homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried those things and it didn't help. Off to get V3.0 [I've been using V2.0.0.14] Thanks for the advice!
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Although I'm an IT geek (just passed an exam to prove it this morning as well! [Big Grin] ) I can't help my Mum on this one. She has XP and broadband, and wants to be able to send a fax from her PC.... Anyone know any good utilities for this? I can virtualise a server but can't send a fax... [Hot and Hormonal] ....

You could always get her to subscribe to a service such as
This... fax gateway. She sends a PDF via email - fax is derived

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who suffers from a bit of RSI in my hands I'm always looking for keyboard shortcuts instead of using the mouse. I've found the one for moving backwards a page when internet surfing (backspace) but is there one for moving forward again after you've gone back? Seems to me that there should be one but I haven't found it yet and I don't like having to take my hand off the keyboard and use the mouse every time for that action.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This recommendation also works with Firefox.

Jengie

[eta] and here are even more [/eta]

[ 29. June 2008, 18:18: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Instant Message help wanted

I have Yahoo! instant messenger, and now have a problem. After chatting normally for maybe 20 minutes, the person on the other end says, "Aren't you going to answer? Is something wrong? " or similar. Then I type, "I AM typing & talking; can't you see my posts?" Then the other person says something like, "Well, I guess you've gone away. Maybe we can talk tomorrow. Bye."

From my end, everything looks fine. I see both sides of the convo. This happens now every time we chat. [I only have 1 person I IM like this, so I don't know if its just her/me, or a bigger problem.]

About a month ago I got Vista windows. Should I try to uninstall yahoo IM & reinstall? or dump it & get some other kind of IM ?

Invisible Pearl

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
As someone who suffers from a bit of RSI in my hands I'm always looking for keyboard shortcuts instead of using the mouse. I've found the one for moving backwards a page when internet surfing (backspace) but is there one for moving forward again after you've gone back?

I've generally used Alt and the cursor keys for this. (Far too many things are mouse-driven.)

On another question entirely, if I want to keep my anti-virus software, which has just launched a new release, apparently I have to upgrade my operating system to Windows Service Pack 2. I'm currently on Windows SP1. I've never upgraded an operating system, and feel nervous about doing so. How risky is this?

Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has its difficulties, doing a service pack, but it is fairly infrequent that there's major problems. First, assuming you're using system restore, make sure you set a restore point, something an upgrade to SP2 or 3 should do automatically if you have it switched on. I don't use system restore myself, but that's just me.

Make sure to get a full downloaded version for redistribution (about a 300+ MB download for SP3) and do the update from that. Don't do the on-line one-- if your connection gets interrupted, there could be problems. If you have SP1, don't bother with two-- just get SP3. I have installed 3 with no problems.

I'm guessing you have AVG-- I'm still getting updates on my SP1 machines even though I'm still using v.7.5 and not 8 (8 is on this laptop I'm writing on).

If you have a fairly standard mainstream machine, I don't think you'll have problems with a service pack update.

--------------------
member, Our Ladye of the Bandwidthe and All Angels

Posts: 1035 | From: Gulf Coast, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With all due respect, I still have SP2, as have most businesses I know. And for the time being I shall stick to it, as there appear to be a number of bugs and incompatible software issues. This just from my own XP-ierence.

Glad if it works for you, Lumpy. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Instant Message help wanted [...]

About a month ago I got Vista windows. Should I try to uninstall yahoo IM & reinstall? or dump it & get some other kind of IM ?

Invisible Pearl

I'm afraid I can't help you there, Pearl, as I don't do IM. (Except Skype, and that only rarely.)

Uninstalling and reinstalling sounds worth a try. Have you got Yahoo! Messenger version 8.1? (Info here.) - This looks like the latest stable version for XP as well as Vista.

Try to get someone else to sign up and to experiment the IM with you and perhaps check by phone if it works.

There should also be an FAQ section somewhere which you could check, or alternatively google (take this, Yahoo! [Biased] ) with e.g. 'Yahoo IM' and 'problem'.

Hope you'll find your way around. - Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can help here? Ta. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Re the latest Microsoft Security Update of 8 July 2008, KB951748, described in 'Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-037 – Important'.

This vulnerability has also been published in the media, e.g. on BBC News. The update is for Win 2000 SP4, XP SP2 and SP3, however not needed for Vista.

After installing the MS patch, I lost all access to internet both via broadband and dial-up, on different browsers (Firefox 3.0, IE7) and machines. I had to uninstall it again via add/remove programmes, and internet is back now. Phew!

Anyone else experienced this? Found a workaround? Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any comment on this issue from MS, here. [Paranoid]

Just curious. [Smile]

[ 09. July 2008, 08:07: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ok, seems to be an issue with Zone Alarm firewall. - Hm. We'll see what they come up with. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only issue I have seen with XP SP3 is that windows updates can stop working properly (most noticeably with Office updates). However, a simple re-register of the important DLL's is often enough.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley J

What sometimes happens is that ZoneALarm looses all its internet access rights. Resetting these to Firefox and such works wonders.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
What sometimes happens is that ZoneALarm looses all its internet access rights. Resetting these to Firefox and such works wonders

I've given up on the free version of Zone Alarm as it's too restrictive for certain programs that I run (including but not limited to file sharing).

I was recommended to try COMODO Firewall, which is also free and much more flexible. Unlike ZA you can open specific ports and provide precise access rights for programs.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Ok, seems to be an issue with Zone Alarm firewall. - Hm. We'll see what they come up with. [Disappointed]

Thanks for the heads up; I read this yesterday so when I couldn't access the internet this morning I was ready.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

Thanks for the heads up; I read this yesterday so when I couldn't access the internet this morning I was ready.
Which was my intention. Glad to be of some assistance, kind Sir. <bows>

The problem's now been solved, with Zonelabs issuing a ZoneAlarm upgrade, see (and download from) here.

I've now upgraded all machines with (in my case) free ZoneAlarm v.7.0.483.000, and also downloaded the infamous MS patch KB951748 again, and all's working ok now. So, problem solved.

(I seems this has caused quite a stir on the web, in fact, with people resorting to steam-driven computers and means of accessing the net!)

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My DH's pc got internet blocked yesterday and he had to resort to our daughter's *nix machine to find out what the problem was. He told me and I noted down the KB number. When I was on my machine, Windows popped up with some updates and I noticed that one amongst them and unchecked it.

Today, I switched on my pc and guess what - no internet. I checked the installed updates and, blow me down, Micro$oft had installed that KB fix behind my back and against my express orders!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just resurrected a spare old computer lying around, basically for Internet browsing for visiting guests.

I have reinstalled XP on half of it, but it won't download upgrades (such as SP 4, which I apparently need to make the free version of AVG anvirus work). Can anyone help here?

On the other half, I've installed Ubuntu. (My idea is that failing proper antivirus protection with XP, I'll just run the thing on Linux to browse the internet). Rather than have people trip over my Ethernet cable, I have a Belkin USB plug-in wifi antenna which works fine with XP but I have no idea how to make it work with Linux. Any suggestions/workarounds?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As someone who suffers from a bit of RSI in my hands I'm always looking for keyboard shortcuts instead of using the mouse.

Sparrow, have you ever tried voice-to-text software? How useful it is depends a lot on what you do, but I find it a life- (or at least wrist-) saver. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I have a Belkin USB plug-in wifi antenna which works fine with XP but I have no idea how to make it work with Linux. Any suggestions/workarounds?

Start by finding out what the thing actually is. Run 'lsusb' from a command prompt and you should be able to identify the chipset. Google from there.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
As someone who suffers from a bit of RSI in my hands I'm always looking for keyboard shortcuts instead of using the mouse.

Sparrow, have you ever tried voice-to-text software? How useful it is depends a lot on what you do, but I find it a life- (or at least wrist-) saver. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking.
Thanks - yes I know about Dragon etc, but I don't really need anything so drastic. At home I limit my PC use and spread it out so I'm not using the mouse for hours on end.

At work however, I sit right next to two other people and I think voice to text might disturb them too much. I try to plan my work so I take lots of breaks from the PC and do other things, and I have an ergonomic keyboard. I've had the problem for some years now but it hasn't got any worse since I started taking these measures.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Any bright person here got an idea about what may be up. I fell foul of the ZoneAlarm Microsoft problem. I should be back up and sometimes am but not regularly, so something other than the patch must be messing things up! Any idea?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Any bright person here got an idea about what may be up. I fell foul of the ZoneAlarm Microsoft problem. I should be back up and sometimes am but not regularly, so something other than the patch must be messing things up! Any idea?

I'm guessing that you have to:
deinstall the Windows update
install the patch issued by Zone Alarm
reinstall the Windows update
make sure the Windows firewall is off

AFAIK, the Windows security update is actually a good idea (randomises the DNS to fox an incoming attack), so is worth having. But probably not at the expense of not having a firewall.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Done that several times over. This happens regardless of the patch being installed (its uninstalled at present and I could not get on at home before I came to work) and I have upgraded the ZoneAlarm.

Actually I suspect it is a modem problem so am going to try a fix I seem to remember from installing it.

Jengie

[ 14. July 2008, 15:36: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably a bit too techy for here, but I don't suppose if anyone knows if there are any patched RPM's for bind 9.4.2 suitable for FC7? Its either that or I try compiling one, or see if can get away with nicking one from CentOS 5 (same paths for everything so *should* work).
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Done that several times over. This happens regardless of the patch being installed (its uninstalled at present and I could not get on at home before I came to work) and I have upgraded the ZoneAlarm.

Actually I suspect it is a modem problem so am going to try a fix I seem to remember from installing it.

[Frown] Hard lines. It would be a bit of a coincidence if the modem started playing up just as the Windows/Zone Alarm conflict happened. Have you rolled back to a System Restore point, or used the Windows de-installer? If you have a good System Restore point, it might be better to use that...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Do you want the full list.

One computer totally un-usable suspect corrupt hard drive, due to whirring sound. Unfortunately this means I am without printing at home.

Palm decided to blank screen until I reset it. Fortunately that worked.

Oh computer at work decided it did not like the network as well. However they assure me that it wasn't me who upset the main login server.

However I know at one stage a program while trying to sort things did a reset on the modem so am suspicious of that.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Well progress is being made. I changed my modem for el cheapo that came with the Broadband package. Guess what it works. Now just to sort out the way forward.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Microsoft keeps offering me a Malicious Software Removal Tool. I'm suspicious of giving MS access to my software (hey, I like Linux...). Am I too paranoid? Is there any Rumoured Risk about this thing?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Are you sure it's from Microsoft? One of the Eutychites got something like this as a popup on a Vista machine, but it didn't match what the existing security installation was telling me.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be very careful, even if it really is from MS. Mr. Otter's work laptop ended up with a Windows update that included some kind of anti-malware software that he did not want or need. It scanned the computer, claimed to have found a virus or somesuch, then asked if he'd like to pay to register the software so it could remove the whatever - and made the computer pretty much a paperweight in the process. IIRC the software had Vista in the name (this computer is running XP).

I asked him to please not throw the laptop across the room as he was threatening (this happened Friday night, IIRC), as I really didn't want to pay for the laptop. And then I prescribed dark chocolate for Mr. Otter.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows update produces a perfectly genuine malicious software removal tool every month mainly to check for recent worms and viruses. I have never had any problem with it, as it has never found anything.

I think it is probably wise to accept it if any only if it comes up as an option when you are doing a proper Windows update.

[ETA] Otter, if something appeared asking you to pay for registration that sounds more like spyware or a virus than anything genuine from Windows.

[ 16. July 2008, 15:10: Message edited by: leonato ]

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leonato:
[ETA] Otter, if something appeared asking you to pay for registration that sounds more like spyware or a virus than anything genuine from Windows.

It could be, although the non-MS anti-malware software that was already installed on the machine didn't twig to it. Not proof of course, but Mr. Otter does have a good track record, and MS . . . less so, IMO. In any case, he and the network admin have beaten the problem into a semi-comatose state

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! I've lost my icon!

No, this isn't a question for Ecclesiantics. I've always had an Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar at the bottom of my screen. I apparently clicked on something I shouldn't have, and *poof* -- it's gone. How do I get it back there? (I still have one on my desktop, but I like to have one I can click on when other windows are open.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
Microsoft keeps offering me a Malicious Software Removal Tool. I'm suspicious of giving MS access to my software (hey, I like Linux...). Am I too paranoid? Is there any Rumoured Risk about this thing?

No, there are not rumoured risks, there are real big risks.

For example I spent over three hours at a neighbour's house on Saturday on his computer getting rid of a thing calling itself "XP Antivirus" which is deliberately faked to look like a Microsoft program and lies to you about non-existent viruses on your computer to try to get you to give them money.

It is itself a virus. It is a complete scam. If you hit its "uninstall" button it reinstalls itself under a different name and puts its software in a different directory on your disk. It takes over your Windows wallpaper. It starts automatically when you reboot.

No honest company sells anything through spam. If they try to sell you stuff through it is unsolicited email or pop-ups and redirections on other people's websites and most especially through installing unwanted adware on your computer tehn you know they are up to no good.

Such spam is 100% evidence that someone is out to cheat you. NEVER reply to them, never follow their links, never pay them any money at all for anything.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigwidgeon - If you're showing the 'Quick Launch' toolbar, right mouse button drag the Internet Explorer icon from the desktop to the 'Quick Launch' toolbar (normally just next to the start button) and when you release choose 'create shortcut' or 'copy'. If you're not showing it, show it (right-click on the task bar, select 'toolbars', and click on 'quick start'). If you're showing it, but it's been resized too small to show an icons, resize it bigger, then lock the taskbar (right click on taskbar again). Or something else might have happened.

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Help! I've lost my icon!

It's a sign from above. Repent of your former Microsoft ways and embrace Firefox like you would a long-lost lover. [Angel]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Machine Elf!
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
It's a sign from above. Repent of your former Microsoft ways and embrace Firefox like you would a long-lost lover. [Angel]

I just knew someone would suggest that. But Machine Elf's suggestion worked, so I'm a happy camper. [Yipee]

--------------------
~Tortuf

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:

No, there are not rumoured risks, there are real big risks.

For example I spent over three hours at a neighbour's house on Saturday on his computer getting rid of a thing calling itself "XP Antivirus" which is deliberately faked to look like a Microsoft program and lies to you about non-existent viruses on your computer to try to get you to give them money.

It is itself a virus. It is a complete scam. 8<.....

yep - it's a pig that one. A trojan pig. I fell for an attachment that could easily have been valid, and after I'd opened the file (something I tell everyone else not to do!!! but my excuse is that a message from the alleged sender was quite likely) I had a suspicion I might have been caught, and so I did a search for the product on offer, and found various websites offering help. Then I spent a big part of Saturday removing it. I am glad that I didn't use the uninstall option - I didn't know that it might cause yet further problems.

However.....

just now I went to use that PC and when I select a user it starts to login then says saving settings and I'm back at the screen with the accounts to select. Regardless of the account I select it does the same - starts the login then says saving settings and then logs out without ever getting to the desktop screen. I'm sure I used that PC earlier this week with no problems.

I suspect I got rid of something that I shouldn't have - I hope that the "help" I used wasn't itself a virus of sorts.

Thankfully I have an alternative PC available to me, so I've done a search and can't find any help there - so does anyone have a suggestion? Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) I go on shore-leave for a week at 8am tomorrow, so probably won't be able to try anything before I go, but will be keen to fix it when I get back.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
This is probably a bit too techy for here, but I don't suppose if anyone knows if there are any patched RPM's for bind 9.4.2 suitable for FC7? Its either that or I try compiling one, or see if can get away with nicking one from CentOS 5 (same paths for everything so *should* work).

Have a shufti at this set of fedora patches.

FD (.debs rule [Biased] )

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My antique desktop machine has suddenly developed a modem problem (yes, I still have dial-up). It dials and connects, but Firefox won't load any pages, and while Device Manager says the modem is working properly, it also says that the port is in use by another application, even when nothing else is open. In an additional twist, it says the modem is connected to COM3, but system information doesn't admit that any such port exists (the only communication port it recognizes is COM1). How do you configure port assignments in XP (I vaguely remember doing it Windows 98, but XP help is, typically, useless).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Sometimes happens, Timothy. I've got broadband, but have been using my 56K modem as fax and answerphone for many years, and as an emergency backup if broadband should be down. Every few weeks, my computer (Windows XP SP2) decides to not recognise the modem, for reasons unknown, and exactly the way you describe.

Reinstalling the modem drivers and/or other software (I've got mine on a CD-ROM that came with the modem) will help.

Hope this might work out for you as well. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

I've done a search and can't find any help there - so does anyone have a suggestion?

Whategver it is, try to fix it with the computer out of the network. Pull the cable, turn the wireless base station off.

Maybe reboot into windows "safe" mode.

If you see the nasty message try to kill it before it "saves" the settings - maybe CTRL-ALT-DELETE and shut down processes through the Task Manager.

Check out programs automatically started at boot time and see if you really want them.

From there on in, other than "get a good anti-spam/virus/adware/spyware tool there isn't much I can say [Frown]

I did over my neighbour's machine manually, not using a tool. But its a very long-winded way of doing it. (though it more or less lmost always works) My general approach to it is to look at the Event Log first. look forf error messages, try to estabouish when the Bad Thuing (whatever it was) happened. Even spam often leaves a log trail on the C: drive. Then I search the machine for files and directories updated at or near the time of the incident, especially for any recently installed or updated executable programs in system directories

I also look for hidden files and directories, for system files posing as other things, etc. etc. (line commands "dir", "find", and "attrib" are good for this - not unfoprtuneatly the real pukka Unix "find" command but Microsoft "find" which is basically a castrated "grep" but can be used to filter the output of "dir")

I also look through the Registry for keys I don't recognise. This is unbelievably tedious and depends on having spent so much of your life eviscerating operating systems that you can spot what fits and what doesn't.

And even then its not safe just to delete what looks bad - always check first on one of the many sites that describe what programs live in Windows and what don't.

In a world that includes Vista that pretty much boils down to "Don't try this at home, folks!"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:
I have a Belkin USB plug-in wifi antenna which works fine with XP but I have no idea how to make it work with Linux. Any suggestions/workarounds?

Start by finding out what the thing actually is. Run 'lsusb' from a command prompt and you should be able to identify the chipset. Google from there.
Try here -
Ubuntu Launchpad knowledgebase
and here - Ubuntu community help pages

They should give you a hand...

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:

Have a shufti at this set of fedora patches.

FD (.debs rule [Biased] )

Agreed - SO much easier with sudo apt-get update, sdo apt-get upgrade...

[Cool]

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pah. 'patch' rules. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks for the ubuntu advice, I hope to have time to look.

In a different problem, brought here from the technical support thread:

My usual ISP's DNS server crashed yesterday, and since it's come back up some but by no means all sites (including the Ship) are not accessible and/or take an eternity to load. The other site I've noticed this with also has links to ads. When the Ship eventually comes up, I don't have the ads (maybe this is a feature? [Devil] but then again, I can't post...) This is true whether I'm accessing the net from my desktop or my laptop.

From this I gather that there is a DNS/IP conflict. Can anyone tell me whether I have any hope of doing something about this from my end?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The whole thing has suddenly come back. Great Are The Mysteries of The Internet.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I spoke too soon [Waterworks] The Ship was fine for about an hour, and then mostly refused to load. This site and one other seem to be affected. Everything else works fine. Can someone tell me what could cause such an intermittent problem?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016