homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Don't blink (Dr Who thread) (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Don't blink (Dr Who thread)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Odd thing, I was sure, from reading in advance, that Ashildr's name would be As-hildr, meaning god-battle, which would have been very fitting. But everyone said Ash-ildr, which doesn't mean anything.
Wherever the eels hailed from, I'm not sure they would have had enough power for the job.

Echoes of late Quatermass, as well as the Magnificent 7. And something else, not sure what. "How to train your dragon"? "Noggin the Nog"? Can't place it.

[ 18. October 2015, 14:16: Message edited by: Penny S ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is well known that the Vikings had colonies in North America. The eels were a curiosity gift from a South American tribe they were trading with at some point.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought last night's story was rather patchy, ranging from the unbearably cheesy (most of the Viking "Dad's Army" stuff) to the utterly brilliant (all the other bits that had Peter Capaldi in them).

I actually got a shiver down my spine when he started his translation of the "baby talk". The tone of it was judged to perfection.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice hall. Very nice carvings. Wonder where they shot it. Wasn't the one at Borg on Lofoten.

It was a bit too nice for that size settlement.

And I wonder where the Doctor got all his knowledge of the projection equipment and stuff in the helmets. Didn't see him with an electronic source (with Don't Panic on the cover).

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've been reading elsewhere.

Apparently the production team knew the horns were wrong, but used them because "some of the audience would expect them".

One comment suggested the reference to "corn" was another anachronism. got corrected, Though.

O tempora, O flipping ignorance.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nothing wrong with "corn".

I did wonder where Ashildr's mum was, though - and Baby Lofty's mum.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Adeodatus: I actually got a shiver down my spine when he started his translation of the "baby talk". The tone of it was judged to perfection.
Absolutely. Maybe when I look back, this will be the episode where Capaldi really started to fit in the role. More of this please.

Another thing: I know that a couple of people on this thread don't like having celebrities on the show. I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I can't judge that very well. But that scene where Ashildr was standing on the shore, the sun moving around her, and she turns from an innocent girl to someone with the wisdom of ages ... I'm not sure if a lesser actor could have pulled that off. Brilliant.

quote:
Penny S: It was a bit too nice for that size settlement.
I felt the same way. The angles on those house were too straight. I think this is because they used an existing museum-medieval village as a set?

quote:
Penny S: And I wonder where the Doctor got all his knowledge of the projection equipment and stuff in the helmets. Didn't see him with an electronic source (with Don't Panic on the cover).
He had his 2000 year diary.

quote:
Eigon: I did wonder where Ashildr's mum was, though - and Baby Lofty's mum.
Maybe this was part of the show's attempt to show diversity, non-traditional role models and such?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Baby Lofty's mum was obviously about as the baby "spoke" to her.

I know there's nothing wrong with "corn" but someone elsewhere thought it could only be used of maize. (Lindsey Davis has a similar problem with readers who visualise the stuff in Ancient Rome.)

I should have noticed, but "As" is the same name element as "Os".

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That passed in at least half the time of last week's, possibly less. There were things happening. The dialogue was doing stuff other than setting up scary bits.

(Nitpick: viking is an occupation not a nationality. It's like a group of Elizabethan English peasants calling themselves privateers.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

(Nitpick: viking ...

In Norse maybe, but clearly the Tardis translator, translated Gaet (or whatever) as Viking* [Smile]

Also, I found wikipedia does have a (very partial) old english version. [Yipee]

*I'm now trying to think of an appropriate country with a really mismatched stereotype or etymology.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Did they call being Viking a nationality on the show?

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Did they call being Viking a nationality on the show?

Not quite.
But the non-viking(verb) norse* people declared themselves vikings (as supposed to the other trades).

*I bet this is just as bad.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moving on from Vikings...is this the end of the sonic shades? Is the screwdriver going to make a welcome return? And since when did the Doctor have the ability to choose his next face? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Romana chose her next face, so it's possible.

And I liked that little callback, personally. Maybe remembering the importance of the few (or the one) will put an end to this silly idea that this Doctor doesn't know to relate to humans. The 'cue-cards' the other week felt like a leftover Sherlock joke from Moffatt's bottom drawer.

And please lose the glasses! Midlife crisis or what?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, I'd forgotten Romana - I've not seen those eps in years.

And I second the rest of your post, Gill H. It was a touching little scene that brought a lump to the throat.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, still not working for me. Electric eels, the Doctor talking baby, high tech gadgets whipped up out of nothing - it all felt very silly. (And the enemy shared a name with a villain from Classic Who, without any apparent connection, but that is a bit geeky I know.)

Also, early on the Doctor says he only wants to make ripples, then goes and creates an immortal - surely that is a tidal wave? By the end I didn't care sufficiently for Asshilder to care if she was brought back, instead of any of the other characters who'd died. Have I said on these boards that I fear Capaldi is in danger of becoming another McCoy - a good actor who never gets the chance to shine because of silly scripts?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Robert Armin: Also, early on the Doctor says he only wants to make ripples, then goes and creates an immortal - surely that is a tidal wave?
Of course it is, that's the whole idea of this episode (and probably the next).

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Well, in the trailer for next week Ashildr appears as any number of characters, including a highwayman. So a tidal wave is about to slosh over things, it would seem.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news, I'm greatly enjoying the old Who repeats on the Horror Channel on my newly re-tuned freebox. We've had 2 stories per Doctor, the best IMO being The Silurians and Inferno, both Jon Pertwee. I hadn't seen much number three stuff but am pretty impressed.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
In other news, I'm greatly enjoying the old Who repeats on the Horror Channel on my newly re-tuned freebox. We've had 2 stories per Doctor, the best IMO being The Silurians and Inferno, both Jon Pertwee. I hadn't seen much number three stuff but am pretty impressed.

You'll be getting more than 2 per Doctor from here on in, and you're entering the period that for some fans (especially Of A Certain Age) is the best.

For myself, I think The Silurians is one of the best stories in the show's history, and I distinctly remember at the age of 7 being terrified by the opening scene of the first episode, and then at regular intervals throughout. The story falls to bits a bit in the last episode, but it's one of the greatest. If I remember right, the writer intended it as a sort of parable on the subject of immigration - who does the planet "belong" to? (On a completely different level, an amusing game to play during The Silurians is to spot how many times Jon Pertwee is cruel to pencils - slamming them down on the desk, knocking them onto the floor, etc. Bad day for pencils.)

After Inferno, Horror Channel will be showing Terror of the Autons, which introduces the Master. It's one of Robert Holmes's more brilliant scripts for the show and has some deliciously dark comic moments. (Now I think of it, there are definite similarities between the Master's characterisation in that story, and Missy's most recent appearance.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mm yes, those of us of a certain age may also be pleasantly surprised by the appearance of a youthful-looking Paul Darrow in "The Silurians".

("Timelash" is best forgotten about.)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I started watching as a kid with late Baker, so any opportunity to catch up is pounced on.

Re: Inferno and The Silurians. Apart from all the other good things (Oh logical plotting, where did you go?) Liz Shaw is an excellent companion: capable and straight forward and not fawning.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There was a period when I couldn't afford a TV, and missed things - most of McCoy for example. It's great being able to catch up, as well as re-viewing ones I remember. I definitely hadn't seen the one with Martin Clunes as a useless aristocrat and Tegan taken over by a fiendish serpent. Davison was as guilty about having exposed her to harm and determined to save her as the current avatar with Clara.

But why "Horror"? And Wild Wild West, Wonder Woman, Xena and Hercules? These are horror?

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Re: Inferno and The Silurians. Apart from all the other good things (Oh logical plotting, where did you go?) Liz Shaw is an excellent companion: capable and straight forward and not fawning.

I agree about Liz Shaw, though the then production team decided she was too competent and didn't even bother to write her out.

If you wanted to subject the logic of the plots of Inferno and Silurians to the same scrutiny as the modern series you'd get about the same results. The old series, seven episodes, can get away with putting long chunks of technobabble over the cracks, where the new series just has to lampshade it and run.
The Silurians is the one where the Doctor originally reverses the polarity of the neutron flow.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back to the underwater ghosts episode, I was really pleased to see a deaf character where her deafness did not turn out to be integral to the plot. It was just part of her character. I also really enjoyed the scene with the axe.

I wasn't sure about this week's Viking episode either. Especially bring the girl back an immortal. I can't help wondering if hybrids are going to be a significant polt arc this series (with both the dalek/time lord hybrid and the immortal girl being refered to as a hybrid). Or it could just be coincidence.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I've just seen a load of comments on Facebook about who Ashildr might be - a lot of people seem to want her to be either the new companion, or Capt Jack [Ultra confused] ...can't see that meself, and as (I believe) she's still filming Game of Thrones, I doubt whether she'll be much of a recurring character, let alone a new companion. But who knows?

I really really want the new companion to be male...

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I really really want the new companion to be male...

I maintain that Bernard Cribbins would have made an excellent companion.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Me too - very disappointed that he didn't get that job!
I'm not expecting any surprises in the choice of next companion.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I just have one request: can the next companion please please not have a boyfriend? (unless perhaps if it's a male companion) We've done that with Rose, with Amy and with Clara and it never worked well.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Not Dr Who, but apparently Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom", showing tonight, set in Alfred's period, includes some pumpkins and a Harris hawk (I wouldn't have spotted the hawk as being transatlantic, but someone writing to Radio Times did.)

I wonder if they'll have cow horns as well.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

Thirded - I still miss Wilf [Frown]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I just have one request: can the next companion please please not have a boyfriend? (unless perhaps if it's a male companion) We've done that with Rose, with Amy and with Clara and it never worked well.

I'll give you with Rose. And I can just about see an argument that Danny didn't work well even if I disagree with it. But how can anyone say Rory didn't work well?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

Thirded - I still miss Wilf [Frown]
Fourthed. If there is such a word. Wilf was lovely. But please, no more lovelorn females with crushes on the Doctor. Let's have a geeky youth who knows all there is to know about computers and can even fly the Tardis, but is hopeless and often inarticulate with attractive young women.

[ 22. October 2015, 19:30: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Please, no. No Adric, no Will whats'isname from Star Trek, and who was the other one who was good at stuff (in the bits I missed, but only saw briefly)? Not because I don't think a male companion would be bad, but there are other skills, surely, which would be useful. Without cutting across the Doctor too much. He does rather limit the range of engineering skills which would be valuable. And having no communication skills with women would mean there were two of them. Someone who could swarm up scaling ladders could be useful, and yomp around carrying the gear needed for the next fancy device. If they aren't having the sonic screwdriver, they're going to need real ones. with different heads. And adjustable spanners and stuff...
I've got a fancy pen sent to me to encourage me to encourage girls to do IT at school - which I was already doing. We don't need more TV showing computers as male territory.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dafyd: But how can anyone say Rory didn't work well?
At the start, when he was still Amy's boyfriend, the writers tried to make a lot of this Amy-Rory-Doctor triangle, culminating in that horrible scene where Amy tried to throw the Doctor on the bed. They tried this kind of triangles with Rose and Clara also, and it never worked.

It got much better after Amy and Rory were married and this triangle stuff finally stopped. Arthur Darvill is a terrific actor (I personally think he's one of the most underrated ones in Dr Who), and when they finally let go of this ballast, he could really shine. But some of the boyfriend stuff was very bad.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... she's still filming Game of Thrones, I doubt whether she'll be much of a recurring character, let alone a new companion. But who knows?

Being a main character in Game of Thrones today does not mean that tomorrow you won't be appearing on the Westeros Death Pool.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: no Will whats'isname from Star Trek
Wil Wheaton. While Wesley Crusher was an annoying character, Wil Wheaton is actually an admirable person. I read a lot of the stuff he writes on the internet, and I like it a lot. (In fact, he'd be the first to admit that Wesley Crusher was an annoying character.)

quote:
Pine Marten: as (I believe) she's still filming Game of Thrones, I doubt whether she'll be much of a recurring character, let alone a new companion. But who knows?
I think that in one of the BBC interviews, it was suggested that she would become a recurring character.

[ 22. October 2015, 21:02: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I did have that impression from stuff I had seen about Wil Wheaton. An occasion when I feel that remembering the actor's name rather than the character was an error.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Going back to possible male companions, I had a wistful liking for The Next Doctor's Jackson Lake, too. He was bold, courageous, and had mechanical skills.

And Dervla Kirwan made a great villain - I grow nostalgic just thinking of them both...

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly I don't think James Corden's character would have such great chemistry with Capaldi. Otherwise he would have been a fun companion.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the Big Finish stories, the Sixth Doctor had a Companion called Evelyn, who was a history professor close to retirement age, who always carried a handbag. She was great!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's been a few decades since Adric. I'd envisage someone more like Turlough (who I liked), but without confidence with women.

Mickey was a bit of a disaster for quite some time until he got the hang of it towards the end of the series.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Why without confidence with women? Over confidence I could understand, but someone able to get on with women as equals would be acceptable, surely?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Boring. He'd be just like pretty well everybody else, and probably immediately forgettable. A companion ought to have some kind of quirk. It's more fun that way.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Really? What I wrote is ordinary? And there are other quirks to hand, surely? Being afraid of the dark? Always having to step out of a door left foot first? Reading a book at every available moment? Cooking to Bake-Off standards? Being able to play any musical instrument? Making musical instruments. Being dyslexic? High end Downs Syndrome? Deaf? Veteran with PTSD and injury? Someone as good at disguise as Sherlock Holmes or that guy in Greenmantle. Sandy Arbuthnot. Muslim. (Problem - where is Mecca? The Tardis would have to have a self-aligning prayer room.) They had one in Robin Hood. Friar. Educated shaman. First Nations from somewhere. With survival skills.

Some of those would have problems getting on with women, but that would be secondary.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

(Actually, some of these things describe me.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Really? What I wrote is ordinary? And there are other quirks to hand, surely? Being afraid of the dark? Always having to step out of a door left foot first? Reading a book at every available moment? Cooking to Bake-Off standards? Being able to play any musical instrument? Making musical instruments. Being dyslexic? High end Downs Syndrome? Deaf? Veteran with PTSD and injury? Someone as good at disguise as Sherlock Holmes or that guy in Greenmantle. Sandy Arbuthnot. Muslim. (Problem - where is Mecca? The Tardis would have to have a self-aligning prayer room.) They had one in Robin Hood. Friar. Educated shaman. First Nations from somewhere. With survival skills.

Some of those would have problems getting on with women, but that would be secondary.

It's fiction. Whatever quirk they have has to be directly relevant to the plot somehow and a kind of recurring theme, not a subsidiary one that pops up now and again. Being afraid of the dark would be a good one.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Is that on Freeview? I don't think I have seen it on my Freeview box!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It is Freeview 70 - you may need to retune. And then go through removing all the dreck again.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

That was nice.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016