homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferijen said:
I would merge a) and c). 'During this time, I took a career break to spend time with my children, and took on a variety of part time roles including (x, y, z) in order to work around my family commitments.'

You don't need to explain why you took 10 years, the employers won't need to know the ages of their children.

(clumsily edited for top of page)

With that in mind, I'd agree with Ferijen.

AG

[ 12. February 2015, 09:56: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with both of you, but put emphasis on the teaching and national committees.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been invited for a telephonic job interview with an organisation from a European country, next Tuesday. I hope it will go alright, because it will be in the midst of Carnival here in Brazil, so chances of a quiet conversation will be rather small.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't panic too much, LeRoc - I've had a telephone interview in the park next to my then workplace, and been interrupted by a passing tractor... despite which I still got through to he next round!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The interview was horrific. I dried up like nobody's business, but what was more scary was the girl interviewing me and she was something like Mussolini's twin sister. Her dark curly locks were tossed all over the place, red talons waving in the air, and all sorts of other things which made me think - i could not work for you.

I hope I get it for my pride but don't think I will. I hope, if I do, I will say no.

Technically I can't afford to be picky but this job I'm in has tampered with my health and so I feel the need to protect myself

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Curiosity Killed: Thank you very much indeed for that link on the last page]
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My current situation is that I've been working in the same job for the last 14 years and for the last decade I've really struggled with my mental and physical health. I've had a lot of sickness, particularly in the last year, and my current bosses boss (newly promoted, wants to make an impression etc etc) is in the process of giving me an attendance warning for my sickness.

The reality is that there is no real prospect that having a letter telling me to turn up more is going to suddenly make me better and I'm still going to be mad on occasions and unable to work. I have a strong suspicion that this is an attempt to manoeuvre me out the back door by sacking me due to non attendance. This would save them a significant amount of money.

As it has been more than 14 years since I last looked for work I know nothing about it. My question really is at what point do I start looking for other jobs? Is it better to do it when I have a warning on my record which will, presumably, form part of any reference my current employer would provide or is it better to wait til I've lost my job and apply for work saying I had my employment terminated due to ill health and non attendance? I can't see either option making me the top of the list of people to employ unfortunately.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:

As it has been more than 14 years since I last looked for work I know nothing about it. My question really is at what point do I start looking for other jobs? Is it better to do it when I have a warning on my record which will, presumably, form part of any reference my current employer would provide or is it better to wait til I've lost my job and apply for work saying I had my employment terminated due to ill health and non attendance? I can't see either option making me the top of the list of people to employ unfortunately.

Whatever the details are I would suggest that looking for work when you have work is better than doing so when you are out of work. Perhaps you could emphasize that after 14 years (quite a lot of shift work IIRC) you need a change.

Just my 2d. Remember to check with your union and best wishes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
... an attempt to manoeuvre me out the back door by sacking me due to non attendance ...

If your non-attendance is due to illness, couldn't some form of "retirement* on the grounds of ill-health" be worked out?

* I have no idea how old you are (and I'm not asking) but a contemporary of mine was given early retirement in his early 30s when he developed MS and became unable to work.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corporate bullying is a serious problem. And so destructive as I'm finding out. There is no access to truth, goalposts are moved and so the ability to fight, reason, discuss - totally taken away from you and so one is disempowered.

And this is what happened to me. A couple of days ago, the announcement about my impending redundancy was sent out. After a month of a gagging clause surrounding me, and having asked a couple of people whether I could tell others, I did so. And they went mental at work. I was told that today would be my last day. Apparently, I wasn't meant to tell anyone. There was going to be a bigger piece of comms surrounding my redundancy. I'm psychic at times but not that good. As it happens I am on planned leave today, so i was told I can come in next MOnday to tidy things up. Oh the irony, we need you, we don't need you.

I'm in two minds whether to get signed off sick or what - I want to say goodbye to folk and leave properly and not slip out, but I will think about that over the weekend. There's a corporate counselling service, nobody's thought of giving those details to me. Outplacement support which is available - not discussed.

The patronising thing, I'm being told that this is the best thing for me. I think I decide what is best for me. Not some corporate tosser.

And I've got an interview today, been up since 4am with the stress and worry - tho I'm not sure what I'm stressed and worried about. I don't know whether to postpone the interview or what.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beenster, that sucks more than a Hoover. I'd be more than half-tempted to say go to your interview, keeping at the back of your mind what a load of tossers your present employers are, and how much you want to escape from them, and give it your best shot!

Having said that, you're possibly not feeling at your most impressive, and it certainly wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for a postponement.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
The patronising thing, I'm being told that this is the best thing for me. I think I decide what is best for me. Not some corporate tosser.

Sounds familiar [Waterworks] .
It is still utterly beyond me how any group of people can decide that the best way to help somebody with mental health issues is to force them to move house 100 miles away unexpectedly, in less than a month. And nobody suggested to me that I could file a grievance. And being too frazzled to think straight is not much of a defence legally.

[Votive] Beenster

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

JoannaP that is a horrid and patronising scenario. Moving 100 miles is hugely stressful at the best of times but when it's forced on you - well it can't be.

I went to the interview. I don't know if it's the greatest job for me.

Tomorrow is the last day at work. I want to do things right - I want to keep my integrity and morality and not stoop to their levels but I will see how I am tomorrow.

I know, I'm grieving, I'm bitter and broken by the process. There are man positives that will come up but I rage against the injustice, poor handling and poor management, shifting goalposts. I will never know the truth.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayer for you tomorrow Beenster [Votive]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I didn't get the job working with prostitute red nailed girl, I can't say I'm disappointed completely, I would have liked to have been offered the role but I wouldn't have flourished.

Day 2 of no work and it's doesn't feel good. My send off from work was an embarrassment, people didn't know i was going but I did get given a box of chocolates from the team along with a sainsburys voucher. The chocolates had previously been won in a raffle by the lady who gave them to me - how do I know that - well I was there when she won them. I was treated like sh*t

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That really stinks. You are well out of there, even if it does leave you with some immediate problems.

[Votive] for you to find an employer who will appreciate you and treat you properly.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Seconded. What a gruesome situation to have been in.

AG

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Thank you so much guys. Yes, I feel as if I have been wronged but I will rise again. They took my job, but they can't take my soul, my spirit, my joy, my hope or anything else. I grieve for my job - how weird is that - but that will pass. I want to move on but at the moment I'm so very very tired and raw.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's the spirit, Beenster - don't let them win (not that they have - they've lost you as an employee, and that's their loss).

Take a week or two of rest and relaxation - if possible maybe have a wee break somewhere or a day out - and then start thinking about what you want to do next.

The same profession, but with a different employer? A change of direction? Training or re-training? You're obviously thinking positively already, so if you can see this as a door opening rather than a door closing, you'll be half-way there.

Best of luck! [Smile] [Votive]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lost my job almost a decade ago, I experienced the most intense grief of my life. Take the time to grieve, Beenster.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beenster [Votive]

I hope you are able to have some space to grieve before you move on. My leaving the last place T was employed was somewhat similar.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Axe murder] Beenster [Axe murder] [Votive]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seriously thinking about a different direction in my job, still educational (and even at the same place), and wrestling with it. Please pray.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Beenster, I would avoid going back to the same place like the plague. Even if it's a different part of it, anywhere that lets crap like that go on has big problems.

Meanwhile, I found this in an advert, and wonder whether it adds a whole new meaning to "job for life"...

"We offer our staff an employer contribution pension scheme, health care plan, death in service, free parking, staff discounts and 25 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays"

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bollocks!Bollocksbollocksbollocksbollocks!

Just had a call from an agency about a job that sounded interesting - turns out that it's a company I had an interview with a few years ago, was really impressed by, and was beaten to the post only by someone with more relevant experience.

Since then they've moved from Oxford to Welwyn Garden City...

Argh!

AG

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I'm touched and very moved by such kindnesses and people taking the time and trouble to write / post / understand / care - not least for some strange faceless person at the end of the internet.

I apologise for not responding sooner to your warmth, but I found some warmth of my own and have been sailing in the sun for a week. It was nectar for the soul. I hate the expression of living in the now but when you sail, you really do. Nothing else matters. Much. Mostly. All you care about are the basics - food, water, shelter, how to pee at 45 degree angles, staying sane and jolly when cold and wet and tired and pukey. The sun, the moon, the stars, the dolphins, the pilot whales - all wonderful glorious things that enrich my soul. No mobile signal so no chance of troubling the self with distractions.

I've come back to some promising news but we will see what emerges. But, I'm questioning deeply what I want and my confidence has returned, and my inner child has some spark!

Thank you all folks, very very much. May you be blessed in abundance for your time and trouble. Now, I need my bed but the sofa is rocking still!

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

how to pee at 45 degree angles,

An interesting addition to your CV? [Biased]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Beenster, you're making me feel sea-sick. [Help]

Glad you had a good, revitalising break, and may your new-found confidence increase in spades!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Bollocks!Bollocksbollocksbollocksbollocks!

Just had a call from an agency about a job that sounded interesting - turns out that it's a company I had an interview with a few years ago, was really impressed by, and was beaten to the post only by someone with more relevant experience.

Since then they've moved from Oxford to Welwyn Garden City...

Argh!

AG

Go for it! Well, that's my advice. You were well regarded a few years ago, it's not as if they tossed you out with the dishwater first rounds. The fact that someone with a better skillset for that particular role doesn't mean that you might not be the best person for this role. Dress up your conversations with the agency that you have always regarded this company well, you have hoped that the other person succeeds in the role that you applied for to demonstrate they made the right decision and the best thing for the business. All sorts of things to indicate that you would be really honoured to work for this company. As for the commute, investigate whether you might work from home one day a week - or something? Or, that they would consider you staying over once a week (company pay halves) or something? Or what about if it were to work out that you might relocate?
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sadly, it's a no-no. We're talking at least four hours a day spent commuting, 640 miles a week. It's lab-based work so no opportunity to work from home, and my partner isn't going anywhere so relocation is out.

AG

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Oh sorry to hear that, it's a real bummer.

Updates from me, one job that seemed really good - they want me to jump through hoops to get the job - assessment centre, psychometric testing, etc - I'm too old for all this nonsense and it's a small company and I'm a secretary - not a board director. I will see tho. Not burning bridges.

I've pushed back on a temp role, I'm too tired from my holiday. They may want me to start next week which would work.

The third - well I'm not so sure. I didn't like the guy at interview and so feel unsure about the direction of that, but again, I will see.

I feel like being choosy but then it's early days.

In the meanwhile, online forms sent through for unemployment benefit.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I would be extremely wary of anyone you don't like the look of at interview.

There are too many bullies and psychos out there as it is.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wise words, Sandemaniac.

If you'd be working either for or with this bloke and you have an instant "whatever the opposite of rapport is", I'd give him a wide berth.

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

What a difference a week's holiday makes!

Before holiday, it was desperation city, clutching at straws, and - "any job will do" (to the theme "any dream will do").

Scary prostitute red nail girl offered me temp to perm job and I've stalled her and now there's an icy silence, she wanted to speak today but I said - "at the end of the week".

It's early days in the job hunting so I'm feeling choosy. Whether I feel like that in a fortnight or so I don't know.

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Job interviews are a bit like a blind date.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Except you are considerably more likely to be screwed on an interview.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Y'know, looking at last night's post, I should probably avoid posting on this thread when I've been rummaging round job ads - it brings out a small country's worth of cynicism in me. [Hot and Hormonal]

AG

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I did laugh!
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Oh good, I feel better about that - especially as poor Caissa has been on the wrong end of a couple of my outbursts!

Just looking at an ad - they want to know my current salary and salary requirements. Well, that should be a laugh as it's considerably more junior than I am now, but it's the sort of post I may have to take to make the transition into industry...

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Would it be worth it for the increased job satisfaction, especially if there are better prospects?

When D. made the transition from music teacher to full-time (but not really paid as such) Cathedral organist he took a 50% cut in his salary, and did much the same when we moved here from Northern Ireland, but it was worth it in "well-being" terms; we both agree that coming here was a very good thing. [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's certainly a possibility, Piglet, within limits.

My concern is that I will be seen as far too expensive to take on because I'll just sod off to something better paid. The university structure, with an annual increment, makes it very hard to see at what level you fit outside, and when postdocs are being recruited at less than my current salary...

Beyond that... if I can pay the bills, it's worth considering. But not within the University. I had my pay hacked by a third and had the humiliation of having to apply for regrading, only to be regraded to a point on the next band with the same salary as the one on the band below I'd started at. If they want to do that again, they can fuck right off! [Mad]

AG

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Feel somewhat embarrassed to announce that I have been offered a job - it's a small company, what I think is the location really floats my boat. It's on a small complex with a brewery (the smell of hops is intoxicating) but also a holistic centre, yoga / pilates studio / as well as local "stuff" (I live in Cumbria so local stuff is gorgeous).

I don't know how the job will pan out, I did blag in the interview, and it's technically a maternity cover. Contract for 14 months.

I'm relieved to have work, signing on today was an adventure into heavy patronisation land - omg - it was rough. They meant well, they were nice ......

Thank you to the many who have been with me in this. It's meant a lot.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Feel somewhat embarrassed

Don't be! It's about time someone here had some real positive news!

That said, I may bite your arm off with jealousy... especially with a brewery next door, I'd be in there like a shot making myself known!

Good luck with it!

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Beenster - [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Beenster! [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Beenster - that sounds brilliant. Maternity leave is one of those things that does change as new mothers re-plan around the new disruption in their lives.

I had six months probation meeting yesterday which was *interesting*. I've been doing what is now a steadily diminishing part of the job for nearly two years, but only on a permanent contract since October. That contract took three months to follow the interview for a permanent post and was when I finally saw a job description and had it confirmed quite how badly I'd been stitched up at the interview.

My new line manager started in November and was unaware that the July interview I had thought was for a permanent contract for my original role wasn't. It was an unpleasant experience which started with a personal attack for what I was wearing (knee-length shorts, it was a hot INSET day), so it took a while to dawn on me that I was being interviewed for an entirely different role that hadn't been advertised, without a job description (until it was written in October) and which included management aspects which I was under huge pressure to agree to but refused at interview (been there, got the t-shirt, know I'm crap at it and don't want to go there again) although I did agree to take on some additional responsibilities.

When we started back in September there was confusion about my role, shared by not just me but also my then line manager and the administrator. I was pulled out of the training session I was leading to attend a meeting of the managers. And was then singled out with a list of things I was going to do, including all the management stuff I had refused at interview.

Six months on, poor new line manager thought he was going to sign off a probation period to be told I really didn't want to come off probation because it ties me into a longer notice period and I had no intention of staying past getting the current year 11s through the exams and coursework deadlines

And having burnt my boats now I really need to start putting job applications together properly. (I have been keeping an eye out for a while)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Remind me again why you were trying to persuade me that teaching was a good idea... [Two face]

Seriously, though, that's shocking. It makes you wonder what other dark deeds are going on beneath the surface.

I have no idea what, but if you can think of anything I could do to help, you know where I am.

AG

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suddenly find myself joining the ranks here.
It's been a year of disasters - I was injured at work, then had an accident whilst off work, so currently am signed off with a broken shoulder. Thing is, as a result of the injury at work, the pupil who caused it has changed schools and, as I was employed directly to teach that one pupil, my job no longer exists. Seven days' notice and I find myself unemployed and still not able to use my arm fully for at least another month.

One ray of light on the horizon is that there is a job advertised at the same school and I am applying for that. Sounds like I might stand a chance, though I'm not banking on it, and it's not necessarily for a start before September so I'd have to do supply in the meantime. It's such a dilemma, though - there are other jobs I am applying for in the meantime but I don't particularly want to take a job I like less, especially in teaching where changing jobs has an impact upon the children you're working with, but then I can't guarantee that I will walk into the one I want.... and ESA payments don't even scratch the surface of my rent!

Trouble with teaching is that, while it's in generally easier to get a job when you've got a job (and certainly easier than when you've got a broken shoulder), teaching interviews are usually whole day affairs, with a part day visiting the school in advance, so to take a teaching role "for the time being" would also be rubbish because of the difficulty of cover when you were out looking for other work, and the time commitment in the evenings of writing applications when you've got lessons to plan.

I don't like this very much.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bloody hell, Smudgie, what a situation!

I'm not sure what to say, beyond offering a virtual brew-up?

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

What Sandemaniac said - sending virtual hugs and GIN.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016