homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A blast from the past to see different scenes and people.

[ 17. April 2017, 11:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't think of any autumn Easter hymns*, there are some summer Christmas songs. Shirley Erana Murray wrote one called, Carol Our Christmas with music by Colin Gibson, and there is a CD with this and other NZ carols written by others as well as a song book of more.

All of the clips of Carol our Christmas on You Tube have it sung a bit more slowly than the CD, and one even has it listed as a lullaby, which seems just wrong to me. I am not knowledgeable about what makes a hymn, a hymn, but my understanding is that a carol is light and joyful.

* I have a feeling that William Wallace (a contemporary writer, not the Mel Gibson one [Biased] ) may have written some autumn in Easter songs, but I can't remember them specifically), Arabella and GG probably know heaps more about this than I do.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't think of anything for an autumn Easter. At Christmas there are several Australian songs. The north wind is tossing the leaves is one and Orana, orana, orana for Christmas day is another. There are another couple as well but they have slipped my mind right now.

John Wheeler has written several and some other Christmas related writing as well.

[ 17. April 2017, 22:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The other day I used the last of a pack of Elastoplast fabric strips bought when I moved here six years ago. Rarely used by me, but the girls used them often on blisters caused by strappy sandals. When in chemist for flu jab i bought another box to have on hand. They have gone the way of Minties, Fantales and Iced Vo-Vos. They have shrunk. The strips in this packet are just over half the width of the previous pack.

Sic transit Gloria Mundi,so passes the glory of the world.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The other day I used the last of a pack of Elastoplast fabric strips bought when I moved here six years ago. Rarely used by me, but the girls used them often on blisters caused by strappy sandals. When in chemist for flu jab i bought another box to have on hand. They have gone the way of Minties, Fantales and Iced Vo-Vos. They have shrunk. The strips in this packet are just over half the width of the previous pack.

Sic transit Gloria Mundi,so passes the glory of the world.

Don't they usually come in a choice of different widths? Elastoplast or other brands, but not necessarily your favourite ones.
My chemist a couple of years ago had trouble tracking down Alka-Seltzer, my only choice for upset tummy or reflux, so I bought two packets. Surprised to see a couple of packets on their shelves the other day – I should have bought them.
Not that I need them often.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Different shapes, spots, patches. I was comparing the strips I had just finished with the ones bought today. I rarely use anything like that, even the expensive low allergy German adhesive plasters bring me out in blisters after a day. If not attended to promptly, they can easily become infected.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew someone years ago who was allergic to sticking plaster, and wondered what on earth she did if she cut herself.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I knew someone years ago who was allergic to sticking plaster, and wondered what on earth she did if she cut herself.

I'm allergic to Elastoplast, too. Many small blisters. There are plenty of non-allergenic alternatives at the chemist, though.
Many years ago, I had an appendicectomy in Royal Melbourne. My papers were all marked in large red lettering - "Elastoplast Allergy". I woke up with a 6"x 3" strip of Elastoplast over the wound! Took much longer for the allergic blisters to heal than the surgical cut :-(

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got an allergy like that, but it's to surgical glue and tapes. And since the situation is that much more serious, they make me lump the itching and welts and scarring.

For lesser wounds I can beg off the tape in favor of gauze pads held on by an ace bandage rolled round and round the arm or leg.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Rexory, Elastoplast lasts slightly longer than J&J products and German expensive tape about another day. Some years ago, I had an infected cyst removed from the back of thigh. I told them about allergies but they tried. One day the nurse told me she could see every place where she had tried to stick dressing down. Eventually, she used a tubular, stretchy knit dressing on thigh to keep bandage on. The main problem was that the actual removal had left a deep bullet shaped hole which had to heal from the bottom up so needed a dressing for a long time.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TP is allergic to bandaids too. We just pack gauze pads on to any wounds and tie them on with strips of cloth torn from my cotton petticoats... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You learn something every day. Did not people could be allergic to sticking plasters. Being a clumsy sort I am thankfully not!

My manager and I are planning a bushwalk to a WWII plane downed in the mountains near here on Sunday. Should be good fun.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Unfortunately, I seem to have passed this allergy on to Miss M. When she was so sick with chemo tubes, tests etc things were much worse as everything had to be bandaged on rather than stuck on with adhesive

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Band aid plasters are of the devil. If someone sticks one on when I am not looking, great pussy blisters erupt. I usually ask for paper tape and gauze or cotton.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I had flu jab yesterday and it was so smooth I did not realise a tiny round spot had been placed on injection site till it began to itch.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago, cuts and grazes were swabbed with Dettol disinfectant, then Savlon ointment or red Mercurochrome was smeared on and a plaster (Elastoplast) put on over that, or a linen bandage secured with a safety pin. Now it seems that just a little salt and water and no Elastoplast is preferred for minor cuts and grazes. I always wanted a great splosh of crimson Mercurachrome on my knee or my entire leg to be swathed in bandages before going to school and affecting a limp. #childhooddramaqueen

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Rarely used by me, but the girls used them often on blisters caused by strappy sandals.

Don't you Austrailians have Compeeds. Yes, they are expensive but they work and are classed as essential walking kit* these days over here. So much so that they have many imitators.

Jengie

*Full Walking Blister kit
  • Compeed in various sizes
  • scissors (for removing dead skin)
  • anti-septic wipes (for making sure it is clean)
  • needle (for popping blisters)
  • thread (for draining blisters)

[ 20. April 2017, 08:59: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have seen plasters for blisters but these were my then much younger granddaughters who visited every second weekend. It would depend on what they brought with them as to blisters etc.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Years ago, cuts and grazes were swabbed with Dettol disinfectant, then Savlon ointment or red Mercurochrome was smeared on and a plaster (Elastoplast) put on over that, or a linen bandage secured with a safety pin. Now it seems that just a little salt and water and no Elastoplast is preferred for minor cuts and grazes. I always wanted a great splosh of crimson Mercurachrome on my knee or my entire leg to be swathed in bandages before going to school and affecting a limp. #childhooddramaqueen

My eldest son was accident prone and I always had a good supply of first aid stuff. It seemed mostly best to just clean it and keep a watch on it.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Rarely used by me, but the girls used them often on blisters caused by strappy sandals.

Don't you Austrailians have Compeeds. Yes, they are expensive but they work and are classed as essential walking kit* these days over here. So much so that they have many imitators.
Blister plasters yes, but not under that brand name. From memory, it's a Johnson and Johnson product and the name incorporates the word blister. Essential for cadets breaking in new boots (they always cause blisters, always have, always will) . Dearer than usual band-aids but not outrageously so, work extremely well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Compeed are on sale in Australia and have been for years.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm very prone to blisters with new shoes, and I find Compeed is the only thing for it - the imitations (like Boots' own brand) aren't bad, but Compeed is actually worth the extra money. For blisters, ordinary sticking plaster is almost worse than useless.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr S discovered he was allergic to Elastoplast when he chipped an elbow bone playing football as a teenager. They strapped the arm, wrist to shoulder, in it [Eek!]

He soaked it all off in the bath (the chipped bone had to get by as best it could) and now has to use gauze and micropore tape for cuts.

Mrs. S, too clumsy to manage without sticking plaster1

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Compeed are on sale in Australia and have been for years.

Thanks - not seen them here, just the others, which have worked well for us.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And after a beautiful week of golden light and lovely chocolatey Easter celebrations the sky is now overcast, the trees are becoming skeletal, and the annoying whine of leaf blowers is filling the air.

I hate to sound Stark,,,but today we can really feel that WINTER IS COMING. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Winter is coming a bit further SW to where you are BL too...a rainy and chilly day, with much rain forecast tomorrow. My manager and I's weekend bushwalk has been postponed. The large tree in my backyard has started its annual shedding of leaves...

I do like Albury in the autumn, though; lots of trees changing colour. And we generally have bluebird days. But not currently.

Felt like comfort food tonight. Got takeaway pasta and a lemon meringue pie from the pasta shop. Mission accomplished: I feel very comforted after the pasta. Now for the pie... [Smile]

[ 21. April 2017, 08:41: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

What might be called an unusual combination, and hope you're still with us.

Definitely mid-autumn here, and good weather for bbqs. A bit of chill in the air, grilled meat of some sort and a couple of glasses of red are a good combination. The end of daylight saving is very welcome to me - it somehow seems ok to walk home from the station in the dark, but not to walk to it in the morning until there's more than a suggestion that day is on its way.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another glorious autumn day here, although there's a definite chill in the air and the day takes longer to warm up. Autumn is my favourite season - all the colours, and the leaves to scrunch through.

Christchurch is a city of deciduous trees. Historically the image of Christchurch as the "most English of NZ cities" and "The Garden City" has been promoted, but since the quakes more evergreen natives have been planted as a deliberate council policy. I like seeing some of my favourite tree species in the city, (though the prevalence of lancewoods is a bit overwhelming), but at this time of year the deciduous win hands down as far as I'm concerned.

Of course the Council with their practical responsibilities for keeping gutters running freely and footpaths cleared of leaves made slippery by rain, have different priorities.

Huia

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Still here. [Biased] Should've went for gelato, I suppose, but the pie, and pasta, was great.

I visited Christchurch in 2005 [?] in autumn...it was beautiful. Drove down to Akaroa which was also rather stunning. A quick trip, but one I remember fondly - even if I've forgotten what year it was!

[ 21. April 2017, 23:01: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... today we can really feel that WINTER IS COMING. [Waterworks]

Does it cheer you up that here in what passes for spring we had a few inches of sn*w yesterday?

Admittedly it didn't lie, but they're forecasting some more for tomorrow ... [Frown]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Ian. Even further south, around Central Otago is incredible, because the temperature differential is greater. In some years here dead, brown leaves just hang on the trees - but I don't think this year is going to be one of them.

Huia

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In some years here dead, brown leaves just hang on the trees...

In the northern part of the US, dead oak leaves stay on the trees until they are pushed off by the new leaves of spring.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've noticed a couple of trees here with dead brown leaves still hanging on them right through the winter; I didn't know they could do that.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweet gum trees (liquidambar) will do that. Very unattractive all winter. But I still like them the rest of the year.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In some years here dead, brown leaves just hang on the trees...

In the northern part of the US, dead oak leaves stay on the trees until they are pushed off by the new leaves of spring.

Moo

Those would be the pin-oaks. We have them elsewhere in our suburb and they make me feel sad all winter, seeing them shrouded in their tattered brown leaves. Many different kinds of oak trees - our street is lined with American hairy oaks. The acorns have little hairy hats on them. The trees are now so big that the acorns are the size of golf balls - you really don't want to get hit by them when they fall. And parking underneath one can be very hazardous at this time of year.

The council have been out massacring trees along Canberra Avenue again. Enormous stately cottonwood poplars have had ALL the branches removed from the side facing the footpath. This makes them look drunkenly lopsided and tortured. But the power lines near them are clear. Sigh.

I have no love of cottonwood fluff, but I would rather see a beautiful tree replaced with a shrub than dealt with like that.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure I would want to be called an "American hairy oak." Lacks a certain luster I feel.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have just watched the ABC coverage of the Sydney Anzac Day march. If was still going after over three hours when they switched to coverage from Gallipoli.

So many banners, all interesting. The Polar Bears who served in the Arctic. I wondered about that one then my brother said he knew someone who had been part of escorts for convoys around Norway. I knew about that,but had not made the connection.

Dozens of bands, some of which did the circuit two or three times. Several from local schools, Burwood Girls , Trinity and others. Masses of green blazers from Trinity as the band was large. Of course, what other colour could they have?

Some dogs, complete with vests in colours, six marching with one group. They all were applauded loudly.

Am now watching the ceremony from Gallipoli.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Wet, windy and cold in the National Capitol. I felt extremely sorry for the old and frail braving the elements for ANZAC Day...and the Tongans who marched in sandals and traditional tropical attire.

Had the fire on most of the day. Projected top of 12 degrees tomorrow. Brrrr.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's 13° here, and I was just thinking what a lovely warm evening it is. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Briefly, briefly got to 12 mid morning. By lunchtime back to 9 when a cold rain squall hit. Mid afternoon it was 11. Temperature now falling again. Seriously starting to put hibernation plans in place.

TP is loving it. He is out communing in the garden, praying over all the box hedging he has just put in and planning more landscaping. I suppose at least one of us is enjoying it, and that is a good thing?

Sigh.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

A top of 15° here today.

Our new employee, recently arrived from up north in Darwin, is not impressed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It was around. 20 here this afternoon when the southerly change moved through. A few minutes later it was 12. Snowing in Alps both NSW and Vic.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It was around. 20 here this afternoon when the southerly change moved through. A few minutes later it was 12. Snowing in Alps both NSW and Vic.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

21c forecast today. The mist has disappeared, which is really good. I hate those clammy starts to the day.

Hopefully this will be a day where children can get outside and enjoy their holidays. I am waiting until the afternoon to go to the library as the school holiday activities there are planned for the morning. [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Do both North and South islands have school hols scheduled on the same weeks in NZ? In Australia it is staggered so only 2 states have school hols at identical dates. This causes us some interesting moments as we have grandchildren in three different zones. It is never easy to organise family gatherings.

Facebook post from son-in-law asked if anyone else forgot to send their children back to school yesterday! He was looking after two of his own and one step-child from interstate who doesn't go back to school until next Monday.

I am sure he is not alone.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does sound confusing! Over here AFAIK (being childless, it doesn't affect us), when the schools go back after the summer is dictated by Labour Day (the first Monday in September), but as it's a national holiday, I assume everyone goes back at the same time.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

State schools in NSW resumed yesterday. The school several grandchildren go to went back on Monday, then Tuesday was Anzac Day, so no school. Two of the grandchildren were allowed Monday off by my son and their mother. They went to to Titanic exhibition at Moore Park and enjoyed it thorooughly. Learnt heaps and not just about Titanic. Son said it was a worthwhile day.

School must be back and extra long weekends are over. The traffic in both directions on Parramatta Road and even on side street opposite is heavier than I have seen it for a long time. Barely moving and cars are waiting more than one set of lights to get through intersection downstairs.

Cold too. Snow on alps down south is sending chilly tentacles up this way.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cool here today.

The schools started yesterday, but the school time speed restrictions start on pupil free days for some reason.

LKKspouse is working on flood relief for Justice dept. They call up the Alumni (as they call them) to do this. 8:30- 5pm 7 days on one day off.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Do both North and South islands have school hols scheduled on the same weeks in NZ?

Yup ... small country, no need to stagger

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Schools resume for the 2nd term on Monday all over NZ.

The Ministry of Education guideline is that all schools must be open for a certain number of half days per year, but fine tuning is in the hands of the Board of Trustees of each school. The school where I volunteer was open on Maundy Thursday, whereas the school down the road closed on the Wednesday. (I think they started the term a day before us).

Secondary schools have longer holidays, finishing a week or so before Primary. (I always said Secondary Teachers didn't work as hard [Razz] ).

Such a lovely day today and I achieved Things
[Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016