homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight the Leading Edge is heading for 4°C with a big wind chill taking it down to a "feels like" of -2°C. I'll be standing in that wearing nothing but a pair of togs in the morning. I think I'll be diving in real fast (and be reluctant to get out) ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's polar bear stuff Zappa.

I'm glad I joined a gym with a lovely warm shower - first visit and the wonderful shower gel I bought to reward myself wouldn't open [Mad]

-3 overnight here and tomorrow's high is about 7c. Snow is forecast for the Peninsula, but not the city. Unfortunately I have 3 appointments spread over the day- thank goodness for a good bus service, a windproof coat and waterproof shoes, along with a couple of beanies.

[Votive] for those in substandard and yet to be fixed homes in Christchurch.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... I'll be diving in real fast (and be reluctant to get out) ...

That sounds like my philosophy when we went to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland - it was winter, and the outside temperature was hovering around the 0°C mark. Hot shower, quick dash, dive into hot spring and let the hailstones fall on your head.

Heaven on earth. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup. It was nippy but good (and hard to get out).

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NO no no no. I do not want to think about ice. Or cold. Or viruses. Or wind. Or winter. I shall sing the Smurf song in my head and pretend it is just a temporary sojourn in hell. Perhaps it will all go away. Eventually.

La, la lalalala...... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SMH has suburb just over road in front of me as four degrees feeling like one degree. That's barely ten minutes walk from river and not far as crow flies from harbour.

So I guess it's so what colder in Canberra.

I think my family has been taking drama lessons. Had Master Eight here last night unexpectedly last night and will be taking him home on train this afternoon. Minding him and his sister tomorrow, then more probable drama with another son and family at weekend.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grandson now here till Saturday. Will have to take him shopping as he arrived with only the clothes he was wearing yesterday.

Miss M is struggling with this lot of chemo. It's knocking her around and has put her back in a wheelchair. At least another four weeks, possibly five of it left.

[ 03. July 2014, 06:50: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
NO no no no. I do not want to think about ice. Or cold ... [Paranoid]

Come to sunny Newfoundland, where it's currently
24°C. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Day off today, getting the car ready for my trip to Sydney tomorrow. [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gorgeous day here, James, but cold nights.

Am minding eight year old grandson and entertaining him. Place looks like a graveyard for paper planes.

Have just updated my old iPhone's operating system and made sure it is all backed up. Now updating operating system on phone my son gave me the other night, then a restore, then activate a new SIM. Thank goodness my sons brought me up relatively tech savvy, at least a lot more than many others.

My old phone is well over 100 years old in phone years and son got a good deal on contract. Has passed his phone down to me. I have always had hand me down phones. No problem to me.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I'm the hander downerer! [Big Grin]

I have a Samsung S4 at the moment, looking at a Sony Experia. Lovely [Overused]

Off to bed soon for an early start.

[ 04. July 2014, 11:08: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh. I'm the owner of a real dinosaur. But I like my iphone3 despite the pitying glances of my grandchildren. Even the 2 year olds in the family have more modern technology than that thanks to all the hand me downs.

TP's phone is the most basic $20 mobile able to be found on the market. As he spends most of his time in the eighteenth century he dislikes having to have one at all, and takes it with him under duress. (ie: much nagging from his wife or daughters who occasionally need to know where he is.)

As for replacing sims, loading apps and programming new appliances; I thought that's what children and grandchildren were for...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New experia owner here.
Just learning.
Very upmarket!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I had reached the ripe old age of 50 before I got a mobile (it's a Samsung fold-up affair). I've worked out how to make it take photographs, but how to get them anywhere else is a complete mystery. I've sent a grand total of (I think) four text messages in the two years I've had it (and they took me ages) and the plan I have doesn't include use of the interweb, but TBH I don't care - all I really want it to do is make telephone calls.

And even though I don't use it very often, I wouldn't be without it now that I have it.

prehistoric piglet [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having radical thoughts about moving up to a touchscreen model as Samsung make a phone that would fit my needs almost perfectly - I may try and see it in the flesh at the Mall this morning but will probably buy online when I buy as that will be cheaper.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a completely decrepit, a kid referred to it as "really retro"-so polite [Smile] Nokia phone that doesn't take photos and can't access the web. I have an Ipad mini though so between the two of them I'm resisting getting an iphone but one day I shall have to succumb.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Work phone is a horrendous Simian Nokia which drives me mad. Theoretically it can access the internet but not really. Personal phone is a touch screen Alcatel One Touch that will need upgrading for 4G sometime soon, but having had a Smartphone I really hate my work phone's clunkiness. (Alcaltel are Android and producing phones with specifications that match the other phones at a much better price)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We bought a cheap mobile to contact hosts and friends during our UK trip in 2011; my plan was to bin it as we left but the Grandad said no, it MIght Come In™. And sure enough, when the operating system in NZ was changed it was exactly what we needed – to make and receive phone calls:'I'm just leaving the supermarket, so you can put the kettle on' or 'I left the shopping list on the bench; please can you read it out to me'. Son has programmes a one-key number for Home and another for Wonderful Son, and I can just cope with sending and receiving texts. What more do I need?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All my phones have been hand me downs. I was to pay out contract when son passed down his iPhone 4. I asked and asked and was told if they wanted the money they would tell me. In other words, forget it.

GG, that's how I straterd with phones. Then progressed to a picture or two which I would never have opportunity aagian of taking.

I certainly don't use phone as my sons do but do have other uses. Evernote is a very useful program for notes, studies etc, Even notes for shopping. I put knitting patterns onto it in PDF format and it syncs across to iPad. I can then enlarge complicated lace patterns to be easily seen. Not everyone's use, I admit, but very handy for me.

I don't have much music on it. Hearing aids preclude headphone usage for me and I would not inflict my choice of music on those around.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently there is no diesel left in Tennant Creek tonight. Just as well I filled up before dinner.

Feeling smug

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
We bought a cheap mobile to contact hosts and friends during our UK trip ...

D's brother-in-law got a couple of very basic pay-as-you-go mobiles for us to use last time we were home (even our service provider had said that at $70 it wasn't worth our while to make our Canadian mobiles work in the UK), so I expect we'll borrow them again next time we're over.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I'm in Sydney waiting to pick Ms. Confident up from the airport at 2120.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
6 NATIONAL KISSING DAY !

A bit late, but since it is so cold, this will warm you up! Start kissing!

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cool 6am start at the Marine Rescue Base.
Quite a few whales are making their way north. Waterspouts and breachings happening quite frequently. I wonder does the local whale watching boat really have to go 5 nautical miles offshore?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mobile is a Motorola 525 I picked up for $80 on ebay a couple of years ago. Works OK but could need less re-booting. Also, it used to be a Telstra phone and has Telstra apps on it that cannot be used. I looked at rooting it to remove them, but the risk of bricking it means I just try to ignore them.
I am starting to look out for a new one.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done, Father Bower!

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of him until reading about him in today's paper, but I like his style.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The guy's a star in my book - well done, Fr. Bower!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the link Kittyville.

Some of his critics need to know there's more to being Christian than quoting the Bible.

My good news for the day is that the driveway blokes are coming back with quotes tomorrow. At last. hopefully then I can sort out the plumbers, the insulation installers and the re-wirers. I am so fed up with all this.

Huia

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fr Rod Bower is a good friend and a remarkable priest! And as you might have guessed, also a remarkable communicator. [Smile] The new church in Gosford has a wonderful labyrinth in its carpet, worth looking at if you are ever in Gosford.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Job available at St Andrew's Cathedral in Sydney in new year. Ability to speak Engllish a must, other languages, especially Latin will be poorly regarded.

Applications to Dean Phillip.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sore legs after walking the magnificent 7km Ormiston Pound walk in West MacDonnell ranges. Amazing, ancient scenes.

A couple of Coopers Sparklings are helping.

Heading south to Kings Canyon tomorrow. Kids travelling well.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
The guy's a star in my book - well done, Fr. Bower!

I follow the noticeboard on Facebook. The SMH had an article on him on Monday.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah from the sublime to the ridiculous, Fr Bower in Gosford to the Dean of Sydney.

Surely the Dean must be retiring soon Loth, is it his job up for grabs? I heard a rumour that Philip hasn't been seen around the Cathedral much since his brother retired.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those who would like to see the discussion in the High Court on Monday evening, resulting in the interim injunction concerning the Sri Lankans. JARK is, of course, a pseudonym.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Ah from the sublime to the ridiculous, Fr Bower in Gosford to the Dean of Sydney.

Surely the Dean must be retiring soon Loth, is it his job up for grabs? I heard a rumour that Philip hasn't been seen around the Cathedral much since his brother retired.

I was poking around yesterday and found
this article by the Dean. Down near the bottom, after some self justification, is the announcement of a new company, Two Ways Ministries, based at Moore. He will be joining that. From the name, and his background, I guess it's possibly something from St Matthias.

[ 08. July 2014, 21:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien
was poking around yesterday and found
this article by the Dean. Down near the bottom, after some self justification, is the announcement of a new company, Two Ways Ministries, based at Moore. He will be joining that. From the name, and his background, I guess it's possibly something from St Matthias.

Oh my, what a very telling little piece that is. Self-agrandisment that is so extreme it borders on the blasphemous.

As for this

quote:
The process of appointing a Dean is “by the Archbishop with the concurrence of the Chapter”. The present Archbishop has invited the Chapter to share with him in the process of finding my successor. It is important that we pray for the Chapter’s wisdom as they consider this appointment. - See more at: http://phillipjensen.com/articles/pastoral-ministry-and-changes/#sthash.nVnalC7p.dpuf
Why deliberately exclude the Abp from the prayer request? Seems rather pointed.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

He certainly takes a lot of credit for anything, including school. Perhaps he's been drumming up congregations to provide future pupils?

Smug is not the word for the tone of the article. I could hardly bear to read it through.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Smug is not the word for the tone of the article. I could hardly bear to read it through.

Now for a rousing chorus; "O but it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way..."

I though he also sounded defensive about Pastoral care. He sounded like he though it only extended to getting a person, or sheep (back) into the fold, rather than caring for people in an ongoing way. Cold.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My memory of him will be the Carols broadcast on ABC a couple of years ago. Quite a few of us he watched for varying lengths.

Choir was good, especially considering limitations place on it by the Dean. Soloists were great.

Dean jumped up and down like a Jack-in-the-box, grinning all the time like a Cheshire Cat,to mix metaphors terribly. It was supposed to be something like Carols from Kings, but there was a lengthy sermon in the middle. I wrote to ABC and received a reply saying my complaint was similar to many received. He spoilt the whole thing.

[ 09. July 2014, 07:25: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Your observation about pastoral care is spot on Huia. The only priority is to convert, evidenced by assent to a doctrinal statement, he did actually write an article I remember basically saying it was nice to visit somebody in hospital but it really wasn't a priority compared to telling people there were 2 ways to live.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's statements like that that make me so glad I do not self-identify as Christian!

Which part of feeding the hungry, caring for the sick and visiting those in prison doesn't he understand?

Aha! All of them!

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday, I attended the funeral of baby Esther. Her life support had to be turned off a few days ago, because her heart and lungs were simply not up to the task. It has been hard time for the little one's family, and they are grateful for all the prayers which have been offered for her and them.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Rexory for telling us. We had been wondering if she were making progress. May Esther forever know the gentle arms of our Risen Lord.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Now, and in the future and especially for the next year, is the time for us, and especially their community to help them bear the burden of their loss. Some will want to gloss over the reality of her life in an attempt to ease their pain. But we must not be a part of that.

[Votive] Esther and her family [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, Rexory. I too have been wondering how she was as I prayed for her and her family.

Prayers continuing.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for Esther and all who mourn her.

Rest eternal grant unto her, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon her.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Holding her, her family and all who mourn her in the Light.

[Votive]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Tear]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

[Votive]
Esther. May she now grow perfectly in heaven into all God has purposed for her.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016