homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biopsy was OK, but the whole process will have to be repeated in 3 months as the symptoms are persisting.

Bugger.

I know I'm not being rational about this, but it seems like a form of medical torture.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a way, Huia, that's not such bad news. It does mean that if something is wrong, it will be picked up early in the piece. Early treatment is much better than late. Prayers continuing.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thamks Gee D - I'm a bit more rational today so that makes sense.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not pleasant ... prayers and thoughts continue. Medical uncertainty is always so unsettling.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Front page of the Goulburn Post today reads BISHOP COMES HOME. The bish of Canberra/Goulburn wants to spend half his week in each city and has bought a house near the cathedral in Goulburn. He is the first pointy hatted one in 65 years to have a residence there. As he has landed right next to the Exclusive Brethren, I imagine there might be some interesting conversations across the side fence!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, there were people in the brethren group I was once in who would not enter a church at all, even for a wedding or funeral. They might be contaminated and I was always suspect even after many years because I came from Anglican background. This group was not exclusives, on the way but were orthodox in doctrine.

Have been at son's place in Central Coast this week. He's settling in to weekend access visits and living by himself. Also adjusting to premier's sweep through of his department and is one of the last to hear if his job is safe. Looks OK but nothing official yet.

Back on his medication after many years and adjusting to that too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Have been at son's place in Central Coast this week. He's settling in to weekend access visits and living by himself. Also adjusting to premier's sweep through of his department and is one of the last to hear if his job is safe. Looks OK but nothing official yet.

Back on his medication after many years and adjusting to that too.

What wonderful news!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's great Loth.

[Votive] for those I have missed.

For anyone in Melbourne on the third (tomorrow) there is a Gymanfa Ganu at St. Michael's UCA in Collins Street where my choir, the Australian Welsh Male Choir will be singing along with the Victorian Welsh Male Choir, the Melbourne Welsh Male choir and the Geelong Ladies Welsh Choir. It is usually a great occasion.

So I don't get into trouble: "What is a Gymanfa Ganu? Its literal translation is a gathering or assembly for the purpose of singing. For any Welsh person it means hymn singing - in Welsh and in four part harmony."

[ 01. March 2013, 22:02: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drat! It is at 3PM. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emli, are you still booked in for Wednesday? Prayers and best wishes.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Deep sorrows at our school these past 24 hours. I'll be with our senior staff at Borroloola today taking the body of a 13 year old boy home to his community. [Tear]

Nasty brown stuff is hitting the media fans.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How terribly, terribly sad [Tear] [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Zappa, that's just tragic. Prayers for the young boy, his family, friends and the college.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Zappa, that's just tragic. Prayers for the young boy, his family, friends and the college.

[Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

From my heart too – and for your part in dealing with the situation.

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arleigh
Shipmate
# 5332

- Posted      Profile for Arleigh   Email Arleigh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Posts: 388 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Bother ... just sent you all a newsy update but closed the page by accident. I'm back from 24 hours in the young fella's community, down near the Queensland Border in the Gulf Country. It's been an important 24 hours and thanks to your prayers and many others I think much has gone well. I'll have to make a few more visits in the coming weeks.

Amazing scenery flying back on the mail plain, at 800 m above the Gulf wetlands around the Roper River region. and Sir Edmund Pellew Islands region If I'd only had a camera, but everything happened at such short notice.

There'll be a lot more sorry business yet, for school and community.

Thanks so much for your prayers.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(The community is about 120 kms south of Borroloola)

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And prayers for you, also, Zappa in having to carry out your various tasks here.

A few years ago, the parents of a Preppie - he would have been 10 or 11 - were going through a very nasty divorce. The boy's body was found, in his bedroom, electrocuted. No-one knows what really happened, but it's hard to think that someone that age could have formed an intention. The Chaplain said that it was the hardest funeral he had ever had to take.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crazy, crazy world.

[Votive] [Votive] for you Zappa.

A question for you clever people:

I've been shafted by the accountant dealing with my mother's Self Managed Super Fund ( I look after my mother's finances).

I want to lodge a complaint about him but from what I can gather, the accounting industry in Australia is self regulated and there are three industry bodies that take complaints.

The problem is this accountant is not registered with any of them so I cannot go to them to lodge a complaint.

Anyone have any other ideas? I can't seem to find an accounting ombudsman, only a financial one.

TIA

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This body deals with complaints about Super, it would be worth looking at the page about their jurisdiction to see if they can deal with the issue. Of course, caution is required because in the SMSF context, you/your mother/whoever is Trustee might be "responsible" for what the accountant has done.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Lord, but the Big House does look good with $5,000 worth of floristry in it and $4,000 worth of new textile work. I have had a lot of fun as the displays have gone in, ready for the big bash next week when the old girl turns 150. The floristry and lighting students from local institutes have done amazing things, and the teachers were very happy to get the opportunity to dress up a heritage building. I'd say that's a win/win all round! [Smile]

Now we just need some proper photographers to take some good pics. You can follow the adventures of Goulburn Cathedral on fb if you're interested.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello people. My first post this year to this thread! (Gosh, where has the year gone?)

I've been... distracted by... various things... involving stuff.

But I digress. It's good to be back.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back Nunc. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Canberra Day has been and gone. I made the mistake on Friday night of trying to drive through the city on my way home from Goulburn - I usually go round it, but there are a lot of roadworks atm. The place was jam packed with people flocking to the lake for all the celebrations. Last night's fireworks spectacular also meant gridlock and half hour queues for comestibles.

TP & I ignored it all, in favour of a quiet night in, though we could have walked there if we had wanted. Must be getting old! The BBC nominated Canberra on its "most boring capital cities in the world" list. We are doing all we can to keep it there. [Razz]

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Canberra Day has been and gone. I made the mistake on Friday night of trying to drive through the city on my way home from Goulburn - I usually go round it, but there are a lot of roadworks atm. The place was jam packed with people flocking to the lake for all the celebrations. Last night's fireworks spectacular also meant gridlock and half hour queues for comestibles.

TP & I ignored it all, in favour of a quiet night in, though we could have walked there if we had wanted. Must be getting old! The BBC nominated Canberra on its "most boring capital cities in the world" list. We are doing all we can to keep it there. [Razz]

We drove in. We arrived just before 3pm and left when the fireworks were over. We loved it. Choral performances, food (including my first choc-sprinkle-flake soft serve ice cream), the new symphony and then the amazing fireworks. With a slow walk around the lake to experience people, art and quirky happenings.

We parked in Barton and had no problem getting in or out. There was still quite a bit of traffic heading back (from the coast, presumably) on the highway so I guess others stayed well away.

There was no way Mum or I wanted to miss it.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Glad you had fun, Vulpior, and that you were able to get out ok. I guess it depended on which direction you were going. The ice cream sounds very brave. What did your Mum think of the symphony?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I'm going to meet my Grand-Zac (my only and new grandchild) this weekend [Yipee]

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi one and all,

Glad to be able to report some good news. I could have done it earlier on but with all that was happening to our friend Zappa and his school, I thought I'd wait a bit.

My operation was suddenly brought forward - not for any bad reason: simply, my surgeon suddenly felt that I was a suitable candidate for robotic surgery. THANK HEAVENS FOR THAT,

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Deo Gratias!

Hi one and all,

Glad to be able to report some good news. I could have done it earlier on but with all that was happening to our friend Zappa and his school, I thought I'd wait a bit. Our prayers are still with everyone up there, Zappa!

My operation was suddenly brought forward - not for any bad reason: simply, my surgeon suddenly felt that I was a suitable candidate for robotic surgery. THANK HEAVENS FOR THAT, is all I can say now.

I ended up being operated on on Wednesday 13th February, after having the offer made on the preceeding Friday afternoon. Between PAC and getting the next two weeks of liturgy done (including two Ash Wednesday services), just say the time flew bye.

The operation went for about 4.5 hrs, or so I have been told. With keyhole robotics I had five small incisions rather than a 'levi zipper', and I can honestly say that right from the start I had no post-operative pain. I was in hospital until the following Sunday morning. Since coming home the recovery has been constant.

I'm now seeing both a specialist physio on a weekly basis, and a nutritionist every 2 weeks. I am now walking for 25 -30 minutes twice a day, as well as the physio exercises designed to increase pelvic floor muscle control. The BIG hassle with prostate conditions is the loss of bladder control - some say it takes about 4-6 months for things to get under control.

Recovery rate is fantastic with the robotic - I missed only two Sunday services and feel (mentally and physically) ready for the demands of Passiontide and Holy Week. Besides too, the lifting restrictions (nothing heavier than a full kettle) will be phased out by then.

All in all, thiangs are gowing great. THANK YOU so much for all your prayers and support - knowing that people are praying for you is certainly a large contributing factor to recovery.

Deo gratias!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent news, EL! Take care.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news, EL.

[Yipee]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news, EL.

I can also report in with a good visit to the cardiologist yesterday. Ultrasound of the heart before and after vigorous exercise showed that it was functioning normally. That means the stented arteries are delivering blood to the heart under load as well as at rest, as they should. Back in 6 months.

Fortnightly visit with the psych today, much improvement with anxiety and concentration.

Likewise, thanks for your prayers.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That is very good news from you both, Emli and Mr Curly. Prayers continuing from us.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Yipee] EL & Mr C [Yipee]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yay!

I think I'll be worn out by all the celebrating before Easter at this rate. Today's projects: sewing 4 nun's habits, sourcing boater and top hats, and finding stick on sideburns, apron and gaiters.

Tomorrow is Parade day. Hope the rain holds off until the afternoon...

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news for all. Hope the recovery continues apace.

I have just undergone successful cataract surgery which means that I am looking at the screen for the first time without glasses in about 18 years.

Enjoy your time with your grandchild Zappa. My grandson is nine months old today, living in Katherine where my son is posted. We'll be up that way in June for his first birthday. My daughter is expecting our second in mid-September - could be a 60th birthday present for my wife.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oooh ... just down the road ... we could have a meet [Biased]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delighted to hear all the good health and recovery news. And Zappa, at 300 km, there would be longer driveways up your way, wouldn't there?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Just about. At any rate it's my neigjbouring parish.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canberra in March is simply heavenly.

This needs saying out loud occasionally.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Enjoy it Orfeo.

Well Marmite is back on NZ supermarket shelves [Yipee] Some shops are limiting sales while production increases. Personally I hate the stuff, but I know of several families where there will be rejoicing. I celebrated by putting several jars in the Methodist City Mission collection point at the supermarket.

The news that excited me today was that another block of the city is being freed up next month - the cordon is shrinking [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Interesting day in OZ politics.

Started a thread in purg.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shipmates in Sydney and Newcastle - I can now provide you with links for the two Pirate Church shows. YAY!

Sunday 14 April in Newcastle (Hamilton Uniting Church, 7.30pm) - you can see the Facebook event here, and the ticket booking site here.

Monday 15 April in Sydney (Paddington Uniting Church, 8.30pm) - you can see the Facebook event here, and the ticket booking site here.

If youse could all come and bring dozens of your mates, that would be grand!

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Flying out to Robinson River, about 1000 kms away, to complete the sorry business for our young lad today. Unfortunately in the interim the CEO of the community, with whom I stayed a fortnight or so ago, has also suddenly died. Please pray for the community and all involved.

--------------------

McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia said
quote:
Well Marmite is back on NZ supermarket shelves
What is the big fuss about Marmite not being available? I got back from overseas and there was national wailing and gnashing of teeth about it all. Now I couldn't care less about Marmite (or Vegemite for that matter), so I haven't even bothered to look it up, but I thought I'd finally ask someone. Are we running out of road tar in this hot weather or something?

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Flying out to Robinson River, about 1000 kms away, to complete the sorry business for our young lad today. Unfortunately in the interim the CEO of the community, with whom I stayed a fortnight or so ago, has also suddenly died. Please pray for the community and all involved.

[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Zappa, prayers from us on your sad mission.

This morning's Herald has the death notice for Lady Loane, widow of Sir Marcus, at the grand old age of 99. May she rest in peace and rise in glory. Prayers as well for those who mourn her.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Zappa [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by McChicken:
Huia said
quote:
Well Marmite is back on NZ supermarket shelves
What is the big fuss about Marmite not being available? I got back from overseas and there was national wailing and gnashing of teeth about it all.
The Feb 2011 quake took out the Sanatarium factory in Christchurch, the only place marmite was made in NZ. It wouldn't have worried me if they stayed closed, except that every time we get something back that was lost it feels like progress.

I knew marmite was popular with a lot of kids, but some adults too went absolutely crazy about its absence, paying inflated prices on Trade Me for half eaten jars. PT Barnum once said, "No one ever went broke underestimating public taste," which sums up the situation quite accurately.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016