homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Frederick Buechner's Lovechild
Shipmate
# 4058

- Posted      Profile for Frederick Buechner's Lovechild   Email Frederick Buechner's Lovechild       Edit/delete post 
I have a vivid memory of Spring Harvest's Youth Programme in 1991 when I was a youth leader. There were 800 young people there, we were in the middle of a chorus, and had reached the point when the house band would spontaneously (!) go into an instrumental break to allow singing in tongues. (Funny how - with constant repetition - spontaneity just becomes new dogma....)

The lead singer of the group closed his eyes and launched out in glossalalic rapture, carrying most of the audience with him. We were in heaven! [Angel]

So it came as kind of a surprise, amid the soft, tuneful murmuring of tongues, to hear the singer (in his Brummie accent) address the soundman directly with the instruction "Bit more guitar in the monitors, Dave". What impressed me most, though, was how quickly he managed to return to a state of ecstasy after that.... a rare talent, I thought!

--------------------
Go and preach the gospel - use words if you have to. (St Francis of Assisi)

Posts: 274 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tau
Shipmate
# 614

- Posted      Profile for Tau   Email Tau   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FB's L, that's clearly a case of 1 Cor 14:32. [Big Grin]

AW

--------------------
There is no fear in love.

Posts: 191 | From: over here | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps this one entered my mind after many years because I'm not feeling well and therefore cannot attend the peace rally today, but, for all that I sympathise with the basic sentiments of this hymn (which I don't think was that popular), it was just so... gushy. Of course, it does not have its full impact without the sentimental melody.

Refrain:
Peace I leave with you my friends,
Shalom, my peace in all you do.
Peace I leave with you my friends.
I give to you so you can give to others too.

Verses:
To share his love is why I came,
To show his kindness to all men,
Go now, my friends, and do the same.
Until I come again.

Take my hand and be at peace,
The spirit of his love I send,
And with that love you will be free,
Until I come again.

(I cannot remember the other verses - there was at least one other.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The current thread on 'joy' in purgatory must have sparked yet another memory of dreadful music. Who remembers this one? The tune vaguely resembled the sort of song which may have been used for common voices raised in song in Elizabethan ale houses.

The joy of the Lord is my strength,
The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Then, with appropriate gestures, there were verses in which we learnt:
If you want joy, you must dance/clap/reach for it.
(Repeated as with the refrain).

The last verse was best of all, again repeated continuously.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Lioba
Shipmate
# 42

- Posted      Profile for Lioba   Email Lioba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Imagine all that crap posted so far translated into German by someone with a limited knowledge of English and no creative command of German.

I used to go to church where worship consisted for the most part of such "songs", of course all sung from projections by OHP. [Mad]

Needless to say, I left.

--------------------
Conversion is a life-long process.

Posts: 502 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Viki, I almost choked! [Big Grin]

All right, old timers, who remembers this 60s gem (for which the melody reminded me of some sort of old film about American Indians.)

We are one in the Spirit,
We are one in the Lord,
We are one in the Lord,
And we pray that all unity shall one day be restored.

Refrain:
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,
Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand,
We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand,
And together we'll spread the news that God is in our land. (Refrain)

We will work with each other, we will work side by side,
We will work with each other, we will work side by side,
And we'll guard each man's dignity,
And save each man's pride. (Refrain)

All praise to the Father, from whom all things come,
And all praise to Christ Jesus, his only Son.
And all praise to the Spirit who makes us one.
(Refrain)

Of course, the song was bad enough - without the smug sorts who, in protesting any form of traditional worship, would smugly (the tones cannot be reproduced on 'paper') retort "they'll know we are Christians by our love," as if they had just thought of that line.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newman's Own: dare I say that "They'll know we are Christians by our love" is still being sung in some quarters of the Sydney Anglican Diocese?

I despised the song...and most of its ilk.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

For the edification and delight of all present, I shall now post the worst Roman Catholic hymn of all times - for all that some people have fond memories of singing this for First Communion:

Thou hast come to my heart,
dearest Jesus,
I am holding Thee close to my breast;
I'm telling Thee over and over,
Thou art welcome, O Little White Guest.
I love Thee, I love Thee, my Jesus,
O please do not think I am bold;
Of course, Thou must knowest that I love Thee,
But I'm sure that Thou likest to be told.
I'll whisper, "I love Thee, my Jesus,"
And ask that we never may part;
I love Thee, O kind, Loving Jesus
And press Thee still nearer my heart.
And when I shall meet Thee in Heaven,
My soul then will lean on Thy Breast.
And Thou will recallest our fond meetings,
When Thou wert my little White Guest.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ick.....

Admiral, you are not going to tell us that some Sydney Anglicans might sing "For they;'ll know we are Christians etc"????

Hasn't anyone told them that it is a Romish ditty??!!

cheers,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
Refrain:
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,
Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

I think I mentioned this before, but my dad liked to loudly sing "They'll know we are Christians by our bumperstickers". Mom wanted to crawl away.
Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cassandra W
Shipmate
# 4098

- Posted      Profile for Cassandra W   Email Cassandra W   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Howdy Y'all
quote:
Come thou fount of every blessing here, though I haven't heard of an Ebenezer being used as a swear word or obscene term before, Amos.

In fact, I don't understand what the line in the hymn is supposed to mean.

Ebenezer means "stone of help", at least that's what it means in 1Sam 7:12.

Just want to say "Thanks" to all posters in this thread for convincing me that there are worse choruses than the ones we sing in our congregation. (though I'm having bad flashbacks to youth camp/retreat from the 70's [Eek!] )

My candidate for most annoying is the following:

"Thou, O Lord, are a shield about me, You're my glory, You're the lifter of my head."

The imagery is from the Psalms, no problems there, but the first line contains the most pointlessly gratuitous use of "THOU" that I've ever seen. It's as if the writer just stuck a "thou" in to make the song sound "churchy" or "holy". But to me it's as irritating as singing "You, O Lord, is ...". [Mad]

OK, feel better for saying that. Oh, and am I the only one who has ever sung the hymn "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?

Cassandra

--------------------
"Utterly bleak and black is not the sum of realism. All the other colors are real, too"
L. M. Bujold

Posts: 157 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome aboard, Cassandra W, and thanks for your thoughts on this long-running thread.

I'm sure you have already read the 10 Commandments - see left - and are conscientiously reading the preambles to each Board [Big Grin]

So enjoy yourself as you explore all the parts of the Ship!

Yours aye ... TonyK, Dead Horses Host

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
All right, old timers, who remembers this 60s gem (for which the melody reminded me of some sort of old film about American Indians.)

We are one in the Lord,

I have fond memories of it from the 1970s, but I don't think I've heard it sung for 20 years.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
He stands up and nervously clears his throat...

Hello, my name is Sine N., and...and...I LIKE "I am the bread of life"

He bursts into tears and runs from the room.

I quite like it too.

Mainly because I remember it being sung at Communion a lot at St Nicholas's in Durham back in the mid-1970s (Revd. George Carey, vicar, he namedrops quietly). I played the guitar for it a number of times and all those clever American chords stretched our poor little British fingers, used to little more than D7. No wonder we had punk music.

--------------------
Ken

Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

- Posted      Profile for Sheriff Pony   Email Sheriff Pony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra W:
Oh, and am I the only one who has ever sung the hymn "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?

Actually, you can sing "Amazing Grace" to a large number of 1960s sitcom theme songs. Try out "The Brady Bunch" or "My Three Sons" or "The Andy Griffith Show."
Posts: 382 | From: Space! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
<snip>OK, feel better for saying that. Oh, and am I the only one who has ever sung the hymn "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?

[aside]My brother was at a youth conference and won a free t-shirt for doing that very thing on stage in front of everybody![/end of aside]

"Give Thanks" is one of the ones that most annoys me... waaaaaay too repetitive, and with no possibility of a deeper meaning surfacing the longer you contemplate it.

I must say that I really like "Awesome God," but really only as it is done by Rich Mullins... not the way it's done in church services/youth conferences.

What gets me is that quite a few of the older hymns have great biblical lyrics that explore the implications of living a Christian life, and the character of God, etc., etc, but the melodies are soooo bad (read: non-existant) that they aren't done any more. I'm all for people with musical ability in composition taking those lyrics and resetting them. Nothing comes to mind right now, but I know that I've sung my share of them!

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

This one must be so bad that the lyrics escape me, but does anyone remember a dreadful song called "Let Us Come to the Water"? All I can remember is something about "and let all who have nothing, let them come to the Lord."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Sorry to post again so soon, but I wanted to record this one before I forgot.

The chorus was:
Glory to God, glory,
Oh praise him, alleluia.
Glory to God, glory,
Oh praise the name of the Lord.

Each verse was as follows, with one word changed:
Sing Christ, the word (light) of the living God. (Refrain.)

The melody was beyond dreadful.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I rather like it, Newman's Own...

Although I found it rather hard to understand what "except for the Lord" meant in the first verse. Why the "except"? (in the context of "price" makes me think of "redemption" vouchers ...)

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joyeux, try singing it as 'Give thanks with a grapefruit tart', or just think of it as the Village People/Pet Shop Boys song 'Go West' - it's exactly the same tune, just a better dance routine. [Wink]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

The "Glory to God, glory" that I remember is not the same one that had the 'except for the Lord' passage.

It's one of those days when I need distraction, so I'm about to unearth some other 60s gems. I believe that there must have been a weekend, c. 1965, when those who knew how to play exactly four guitar chords, and had never composed anything previously, got together and wrote about 100 pieces.

---
Refrain:
Allelu, allelu, everybody sing allelu,
For the Lord has risen, it is true.
Everybody sing Allelu. (Repeat after each verse)

Verses:
Christ was born in Bethelehem, allelu, allelu.
So that man could live again - Alleluia.

Thirty years he walked the land, allelu, allelu,
To all in need he lent his hand - Alleluia.

On the hard wood of the cross, allelu, allelu,
He suffered and he died for us - Alleluia.

---
This one irked me because it was all fellowship, no redemption.

Refrain:
Here we are, all together,
As we sing our song joyfully,
Here we are, joined together,
As we pray we'll always be.

Verses:
Join me now as friends, and celebrate
The brotherhood we share, all as one.
Keep the fire burning, kindle it with care,
And we'll all join in and sing (refrain)

Freedom we do shout, for everybody,
And, unless there is, we shall pray
That soon there will be one true brotherhood,
Let us all join in and sing (refrain).

Let us make the world an alleluia,
Let us make the world a better place,
Keep a smile handy, have a helping hand,
And we'll all join in and sing (refrain.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This one must be so bad that the lyrics escape me, but does anyone remember a dreadful song called "Let Us Come to the Water"? All I can remember is something about "and let all who have nothing, let them come to the Lord."

I was talking about the third and 4th lines of this one , Newman's own, which I think are concerned with the idea of redemption...
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I believe that there must have been a weekend, c. 1965, when those who knew how to play exactly four guitar chords, and had never composed anything previously, got together and wrote about 100 pieces.

They published them in a book called "Youth Praise". We used to use it in the 1970s, when it was already getting dog-eared and superannuated.

Though that wasn't ever quite as naff as the excruciating "100 Hymns for Today" which was a mixture of Peter-Paul-and-Mary style "protest songs" mixed with some sub-Vaughn Williams Anglo-Catholic polite disbelief. And, of course, has 2 or 3 seriously great songs in it, which are now in all the other books. It was the mixture of good and bad stuff that made the book so deeply embarrasing to be seen using.

Maybe the lesson is never to sing any songs first collected in the book you are singing them from.

--------------------
Ken

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Joyeux, try singing it as 'Give thanks with a grapefruit tart', or just think of it as the Village People/Pet Shop Boys song 'Go West' - it's exactly the same tune, just a better dance routine. [Wink]

[Killing me] I'll have to remember that the next time my church has a special service of Thanksgiving... the choir member/congregation member who can't sing and is turning purple will be me suffering from unexpressed laughter!

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

[Killing me] I'll have to remember that the next time my church has a special service of Thanksgiving... the choir member/congregation member who can't sing and is turning purple will be me suffering from unexpressed laughter!
My offspring used to embarrass me by singing the football version: Allez, a les Strasbourgeois!

[Could a kind host please put the accent on the 'a' for me, please. ] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albatross
Apprentice
# 4153

- Posted      Profile for Albatross   Author's homepage   Email Albatross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats on this thread, which has caused me to re-register at last! Even if it's only to share a gem or two of my own.....

Many years ago, a Uni friend of mine came up with an alternative version of "What a friend we have in Jesus", and although I only remember the first two lines not a rendition goes by without me remembering it.
"We're all baking scones for Jesus
At the Women's Institute...."

Then there was the time when the Music Group Leader - for the last Service he was doing it for - insisted on having a particular Hymn: "God is our strength and refuge." It only became apparent during the practice why.... yes, it's one that has the Dambusters March as it's tune, and he joined in with his Kazoo. During the service itself there was much sniggering behind Service Sheets while the bemused Priest (who didn't KNOW it was the Dambusters) wondered what was so funny.

Another avenue I think is worth exploring is the confusion that can be wreaked when the same hymn is in two different books, both in use. Exhibit A in this category is "Amazing Grace". There's a version in the Methodist "Hymns and Psalms" and also Mission Praise, and one enterprising Preacher told us the number in each book. About half of us were using each book. All well and good, until the second verse, where the two books have completely different sets of words.....

--------------------
For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, logical, and wrong.

Posts: 34 | From: Merseyside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I just cannot keep away from my favourite thread. Joyeux has a wonderful point about those old hymns - no melody, great lyrics, and worthy of a revision. And the post which immediately preceded mine has me falling off my chair...

I remember, in one parish where I served, that many people just loved the horrid "folk Mass" hymn that follows. They used to ask when I was going to use it ... I refrained from saying 'over my dead body' for fear that, should I meet an untimely end, they'd play it at my funeral. (I'm using the musical phrasing for the words.)

Refrain:
Shout from the highest mountain the
Glory of the Lord
Let all men re-
Joice in him.
Sing from the highest mountain the
Praises of the Lord
Let all men know the
Wonders of our God.

There were at least three verses, but I only remember one:
For all the good things the Lord has done for us,
Let us join now in song.

---

And now, as a truly special treat, I'll record the words of the all time favourite, "Sons of God." It had perhaps fifteen verses - I'll record the ones I can remember. (It gives me a vague sense of cannibalism, even though I'm High Church.)

Refrain:
Sons of God, here his holy word,
Gather round the table of the Lord.
Eat his Body, drink His Blood.
And we'll sing a song of love,
Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia.

Verses (not necessarily in order - and I know there were others):

Brothers, sisters, we are one.
And our lives have just begun.
In the Spirit, we are young.
We can live forever.

Shout together to the Lord,
Who has promised our reward,
Happiness a hundredfold,
And we'll live forever.

If we want to live with him,
We must also die to him,
Die to selfishness and sin,
And we'll rise forever.

With the church we celebrate,
Jesus' coming we await,
So we make a holiday,
So we'll live forever.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Shipmate
# 4058

- Posted      Profile for Frederick Buechner's Lovechild   Email Frederick Buechner's Lovechild       Edit/delete post 
One that always had us in stitches is from Songs of God's People (still used in some Church of Scotlands).

It's called "Let us Talents and Tongues Employ" (which in itself can raise an eyebrow), but sticks in the memory for the chorus:

"Jesus lives again, earth can breathe again, pass the word around - Loaves Abound!"

Anytime this was sung (usually during an evening service), the juvenile among us would spend the next ten minutes trying to catch one another's attention across the room, or digging one another in the ribs, before enthusiastically mouthing the surprising good news that "Loaves Abound". [Smile]

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I think this little true anecdote is one those on this thread can enjoy. Albatross's delightful post reminded me of this one.

One of my friends (who is a highly sensitive sort - the kind who can get so swept away by music or a sermon that she needs sweet tea in order to recover) used to exchange E-Mail with me daily, at around midday. Knowing she liked various hymns, I had informed her of the Cyber Hymnal site. (We are both high Anglican.)

S. e-mailed me one day and asked, "Can an Anglo-Catholic love 'What a Friend we Have in Jesus?'" I responded, "I suppose so, but I absolutely draw the line at 'There is a Fountain Filled with Blood.'"

Poor S.! She immediately responded that she'd just been putting her fork into her lunch, and, having read my response, felt too ill to eat.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, NO, "There is a Fountain" comes out of the same revival that gave us John Newton's "Amazing Grace," though I think that Cowper went crazy either right before or right after he composed "Fountain."

Actually, it's not so bad after you get past the bloody fountain bit. "The dying thief rejoiced to see/that fountain in his day..." It also works better if you concatenate the verses and skip the repetion of the last line as a chorus.

Which reminds me: surely you have encountered Virginia Carey Hudson's Oh ye jigs and juleps, a delightful little book about growing up Episcopalian in the south. As a girl, she attended a church that was right next door to a (southern) baptist congregation where they were always singing "there is a fountain." VCH observed that she thought it "much more ladylike" to "crown a King" than to "plunge about in a bloody fountain."

And by some obscure process of mental equivalences, this reminds me of one of the truly awful songs of the 60s: "Pass It On"

quote:

It only takes a spark
To get a fire goin'
And soon all those about
Can warm up to its glowin'

Which is frighteningly close to what all we boys hoped would happen on those co-ed youth group trips.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Which reminds me: surely you have encountered Virginia Carey Hudson's Oh ye jigs and juleps, a delightful little book about growing up Episcopalian in the south.

It is very late now, and time for a brief prayer before I finally go to sleep. I shall include one of thanksgiving that I am acquainted neither with such a book nor with the climate in which it would grow... (Incidentally, I only heard the "Fountain" song once in my life. A young man I knew, who was a minister of one of the Reformed churches, told me of his organist introducing it - bleaaah!)

I did remember "Pass it On," and your sentiments are excellent. (Wasn't the next verse, "you want to sing, it's fresh like spring" or something?) I once saw a young nun trying to teach it to elderly people (in five minutes) before a service. The melody is so 'un-singable' that it undoubtedly was sufficient penance to prepare them for the afterlife.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
continued from tomb...to torture everyone:

That's how it is with God's love,
Once you've experienced it
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on.

What a wonderous time is spring
When all the trees are budding
The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming
That's how it is with God's love
Once you've experienced it.
You want to sing, it's fresh like spring
You want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found
You can depend on God
It matters not where you're bound
I'll shout it from the mountain top - Praise God!
I want the world to know
The lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on

Bleh! As Newman's Own said, it is completely un-ing-able - I remember trying to sing "experienced" like "exprncd"!! The worst rendition was when we had to do a rap-style melody to it... [Help]

And everytime I heard "pass it on" I thought of some transmittable disease...though this song may fit the description!

What freaks me out is that these songs are from the 60s and yet they are wheeled on out in Sydney Anglican churches [at least the ones I used to visit] on a weekly basis...are we stuck in a time-warp down here!?!?

And multipara - I had no idea it was a Romish ditty...I didn't think Romans could ever come up with something so naff!

Admiral.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

A flash of horror...and two songs have entered my mind:

The first, Jehovah Jirah, which must have the horrid tune to unleash its full torture:

quote:

Jehovah Jirah, my provider
His grace is sufficient for me, for ME! FOR MEEEEEEEE!!!
Jehovah Jirah, my provider
His grace is sufficient for me.

My God shall supply all my needs
According to his riches in glory.
He shall give his angels charge over me
Jehovah Jireh cares for me, for ME! FOR MEEEEEEEE!!!
Jehovah Jireh cares for me!

And this, which none of us worked out how to pronounce anyway:

quote:

El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El Elyonna Adonai,
age to age you're still the same,
by the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
erkamkana Adonai,
we will praise and lift you high,
El Shaddai.

Admiral.
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Though that wasn't ever quite as naff as the excruciating "100 Hymns for Today" which was a mixture of Peter-Paul-and-Mary style "protest songs" mixed with some sub-Vaughan Williams Anglo-Catholic polite disbelief.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
quote:
I didn't think Romans could ever come up with something so naff!

You clearly haven't seen Gather Australia
Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to say I've sung 'Jehovah Jireh' round the house at times - usually towards the end of the month. [Wink]

I did once hear someone pray 'Lord, we know we can trust you to provide for our needs, because you are Jehovah Giro'.

[Killing me]

And I love 'El Shaddai' to listen to (preferably the original Michael Card version), but I wouldn't expect a congregation to pronounce it!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I rather used to like Jehovah Jireh Haven't heard it for eyars. It was almost the only tune I could easily play on the flute.

I also rather like There is a Fountain. We've been known to sing it sometimes at out church.

But then I also like some of the songs of Philip Bliss. We sang Hallelujah, what a Savour! yesterday, desperatly feebly and out-of-tune, as always:

quote:

Man of Sorrows! what a name
For the Son of God, Who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
?Full atonement!? can it be?

Lifted up was He to die;
?It is finished!? was His cry;
Now in heav?n exalted high.

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we?ll sing:

They don't write 'em like that any more [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

Amelie
Shipmate
# 4138

- Posted      Profile for Amelie         Edit/delete post 
I like the song 'Man of Sorrows' very much, but I always want to sing 'stood' and 'blood' as if they rhyme with rude in the second verse which always distracts me.

I once got the giggles too when we were singing 'Our God Reigns' with the line in it that described Jesus as 'dumb as a sheep'!

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This sunday, we had "when the spirit of the Lord is within my heart..."

When the Spirit of the Lord is within my heart, I will sing as David sang etc, with clap, praise and dance substituted for 'sing' in each verse.

All goes swimmingly, until the 'dance as David danced' verse, at which point my only thought is 'as David danced? kit off then.'.

Husband restrained me, but only just.

b

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff Pony:
quote:
Oh, and am I the only one who has ever sung the hymn "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?

Actually, you can sing "Amazing Grace" to a large number of 1960s sitcom theme songs. Try out "The Brady Bunch" or "My Three Sons" or "The Andy Griffith Show."
And, since "Weird Al" Yankovic did the "Brady Bunch" theme to the tune of the 1980s pop song "The Safety Dance" (by Men Without Hats), ergo... [Razz]

You can also sing almost any Emily Dickenson poem to the tunes of these songs.

Because I could not stop for Death -- / He kindly stopped for me -- / If not for the courage of the fearless crew -- / The Minnow -- would be lost --

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Refrain:
Sons of God, here his holy word,
Gather round the table of the Lord.
Eat his Body, drink His Blood.
And we'll sing a song of love,
Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia.

Verses (not necessarily in order - and I know there were others):

Brothers, sisters, we are one.
And our lives have just begun.
In the Spirit, we are young.
We can live forever.

Shout together to the Lord,
Who has promised our reward,
Happiness a hundredfold,
And we'll live forever.

If we want to live with him,
We must also die to him,
Die to selfishness and sin,
And we'll rise forever.

With the church we celebrate,
Jesus' coming we await,
So we make a holiday,
So we'll live forever.

I remember the first time I heard this song. It was at a play called "Tony 'N' Tina's Wedding," which is about the Italian wedding from hell. Anyway, the groom's sister (a nun, of course), came out front with a guitar and had everyone in the church sing this song. My cousin happened to be in the play and he sent his boss ion the play to come harass me during this song. Needless to say, "eat his booty" now goes through my head whenever I hear this song. Considering how bad the song is, it is probably an improvement.

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Amelie:
I like the song 'Man of Sorrows' very much, but I always want to sing 'stood' and 'blood' as if they rhyme with rude in the second verse which always distracts me.

That is like me with "God rest you merry Gentlemen":

"The shepherds at these tidings rejoicèd much in mind,
And left their flocks a-feeding in tempest, storm and wind."

Most services I've been to - with a choir - rhymed "wind" with "mind": yet I'm always stuck next to someone who as well as forgetting to pronounced "rejoicèd" with two syllables - and hence ends up one beat ahead of everyone else [Big Grin] - and forgets to rhyme 'wind' with 'mind'.

I am a pendant, aren't I??? [Help]

Out of curiousity, did "mind" and "wind" once rhyme? I assume so, given the song.

Admiral.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by me:

I am a pendant, aren't I??? [Help]

Yes, I dangle off people's necks! PEDANT!

And I meant to spell "curiosity" correctly too.

[Embarrassed] Admiral. [Embarrassed]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Out of curiousity, did "mind" and "wind" once rhyme? I assume so, given the song.

Yes.

Originally, all the -ind words had a short vowel. In monosyllables, this lengthened in the Middle English period, and then shifted from "ee" to "eye" with the great vowel shift.

However, wind, because of forms like "windmill" and "windlas" kept being attracted back to a short 'i', which it has now stablised with.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

OK, feel better for saying that. Oh, and am I the only one who has ever sung the hymn "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?

Cassandra

When I lived in Atlanta, I heard a local band do Amazing Grace to the tune of "Purple Haze". That was cool! And the guitarist got so into the solo, that he would broke every guitar string but one. [Cool]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 4058

Does anyone know the John Wimber song, "Beautiful, Isn't He" (Songs of Fellowship).

ISN’T HE BEAUTIFUL, beautiful isn’t He?
Prince of Peace, Son of God, isn’t He?
Isn’t He wonderful, wonderful isn’t He?
Counsellor, Almighty God, isn’t He, isn’t He, isn’t He?

I can't read this without thinking of Paul Whitehouse's character, Ron Manager, in the Fast Show.
"Isn't he, wasn't he? Small boys playing in the park? Jumpers for goalpoasts....." etc......

--------------------

Insomniac
Shipmate
# 4121

- Posted      Profile for Insomniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What does anyone think of 'More than oxygen'?
I can't sing it without cringing/laughing but it seems to be a favourite of our music group so maybe it's just me who has a problem with it...

Some of the highlights are;

More than oxygen I need your love/more than the life-giving food the hungry dream of

More than magnet and steel are drawn to unite/more than poets love words that rhyme as they write...I need you more than all of these things

bobthemagicviking
Apprentice
# 903

- Posted      Profile for bobthemagicviking   Email bobthemagicviking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was at a wedding last summer where Dear Lord and Father of mankind was sung. Had to restain myself from laughing at the irony of the words at a wedding

Lines such as

"Reclothe us in our rightful mind"

"Breathe through the heats of our desire....."

etc.(Do I need to continue?) Have not been able to sing that hymn with a straight face since!

--------------------
I know that God loves you and because you are worthy to be loved by God, you should love yourself - The little Catholic Catechism

Posts: 3 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 4058

quote:
More than oxygen I need your love/more than the life-giving food the hungry dream of
Nice one, Insomniac! Haven't heard it, but it reminds me of a song by Sweet in the late 70's....

"Love is like oxygen - you get too much, you get too high. Not enough and you're gonna die. Love makes you high"!

Some plagiarism going on somewhere??

quote:
Had to restain myself from laughing at the irony of the words at a wedding

What did you restain yourself with, Bob, and could you get the stain out afterwards? And what about the cremation when the chosen hymn for the contained the line "So light up the fires and let the flames burn"?! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
quote:
I didn't think Romans could ever come up with something so naff!

You clearly haven't seen Gather Australia
I hadn't - I used google and it came up with a letters page from the Catholic Weekly: "Is Gather Australia un-Catholic"!!! Sounds interesting.

On to the choruses...

quote:

King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Glory Hallelujah!
King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Glory Hallelujah!
Jesus Prince of Peace, Glory Hallelujah!
Jesus Prince of Peace, Glory Hallelujah!

Of course, it's obligatory to repeat 10,000 times and get faster and faster as you do...

And this...please someone tell me it is a joke!!!:

quote:

If God can love turkeys,
God can love you.
For you are a turkey,
but I am one too.
So when you're lonely, wa-ooo
Remember the truth.
If God can love turkeys,
God can love you.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016