homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats Harmony Hope. [Smile] Best wishes for the new endeavor!

[Votive] Jade Constable and Laxton Superba.

Thanks for prayers for me.

I've spat the dummy and am now awaiting the great and terrible day of the Lord.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you everyone. I'm hoping to go to Cuddesdon - had a conditional place there 3 years' ago and an interview mid January. That would mean starting in September next year!

I am holding everyone on here in my prayers - those of us just starting out or those of us further along the way... my God walk with you all on your journeys.

Please do PM me if I can give any help or support to anyone.

with prayers
Harmony Hope

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic news HH! [Smile]

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Thank you everyone. I'm hoping to go to Cuddesdon

Great place, excellent principal.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to wish everyone very happy Christmas! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Christmas!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially Happy New Year to those who are home from college and trying to get that essay / portfolio / report done....

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy new year!

geroff - does that mean I should start trying? I'm planning on working again from wednesday [Smile]

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Just wondering if anyone at Cuddesdon has any info on local schools and 6th form colleges please?

many thanks [Smile]
H Hope

--------------------

Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nearest secondary school to RCC is Wheatley Park
Primaries are Garsington and Wheatley
I don't have children so am not very familiar with the relative benefits of the options- I seem to recall that there was a school bus to Garsington primary but not Wheatley primary. There was a bus to Wheatley Park secondary. ( I left in 2010 so info may be out of date)

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Purple Butterfly
Apprentice
# 17477

- Posted      Profile for Purple Butterfly   Email Purple Butterfly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thank you everyone. I'm hoping to go to Cuddesdon - had a conditional place there 3 years' ago and an interview mid January. That would mean starting in September next year!

I am holding everyone on here in my prayers - those of us just starting out or those of us further along the way... my God walk with you all on your journeys.

with prayers
Harmony Hope

Purple Butterfly
Apprentice
# 17477

- Posted      Profile for Purple Butterfly   Email Purple Butterfly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Butterfly:
quote:

with prayers
Harmony Hope

OOPS!! [Hot and Hormonal] Newbie alert!
When is your interview HH?
(I thought I'd finally stop lurking here and start posting - you found me on Twitter after BAP [Biased] )

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Hi Rosa - thanks very much for the info which is really useful.

Purple butterfly - my interview's on Wednesday. Nice to see you here! [Biased]

Evensong - how is it going now?

Jenn - hope the studying is going well!

Jade Constable - how is it going for you?

Laxton - how is your journey going?

[Votive] For us all as we journey.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GOod luck HH with the interview.

My own vocational journey continues. AFter 18 months unemployed, this time last year I applied for and was offered a job as a verger and got it and started in March. It ticks many of the vocational boxes -- basically I'm paid to hang around church and do stuff -- though not all of them (preaching for example). I think it will be the right place for a while at least.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Hello Carys - so glad you're doing work you enjoy and prayers for you as your journey continues.

Harmony Hope

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Purple Butterfly!

Carys:

Congrats on the verger job!

I applied for such a job two or three times but never got an interview. [Frown]

On the Evensong vocational front - I asked for a year off and they said no.

[Ultra confused]

For all you ministry students out there this is a hilarious website with short vid clips about life as a ministry student. I believe he is a Methodist in the USA.

Everyday I'm Pastoring

And this little beauty is my current favourite. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

On the Evensong vocational front - I asked for a year off and they said no.

[Ultra confused]

That does it. There is officially a bead on my rosary with your name on it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Axe murder]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shall I fear to tread here? I started a thread on postulancy. Evensong suggested coming here. I'm on the other side of what I read in this topic. Shall be assessing as part of a committee, people who have put forward as wanting diocesan support for pursuit of holy orders. Not an employment committee, but a step prior to that.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats Carys and glad Cuddesdon went well for you HH. In my prayers Evensong [Votive]

Ordination stuff is on hold while I try and cope with uni stuff, but I am seeing the DDO in a couple of weeks. I still think ordination is where God wants me to be, it's the how I'm not 100% on.

I would be interested in others' experience UK Anglican theological colleges. I am AffCath Anglo-Catholic, liberal on the Dead Horses but not as liberal as other people on everything else - not opposed to PSA for instance, just not that it's the only possible Atonement theory. The chaplain at uni (who went to Cranmer) says Cuddesdon or Mirfield would be the best fit, Westcott House probably too liberal for me. Does this sound about right? Mirfield appeals more just in terms of location, personally.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade, [Votive] for you on your discernment journey

And Evensong, prayers for you. That sounds really tough.

HH hope your interview went well!

I have two essays to write for the DDO, both of which should have been sent off already, and I've been staring at the computer screen feeling completely blocked about both of them. One is the first draft of my written statement on mission and evangelism for the BAP, and I suspect that that's what is making it so difficult for me to get any words out.

I have a date to see the bishop, and I need to write and arrange to go to the open day of the regional ministerial training course (if Iir's a yes I will train part time). It all feels very serious and real, and more than a bit scary! [Votive] [Votive]

[ 18. January 2013, 21:51: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade Constable wrote

quote:
I am AffCath Anglo-Catholic, liberal on the Dead Horses but not as liberal as other people on everything else
What does 'everything else' mean? Is this about divorce and gay people in active relationships or more to do with doctrine and theology?
I think an AffCath Anglo-catholic would feel very at home in terms of worship and spirituality at Westcott; it might be a good base to explore other issues. Westcott ordinands are quite diverse in their understanding of doctrine for example.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aig:
Jade Constable wrote

quote:
I am AffCath Anglo-Catholic, liberal on the Dead Horses but not as liberal as other people on everything else
What does 'everything else' mean? Is this about divorce and gay people in active relationships or more to do with doctrine and theology?
I think an AffCath Anglo-catholic would feel very at home in terms of worship and spirituality at Westcott; it might be a good base to explore other issues. Westcott ordinands are quite diverse in their understanding of doctrine for example.

Sorry - regarding doctrine and theology. I understood divorce etc to be dead horses too. And thank you.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't rule out St Stephen's House. It's a far broader place than the naysayers would have you believe.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Well I have been denied a maintenance grant by the Student Loans Company (because I apparently didn't earn enough to qualify as self-supporting), so I can't afford to stay at uni and so can't stay with the support of my church/uni chaplaincy/DDO. I thought I was in Northampton for a reason [Frown]

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man that sucks Jade.

[Votive] that something comes through for you.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Don't rule out St Stephen's House. It's a far broader place than the naysayers would have you believe.

Thurible

They have produced some excellent priests over the year, including women priests.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
The chaplain at uni (who went to Cranmer) says Cuddesdon or Mirfield would be the best fit, Westcott House probably too liberal for me. Does this sound about right? Mirfield appeals more just in terms of location, personally.

I know the Community at Mirfield well, and the place (if you can cope with the Pennine drizzle) is excellent. I don't know much about the College per se, except that I have heard some people don't rate it much academically. I would have thought that is less important as general formation and especially the solid foundation you would get in liturgy and spirituality. It is definitely Catholic in ethos but in no way precious and there are a number of evangelically-inclined students. The benefit of living alongside a dedicated monastic community must be substantial.

[PS. Sorry Jade, I have just seen your other post. I really hope and pray some finance will be forthcoming... that is just too bad.]

[ 21. January 2013, 14:56: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade that is an absolute tragedy. These events can make more sense looking back (as I found from a similar situation) but that is zero comfort at the time. Praying for you. I assume you've already used student loans? and a chat with the chaplain may provide contacts (I know a few churches near me who provide grants for poor students).

As for me, the Southwark discernment process divides into two parts: just had several sessions with the vocations advisor, who did the initial discernment bit, now he's sent his report to the DDO who will do the formal/ pre BAP bit. So waiting for her email, bit excited, one eye slightly on clock (would be v v handy for job reasons to go into training, if successful, this September. Making good progress so far..) Guess only thing to do in meantime is keep ploughing down the reading list..

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade if you are at University at the moment have you been to the Student Union/your tutor/ Student Support services at Registry (or whatever it is called at your Uni) for help with sorting out the loan? I don't know what your circumstances are(whether you are currently on an undergraduate degree course or some other kind of course, whether you have already had a student loan) but nowadays all universities have people who specialise in helping students through the funding and finance maze, as far as they can.

[Votive]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
Jade if you are at University at the moment have you been to the Student Union/your tutor/ Student Support services at Registry (or whatever it is called at your Uni) for help with sorting out the loan? I don't know what your circumstances are(whether you are currently on an undergraduate degree course or some other kind of course, whether you have already had a student loan) but nowadays all universities have people who specialise in helping students through the funding and finance maze, as far as they can.

[Votive]

I already have done all of that, it is purely down to SLC saying I am ineligible for any maintenance grant.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
And this little beauty is my current favourite. [Big Grin]

Strangely, it was the one I most identified with, too. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
The chaplain at uni (who went to Cranmer) says Cuddesdon or Mirfield would be the best fit, Westcott House probably too liberal for me. Does this sound about right? Mirfield appeals more just in terms of location, personally.

I know the Community at Mirfield well, and the place (if you can cope with the Pennine drizzle) is excellent. I don't know much about the College per se, except that I have heard some people don't rate it much academically. I would have thought that is less important as general formation and especially the solid foundation you would get in liturgy and spirituality. It is definitely Catholic in ethos but in no way precious and there are a number of evangelically-inclined students. The benefit of living alongside a dedicated monastic community must be substantial.

[PS. Sorry Jade, I have just seen your other post. I really hope and pray some finance will be forthcoming... that is just too bad.]

My own priest went to Mirfield so I have heard good things about it. I actually know that part of the country very well - and would agree re academics v general formation.

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm filling in a registration form for a Dioscesan Panel and tripped over a sticking point.

The Question asks:

Briefly describe yourself and your temperament, including your gifts and preferences, strengths and weaknesses.

But what, in this context, do preferences refer to?

Churchmanship perhaps?

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it more likely to be about things like: like working in groups; like clear structures and deadlines; like to work alone; tend to be quiet in new situations etc?
That was the sort of thing I wrote for this question. I didn't mention anything to do with church here.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

That would make sense, I must be being more dense than usual tonight!

Thanks aig. [Smile]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchmanship might be one but consider:

• Rural, Suburban or Urban
  • Children/family, youth/student, professional/singles, retired/elderly etc
  • Parish, gathered, chaplaincy (Hospital, Higher Education or Workplace)
  • mission or maintenance priority
  • stable or transient population
  • any specialism such as interfaith, ecumenical, special needs, multi-cultural, immigrant.
  • team, group, sole incumbent
  • geographical location (would you feel happy accepting a church in an area of the country you are unfamilliar with?)

Now you do not have to pick one from each but if one of those is making your heart skip then I would suggest you may have a preference for it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

And that's something else to mull over.

Cheers Jengie [Smile]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Avoid churchmanship unless you can show that you are open and flexible. I think they want ministers and churches to avoid extremes.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Had a wonderful chat with my boss the other day.

He said the reason I'm struggling so much with being a "traditional priest" is that I'm more of a prophet than anything else.

He said I think outside the box, and when I do think inside the box I notice things that nobody else notices.

How nice is that? Maybe there is hope for me after all.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Evensong - lovely to hear that. Hope you are feeling happier now [Smile] .

Harmony Hope

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's strange, isn't it. When you are in the first part of the discernment process you assume once you are through bap it'll all be plain sailing. Why I assumed this I have no idea, but I sort of did. And now I'm at college and it's great, but also hugely hard. I'm more convinced than ever about my vocation, but I'm also aware of how difficult this path is. Prayers for you, Evensong, and for others who are realising the pain of the calling as well as the joy.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Thanks HH. Hope things are going well with you [Votive]

Jenn. You are exactly right. The training itself presents very significant challenges. . .

My husband flipped out tonight . Said he felt he was losing me.. .

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Evensong & Mr E)))

Hang on in there. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Hugs Evensong. It's such a demanding time for us and our families often get a rough deal. ****ing for you.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Thanks Sioni and Jenn. Preciate it

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

I'm signing off for Lent, trying to find some time for reflection and reading...but you are all in my prayers and with all my best wishes.

Harmony Hope

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

I'm signing off for Lent, trying to find some time for reflection and reading...but you are all in my prayers and with all my best wishes.

Harmony Hope

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all. Just popping in to say: I have a provisional BAP date.

My word, there's a lot of paperwork!

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

Masha - exciting and scary! When will it be?

I'm not looking forward to The Paperwork when my time comes.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016