homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Sundry liturgical questions (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sundry liturgical questions
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Ratratrat:

my friend's church had the Summary of the Law and the Comfortable Words, which I don't think I've ever heard recited before.

It may well be a seasonal variation. If I remember correctly, when I was back in England, our Lent and Advent liturgies used the summary of the Law and Comfortable words.

Here in Scotland, we have both in the Advent variation of the 1970 Liturgy we use (Scottish Episcopal Church).

[ 05. December 2016, 15:52: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ratatrat, you don't say what order of service you are used to, but the Holy Communion service in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, taken strictly and literally, uses the Ten Commandments, but the Summary of Christ's Law is a substitute for that and the Ten Commandments are seldom to never, read out.

The Comfortable Words are a normal feature of 1662 BCP Communion and both the Summary of Christ's Law and the Comfortable Words are very familiar to adherents of that liturgical rite.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
Lutherans sit for hymns . . . .

Interesting. I've never encountered that among American Lutherans. Around here, they stand to sing.

But regardless, surely this falls under a "when in Canterbury" rule. Even if the custom of ones own tradition is to sing seated, it seems very odd to insist on remaining seated when visiting a congregation of another tradition and that congregation stands to sing.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Lutheran services I've been to, the custom was to stand for the opening and closing hymns, but to sit for the Gradual hymn (standing up for the Gospel, of course), and for the Offertory hymn.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ratratrat
Apprentice
# 18669

- Posted      Profile for Ratratrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Ratatrat, you don't say what order of service you are used to, but the Holy Communion service in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, taken strictly and literally, uses the Ten Commandments, but the Summary of Christ's Law is a substitute for that and the Ten Commandments are seldom to never, read out.

The Comfortable Words are a normal feature of 1662 BCP Communion and both the Summary of Christ's Law and the Comfortable Words are very familiar to adherents of that liturgical rite.

Hi EF,

I am used to Order One Traditional Language, in which I believe the Decalogue/Summary of the Law and the Comfortable Words are options, but as I mention, I have never heard them used.

Do you have any idea when and why these options fell out of widespread use?

Ratratrat
Apprentice
# 18669

- Posted      Profile for Ratratrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hi EF,

I am used to Order One Traditional Language, in which I believe the Decalogue/Summary of the Law and the Comfortable Words are options, but as I mention, I have never heard them used.

keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
Lutherans sit for hymns
To which, Zappa replied: I believe this is because the hymns are so bloody long (every line incoporating every doctrinal exactitude and every heretical inexactitude requiring correction known to religio-humanity)

Really? Not at Lutheran services I've attended. The hymn tradition is largely similar to that of the main anglo churches in character, and indeed there's a lot of overlap not only within the anglo countries but also in Continental Europe.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ratratrat:
.. I am used to Order One Traditional Language, in which I believe the Decalogue/Summary of the Law and the Comfortable Words are options, but as I mention, I have never heard them used.

I'm under the impression the use of the Summary of the Law to precede the Confession is quite widespread. The full Ten Commandments less so, though until quite recently we had them regularly in Advent and Lent.

The Comfortable Words are part of the BCP form of service and are available as an option in Common Worship Order 1. I rather miss them and wish they were used more often. I am fairly sure they are compulsory in Order 2 which is basically the BCP with a few permitted alternatives + a modern language alternative.

Incidentally, I can't off-hand remember when I last encountered Order One Traditional Language rather than the more usual form. It may just be the limited diversity of my experience but I get the impression it is becoming quite rare.

Somebody who knows more about these things can perhaps elucidate further but I don't think all the Eucharistic prayers exist in Traditional Language form.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect Zappa was being ironic... [Razz]

I hope...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop wrote:
quote:

To which Ratratrat replied:
Hi EF,

Flipflop has it right: 1662 specifies the full 10 Commandments, each with its own liturgical response. Our Lord's Summary of the Law was authorized at some point – probably C19, possibly not till 1928 – and became very widely used, but the Full Ten were still certainly in use down to the end of the BCP Era (i.e. 1960s).
– I'm not familiar with CW Order One Trad, so can't comment on that; in our parish, at BCP Eucharists the priest usually uses the Summary, but this last weekend I know the Full Ten were used. – As for the Comfortable Words, in my experience they are used at BCP celebrations without exception; I'm quite surprised to hear that they might be omitted.
Can other Shipmates who are familiar with Order One Trad comment?

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
While we are on the subject of Christingles, thought people might like to see this that I stumbled upon yesterday [Smile]

I gave the Christingle a miss in the end but did attend the 'Advent Procession' in the same place, which turns out was basically Advent Lessons and Carols by candlelight and was magnificent.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I suspect Zappa was being ironic... [Razz]

I hope...

IJ

[Snigger]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use the APBA Second Order (as does virtually everywhere outside Sydney, Armidale and North-West Aust) and that has the summary of the Law before general confession; also comfortable words between intercessions and Humble Access.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ratratrat:
quote:

Hi EF,

If you have never heard them used, you may be very parochial and not given to going round to other churches very much.

Off the top of my heard, I cannot answer your question, if other shipmates haven't beaten me to it. I can always get back to you later.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you have never heard them used, you may be very parochial and not given to going round to other churches very much.

Off the top of my heard, I cannot answer your question, if other shipmates haven't beaten me to it. I can always get back to you later.

Most worshipping Christians are very parochial, and rightly so: stability is a virtue, ecclesiastical tourism not necessarily so. In any case, it depends on which churches you visit. It is quite possible that most churches in a particular area have a similar approach to liturgy.

As for when and why these features fell out of general use, I would say from the advent of the 'alternative services' in the 1960s, or at least the ASB in 1980, when they were specifically marked as optional. Why: much to do with the playing down of the note of judgement and penitence in Christianity generally (but there could be some cause and effect reinforcement going on there.) As well as the sense, in the case of the Comfortable Words, that there is no obvious natural place for them that doesn't interrupt the flow of the liturgy.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m certain fiddling about with the BCP pre-dated the alternative series, even in MOTR churches.

Two examples.

When I first began to attend 9.30 Holy Communion I was duly handed a BCP. I wondered whatever happened to the Exhortations. Anyone ever heard them said? But they are a mandatory part of the service.

Father Colin Stephenson was Administrator of Walsingham in the late 50s and was often asked to help out at neighbouring parishes. He had no wish to impose Anglo Catholic bits and tried to give them what they wanted, ie straight BCP.

After one such service a churchwarden came up and said “Thank you very much, padre, but we aren’t as High Church as you and we don’t have the Ten Commandments.”

(The joke being I don’t suppose the Ten Commandments were ever used at mass at Walsingham or similar churches.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We use the APBA Second Order (as does virtually everywhere outside Sydney, Armidale and North-West Aust) and that has the summary of the Law before general confession; also comfortable words between intercessions and Humble Access.

Gee D, while you are totally correct with regards to the liturgy as it is in print, I draw your attention to the rubric which says, in respect of the Summary of the Law, that it "may be used according to local and seasonal custom, in any appropriate form and sequence - and allows for 'other suitable passages' with regards to the Confession in its earlier position, while in its second place (before the Greeting of Peace), it says 'The deacon or other minister introduces the confession with the following [God is steadfast in love....], a seasonal introduction, or other suitable words.

With regards to the Comfortable Words, again it is an optional extra (along with the and/or Prayer of Approach), signified by the thick grey line running down the page.

From my experience of churches of the same ilk here in Sydney and hence in the wider national body, each Sunday you are more likely to have the seasonal introductions than the summary of the law; and only sporadic use of the Comfortable Words.

As it is Advent, thought I would include the Invitation to Confession for Advent:

The Lord comes, brining to light things now hidden in darkness, and disclosing the purposes of the heart. Let us open our hearts and prepare for his coming, confessing our sins in penitence and faith.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that detail; it's so long since I actually looked at a prayerbook that I'd forgotten the rubrics at the side.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

As for when and why these features fell out of general use, I would say from the advent of the 'alternative services' in the 1960s, or at least the ASB in 1980, when they were specifically marked as optional. Why: much to do with the playing down of the note of judgement and penitence in Christianity generally (but there could be some cause and effect reinforcement going on there.) As well as the sense, in the case of the Comfortable Words, that there is no obvious natural place for them that doesn't interrupt the flow of the liturgy.

Growing up with the ASB in Somerset I was used to the summary of the law being used regularly, while the comfortable words were a regular feature of the liturgy from Common Worship used when I lived in West Yorkshire. I don't know how common that experience was.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

Most worshipping Christians are very parochial, and rightly so: stability is a virtue, ecclesiastical tourism not necessarily so. In any case, it depends on which churches you visit. It is quite possible that most churches in a particular area have a similar approach to liturgy.
By turns, I am both very parochial and at other times, I am incapable of being parochial, or my E F-f name, wouldn't be what it is!

I challenge any Anglican Vicar to ask me to be a churchwarden!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone think of a good reason why the church in the parish where I live is deciding to dispense with the Circumcision, Naming of Christ and Feast of the Holy Family and go straight to The Epiphany on 1st January?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Maybe they want to celebrate the Epiphany ahead of the actual day, so that The Baptism of Christ can be properly observed on Sunday 8th January, as per the Lectionary?

The Lectionary permits transfer of the Epiphany to Sunday 8th January if required.

Whatever, I doubt if many churches will have a sizeable congregation on 1st January, anyway.

IJ

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Can anyone think of a good reason why the church in the parish where I live is deciding to dispense with the Circumcision, Naming of Christ and Feast of the Holy Family and go straight to The Epiphany on 1st January?

Again, we hark back to the BCP 1662 and the feast of the Circumcision occurs in that Kalendar on 1st. January.

The modern RC Kalendar on 1st January commemorates, the solemnity of 'Mary Mother of God'. Yes, in a different Kalendar, 1st January commemorates 'The Naming of Christ'.

In the modern RC Kalendar, the feast of the Holy Family is kept on the Sunday between Christmas and New Year, or if it doesn't occur, on 30th. December.

I understand that the feast of the Baptism of Christ is kept on the Sunday after Epiphany.

--------------------

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I understand that the feast of the Baptism of Christ is kept on the Sunday after Epiphany.

In 2017 (this year [Biased] ) the Baptism has to be squeezed in on Monday 9th Jan if one has celebrated Epiphany on Sunday the 8th.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
quote:

In 2017 (this year [Biased] ) the Baptism has to be squeezed in on Monday 9th Jan if one has celebrated Epiphany on Sunday the 8th.
That thought crossed my mind, but I was trying to keep it relatively simple.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Maybe they don't want to be reminded that Jesus:

a) was Jewish and
b) had sexual organs

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Jesus ...

had sexual organs

[Eek!] [Waterworks] [Razz]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, he did - and I've even heard that a (very) far-sighted Rabbi, knowing who the child was, saved the Holy Foreskin for future generations of the faithful to venerate (somewhere or other).

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Damn - should've checked beforehand. It wasn't the Rabbi, it was an old Hebrew woman who saved the foreskin (or Holy Prepuce). It says so in Wikipedia, so it must be right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

IJ

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that for those following the newer calendars, it just works out this year that Epiphany, if not kept on the 6, has to be on the 1st, because Sunday the 8 is the Baptism of the Lord. This came up on one of the rubrical groups on Facebook.

We will have our usual High Mass of the Circumcision; it will just be on Sunday instead of an additional high mass during the week.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Knopwood:
I believe that for those following the newer calendars, it just works out this year that Epiphany, if not kept on the 6, has to be on the 1st, because Sunday the 8 is the Baptism of the Lord. This came up on one of the rubrical groups on Facebook.

We will have our usual High Mass of the Circumcision; it will just be on Sunday instead of an additional high mass during the week.

Well it seems not to be so in the (RC) Diocese of Westminster. I did check their calendar.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Epiphany outranks the Baptism of the Lord, so if one is to be dumped out of a church's calendar it has to be the latter.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If the Epiphany is kept on Sunday 8, the Baptism is shunted to Monday 9. I've checked Universalis.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It says so in Wikipedia, so it must be right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

What wikipedia doesn't make clear is how the foreskin(s) are preserved.

Are they pickled in ethanol or vinegar or just miraculous? And did they look like lumps of several-millennia-old foreskin?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a practical note the mohel (ritual circumciser) asked me if I wanted to keep the boys' "bits" (29 and 25 years ago).
Apparently some people do. They keep them in the bottle of wine used in the ceremony.
Why they do this and whether they are brought out ever again I do not know. Nor do I want to.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the confusion of festivals following Christmas:

Liturgical revisers (of varying levels of intelligence) have so mucked about with Jan 1 (by whatever name), Epiphany, Baptism of Our Lord, that it is nearly impossible to make any logical sense of this segment of the year, since some of it is governed by calendar date and some of it by day of the week.
And then there's Innocents-Steven-and-John, trying to get their licks in.
The RCC's penchant for renaming and shifting stuff around also tends to confuse others who more-or-less vaguely follow its lead.

Sigh -- it was all so much simpler before Trent! [Confused]

And I still miss the opportunity to celebrate one of the 3 'witness days' on a Sunday, recalling a long-ago Holy Innocents mass with red vestments surrounded by masses of poinsettias.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
On a practical note the mohel (ritual circumciser) asked me if I wanted to keep the boys' "bits" (29 and 25 years ago).
Apparently some people do. They keep them in the bottle of wine used in the ceremony.
Why they do this and whether they are brought out ever again I do not know. Nor do I want to.

I thought that Judaism insists that the forsekin be buried.

[ 10. December 2016, 16:09: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

I thought that Judaism insists that the forsekin be buried.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that in C18 italy castrati were given their removed bits to carry around in a little bag, so that they could in due course be buried with them. This was so that they would have them restored in the resurrection. However Mk 12:25 would suggest they will be neither necessary nor useful there.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I recall the old gag about the mohel who kept all the foreskins he'd removed in his career and, on his retirement, handed them to a leather worker to be made into something useful. When he expressed dissatisfaction with the finished product, the leather worker said, "It's only a wallet now, but if you rub it, it turns into a suitcase." I wouldn't dream of relating such a joke in Ecclesiantics though. [Biased]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:

If the Epiphany is kept on Sunday 8, the Baptism is shunted to Monday 9. I've checked Universalis.
That's more sensible. Our Book of Alternative Services has this:

quote:
When January 1 is a Sunday, these propers will be used instead of those for the First Sunday after [sic] Christmas, or those of the Epiphany may be used.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, he did - and I've even heard that a (very) far-sighted Rabbi, knowing who the child was, saved the Holy Foreskin for future generations of the faithful to venerate (somewhere or other).

[Paranoid]

IJ

A hymn for the feast.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, well. A candidate for the Dead Horses thread, although it was probably written with great faith and sincerity.

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
[QUOTE]Are they pickled in ethanol or vinegar or just miraculous? And did they look like lumps of several-millennia-old foreskin?

More like whelks in vinegar, I should think. Was the old lady forewarned to exercise such formidable foreskin foresight.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Formalin would have been best, had she been forewarned long enough in advance to foreorder it.

Isn't English a fun language?

IJ

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was obviously foreordained.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Fortuitously!

(I'll get me coat, and away to the Circus...)

IJ

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

I'll forego any more puns.

Coat's already on...

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cut it out, will you? [Killing me]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Forsooth, Sir - wherefore?

IJ

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hesitate to interrupt the proceedings, but a couple days have passed, so...

Most of the time I attend the 11am at the local Anglican Cathedral, occasionally the 10:30 at a local parish church. (They're equidistant from me - the Cathedral gives me those precious extra 30 minutes.) When it comes to the Psalm, at the Cathedral the superb choir sings it while the congregation sits. At the parish church - which has an excellent choir of its own - the congregation remains seated and reads the psalm aloud while the choir is silent. The latter practice strikes me as very Protestant (no problem with that, per se). Could anyone explain this to me?

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016