homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But where does the clutter come from? Evolutionary psychology's take on it here.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
But where does the clutter come from? Evolutionary psychology's take on it here.

From the end of the article:
quote:
This idea is inspired by some research that proves happiness is more likely to come from experiences rather than stuff... this is an "experience revolution" that will help people be happier by nudging them to spend their time and money on experiences rather than stuff.

If more people do this, and join this "experience revolution", they will be happier - and they are far less likely to be drowning in stuff.

But for every "experience" you'll need the souvenir t-shirt, play program, ticket stub...

(Actually, I think the article does have some good points, but it's only one theory and doesn't deal with all of the issues facing hoarders.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, I'm trying to sort a large drawer full of jewellery. I very rarely wear jewellery, so it's effectively a drawer full of clutter. None of it is worth much. But most of it was a present, and quite a bit represents a special occasion; a gift when I was a bridesmaid, for example. The space is taken up by the boxes it's in; I do have a jewellery box, but it's full, and the stuff in there tends to get tangled up.

My daughter doesn't wear jewellery either.

How do other people store jewellery?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not long after we moved here, we bought a big wooden box with eight velour-lined sections in it and a Perspex window in the lid that contained assorted tea-bags. As it turned out, the teas were a bit rubbish, but the box is now my jewellery case (and is coming close to overflowing - I love jewellery [Smile] ).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the clutter box for jewelry, as my grandmother kept one, and we used to go treasure hunting in it as children. It was probably her only cluttered thing, and it was awesome.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people store jewelry in clear vinyl bags that have compartments--like over-the-door shoe bags, but there are special ones for jewelry, too. You can see everything, and there's little chance of tangling if you put one item in each compartment.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Ferrero Rocher containers, complete with inserts, suggested for earrings (though that raises the question of how you acquire said containers [Biased] ).

Personally, I have a jewellery box full of stuff I don't wear; I hang the necklaces, chains etc that I do wear on one of those hands covered in black plush; I keep the stud earrings in a little glass bowl that was part of a Dartington cream-and-sugar set*; and the dangly earrings hang from the rim of a tall glass candlestick.

* the little jug is ideal for tweezers, nail clippers etc.

Mrs. S, doing her best to re-use and re-cycle!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume that by "stud" earrings you mean the kind that I would wear.

[Biased]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good way to store dangly earrings is a piece of tapestry canvas pinned up. I also have a purpose-made wooden thingie. That still leaves quite a few pairs scattered over the chest of drawers. The necklaces are hung on the arms of a brass stand and a few over the mirror, though the current favourites are lying among the earrings. Did I mention I make bead jewellery?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

[Biased]

To match the gold medallions on your ripped pecs, Wodders.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I've seen Ferrero Rocher containers, complete with inserts, suggested for earrings (though that raises the question of how you acquire said containers [Biased] ).

I've actually got one for that very purpose. (We were sent FR at the office one Christmas and I kept the box.) The gold inserts are a bit distracting, though, so I keep it for the earrings I hardly ever wear and the loose ones that need to have clasps fitted.
cross eyed bear
Shipmate
# 13977

- Posted      Profile for cross eyed bear   Email cross eyed bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use a hanger from Primark: flat and double sided with 48 transparent pockets, which is attached to a clothes hanger and is stored hanging in my wardrobe. I don't wear jewellery much, though.

I sometimes wear earrings, and these are stored in a couple of flat, clear, plastic, compartmentalised boxes I found in an electronics store. I think they're designed for fuses and things.

Some people use ice cube trays for earrings, but I couldn't find any which were stackable.

(Edited to remove adventurous linking)

[ 25. January 2015, 09:28: Message edited by: cross eyed bear ]

Posts: 120 | From: Southern Germany | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a huge collection of costume jewellery in my dressing table drawer which is a good size and packed to the brim. I love chunky jewellery and I make fused glass so it is ever expanding. I did think about the covered board for brooches but have never got round to it - I do love a cluttered drawer of sparkling things.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

[Biased]

Oh Wodders [Hot and Hormonal]

Mrs. S, blushing

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Today, I'm trying to sort a large drawer full of jewellery. <snip>

<snippety snip>

How do other people store jewellery?

Traidcraft have a jewellery appeal which includes costume and broken/ mismatched items. Here is a link.

I store costume jewellery which is really for wearing onstage in a drawer which is bursting at the seams. My good jewellery is hanging on a pretty decorative tree ornament which I bought in a sale in a shop full of odd gifts. Any thief would have to untangle it all.

I do have some pieces which I keep in their original boxes, but that's less of a tendancy than it used to be when I had less.

Jewellery rolls can be convenient for storage.

Cattyish, avoiding tidying up.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that I wear more of my jewellery if I can see it, so I use a jewellery hanger mounted on the wall or the side of my wardrobe. Otherwise I get caught in a rut rotating the same things over and over again. The same is true of clothes - I don't miss them if they disappear into the laundry or I fail to unpack a suitcase for umpty-mumble weeks and then there's the joyous reunion when they do show up.

Which reminds me that I need to sort my shoerack, it's all got a bit higgledy-piggledy in there and I've been using the snow and ice as an excuse to wear only hiking shoes.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress, but it's hard. [Frown]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I politely requested - via email - that the kind person who'd brought a whole roll of vinyl flooring into church (in response to an appeal for offers of that very thing!) remove it - and lo and behold, mirabile dictu, they have! [Angel]

Mrs. S, much amazed

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sort of clear plastic boxes that fisher-people use for storing flies in make good ear-ring boxes...as do jelly bean boxes (but then, you do have to eat the jelly beans first!)

My "good" jewellery lives in the boxes it came in from the jewellers. (I don't have huge amounts of "good" jewellery, mind...) because some things can be damaged by rubbing against other things, chains can become tangled etc

I bought some small silk pouches to store items in, to keep them unscratched and chains untangled.

And ear-rings (of which I have an enormous number) are stored in the aforementioned plastic boxes - you can see what you have without having a cluttered heap and not being able to find it's "partner".
(If they are "stud" - type earrings, putting the shank of one through the butterfly loop of the other and then fitting the butterfly to it keeps them together...earring wearers will know what I mean!)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was clearing out some old handbags today. One wasn't good enough to send to the charity shop, and I started to wonder whether it would be worth keeping as a place to put jewellery or little whatnots in - it has loads of pockets. But I managed to throw it into the bin, and am very proud of myself.
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've achieved Washing-up Zero for the first time since Advent. (Not that any item had been left since December, but I had never quite caught up with the backlog. Things had never been that bad before but I was ill a lot, and now am getting better at last.) I also have Laundry Zero and unpacking the boxes from my move has restarted. Next stop, Ironing Mountain.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not me, but my son, who graduated from high school about eight years ago. Only now did he deem it possible to get rid of his high school graphing calculator. He was a notably poor math student, so this device did not get much exercise. I put it up on Freecycle, and am going to give it away to a HS teacher who will loan it out to students who can't afford their own.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
I've achieved Washing-up Zero for the first time since Advent. (Not that any item had been left since December, but I had never quite caught up with the backlog. Things had never been that bad before but I was ill a lot, and now am getting better at last.) I also have Laundry Zero and unpacking the boxes from my move has restarted. Next stop, Ironing Mountain.

I am impressed - wand wish you well for the path to Ironing Zero.

I am experimenting with taking an item to a charity shop each time I go into town. At some point I'll need to recognise a good time to stop though.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For clutter, it would be hard to beat my mother who appears not to have thrown anything out in the 30+ years she has been in her house.

But last week, Mrs T and I helped her move into a nursing home, which required us to help her select a small subset of her stuff to take there.

She is quite fond of jewellery, and had it stored at various "safe" spots around the house, such as in old tea caddies, under a drawer full of underpants etc. These items - some of them quite valuable - are now in her lawyer's safe, though she wants to install a small safe in her room at the nursing home to hold it, which we are arranging to do at her insistence. . We also found a drawer that was entirely filled with old empty jewellery boxes and another full of old empty glass jars !

Fortunately for our sanity, she plans to keep the old house, so clearing it out for sale is still a distant prospect.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

I am experimenting with taking an item to a charity shop each time I go into town. At some point I'll need to recognise a good time to stop though.

When you start having to buy stuff back from them, perhaps? [Big Grin]

Mrs. S, snickering hound

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
For clutter, it would be hard to beat my mother who appears not to have thrown anything out in the 30+ years she has been in her house ...

For "your mother" read "my father" - except in his case it's nearer 50 years.

Any takers for videotapes of the complete Sergeant Bilko, Dad's Army, Inspector Morse, Poirot, Midsomer Murders and all the Carry On films?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Put 'em on Craigslist or Freecycle. Some people still have VCRs.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
Which reminds me that I need to sort my shoerack, it's all got a bit higgledy-piggledy in there and I've been using the snow and ice as an excuse to wear only hiking shoes.

So I didn't sort out the shoerack, it is just as higgledy as ever it was and had to be moved in that state for a delivery that never showed up, but I did find a different home for six pairs of shoes that leads me to the conclusion that clutter is not clutter when it counts as display!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always have Ironing Zero, due to the fact I never do any. Things get dried flat, shirts go straight on to hangers, and a lot of smoothing and folding happens too.

We are decorating upstairs; our room is done and things are now to be moved out of the box room into Nenlet1's room (now the spare room but I can't get used to calling it that even though she hasn't lived here for nearly three years). The idea is to sort as we go. It is mostly sentimental paperwork, my very worst sort of sorting, and yesterday I was in tears over it. [Roll Eyes] But I am gradually filling a black bin liner.

Well done to everyone - perseverance is key.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... clutter is not clutter when it counts as display!

I could give a good home to the red Mary Janes on the left-hand end of the top layer.

What size are your feet? [Big Grin]

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... clutter is not clutter when it counts as display!

I could give a good home to the red Mary Janes on the left-hand end of the top layer.

What size are your feet? [Big Grin]

Oh, they're enormous, Piglet! About a UK 8 or 9 or a European 42. When I was 13 or so I took a US 11 and may still do so.

None of the shoes are really clutter, it's just that in their spare time they were doing a lot of cluttering! I do hold a special place in my heart for those red Mary Janes - they are in fact the Magical Shoes of Wonder and were actually a Christmas present from several wonderful friends and both my siblings!

The clutter has increased over the weekend though, I am sorry to report. There was a leak of water from upstairs into my hallway cupboard (no, I can't explain why their overflow discharges into my hallway cupboard) so the contents are spread around the flat to dry out. Again. Fortunately said cupboard was fairly comprehensively sorted while putting things back after Christmas and now contains far fewer items that would suffer from water damage. Now if only I could get the unused chest freezer out of said cupboard before I put everything back again, but it's wider than the doorway and I think some electrical conduit has been added since it was put in there.

There might have to be a dismemberment...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's unfortunate - mine are size 4 UK or 37 European. [Frown]

Lovely shoes though ...

green-eyed monster attack [Big Grin]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
That's unfortunate - mine are size 4 UK or 37 European. [Frown]

Lovely shoes though ...

green-eyed monster attack [Big Grin]

I have ruby red (with subtle shimmer) Mary Jane's in a size 3 with an hourglass heel and tiny heart cut out trim - they've my dream shoes come true. Feel free to drool in this direction too [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday was spent decluttering the kitchen ready for a new oven to arrive. Next job is to work out how to get rid of old computer equipment and that's another big bit of decluttering done.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

This afternoon I have to declutter enough hallway and kitchen for my new fridge to arrive. Should be fairly straightforward. Putting everything back again sufficiently straightened up will be a good feeling.

Also working on plans for a whole new kitchen, dreading the week or so that the kitchen will be out of commission (but if I shift kettle/toaster/microwave into the living room and the fridge is still useable then the living room clutter might benefit from the experience too) and hoping that the opportunity to really sort through everything and eliminate a pesky corner unit will make for a more pleasing workspace.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah! A local charity is picking the sofa up on Tuesday! They very sensibly said that, obviously, it must have had a fire safety label once, at which I admitted to having cut it off myself because it annoyed me, several years before I had any thought of getting rid of the sofa. (I didn't know it was going to be important!)
These people supply furniture to low income families at low cost, so it's going to go to a good home.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once more into the breach to get things under control, more in a lifestyle management way than in a wild flurry of desperation way.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just successfully sold a batch of CDs to a company who offers freepost. Now to use them to tackle the latest box of books to come down from the roofspace.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had just started to successfully use Green Metropolis to sell my excess books, to find out the site is closing in the next couple of weeks. Foiled. [Frown]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my parents are visiting this weekend, and brought the remaining yarn and fabric stash I had stored under my bed at home. Several hours were spent yesterday working as a team to go through all of my yarn and fabric, work out
What is good and enough for a reasonable project and should be kept
What is good scraps of fabric, or part balls of yarn that might reasonably be used for patchwork, toys or baby clothes (sibling shrew is expecting)
What I will never ever ever use and should be given away.
We then used zip lock bags to separate each set of yarn or piece of fabric and packed it away nicely.

The stash is plentiful and will need another go through to slim it down further, but at least it feels that some progress has been made. And now I know what is in there I can get started on using it!!!!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Took a load of good stuff to a Table-Top Sale yesterday. Brought most of it back. Sold only small items, so that won't make much difference to the storage problem. Gave a big bagful of small odds & ends to another stallholder who will be holding a jumble sale next month in aid of a local hospice. At least I sold enough to cover the cost of the table this time.

Much as I'd like to make a bob or two on a number of what were expensive, but no longer wanted, gifts it looks like they will have to be added to the mountain of stuff I will have to haul (on the bus) to the charity shops in the area.
I never realised this de-cluttering lark would be so time consuming and difficult. And Mr RoS is still bringing home stuff he finds abandoned around the village [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hall, bathroom and kitchen cleaned and decluttered, pretty much, and quite a few of the other surfaces in other rooms. Various loads taken to different places and a lot of bags of rubbish into the bins (quite a lot into the recycling bin, there are only so many plastic bottles and boxes I can use). The computers are booked for collection this week. I just need another box to pack the second one away.

Another week off would have meant I got the rest done. Shame about the work work I was procrastinating over.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still need to clean kitchen. What work I've done has been grading papers. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week I really will put the boxes of Christmas decorations away. Honest. They're currently stacked up the stairs which is horribly inconvenient and conspicuous, so I have to get them dealt with soon. Even I can't cope with the idea of them still being there come March...! [Eek!]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sofa has gone!!!
Two lovely men came to pick it up about 9.30 this morning - and I immediately got the vacuum out and re-arranged all the furniture in my living room.
I have space! [Yipee]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
This week I really will put the boxes of Christmas decorations away. Honest.

I confess that was part of my hall decluttering last week. But they're all away now. I just added a few other bags of bits, two of which leave tomorrow.

I need to find another box to get the computers collected on Thursday, and write some labels for the collection guys, and that's another big cluttered bit gone. Hopefully by this weekend I'll get it down to only one room needing decluttering, which is my bedroom.

Briefly, oh so briefly, I was at Ironing Zero on Sunday and yesterday, but I've washed something that needs ironing.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I think I have a coherent, if not cunning, plan. Please pray it works. Fingers crossed!!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I think I have a coherent, if not cunning, plan. Please pray it works. Fingers crossed!!

[Votive]

Let us know what it is!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

You do know that arson is illegal, don't you? You musn't burn down the whole place to get rid of the clutter. [Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, help please:

How do i deal with the apparently never-ending piles of paperwork that accumulate around our living room?

I am a file freak who loves nothing more than seeing rows of orderly files, containing sorted documents. However i am married to someone who likes to leave their paperwork lying where it was dropped.

Remaining married is non negotiable.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016