homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
England just have to be more hard-nosed about Tests in this country and prepare the pitches to suit our skills and preferences; after all, every other country does!

That's true, but it would also be nice if we could show a bit more flexibility in how we play, and adapt to different conditions a bit better. Otherwise, we'll never win away from home.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
England just have to be more hard-nosed about Tests in this country and prepare the pitches to suit our skills and preferences; after all, every other country does!

That's true, but it would also be nice if we could show a bit more flexibility in how we play, and adapt to different conditions a bit better. Otherwise, we'll never win away from home.
It's true that England don't adapt well, but we bend over backwards to make things as easy as possible for visiting teams by preparing pitches so bland that their own batsmen's limitations aren't shown up. If we make our pitches suit us, we shouldn't lose many series then, provided we do adapt and select with care, we can get a few wins overseas that, overall, improves our position and rating.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do we reckon is going to happen at the Oval over the next few days?

I pass the ground on my commute and if I catch the traffic right, I can watch the match for a few minutes from the top deck of the bus on the way home. It was pretty overcast, so I'd be expecting a swinging air to the place.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that, for the first time this summer, a Proper Test Match™ has broken out. I have to confess, I didn't see that one coming!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seemed to be an attempt at the same sort of thing in Colombo at the moment - India made 393 all out but then Sri Lanka lost an early wicket. Hopefully things will pick up later.

It is Kumar Sangakarra last Test so I hope it's a good one - I also hope India win, of course.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed - while Trent Bridge was something else I like my drama to finish well after tea on the fifth day, so I get as much cricket as possible!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good to get a proper Test Match and I'm strangely glad the Australians have had a good day. A contest is better to win than a walkover.

Annoyingly, though, in the hope that the game might go to 5 days I booked Monday off in the hope that I might get a ticket on the gate, as I had done for the New Zealand Test at Lord's earlier this summer. But I've got to be housebound, waiting for the gas man cometh.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad was born Sarf of the River, poor thing, and I often asked him why the final Test was always at a Minor Counties ground - he rose to it year after year!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not seen Mitchell Johnson being bowled by Moeen Ali but it could be that the ball is gripping already! That means Australia could have had the best of the batting conditions, England erred in not selecting Rashid, and Nathan Lyon could have a field day in England's second innings.

As others have said, proper Test cricket: balanced sides, remember you have five days to play, one poor shot and you'll be sat in the dressing room for a day or two.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Sioni, what do you reckon the lottery numbers will be?

Somehow I don't think England will make this 4-1. Will be 4-1, quite possibly, but not win 4-1.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
So, Sioni, what do you reckon the lottery numbers will be?

Any of these numbers from our opening partnerships (half way down the page).
quote:

Somehow I don't think England will make this 4-1. Will be 4-1, quite possibly, but not win 4-1.

AG

We'll be lucky to make this match last into day 4, session 1.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I honest to fucking Ganesha do not know what is happening here. If anyone can explain the fact that our lads were all out for 60 in the last test, and now have not only piled up 481 runs, but also have England at 107/8, please do so. I've lost faith in reality.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

If you weren't so far away we'd meet up in a pub and thrash it out. It's been the most bizarre series of reversals imaginable. We don't know what the flip has gone one either.

As an Englishman I'm delighted with the result of the series, but as a sportsman who wanted five five dayers I'm utterly bemused.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England's problem yesterday was "poor shot selection" according to G Boycott, but I've heard that expression from him so often that it applies to any error made by any batsmen, especially attacking shots that go to hand. Didn't he say the same after Australia were out for 60 (and England for 103)?

At least Moeen and Wood made 57 for the ninth wicket. After what had gone before that was good but they make as good a ninth wicket pair as you will find.

England are following on. Let's see if Lyth can redeem himself.

eta: Australia have only three slips and one gully. With a lead of 300 and an innings in hand?

[ 22. August 2015, 10:53: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I honest to fucking Ganesha do not know what is happening here. If anyone can explain the fact that our lads were all out for 60 in the last test, and now have not only piled up 481 runs, but also have England at 107/8, please do so. I've lost faith in reality.

Pressure's gone?

I sometimes play my best sport when there's no pressure.

#shrug

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

will the weather somehow conjure a draw for England?

Meanwhile Sri Lanka are hoping they can play all day tomorrow with just eight wickets left and 341 runs required - and the weather could interfere here, too.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh well, all over but The Ashes back where they belong!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

And as the Ashes slid to a somewhat ignominious end, another of the Invincibles died.

RIP Arthur Morris

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
And as the Ashes slid to a somewhat ignominious end, another of the Invincibles died.

RIP Arthur Morris

AG

That leaves just one of the side, Neil Harvey.

To give an idea of how "Invincible" that side was, they played 31 matches of which nine were drawn and the others won; fifteen by an innings, two by ten wickets and another by 409 runs. They won the Tests 4-0 with one draw.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Frank Tyson has died. What with Morris, Close and Tyson going in such close company, it'll be busy at the pearly bar.

AG

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
anyone following today's events? As an England and Moseley rugby fan let's just say a test against Pakistan is welcome distraction (for now)...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...Until their spinners start bowling, at least. [Biased]

I watched a grand total of 1 ball. That ball happened to be a jaffa from Jimmy, which slightly left the batsman and went past very very close to the edge. The fielders went up, thinking they'd heard a noise which the commentators said was clear. Ump gives not out. Skipper reviews. TV umpire has to adjudicate without the help of snicko or hot spot!! For some unfathomable reason, they don't have them in Abu Dhabi. It took him about five minutes of going back-and-forward, frame-by-frame, until he could convince himself that there was no daylight between bat and ball as it went past the edge and so the on-field decision should be reversed.

It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in sport: Officials asked to use technology to make a decision, without the technology! Play was held up for ages, the batsman was clearly frustrated, and (IMNVHO) the on-field decision should never have been reversed because after seeing the same evidence as the TV umpire, I thought it was clear as mud!!

I thought reviews were there to make sure the howlers were corrected. This wasn't that.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

For Abu Dhabi four down on day 1 is good. Seven down, as it should have been, would have put England in the driving seat.

It does mean that England have the necessary. The quicks have been cheap as chips and it's too early for a part-timer and a debutant to achieve much.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For Abu Dhabi four down on day 1 is good. Seven down, as it should have been, would have put England in the driving seat.

It does mean that England have the necessary. The quicks have been cheap as chips and it's too early for a part-timer and a debutant to achieve much.

I'm with Sir Geoffrey on the part-timer (and not just as a Worcestershire partisan) - it oughtn't to make sense, there's nothing obviously threatening, and he's not a Test class spinner - but he has this infuriating-for-the-pundits habit of taking test wickets...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It looks as though a couple did eventually stick in Bell's mitts. Pity the two batsmen made 247 between them, mind.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

On the BBC website someone observed that Shoaib had not played Test cricket for five year and he now looked like he was going to bat for five more. Eventually he was dismissed "Tired out".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now Cook has replied with his own double hundred. Difficult to see this as being anything other than a draw now, barring the usual miracles (=England cock up badly).

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

This is looking like it could have been a Timeles test. Just gone tea on Day 4 and England are five down in their first innnings having just overtaken Pakistan's first innings. IIRC, most tests in England are over by teatime on day four, unless the weather intervenes.

nb Cook has hit a FOUR, his first for 36 overs!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Meanwhile in Galle it looks as if West Indies will lose by an innings plus against Sri Lanka - 8 wickets down in their second innings and still 49 runs to get! But Jermaine Blackwood is being very obstinate.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In the end an innings and 6 runs.

Is the Eng - Pak match being played on a billiard table? They might as well be playing on the old ground in Antigua!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm pretty sure a billiard table would have a bit more bounce than this pitch.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I've certainly played pool on tables with more variable bounce, but England have taken five Pakistan wickets including a couple for Rashid. It won't make for a result but they will be the better going into the remaining tests with a strong performance behind them.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England have, amazingly got a chance, but they probably have 45 minutes to make 99. Pakistan OTOH will bowl as few deliveries as possible! It could be tricky for the umpires.

I doubt England will do it unless there are a couple of very big overs, say twenty plus.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bad light closed the Test down ... [Mad]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think a draw is probably a fair result but we need more competitive pitches!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think a draw is probably a fair result but we need more competitive pitches!

We need to hang on to chances too!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Proper Test cricket in Sharjah. 90 overs, 218 runs, four wickets. If England can plod on into the afternoon tomorrow they should have a useful lead, even though Ben Stokes looks out of the match.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

I think the aim should be for a lead of about 150, rely on Anderson & Broad to get the first 4 wickets and then Rashid will come into his own, have them out for 200 and then even on a deteriorating wicket that will turn and bounce, we should be able to get 50 runs to win.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Ah well. Nobody really expected that England could win in the Emirates, did they? I'm just glad we were vaguely competitive for some of the time.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile at the Gabba (Brisbane) Australia in their second innings are already leading NZ by 400+ near the end of day 3, with no wickets lost. This match could become some small revenge for the Rugby World Cup (where NZ beat Australia in the final).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and after a dismal performance in the short format toy cricket India thrash the South Africans in the first Test at Mohali.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...and after a dismal performance in the short format toy cricket India thrash the South Africans in the first Test at Mohali.

Opinions about the pitch seemed to be divided until Sunil Gavaskar reported on its dryness and cracked appearance. Amazingly the match lasted almost three full days and of the 40 batsmen dismissed 25 were out in single figures.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The second Test between Australia and New Zealand appears to be no less painful than the first. They are 416-2 at the close, with David Warner just failing to score 250 on the first day! If he takes some care Lara's record is in sight by about teatime tomorrow.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

The second pyjama game in the Emirates is looking tasty - Pakistan chasing 284 are 29-3.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

104/6 in 32, Pakistan need exactly ten an over. I wouldn't call it impossible but they don't have Shahid Afridi any more.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

A good stand in the middle order should have made a game of it, but it didn't happen. Ah well, England aren't complaining!

AG

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warner finally out for 253 Day 2 Aus v NZ test match.

Good on him but rather yawnworthy watching such one sided cricket. Hopefully things will get more interesting now.

Smith looking (rightly) a bit more measured and conservative this morning. Been a bit gung ho.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Looking at the scorecard, it almost looks like limp subsidence after Warner and Kawaja went!

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Gobsmackingly, despite Mitchell Starc in particular, the Kiwis are within forty runs of a lead with four wickets in hand!

AG

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The WACA ground has long been renowned as a fast bowlers paradise, with teams rarely making much more than 300 in an innings and matches often all over in 3 days.

But this time, we have had both sides scoring over 500 in their first innings, with one batter on each side making a double century (Warner for Aus and Taylor for NZ) and no fewer than four others making a century (not least Kane Williamson of New Zealand who has so far this series looked all class without a discernible weakness).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016