homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I keep my spices (bought in bulk, and massively cheaper, though not much bought at a time) in little plastic bags. If I had a wee jar for each of them they'd take up massively more room.

Yes, I do have reserve stocks in other parts of the kitchen - but the drawer/square jars setup allows me to find what I need in the shortest possible time AND put it away tidily (the jars are all labelled and alphabetised)

Mrs. S, for whom there is a word!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just cleared out under the sink - hurrah!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

"Domestic Goddess"? Oh, wait, that's two...

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

"Domestic Goddess"? Oh, wait, that's two...
Thank you for that, Nen - but 'anal' was the one I was trying to avoid using!
[Hot and Hormonal]

Mrs. S, only aspiring to Piglet-like states of Domestic Goddess-ness!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two rooms that are being carpeted tomorrow are decluttered! I will disconnect my computer first thing in the morning before they arrive.

I not only stirred up a lot of dust, but I stirred up all sorts of memories going through (and getting rid of by way of my shredder or my recycle bin) old greeting cards from my late mother and sister, old papers from my divorce, old papers from a business which has closed, etc. It feels good to have shut some of those doors behind me.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... aspiring to Piglet-like states of Domestic Goddess-ness!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Believe me, Mrs. S. - my goddessishness extends only to baking bread and making soup.

I'm really more of a soup dragon.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Good enough for me, Piglet! [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I have started scanning old birthday and anniversary cards, and I know just what Pigwidgeon means about stirring up memories. These are mainly happy ones though! It struck me that I never looked at the cards I'd saved, so I stand a better chance of seeing them again on the screensaver.

A few I just ditched, which was probably a wise decision, Minister.

Mrs. S, now with a load of anniversary cards to deal with [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you summon the willpower to do that Mrs S?

I have a ton of Dad's slides really want to scan. I started the job a year ago and did one box full - now they sit on the desk and accuse me!

[Paranoid]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress, but running low on health and energy.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

I have a ton of Dad's slides really want to scan. I started the job a year ago and did one box full - now they sit on the desk and accuse me!

[Paranoid]

To be fair, there aren't that many at a time - I keep coming across little caches of them and that makes it much simpler to deal with.

It's my (blanket) box of photos that makes my heart sink!

Mrs. S, resolutely seeking displacement activities [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Paranoid]

I didn't know you could scan slides! Do you put the little dickens directly on the scanner plate?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
I didn't know you could scan slides! Do you put the little dickens directly on the scanner plate?

No - I have a little scanner thingie which does it to memory card.

Here it is [Smile]

Now answer my willpower question please thank you.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks like a clever wee beastie, Boogie. When the time comes, I've no idea how we're going to deal with Dad's God-knows-how-many boxes of slides.

Some of them (the ones of family events and such-like) would possibly be worth preserving in some way, but as for the x years of holiday photographs (many of which seemed to feature electricity pylons [Ultra confused] ) - I doubt if any of us would really want them.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... holiday photographs (many of which seemed to feature electricity pylons [Ultra confused] ) - I doubt if any of us would really want them.

What's wrong with pylons? [Eek!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Nothing at all.

Years ago somebody gave Dad one of those little pointy light things for pointing things out on the slide-screen, and whenever we had The Annual Slide Show* he'd always point out pylons in the photographs, and it became a sort of family joke.

IIRC it started after he'd been to Norway, where they have rather a lot of them ... [Big Grin]

* [Snore]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My next area of decluttering is my dressing table - the scene of several previous unsuccessful attempts. [Roll Eyes]

No progress to report in this area yet. [Disappointed]

Nen - planning to sneak up on the dressing table from behind and surprise it. But probably not today.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
My next area of decluttering is my dressing table - the scene of several previous unsuccessful attempts. [Roll Eyes]

No progress to report in this area yet. [Disappointed]

Nen - planning to sneak up on the dressing table from behind and surprise it. But probably not today.

Do a bit a day, while running the bath or whatever - it doesn't weigh on your mind that way [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do a bit a day, while running the bath or whatever - it doesn't weigh on your mind that way [Smile]

I particularly like the tip on UnFuck Your Habitat website about putting away five things at a time.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'm in bed most of the time; but I try to take care of a few things on the way to the bathroom, and on the way back.

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clutter crisis! I innocently allowed myself to get the builders in just before someone gave us back a load of expensive and bulky items they'd been harbouring for ages. I can't get into my lounge or the cupboard under the stairs. Thank heavens I can still reach my sewing machine so will maintain my sanity that way until normality returns.

Just in case normality is slow to return, any tips on hiring storage?

Cattyish, edging around things.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I decluttered about 8 bottles of disgusting home-made wine circa 1990 from the Dowager's understairs cupboard, plus various other cr*p.

Also swapped out her old phone and microwave for new ones - hooray! so off to the dump tomorrow [Yipee]

Mrs. S, grubby but unbowed [Big Grin]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dishes in washer, clothes in washer. It's hard though.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:

Just in case normality is slow to return, any tips on hiring storage?

Just one - don't do it!!

These facilities make a fortune out of people putting their clutter out of sight, out of mind.

My friend put her stuff there (for 'three months', which is now three years and counting) all this to store stuff which is worth 1/100th of the amount she pays every month to have it stored!

My brother has a lot of spare land - I keep telling him to put storage containers there - a financial killing to be had if ever I saw one!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... holiday photographs (many of which seemed to feature electricity pylons [Ultra confused] ) - I doubt if any of us would really want them.

What's wrong with pylons? [Eek!]
Wow! My father worked with pylons and has a heap of photos of them - Scotland's most northerly pylon, Scotland's most westerly pylon, Scotland's second most westerly pylon, the pylon that was damaged in the Great Snow of 19-oatcake....
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I wonder if we're related ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does your father also have photographs of electricity substations, Piglet?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some pretty fancy electricity substations; for instance my local one; it is even listed.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Wow! My father worked with pylons and has a heap of photos of them - Scotland's most northerly pylon, Scotland's most westerly pylon, Scotland's second most westerly pylon, the pylon that was damaged in the Great Snow of 19-oatcake....

Goodness me!

For years I've thought my gran, of blessed memory, was the only person to use 19-oatcake when describing a year she didn't either want to reveal or didn't know. (Generally her year of birth.) I use it too, but had never heard anyone else doing so.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To return us to our decluttering...

I'm in between a rock and a hard place, in that I really could so with some more bookshelf type space, for ordinary books and for lever arch files, but am loathe to buy any at the moment as there is every chance I will be moving within the next 6 - 12 months.

I could expand my current system of a plastic box per project, which also has the virtue of meaning most of that stuff is more or less packed.. but I'm away I'm likely to run out of floor space!

Of course, I could just refuse to take on anything else for the foreseeable future.

Decisions, decisions.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just bought a couple of sets of bookends, that go on top of the full bookcases and take the volumes that won't fit in below. Everything looks a lot tidier.

This isn't really decluttering, but getting rid of books is against my nature!

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Decluttering isn't *only* getting rid of stuff. Finding it a shelf to live on counts, too.
[Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Japes--

Maybe the classic board-and-cinder-block shelving? Pretty cheap, especially if you scavenge the boards.

As far as possibly moving and making furniture decisions accordingly, you might check out the TV show "Home To Go", which you can watch online. That's what the show is about. And the designers aren't overly full of themselves.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are better ways of building shelves! I refused to do the brick and plank thing because I am no longer a student, so until I could scavenge something better I did plank on whiskey bottle containers, and plank on top of the cardboard inside of a roll of carpet, cut to size.
There's also a pottery near me that makes long, tall plant pots, which look rather nice, and those earthenware jars that can be found in vintage shops.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there something like Freecycle where you are? In the US, Freecycle is a network for giving things away. (Recycle, only free.) You sign up, and then either view the things being offered, or offer things yourself. Bookcases are not frequently on offer, but they do appear. And then, when your need for them is past, you give them away again.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I've begun to decluttter some of my older cookery books - the sort that you only ever cook one recipe out of. I scan and print that one recipe, and file it in a plastic sleeve in a big lever-arch file. Sorted!

(In case you wonder exactly HOW they are sorted, it's by principal ingredient [Big Grin] )

Mrs. S, who tried using a Kindle for this - and failed dismally [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tons of trash taken out! The apartment is improving!! [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Thanks for the suggestions about shelving and freecycle.

I am going with the plastic boxes idea for now, as it works for me on several fronts.

My current home is significantly smaller than where I will be moving to, and I don't really have room for any more book cases/shelves, but the boxes could all fit under desks, or tables.

I'm also reluctant to waste time and effort on sourcing materials to be creative with shelving on a temporary basis when I can easily pick up boxes on my way home from work and solve it a couple of hours!

It's an unusual move in that I know where I will be moving to, and what I am likely to need there. It's just not happening until the current tenant moves on which is Not Yet, but could be sooner than we thought.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Dressing table top decluttered. [Yipee]

Dressing table drawers slightly fuller than before.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren visited today, ostensibly for middle grandson's birthday. The girls brought, served and cleared away all food (except the birthday cake, which I'd made).

After lunch the boys took Mr RoS out to the garage and "encouraged" him to turnout an incredible amount of junk. They are coming back next month for another go.
All this, apart from the birthday cake, was arranged on the quiet by my elder d-i-l.
I have been unwell for most of the year, and she could see that Mr RoS's hoarding was really getting on top of me.
What an [Angel]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Hmmm...clearly, I need to rent a family. [Biased]

I'm making progress, though.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:

Well done Nen - I know that's been preying on your mind!

And well done too to the RoS family [Overused]

After church yesterday I overheard someone say 'so are we going to throw that away?' to which the reply was 'Mrs. S will do it when she gets round to that cupboard!'

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Mrs. S, a Woman with a Reputation

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

We had our Memorial service yesterday afternoon. When I got the tea lights out of the vestry at least half were used!

I had a BIG clear out! Now we only have new tea lights for the next time.

[Smile]

Those clutterers - they get everywhere! [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My whirlwind helper turned up in the weekend and WOW! I had been worried I had lost her as she is in temporary accommodation whilst having quake repairs and my phone was out for a week, but she turned up last Thursday [Yipee]

Now just a bit of moving things into cupboards and I can call the electricians to re-wire the house, then get the last of my earthquake repairs done (just the driveway).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
quote:

Well done Nen - I know that's been preying on your mind!
[Axe murder] [Overused]
I see that expressed as "praying on your mind" so often that to see the correct term used is a cause for celebration. [Big Grin] [Yipee]

I think the decluttering may be starting to have an effect on Mr Nen. He was home alone yesterday (Man Flu [Roll Eyes] ) and sorted out the newspapers on the coffee table without me even mentioning them.

Nen - celebrator of small victories. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

[Hot and Hormonal]

Thank you Nen!

I spent yesterday evening helping to sort the results of this Harvest's donations to our local food banks. You've never seen so much food - it's truly amazing and humbling to see how generous people cane be when they know of a need.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

BUT...

some of what they donate is clearly the result of decluttering their kitchen cupboards! A kilner jar of stem ginger in brandy, for instance, some YEARS out of date? Random packets of make-in-a-mug soup?? A large tin of Mamade oranges to make marmalade from???

(and yes, I brought home two of those particular items - one lady I know makes marmalade and sells it in aid of the food bank, and after all, brandy is a preservative. We used to have to stop Grandma S pouring away bottles of brandy because she's had them some years and she thought they'd have gone off [Eek!] )

Mrs. S, grammar maven

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We used to have to stop Grandma S pouring away bottles of brandy because she's had them some years and she thought they'd have gone off.

{tangent alert}

I heard of a woman who was asked to prepare sweet potatoes with Jack Daniels for a church function. She didn't drink, and the bottle of Jack Daniels she had was several years old, so she used three times what the recipe called for.

{/tangent alert}

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have a large box of 'thank you teacher' cards which I have decided can now go. I have been going through it and putting the cards in recycling one at a time.

I have a poor memory, but was thrilled that every child came to mind as I read the cards.

I think it was the combination of their drawing, handwriting and name in visual form (I have a very visual memory). It was a lovely experience.

Some of these kids will be in their 30s now!

But, at last, now I have another empty box [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Slow progress, but progress.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every bit helps. [Biased]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016