homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday!!!!! (sorry, but I can't change the grumpy face)

[ 27. May 2013, 07:06: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, happy birthday Huia!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woot! HB Huia!

Chez Curly is in a state of chaos this week with my 50th party here on Sat night. 100+ guests, and friends playing live music.

Off to buy the liquid refreshments tomorrow. Yikes!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoa ... Huia happies:

I would say "hari rā huritau" but as that is in a foreign language, and despite its meaning "happy birthday", it might be frowned upon [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:

I'm tired, but I love my job :-)

I used to, but I'm struggling at the moment. On the other hand, at the moment I still have one, and you have soon only half a one, so I should shut the **** up.

[ 27. May 2013, 10:03: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Birthday bubblies to you youngies – Huia 60 wow!! Mr C 50 golly gosh!! May you both have many blessings in store in the next decade.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many, many happies, dear Huia! Someday, if you're good, you may be as old as I.

Not that either of us is a patch on GG!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks everyone.

Mr Curly, I don't think I could cope with that many. I'm definitely an introvert.

I forgot to say it's also Adam Pater's bithday as I remember we are ship twins (though some years apart as far as I know).

I am now going to toddle off to bed as the overnight temperature is forecast to drop to 0 degrees celcius here tonight. One happy result of the quakes - and losing my chimneys, is that I now have a heat pump so the house won't be too cold when I wake up. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bother... too late, I am.

Happies, Huia. [Yipee]

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And to you, Adan Pater. Was thinking of my lovely visit back there in the mists of time.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feeling very glad that (1) having returned from Matarangi on Saturday we put the warm sheets and winter duvet on the bed (2) we can batten down the hatches and stay inside all day and (3) as soon as the sun returns I can go out and photograph the first flowers on the winter-blooming kowhai that will continue to have flowers until the others start in September.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Rexory, how is the half-time parish actually going to work when now you're doing over 40 hours?

Huia

One of life's great mysteries - they will have to be three Tardis days, methinks! I think I rename myself "Father Who"!

Many happies, too, you young thing [Smile]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated birthday greetings to Huia, Adam Patar and Mr Curly, many happy returns [Yipee]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! The Festival of Mr Curly begins on Saturday, and runs for 16 days!

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow Mr Curly, you really know how to celebrate.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I was just a wee tad grumpy with my head of maintenance this morning when he told me I hadn't booked the chapel for a chapel service. I don't think he expected such a rich vocabulary display in response.

[Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I was just a wee tad grumpy with my head of maintenance this morning when he told me I hadn't booked the chapel for a chapel service. I don't think he expected such a rich vocabulary display in response.

[Mad] [Mad]

Why on earth would a chaplain want a chapel for a chapel service. You are so unreasonable, Zappa! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Sorry!

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

The marquee has been raised, but in bad news, my bestie from Perth spent three hours waiting to depart Bogan City for Party City before the flight was cancelled. [Waterworks]

Leaves a big hole in the band!

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:

[Mad] [Mad]

Goodness, fancy discovering that ordained people are human too [Eek!]

He needs to get out more.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG. A frickin hilarious video about Hitler finding out about Rick Smith running for Archbish of Sydney.

[Killing me]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
quote:

[Mad] [Mad]

Goodness, fancy discovering that ordained people are human too [Eek!]

He needs to get out more.

A bad day got worse after that - my principal hung me out to dry, as he has hung all my predecessors out to dry, over an unfortunate incident that he decided to amplify (and save his arse). It will make it much easier to tender my resignation, sooner rather than later, but I cannot play that card just yet.

To top it off I got a speeding ticket that day, too. [brick wall]

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just thought I'd pop a note on here to say I'm joining you all. From the UK to NZ for at least a year. Gosh so excited and terrified.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh how exciting Macrina. What are you going to do in Enzed?
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nursing. It's a bit of a massive change for me from living basically in Birmingham to a little town of about 40,000 people where I know no one. But I feel that it's one of those things I've wanted to do basically since I first landed in NZ over 4 years ago so...I'm doing it.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cool. [Cool] . Go you!
Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

You'll get a welcome if you come our way.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Hey Macrina, if you're anywhere near Christchurch send a PM. most of us natives are friendly.

Huia

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Good on you Macrina. As they say you NEVER regret the things you do, only the things you don't do. I'm sure that you will have culture shock moving to a small town but it wouldn't be worth doing if you were going somewhere that was too much like home. I've always found New Zealand a really lovely place, with friendly natives [Smile] Don't forget to cross the ditch and come visit us ozzies sometime.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I just thought I'd pop a note on here to say I'm joining you all. From the UK to NZ for at least a year. Gosh so excited and terrified.

Good move to Godzone ... I miss it

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
Nursing. It's a bit of a massive change for me from living basically in Birmingham to a little town of about 40,000 people where I know no one. But I feel that it's one of those things I've wanted to do basically since I first landed in NZ over 4 years ago so...I'm doing it.

Enjoy yourself Macrina and prayers that your time in NZ is fruitful. Just remember that a town of that size either in NZ or her is not small; a town of 350 is.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Gee D having just re-read Macrina's post I was going to post exactly what you did. It's only in about the last 15-20 years that a settlement of 20,000 (or a Cathedral) was all that was needed for a population centre to become a city.

It's definitely winter now. We had such a warm autumn I wondered when it would happen, but last week we had a sleety blast, followed by a brilliant couple of days, and now the rain. Georgie-Porgy has fallen in love with the heat pump, but I am reserving judgement until I get the power bill [Eek!] .

Huia

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Today I am 60, which seems so weird - I don't feel that old.

Slightly late Happy Birthday from me.

I know what you mean about not feeling it - I turned 50 earlier in May, and I'm sorry, but it just isn't computing. My mum, at 79, tells me her head feels about 35 (she thinks her body is around 85) so I have a good example. 35 was a good year, I might stick there too.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia , that used be the rule of thumb here, along with a very vague requirement that the town be an independent centre. That made it hard for large suburbs - such as Parramatta and Liverpool in NSW. These days, it's pretty much population alone. I'd be very surprised if many mayors knew if there were a cathedral or not.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yay - I have not become suddenly deafer - one of my hearing aids had a cracked tube which I discovered when it finally broke. Even better - it only cost $10 to replace.

It's such a relief [Yipee] .

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Rescuing this from the second page to announce to Aussie snow bunnies that Coronet Peak in Queenstown is open and skiable.

(though why anyone would want to is beyond me [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Rescuing this from the second page to announce to Aussie snow bunnies that Coronet Peak in Queenstown is open and skiable.

(though why anyone would want to is beyond me [Roll Eyes] )

I tried once. I kept falling over on the nursery slope and being picked up while my kids whizzed past saying 'Hi Mum!'
But you should see my 7-year old grandson in Canada flying down the slopes and sailing over all the jumps.

Huia, enjoy the heat pump. Ours is set at 18° and goes on for 2 hours every morning, and after that we put it on as required. On a sunny day the room warms up anyway. Did you read about the woman who just left it on 24/7 and got a gigantic electricity bill?

GG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I will be passing through the shaky isles for 48 hours this week - sadly too brief a visit to say hi to anyone this time

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Well, well the St Paul of our time.

Socceroos coach has obviously been attending a Sydney Anglican church

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Evangeline, have you seen Lothlorien lately? I don't like to keep asking her brother.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Sadly no GeeD. She's not been at St Docs of late (must be months), unless she's coincidently been there the few Sundays I haven't. I'm going to check up with Minister etc as she doesn't seem to be responding to PMs.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Evangeline, I've been concerned about her too,

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien is still blogging here.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Thanks TB. What a relief to know that she is still about. Taking a break from the ship, I expect.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Ditto
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

RE Loth - That's good to know,

I am feeling sorry for myself after tripping over an uneven footpath. I have a small lump on my head and have probably bruised ribs and strained wrist muscles. Fortunately it was in a fairly deserted area of town so I didn't have an audience. I watch kids in the playground bounce back really quickly after a fall, but it seems as you get older it takes a bit longer.

Huia

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:

I am feeling sorry for myself after tripping over an uneven footpath. I have a small lump on my head and have probably bruised ribs and strained wrist muscles. Fortunately it was in a fairly deserted area of town so I didn't have an audience. I watch kids in the playground bounce back really quickly after a fall, but it seems as you get older it takes a bit longer.

Huia

Sympathies, Huia. Just keep saying "I fell over", not "I had a fall". The latter is only for old people! [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you Tree Bee. We thought we may have seen her at the Coronation Memorial Service at CCSL, but she was not there.

Plenty of rest for you Huia. Take your nurofens, sit with your feet up, a good cup of tea next to you and a book to fall asleep over. Best wishes.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
RE Loth - That's good to know,

Huia

Sympathy sent from my sore foot (doctor says plantar fasciitis) to your sore bits. It might take a bit longer but hey! we'll get there.

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And prayers for Rowen as her region of Victoria floods.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016