homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I have fond memories of watching them in their heyday and it was almost impossible not to like them - and great to see Curtley Ambrose there last night shouting along with the best!

p.s. what were the names of the brothers who played for the side for a while? My memory sort of thinks Benjamin brothers but I can't be certain. Anybody got a better memory than me?

[ 04. April 2016, 12:48: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes, I have fond memories of watching them in their heyday and it was almost impossible not to like them - and great to see Curtley Ambrose there last night shouting along with the best!

p.s. what were the names of the brothers who played for the side for a while? My memory sort of thinks Benjamin brothers but I can't be certain. Anybody got a better memory than me?

At about that time Winston and Kenny Benjamin played for the West Indies, but they, and Joey Benjamin who played for England were unrelated.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Sioni, you're a star!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been very much enjoying the IPL, and particularly the Virat Kohli- A B de Villiers show for RCB. The match against the Gujarat Lions contained the most spectacular batting partnership I've ever seen (both players getting centuries, two consecutive overs going for 30 runs, a partnership of over 200, all in 20 overs).

Anyone else been watching?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh yes, indeed I have, there's been some good stuff, I agree re Kohli & de Villiers. I think de Villiers is possibly the finest in the world at the moment. As CSK are sitting it out for 2 years I chose to support RCB and after a poor start they seem to be doing a bit better. Our young neighbour V chose to support Gujarat so was not amused by Saturday's result.

Ah well, it's only a game.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kohli at it again. A century partnership with Chris Gayle, another century for himself (this time off 47 balls) and RCB score 211 in an innings limited to 15 overs. Spectacular batting - not limited over slogging. And apparently he had stitches in his hand from an injury. Looking forward to his next visit to the UK!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England v Sri Lanka - it's the 1990s all over again! [Help]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, quite nostalgic, England 50-3, and then 130-5, they always seem to end up at those scores.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck me, that's not like the 1990s though! England score less than 300, and enforce the follow-on, can't have happened many times.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Fuck me, that's not like the 1990s though! England score less than 300, and enforce the follow-on, can't have happened many times.

AG

And just when you think Jimmy can't do it any more, he takes a Michelle. Mind you it's the first test, and at Headingley, so he probably won't do it again.

Truly great knock by Bairstow. One of the very best.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Headingly can be a tough place to bat when the conditions are right for swing bowlers. Which made Bairstow's batting all the more remarkable. And credit to Hales as well.

Anderson is a great bowler, approaching the end of a great international career. Yesterday showed that he can still make the most of favourable conditions, and can have lethal spells. He's still very good to watch in those spells. A real master craftsmen, IMO the best we've had. Probably not for much longer but let's make the most of him while he can still turn it on.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm with you on Anderson, but I'm biased as I'm from Lancashire too. I sometimes wonder how many wickets he would have taken had Troy Cooley (and possibly others) not buggered about with his action which took him out of the game for the 2005 and 2006 seasons in England. He'd be on about 500 by now.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

And he got another five-for (I quite like "Michelle") and bowled very well again. I don't think too many of the Sri Lanka team had played in conditions like that before, but the bowler still has to take advantage of that.

Next stop Chester-le-Street (which was where I was born!). Lovely ground, the Riverside ground, and in a good setting. Overlooked by the lovely Lumley Castle. Hope the weather is is kind.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Woo - 8-0-2-38, not bad considering I was bowling very slowly at a good player at the death (got the bugger too!).

I now have 98 wickets for the team (77 since 2012), and four matches in four days on tour coming up next weekend... surely that century will turn up?

AG

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Back to the IPL. Kohli continued his stellar season with a quite wonderful running catch at a vital time. Then led RCB to a vital victory with an excellent unbeaten half century. He's now amassed over 900 runs this year and with at least two more innings in the play offs looks well on course to top 1000 runs. Not sure anyone thought that was possible in a single IPL season. Apart from Kohli that is. He's taken T20 batting to a different level and it's been breathtaking to watch.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

RCB recover from 29 for 5 to win and make the IPL final. A B de Villiers saves the day with a great knock on a difficult pitch. Some weird umpiring decisions added to the tension; another really great game to watch. I am now officially a fan of the IPL!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

ABdV was brilliant last night, great match to watch and I agree that Umpire Chaudhary seemed to have been smoking something odd before going on the pitch but both teams suffered for it so it was sort-of fair - hopefully he will not umpire the final, which could still be between these two teams.

Tonight KKR vs SRH with, I think, the odds slightly in favour of SRH; or is that a geographical bias?

But wasn't Kulkarni's bowling fabulous to watch?

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My poor Leicestershire.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
My poor Leicestershire.

As a proud Worcestershire nationalist, perhaps a better way of looking at it is more that the Pears were outstanding in the second innings with the ball, rather than Leicestershire being that bad.

Joe Leach finished with match figures of 9-109*, and Matt Henry has taken 19 wickets in 4 matches.

*Ok, it's not quite 19-90 but it's good.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's very kind. But three runouts!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

But wasn't Kulkarni's bowling fabulous to watch?

Absolutely. In any other game, it would have been a match-winning spell. But that's ABdV for you. And yes, the final could do without the umpire wild card!

KKR v SRH is too close to call for me. Nor do I think whoever wins will beat GL, so I'm reckoning on RCB v GL again in the final. And .... we've got grandchildren visiting! So it's going on the recorder and I'll try to avoid the news!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

SRH, then, more easily than I thought. Mustafizur is a star in T20; remarkable maturity for a 20 year old, excellent "death" bowler. But I reckon GL will beat them.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We had a violent thunderstorm at the start of the second innings which blocked the satellite signal and lasted long enough to send me off to bed [10 p.m. here] so I only got the result this morning.

Mustafizur is a great prospect for Bangladesh for the future, great bowler.

I also want a GL v. RCB final - but the same result, please!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decent day for England in what looked like quite bowler-friendly conditions. Hope that swing is still there when we get a go in the field. [Two face]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
...But I reckon GL will beat them.

You might have to get your reckoning recalibrated...
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Decent day for England in what looked like quite bowler-friendly conditions. Hope that swing is still there when we get a go in the field. [Two face]

Predictions are dangerous but on a grey day at Chester-le-Street 310-6 must be worth 400. People got runs but even Joe Root (who has been able to bat with the proverbial stick'o'rhubarb for the last two years) never looked completely at ease.

The forecast for Saturday is for sunshine later.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
...But I reckon GL will beat them.

You might have to get your reckoning recalibrated...
Me and WW. In another brilliant and competitive match, David Warner did for SRH what A B deVillers did for RCB i.e. managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, with excellent help from the no 8 (B Sharma, this time who was as good a support as Abdulla was for ABdV).

The final could so easily have been between different teams. I'm hoping it lives up to what has gone before.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

With so much limited overs cricket and batting in first-class matches resembling that in limited overs cricket, I'm not sure the title of this thread is accurate nowadays.

Poor* Sri Lanka will have to pull their socks up if the current test match is to go into the day 4, let alone day 5. So far they have scored 301/28.

*And they were today. Catching, fielding, captaincy and batting were all poor. How the bowlers kept going is a mystery.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...So far they have scored 301/28...

[Eek!]

ESPNcricinfo.com gives me 91/8 in 40 overs but then Sri Lanka are attempting to play the game in the British equivalent of the Arctic Circle.

We are all geared up for tonight's IPL final and are rather hoping that a thunderstorm doesn't trundle its way in and bugger up the satellite signal - it's not the same watching the score mount on my phone!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

What happens if there is a rain delay in the final? Is there provision for an extra day, rather than reduced overs or the dreaded Duckworth Lewis rules. It would seem a shame to spoil the final.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

There is an extra day [tomorrow] just in case and if it can't be finished then I think there can be a Super Over Tuesday and if even that isn't possible then RCB get it as they scored better in the league bit.

I think.

Judging by the weather here the last few weeks rain could well play a part BUT Bangalore is a long way away and 3000 feet higher than here.

[ 29. May 2016, 06:57: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...So far they have scored 301/28...

[Eek!]

ESPNcricinfo.com gives me 91/8 in 40 overs but then Sri Lanka are attempting to play the game in the British equivalent of the Arctic Circle.

That was the cumulative total for almost 3 innings. They now stand on a far more respectable 534/35 in the middle of their second innings of the second test. That's about 15 runs per wicket, but I reckon the loss of some truly great batsmen (Sangakkara, Jayawardene) has affected Sri Lanka more than the weather.

As for the "Arctic Circle", howabout holding tests when it isn't 110F in the shade? Puts the English chaps at a disadvantage what?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Close IPL final. In the end, the Sunrisers' death bowlers bowled better than the Royal Challengers' did and that made the difference.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, it was a good close match, shame about the result!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Shane Watson's last over was dreadful; should think he'll have the same sort of nightmares about Cutting which Ben Stokes has about Brathwaite taking him apart.

But it was close. Two more sixes from Chris Gayle or Virat Kohli and RCB would have finally won a final!

But a really great competition and a fine final to end it. Roll on next year!

Now, on the Test Match. For the first time, Sri Lanka are batting like they really mean it and with uncertain weather over the next couple of days, you never know ...

Still odds on England, of course.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Congratulations to Sri Lanka for making a fight of it. The series is gone but with the points system including five ODIs at two points they have hope if they can hold or beat England in the Third Test starting at Lord's a week on Thursday.

Congratulations too to Jimmy Anderson. He was the go-to man in a long innings and despite two dropped catches still took five wickets and for the first time is rated number one test match bowler!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The third test has become interesting. England bowled well today, then the top order batted badly again. But for two dropped catches, Sri Lanka might well have been favourites for a turnaround win.

Bad weather forecast for tomorrow.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a lead of 250ish would make a very entertaining fourth innings, but probably 300 would be too many for Sri Lanka.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

This might not be available outside the UK but what an amazing catch!

Despite that, England won so that's the ODI series against Sri Lanka to go with the Tests (and the rugby v Australia but not the football against ???).

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Back to depressing normality as England's batsmen show a lack of patience against all bowling to lose a low scoring match in four days. Losing wickets to a decent leg-spinner is one thing but when your top three all go for low scores to a pretty so-so bowler in Rahat Ali you will lose a Test match.

Please guys, keep the batting dull and the bowling tight. Oh, and hold catches.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Pakistan were staring down the barrel at 303/3...

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Meanwhile Virat Kohli scores a maiden double ton in Antigua - West Indies will struggle to follow on after that, I think.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorry - I meant [but failed to type] - West Indies will do well to avoid the follow-on after that!

DUH!!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Definitely England's day today. Yasir Shah overbowled because Pakistan are a bowler short and, like England at Lord's, they couldn't hold their catches.

When Pakistan batted they lost four men "tired out".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I think that's being a bit harsh on England Sioni. I thought they batted very well (Root in particular) and when they came out to bowl they were firey and put the ball in the right place and got it to move a bit. So it was as much them playing well as Pakistan having an unbalanced attack and getting tired.

And those last two overs when there were eight fielders plus keeper and bowler within 20 yards of the bat were brilliant. Proper cricket. You don't see that in Twenty20!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody know why the follow-on is often not enforced these days? Maybe the bowlers are tired, but you would think that 400 ahead would put a spring in their step.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's now the following morning and I'm still trying to work out why he didn't enforce the follow-on, it was so much the obvious thing to do whilst the opposition were down and demoralised.

eta: Meanwhile India record their first ever innings defeat of West Indies in the Caribbean. Kohli had enforced the follow-on.

[ 25. July 2016, 04:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I can think of a few reasons for not enforcing the follow on: If a side has already bowled 40 overs in a day the bowlers may want a break; the team may not want to bat last on a wearing pitch, as Pakistan could have batted from tea on day 3 to the middle of day five leaving a nasty target of, say, 200 in 50 overs, or maybe they were aware of Ben Stokes' injury and hope it would clear up overnight.

eta: after conceding 173 at nearly 6 an over, I expect Misbah and his team are even more demoralised. A couple of hours chasing the ball knowing that your target is getting further and further out of reach must be very dispiriting.

[ 25. July 2016, 22:53: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England with a massive victory, but even though not enforcing the follow-on worked, I still think it was a mistake, if only because the Manchester weather might have intervened. And although Pakistan could have batted for 2 days, scored 500 and left a target of 200, realistically how likely is it?

In the end, the main impact may be on the morale of the Pakistan bowlers, particularly Yasir Shah. Who would have put odds on him taking just 1 wicket in the match for plenty, and being outbowled by Moeen Ali?

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An embarrassment of riches this week as, with two Tests over, Australia are now playing Sri Lanka and today New Zealand will be taking on Zimbabwe. What a shame there isn't a Bangladesh v. South Africa series going on somewhere then all the Test nations* would be playing at one and the same time!

*Yes, I know, 9 nations and one geographical aglomeration but...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016