homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strike that. Aussie will only want to bat once so no point in declaring.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some parallels:

Manchester 1964 - Australia batted for over two days (Simpson completed his 311) and declared on 656 for 8; England with Dexter (174) and Barrington (256) batted out virtually the rest of the match.

Adelaide 2006 - England declared at 551 for 6 on the second day (Collingwood had made 206, Flintoff still batting on 38*; Australia handily avoided the follow-on with 513; England were skittled for 129; Australia cleaned up.

Apart from heroics, (Hanif, Atherton, Laxman), runs are usually best accumulated in the first innings.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. There's an outside chance that Aussie will give England an hour or so tonight, but perhaps even more likely is that they'll wait for the pitch to get more agreeable to Lyons' top spinner.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot depends on the pitch now. If it holds up then the Brits can draw. Aussies still have to take 16 wickets. Dig in lads!
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! A draw is wishful thinking. Our boys will bat for awhile on day 4, and then have most of two days to bowl out England again, probably on a deteriorating pitch.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it wrong to hope for a draw not to save England but to keep the series alive? I want a gripper, none of this over in a blink crap.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. In my wildest dreams I didn't expect a capitulation like that [Yipee]

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

In some ways, it's quite reassuring to have the old England back. A bit like a comfy old sweater that you can feel relaxed in. You know where you stand.

(Somewhere in the middle of a mixed metaphor, I think.)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, time for James Taylor in place of one of the Bs.

Oh, and ouch.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
In some ways, it's quite reassuring to have the old England back. A bit like a comfy old sweater that you can feel relaxed in. You know where you stand.

(Somewhere in the middle of a mixed metaphor, I think.)

I hope that they are as unpredictable as they were in that great first test performance, and make a series of it.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you quite sure you're Australian, DK? [Devil]

I agree with you, but don't tend to associate that sort of sentiment with coming from the antipodes! Mind you, I do remember standing next to a guy in a yellow shirt when Australia played Oxford University at egg chasing and as an Oxford player intercepted the pass on his tryline and set off up the pitch, he was jumping up and down and screaming at him, and cheered when he touched it down. As he said, it was too good a move not to. So perhaps I'm just being unfair?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's Ballance out and Bairstow in. Oz don't have the same top 4 to knock over.

Lyth has a contract too. So hopefully he can relax and look ahead and not over his shoulder.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

South African allrounder Clive Rice out for the final time, aged 66.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
South African allrounder Clive Rice out for the final time, aged 66.

AG

Clive Rice was overshadowed by Richard Hadlee in county cricket but not by cricketers or the regulars at Trent Bridge. Rice could bowl quicker than Hadlee, was as skilful and scored more runs, faster. He hardly missed a catch and captained Notts for years. They loved him in Nottinghamshire and he's a shoo-in for the Heaven XI.

We're losing far too many cricketers too young.

[ 28. July 2015, 14:41: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia are doing a jolly good impression of England here. [Two face]

James Anderson currently has bowling figures of 10-2-22-5 [Big Grin]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Indeed. Anderson is kicking our arses.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Of course, the myriad Mitchells still have to bowl at England on it, that could be interesting.

Edgbaston has sold out four days - if England wickets start to tumble as well, there'll be some worried faces in the boardroom!

AG

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoopee! 136 all out.

Will England collapse even more spectacularly?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Not yet... three behind, three wickets down. Tomorrow's forecast doesn't look very swing-friendly, it could all be jolly interesting...

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Who won the toss?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Clarke

--------------------

----

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Interesting.

I'm travelling for work at the moment, so I'm in a horrific time zone (as far as cricket goes, at least) and working on limited internet access so I haven't been able to follow the game much. So consider that a disclaimer on any opinion I dare to venture. But...

To be bowled out for 130-something in the fourth innings when you're chasing a massive total is one thing. To win the toss, bat, and do the same is something else. So, were Jimmy et al really on form, or did Australia play with Geoffrey's proverbial stick of rhubarb?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pitch has something in it for bowlers but mostly the Australians batted like they were in Australia. Jimmy & co moved it just half or quarter a ball's width and that was enough. Two batsmen were out trying to leave the ball and another bowled playing no shot.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do we reckon? Is Root going to carry on the form of his life today? Can Bairstow carry his domestic form into the Test arena? Or are England going to fold and be all out for 210 shortly after lunch?

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Can Bairstow carry his domestic form into the Test arena?

That'll be a 'no' then.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Johnson takes two in his first over of the day... I sense a thriller!

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Johnson and Lyon are the only two keeping our heads above water.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's edge of the seat stuff, isn't it? Even if England could scrape a lead of 150, just a change in the weather could make the difference...

Holey moley, first 408-9 against the Kiwis, now this, who writes Edgbaston's scripts?

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

*wonders whether he should get clean pants*

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Looks like Finn v Warner at the moment.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

This is England's test, now that Warner is gone. Unlikely that Nevill and Johnson can last much past catching the first innings total, let alone build any kind of lead.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...but Anderson goes off with a side strain - sounds like a bad one (having had one, I can confirm they are horribly painful). Could there still be a twist?

You know what, I very nearly don't care who wins this - it's just been such a - so long as the tension keeps up!

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Prolly doesn't matter, Sandy. Jimmy seems to bowl really well about once a year or so, and that happened in the first innings. It's Finn that is destroying Aus in the second.

--------------------

----

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Bob Willis maintains that Aussie will always prevail in a flat track.
What's the temptation to juice it up and does this wreck the tradition?

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Bob Willis maintains that Aussie will always prevail in a flat track.
What's the temptation to juice it up and does this wreck the tradition?

That helped in 2005. The sole flat track was for the Fifth Test at the Oval, where Warney dropped The Ashes.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Anderson has now been ruled out of the 4th Test.

I'm now imagining the Australian tail will wag, they'll set a target of about 110 and England will be reduced to 95-9. Jimmy will have to come out and hold up an end, hoping that Broad can knock off the final few runs in a nail-biting climax.

However, I still won't get home in time to watch any of the highlights.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Currently considering opening a bottle of champagne. Not to celebrate, for the cork.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
121 should be doable but...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The commentators on Sky are talking like this is all but over. Which will no doubt annoy the sporting gods. Squeaky bum time.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Captain Cook gone. We need every batsman to get 11, not for every partnership to be worth 11.

[ 31. July 2015, 12:54: Message edited by: Sipech ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I don't know what Ian Bell had for lunch but I've never known him start like this, even in limited over cricket.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Maybe they found Mitchell Johnson's meat ration?

He's slowed up a bit now, but he's still there...

AG

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2/106 on day three. Only 15 to go.

*sigh*

Ah well. Two to go! If our batsman can hang in a bit, we should be right.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to see the crowd excited but [Smile]

[ 31. July 2015, 14:44: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

*does a little dance*
[Big Grin] [Angel] [Axe murder] [Yipee]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Never in doubt. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Hardly a stutter. Woohoo!

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully more than a three dayer! TV is atrocious in Straya.

[Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

TV's no better here - audience figures are a fraction of that in 2005 because it's on Sky.

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016