homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007 (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and incidentally, WK, the "L" at the end of "Popocatépetl" is virtually silent in traditional Nahuatl pronunciation. But that would kind of ruin the fun for your choir, I know...

Sorry to be such a kill-joy. [Hot and Hormonal] Oh dear--I'm turning into a Popocatépetl pedant! Maybe you could try saying that one ten times fast...

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can make me a Popocatepetl Pendant if you want Chickle.

My entry is Cotopaxi which seems far enough from the sea for me not to worry too much. It is also HIGH.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:
A map to follow when my technical assistant is back [Big Grin]

As promised! Googlemaps shows the eruption still going on, and a wider angle shows that the volcano is about 10 or 12 miles from the sea.

ijx

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by flags_fiend:
I like living life on the edge, and 60 miles is quite a long way from the sea - if you think about it loads of volcanoes form islands so will be v close to the sea anyway.

I know -- I think Rugasaw came up with the only method for getting much further out!
It took me about five attempts to find a volcano more than about 50 miles from the sea. I was rather chuffed when I remembered the Great Rift Valley and found somewhere still active and several hundred miles from the nearest coast.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh pooh. My link from before didn't w*rk...or I didn't do it right. Maybe this will be better for showing the Sangay volcano. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
You can make me a Popocatepetl Pendant if you want Chickle.

I'm not much of a jeweler so I don't know if I could make a pendant myself, but how about a Popocatépetl bracelet? (It's lovely enough I think I'd like to get one for me to wear!)

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose Stromboli and the Sciara del Fuoco which appears to have been erupting for the whole of the last 2000 years, so at least I qualify on the recent eruptions count!

Many thanks QM for accepting my rather cheeky pre-emptive entry for the previous round - would like to point out that my Cleveland 4 Boston 2 prediction is looking very good right now! (I'm a Blue Jays fan so obliged to support anybody playing against the Red Sox or Yankees.)

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose, "My boss."

He is the shape of a mountain and he blows his top all the time.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Wilkins in the Jennings books did a pretty good volcano. "I I I Corwumph!" if I remember correctly.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had bosses like that... (shudder)
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliminated for choosing a volcano that has actually swum in the sea.

Sharkshooter

Sharkshooter's Boss

Qualifiers:

Ann
Caty the Southerner
Comet
Davelarge
Doublethink
Flags Fiend
Golden Key
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Lady A
Pure as Snow
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
The Rogue

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND NINE : FLAGS

Another round that is often popular but I need to think of a new twist for this one.

You must find flags of many colours. To count as a colour the area of the flag must be easily distinguishable. The losing flag will be the one with the fewest colours.

Let's see how you fare with this one.

I need a link to an image of the flag together with your own estimate of the number of colours.

N.B. Apologies for spelling Color wrong.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

AND

I am not allowing THIS one.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You never said it had to be a national flag, so I'm going for the Rainbow flag. It's eight colors.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll set the bar with South Africa with six colours.

[Well, I would have done if Hart hadn't snuck in]

[ 17. October 2007, 21:44: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't like anyone's interest to flag. However, countries can be a little boring. I prefer to take pride in finding something a bit more exotic.

So herewith: A Flag of the American Revolution with, I think, eight colors. (Background, stars, line, flesh, banner, two-tone armour and hilt.)

[ 17. October 2007, 21:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I would loose if I chose this one, even though it is quite a cool flag!

So I'm going for this, as I rather like cricket, and who wouldn't want a flag witha beach/palm tree on it [Big Grin] I think it has 7 colours.

flags x (did the inspiration for this round have anything to do with my name?)

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ten colors, by my count. and the only flag I've ever seen with a penguin on it.

it's truly an awsome flag.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eight colours on these delightful flags. Would pair nicely with this doormat.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, I'll see your penguin and raise you a sea lion and a deer.

The flag of the Commissioner for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. I make that at least ten colours: red, white, blue, black, yellow, orange, green, brown, beige, and grey.

I reckon there's a case for arguing the blue on the little bow is a different shade of blue to the Union Jack, the rock under the sea lion (or whatever it is) is another shade of brown, and the eye slits in the helmet are a sort of burgundy. But trying to claim thirteen colours would be a bit greedy.

[ 17. October 2007, 22:50: Message edited by: caty the southerner ]

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a thought.
Whilst checking my post (To see how badly I stuffed up UBB again [Roll Eyes] and yes I use preview psot), I realised my sig came from the last quiz. Time to change.

Could we have a round where possible sigs are offered, four line max etc etc and vote on the best?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flag of Turkmenistan, "often described as the most detailed national flag in the world."

I count 5 colors: red, green, orange-yellow, white, and tiny bits of black.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Eliminated for choosing a volcano that has actually swum in the sea.

Sharkshooter

Sharkshooter's Boss

It's not my fault he didn't clear his travel plans with me.

All the best, my fellow quizzers.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Helpfully providing link to "fast fact" reference resources.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My flag is dear to my heart and has at least 8 colors.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall go for this, the Hawai'i Ko Aloha Flag and it has an interesting 10 colors. The nine background stripes represent the nine islands, and it was given in a dream to a descendant of King Kamehameha.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't you think that this is a particuarly pretty flag? It's the flag of the British Indian Ocean Territory, and I believe I count eight colors: red, white, blue, yellow, green, brown, black and gray.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by caty the southerner:
the sea lion (or whatever it is)

[Alaskan natural nerd hat]
it's a sea lion, because it has ears that you can see. sea lions also have rear flippers that turn forward i.e. towards nose, while seal rear flippers are more one integrated unit, like a tail, than two separate "feet".

[/ANNH]

as you were

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh man, Wikipedia rocks!

I choose the flag of Belize, which according to the website above, has 12 colours on it.

(And yes, I will be a pedantic Englishman and insist on spelling colours correctly.)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
also rans have all the fun - here's a flaggy puzzle for you (my guess was 3)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I said three, but I included the background as a colour (as otherwise the flag would fall apart).

--------------------

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll go for Ecuador with at least 7 colours.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Winnipeg Flag with 9 colours I think - coz that's where we're moving in 3 weeks and 1 day!

Now, back to organising that move....

ij x

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are seven colours on the flag of Tibet: yellow, red, blue, green, orange, black and white.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must admit, I rather like the flags from the Lord of the Rings. I'd like the Kings Hall Banner, Lothlorien, Rohan's...! I also found on Flags of the World site this treatment for Fictional Flags which are from books, movies, etc. Most that I found done were pretty simplistic, but amazing how many are there.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by caty the southerner:
the sea lion (or whatever it is)

[Alaskan natural nerd hat]
it's a sea lion, because it has ears that you can see. sea lions also have rear flippers that turn forward i.e. towards nose, while seal rear flippers are more one integrated unit, like a tail, than two separate "feet".

[/ANNH]

as you were

[zoology tangent continued]

I deduced that it couldn't be a walrus because of the island being in the southern hemisphere and the mammal in question not having tusks, but the distinction between seals and sea lions was too esoteric for me. I'm not exactly in the running to be the next David Attenborough, but at least I will recognise a sea lion when I next come across one!

I was really surprised by what looked like a reindeer on the flag, and thought I must be mistaken about that. South Georgia isn't exactly close to Scandinavia. But, no. There really are reindeer in the sub-antarctic, and have been since 1908.

[/zoology tangent]

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Question:

Why are there no flags with Pink in?

Answer:

There Are

Explanation:

Gay Pride

I claim 8 colours for the original design.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Hey guys (and gals) ... and those not sure ...

I found some more pink:

Transgender Flag One

Transgender Flag Two

Transgender Flag Three

No, I am not having a moment, I was just looking for pink.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

My flag has pink in it! The Hawaiians must just be ahead of everyone else.
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

I'm having one of "those" days today, and so this seemed an appropos choice for the flag round. White isn't technically a color, but I'm sure no one will mind me lowering the bar a bit...

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

It is a great shame as I like the flag which is new to me but we have to say that there are only five colours so you lose ....

Golden Key

The flag actually looks like a Turkish Carpet.

Qualifiers:

Ann
Caty the Southerner
Comet
Davelarge
Doublethink
Flags Fiend
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Lady A
Pure as Snow
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
The Rogue

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Could we have a round where possible sigs are offered, four line max etc etc and vote on the best?

NO

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND TEN : SOAP CHARACTERS

This will be a very different round and you must assess the other competitors and Also Rans before you make your selection.

Pick a character from a television soap opera.

Once all the entries are in you must send me via PM a list of all the characters you had heard of without/before looking them up.

If precisely five others have heard of your character, you are safe. If more or less than five others have heard of your chosen character you will lose a point for each number more or less than five.

If nobody in the competition has heard of your chosen character then you will lose 10 points. Biggest loser or losers will be eliminated.

Pick the character, not the actor/actress.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose
"Mrs Mangle"

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

ohiamsoscrewed.

um... boss?

what qualifies as a soap opera...?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I choose J.R. Ewing

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Similarly screwed. So, I think the tactic here is to go for someone reasonably obscure (so you don't get too many yesses), but not so obscure that you don't get a few. That way, you'll probably lose a few points, but not too many.

With that in mind, and because this actor went on to do some pretty good work in other things:

Billy Kennedy.

[ 18. October 2007, 22:25: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

I don't really watch any TV, let alone soaps so I think the chances of me recognising other characters are quite slim, but anyway I pick

Allan Steiger

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

I just gave up watching Neighbours and Hollioakes (much to dl's relief!)

Hmmm.... Harold Bishop

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erica Kane played by Susan Lucci

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016