at the moment; apparently only 2 people have been shortlisted. Any advice on ways of removing the "mug" or "masochist" stamped on my forehead?

There really are moments when I have the thought of "above my pay scale" running through my head, as when I drew the short straw of leading the staff morning briefing (again) yesterday following an incident the day before. Then had go through it again with the volatile students when the new procedures had to be enforced. Which meant a lot of abuse from one of the students before I went off to deal with my own. (The ones I pre-emptively dealt with were more amused than annoyed, thank goodness.)

Fortunately the tutors were grateful, and even more so when I came back clutching pastries. But I missed Guides last night round dealing with that lot and the report that needed rewriting for the meeting today. (The quality assurance bit of my role that I so didn't want.)

*SLT - Senior Leadership Team

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
These days a 2:1 (2i) won't necessarily cut it for research without additional relevant experience. (My daughter has a 2:1 MEng and couldn't get funding for a PhD until after she'd worked in industry for a few years.)

Obviously eighteen of them just doesn't cut it.

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016