homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm impressed by Broad's bowling, and enjoying us winning away from home, I can't help feeling that when a game ends in three days I'm being done out of two days listening...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is amazingly diabolical batting by India. Monumental cock-up.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
Now that is amazingly diabolical batting by India. Monumental cock-up.

It takes some special to lose like that even against Australia. Three lions on your shirt are usually required.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We taught them everything they know?!

--------------------

If only.

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Zealand prepared a green top wicket in Wellington to suit their good swing bowlers, but unfortunately for them lost the toss and had to bat first. Result 50/5 after an hour or so of day 1 and all out for 183. After Australia lost two quick wickets , still on day 1, the pitch eased and they kept batting: 463/6 at stumps on day 2. It will take a massive third innings by NZ to save the match, but Wellington has seem a few of those. McCullum made 300 here a year or two back!

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may seem a bit out of my usual line but I'm really, really pleased that West Indies won the Under 19s World Cup - a resurgence of the Windies canonly be good for the game globally.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do the big three just roll over and go to sleep when they put their pajamas on?
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

I know it's just not cricket, but, bloody hell, England won chasing 230.

--------------------

If only.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was telling all and sundry here that England had no chance against the Proteas and that I wasn't even bothering to stay up to watch their innings - and I at there spellbound as they did it!

Is Joe Root good or what?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was telling all and sundry here that England had no chance against the Proteas and that I wasn't even bothering to stay up to watch their innings - and I at there spellbound as they did it!

Is Joe Root good or what?

Nasser Hussein was on TV this evening proclaiming Root as our best ever, over all three forms. That conveniently ignores the greats of the past. From what I've read Wally Hammond and Denis Compton would have loved ODIs and T20s. There are probably a dozen others besides, but Root is very good.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Peter May would have had fun over the shorter formats, and possibly even Fiery Fred.

Bangladesh made a bit of a pig's ear of it last night, sad about that as my perfect semi-final line-up would be India [of course], Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh with the trophy going to India [of course].

Ah well, one can dream!

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

!

--------------------

If only.

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

!

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That funny smell.... might it have been a nation of over a billion people all bricking themselves at once?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England's was a worry but ......

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It was quite a game, we were on the edges of our seats. How many times has the third umpire been called upon to adjudicate on the last ball of a game? I'm not sure my heart would stand many more finishes as close as that.

The men's game has a day off today so we can all recover a bit.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And .... England almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Sri Lanka. But we won and will now play New Zealand in the semis. And base on what I've seen so far, that will be as far as we get.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Nail-biter. Our spinners were literally murdered.

--------------------

If only.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we have a fifth pace bowler we could put in for Rashid?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

That's what happens. On some pitches slow bowlers are exactly what you need, on others you need more quicks. As far as today's match would Reece Topley have done better than Moeen or Adil Rashid?

What would have helped would have been another bowler able to put it in the blockhole, like Chris Jordan.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Tonight India play Australia with a place in the semis as the prize - could be fun depending on which teams turn up.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Go Afghanistan!

--------------------

If only.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That was a great match, Go Afghanistan indeed!

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Kohli! Kohli! Kohli!

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and look at those figures, two sixes and nine fours in 82 off 51 - that's actually pretty old fashioned scoring, yet way over a run a ball.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Still reeling a bit from last night's result - indeed two amazing games yesterday - very much worth the licence fee for the TV, except there isn't one here.

Today's final Super 10 match between South Africa and Sri Lanka is now quite meaningless but might be entertaining.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

You might not believe it but here in England the first-class season gets underway on Thursday. Yes, that is first-class cricket in March. OK, it's university v county matches but for Pete's sake, cricket in March??
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Fielding might be difficult in wellies, an overcoat and snorkel!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
And .... England almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Sri Lanka. But we won and will now play New Zealand in the semis. And base on what I've seen so far, that will be as far as we get.

But it wasn't! Great win by England, with overs to spare, against a much-favoured New Zealand team.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

But it wasn't! Great win by England, with overs to spare, against a much-favoured New Zealand team.
And on to the final. One of the joys of T20 is that in a one-off anything can happen.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit. I sacrificed a virgin for NZ, and England decided to play. You know how difficult it is to find a virgin these day? Do you???

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not Proper Cricket™, but it can be quite fun.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and tonight's semi-final is India v West Indies - it sounds like fun.

What has happened to England that they have this sudden will to win? Very out of character.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Are New Zealand unlucky? That's two semi-finals they have lost [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

If it was England who'd lost two semi-finals, we'd be calling them bottlers.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

West Indies play England in the final so now the debate is on as to who I shall be shouting for - or for whom I shall be shouting.

It should be a good match.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Turns out they're not a one-man team.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be shouting for the Windies... but I can't find any more sacrificial virgins. They will have to win this on their own.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Windies managed it okay, it was a good match and if Simmons hadn't been out, twice, to no balls it might have been different - but then it might not - I think the toss actually determined the result.

Sunday I shall just enjoy the match, may the best team win.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm sure I'm not the only Shippie cricket fan who can also lip read but it seems to me that all the cricket playing nations have adopted the same expletive for when things go wrong - here, where I live, there are 18 official languages [including English] but still all Indian players scream the same [basically English] word when something goes wrong - so do Pakistanis, Afghans, Sri Lankans and those from other non-English speaking nations.

So, not only did we give the world cricket, but we also passed on the word F**K!!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I'm sure I'm not the only Shippie cricket fan who can also lip read but it seems to me that all the cricket playing nations have adopted the same expletive for when things go wrong - here, where I live, there are 18 official languages [including English] but still all Indian players scream the same [basically English] word when something goes wrong - so do Pakistanis, Afghans, Sri Lankans and those from other non-English speaking nations.

So, not only did we give the world cricket, but we also passed on the word F**K!!

John Emburey, the Middlesex and England off-spinner, has to take some of the credit. He was heard to say "The f***ing f***er's f***ed" during a game. The phrase got into a movie (Reservoir Dogs?).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That sounds so like him! He was quite a star and, of course, played for the finest county in the land!

[Two face]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Nearly time - come on England!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:

West Indies men are going to get such stick from their women's team if they don't do the double!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Ouch!!!! And I thought England had done it. But then came Brathwaite.

A great, competitive, game deserved a dramatic ending, and it got one. Ben Stokes will just not know where to put himself.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That was quite a final over! Well done Carlos Brathwaite and poor Ben Stokes!

West Indies Double Champions!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

West Indies men are going to get such stick from their women's team if they don't do the double!
I'm sure that was in Brathwaite's mind when he faced the final over! Congratulations x 2 to West Indies!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Congratulations times three: They won the U19 men's tournament as well!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An upsurge in WI cricket has to be good for the global game!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Congratulations times three: They won the U19 men's tournament as well!

If they can sort out cricket administration in the Caribbean, just watch out!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016