homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to love Wikipedia. Here is a list of US state capitals. If you want to know the populations you have to click further.

I'm going for Phoenix, Arizona, which is claimed to be the 6th largest city in the US, at 1,321,045, which surprised me. I think we should be careful not to confuse the population of the city with the size of the metropolitan statistical area, which is a lot bigger.

JtW

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhode Island. Capital: Providence is the largest city in R.I., population: 175,901

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall pick (surprise!) Florida. The capital is Tallahassee, and the population is 156,512, unless you want the metro area, then that population is about 255,500.

The name Florida means "flowery", or as I was taught, "land of flowers". (We have lots of them.) Tallahassee is a Muskogean Indian word (a language of the Seminole tribe) often translated as "old fields," or "old town."

If you would travel to Tallahassee from my house, you'd have to drive more than seven hours, 395 miles...a fer piece.

If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to tell you all about the wonderful State which I call home! [Big Grin]

Y'all come down now, y'hear?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Rock, Arkansas Pop 183,133 (Plus or minus a bit)

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had to go for the State of Georgia, whose capital city had a population of 425,000 when they last counted, though I'm sure they missed one or two. It's been known as the Pheonix city and "the city too busy to hate" as well as "The New York of the South". In 2004 it was dubbed the third most dangerous city in America!!! [Eek!]

For all that, it's named after a special person I know

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
California. It's huge, must be OK from an avoiding-the-average kind of view. Hey, wouldn't that make a good name for a film?

ing soon to a cinema near you: Avoiding The Average, starring...

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
taking city populations rather than metro areas, i figure the average at the moment is 386,165, which is pretty close to the population in Honolulu.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it's the only one I've been to, I'll pick Colorado, which has capital Denver, pop 554,636. However, the metropolitan area has pop 2,179,240 (both from wikipedia).

[NB - QM asked for the state, not the capital. I was giving the population to make life easier for him, as I imagine others were too.]

ETA - Denver is of course known as the Mile High City, for obvious reasons. I imagine that would mean the Mile High club is quite easy to join there! I remember when we went up into the mountains there were shops selling "two mile high ice cream cones" and so on...

[ 26. September 2005, 08:51: Message edited by: Custard. ]

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
California. It's huge, must be OK from an avoiding-the-average kind of view.

Except that the capital, Sacramento, is comparatively small with a population of 407,018 (1,796,857 in metropolitan area)...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Custard's city population of 554636 has taken the average to just under 405,000 - dangerously close to the city population of Sacremento. [Eek!]

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for Delaware - in 1965: On May 21, a "Delaware Closed Today" sign is posted at a barricade on the Delaware-Pennsylvania line on Ebright Road. "The people of Delaware are doing something about the population explosion," is the explanation from "Candid Camera.".

From the 2000 census, the population of Dover was only 32,135.

[Edited duff link]

[ 26. September 2005, 20:37: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My choice is Alabama, home of Nat King Cole. The capital city is the second largest, Montgomery, with a population of 201,568.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maryland

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I shall choose Vermont
its capital city, Montpelier, has a city poluplation of just 8,035 according to that website.

which bring the running average down to just over 300,000

[ 26. September 2005, 10:50: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New York.

The capital city has a population of 95,658. In case no-one guessed, it ain't NYC [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will have Texas whose capital Austin had a population of 681,804 in the 2004 census. As the average at the moment seems to be going down I am hoping that big is beautiful.

In 2024 there will be a total solar eclipse. Book your hotel now.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since my current home state was stolen by Pants, I'll go with my birth/growing up state of Pennsylvania. The capitol is Harrisburg.

Population: 48,950

Good luck, all. [Smile]

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll choose my home state, Missouri, whose capital city, Jefferson City, has a booming population of 39,636.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

well, the average is now at 281,000, so Alabama is now closest.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
Since my current home state was stolen by Pants, ...

So sorry [Razz] [Biased]

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll choose Wyoming.

Capitol is Cheyenne, population 55 362, which started as a tent camp for railroad workers.

I might comment, however, on the population of Honolulu, given that I had chosen it in the practice round as a city with a population over 500 000. We, of course, should be using the population of the official political entity, rather than the general metropolitan area as is sometimes done in common usage. In the coase of Honolulu, the smallest political subdivision is the City and County of Honolulu, as represented by the Mayor of Honolulu and the Honolulu City Council. This has a population of 876 156 and includes all of the island of Oahu plus some surrounding islands. (A good candidate for the city with the largest area: over 5500 square km, of which over 70% is water.)

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The capital of Michigan is Lansing (population 118,379 in 2003) which is not to be confused with the village of Lansing:
quote:
Village (1990 pop. 28,086), Cook co., NE Ill., a suburb of Chicago, near the Ind. line.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
I might comment, however, on the population of Honolulu, given that I had chosen it in the practice round as a city with a population over 500 000. We, of course, should be using the population of the official political entity, rather than the general metropolitan area as is sometimes done in common usage. In the coase of Honolulu, the smallest political subdivision is the City and County of Honolulu, as represented by the Mayor of Honolulu and the Honolulu City Council. This has a population of 876 156 and includes all of the island of Oahu plus some surrounding islands. (A good candidate for the city with the largest area: over 5500 square km, of which over 70% is water.)

Thank you for the info. I guess I shall have to wait and see whether anyone forgets to post and whether it matters about the populations size. [Ultra confused]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey Jane:
Thank you for the info. I guess I shall have to wait and see whether anyone forgets to post and whether it matters about the populations size. [Ultra confused]

Actually it works for both of us. It increases the population of your city much more than it raises the average, giving you a pretty safe large number. And it raises the average even more to keep it above those of us with lower numbers.

Glad to be of assistance.

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
I got that too - flashed several odd pages with the same message so shut everything down sharpish! Hope computer is ok... [Frown]

Amorya has now taken the tour site down to fix it.

I'm sure that when it is back online someone will post saying it is back.

Tom

It seems to be working fine now.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall go for The Commonwealth of Massachusetts whose capital (Boston) had a population of 589,141 in 2000. For those who are interested (anyone?) the Greater Boston metropolitan area has a population of approx 5.8 million. Which is nice.

(BTW note the full title of the state pedantry fans. Oh yes - its a commonwealth. Don't know what it means, don't particularly care, but score one up for pedantic observation!)

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make the current average 282,473. Which means jedijudy is in trouble.

In fact, having run some simulations it would take no more than two more cities with a combined population not less than 1,500,000 to save her. If there are more than two more cities their combined population required to save her rises (eg to 1,900,000 for three cities).

It would take at least five cities with a population of zero to lower the average enough to keep her in the game [Eek!] . So I think anyone with a lower population than jj is as safe as it's possible to be in this round [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

only if you take Tallahassee's metro area.
jj said the city population was only 156,512 - nowhere near that average.

If HazeyJane's entry is as she says, 390,000 then the average is around 277,000 but if it is increased like Carex suggests, then the average is 301,800.

either way, Alabama is on shaky ground, so to speak.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics [Biased] [Razz]

I'll get me coat...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Some people have too much time on their hands. [Biased]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

what, you mean I'm the ony one with an excel® spreadsheet keeping track of everyone's entry ?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Er. Hm. *cough*

No, you're not.

*shuffles feet*

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you both please get out more!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Would you both please get out more!!

John 6:68a [Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I'm at w*rk !!

If I got out more i'd be out permanently...

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall have Baton Rouge, Louisiana . the population is 227,818 according to Wikipedia (thanks for the link, Jonah). That sounds scarily close to the average, but why not live dangerously, eh? It might be quite an honour to be the first one knocked (as opposed to defaulted) out!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oklahoma with the oh so original capital of Oklahoma City . Population of OKC is according to 2000 census 506,000 or 2002 estimate 519,000.

Populations are rounded to the nearest thousand if you wish more exact click the link.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Papa Smurf! [Big Grin] (My hero!)

And Marvin...thanks for scaring me! [Razz]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it turns out that I'm nearest the average, can I claim that Baton Rouge's current population is actually much higher, on account of all those Katrina refugees?

Just covering all bases here ... [Smile]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is still a chance to escape.

There is still a chance to post.

We will go with the next round tomorrow.

Get those calculators out.

Now, without looking or checking I shall choose

IOWA

How did I do people? [Confused]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Des Moines is the capital, Quizzy, but I expect you knew that. Its population in 2000 was 198682. This is close to the average, but I think you might just make it.

JtW.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take Kansas (because it was the only free one I could think of off the top of my head).

Wikipedia sez: Capital is Topeka (which I believe is home to Fred Phelps, everyone's favourite bigot). Population: 122,377

Paul W
Ooo, 1900th post. How nice.

[ 28. September 2005, 01:22: Message edited by: Paul W. ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ALSO-RAN TABLE

Sharkshooter - 6 valid answers.

Is there anyone out there who can take him on? [Cool]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Brinkmanship (or brinkspersonship) points to Moth, I think, for coming in so close to the average.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I make the current average 275,764. That's using the higher of rugasaw's two answers.

Moth is toast unless there's someone who hasn't posted yet.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
And Marvin...thanks for scaring me! [Razz]

[Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok last minute entry... thank you for the wikepedia link.

I am going to go for Columbus Ohio. I could not see that anyone else had posted that. With a population of 711,470 that should up the average a bit. [Razz]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
With a population of 711,470 that should up the average a bit. [Razz]

The average has been upped by about 18,000 to 293,192. Moth is still closest by a long way...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Columbus, Ohio.

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note to self...always scroll through before posting....

I am a very bad netizen,lol....

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all make that mistake now and then.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016