homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
Although, Us ACs could say the same about the evangelicals, why don't they get out of the CofE and join the baptists or the methodists?

Well we do, sometimes. And then we go to CofE churches again sometimes. Because we don't tend to think of ourselves as members of a denomination so much as members of a church - the actual local church. And if we move to a new town & find that the church that's most appropriate for us is a different denomination than the one we just left, its not such a big deal.

If I went and lived in my Aunt's flat in East Kilbride I might well go to the local Kirk with her. In fact I think that's where I'd start. Or to Alan's URC (don't worry Alan & Flausa - I'm not intending to move!). And if I did I wouldn't think of myself as leaving the Anglican communion so much as just going to a different church. Or I might go to the nearest church, which is in fact Episcopalian. But if I did that it wouldn't be because it is in the Anglican Communion so much as because it is nearby and a decent sort of place.

The local church is the primary instantiation on earth in these times of the universal Church which is the Body of Christ. Not a bureacracy of bishops or moderators or committees of elders or whatever.

It must be hard to have all these existential doubts about validity and apostolicity... no wonder you end up tempted to use the Vatican as a sort of eccesiastical Verisign.

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
thus leaving the CofE to the MotR, prayer-book sorts who actually founded the sodding thing.

But there's only three & a half of them left in England. And two of them are Methodists on alternate Sundays.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh bugger it - you wanted an answer on what I believed and I gave it to you! You don't like it? Tough.

If I say that it's complicated that's because it is.
It's not debatable and I will do what I like when it comes to converting etc.

I'm glad that you would like to see me out because I'm glad that I'll be able to leave the confusion and the uncertainty of the CofE that I experience behind and I'll be able to live my life in a denomination that I think is strong and united in beliefs.

No more to debate that's the end!

BTW - At least I'll still be a Christian and I still believe in Christainity unlike the majority of people in my school and previous schools and I think in the country.
I'll never become an athiest or would you all want me to do that?

[ 20. April 2005, 16:41: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You said that a few pages back. Do you mean it this time?

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peronel:
quote:

You said that a few pages back. Do you mean it this time?
I didn't start this debate - I was answering a question and you got an answer. There is no debate.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't ask a question; I simply said it was time for you to shit or get off the goddamned pot. I also said that you're a coward, a liar and a hypocrite, but I did forget to say that you are a misogynistic pig, too.

I had held out some hope that even if you're a snot-nosed brat, you at least had the courage of your convictions. You don't even have that, so now you're just an annoying school boy who likes to pretend he's a grown-up but in reality is just a child.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I had held out some hope that even if you're a snot-nosed brat, you at least had the courage of your convictions. You don't even have that, so now you're just an annoying school boy who likes to pretend he's a grown-up but in reality is just a child.

And the content of your recent posts (I particularly liked 'shitstain' - although 103 would, I think, be more familiar with the English 'skidmark') obviously demonstrates your great age, wisdom and sagacity.

I bet you've still got those old school textbooks of yours where you drew a big cock onto Henry VIII during history or wrote 'Darwin sucks dick' in your biology book.

One day, I'll write posts as grown-up as yours. I can only dream.

Cosmo

[ 20. April 2005, 17:01: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
I didn't ask a question; I simply said it was time for you to shit or get off the goddamned pot. I also said that you're a coward, a liar and a hypocrite, but I did forget to say that you are a misogynistic pig, too.

That really is quite a pathetic personal attack. Next time do try to insult me.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm.....why is it people who defend others from the gator always agree with the person being defended?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Last time you lasted almost a day before returning to the thread you'd left. This time, barely half an hour.
[Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:

Last time you lasted almost a day before returning to the thread you'd left. This time, barely half an hour.
[Disappointed]

I never said I would leave the thread, I just said that my beliefs were not debatable.

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the 'Gator needs no defence nor wants it, but I find her sig very poignant:

quote:
To live forever and to rule all. That is winning.
I think that's everyone's goal, but maybe not everyone has the same vision of that goal. The 'Gator has a very attention-getting way of seeking that goal and inducing others to think in ways that may not have occurred to them.

Keep at it, Gator. I think it may be working. Though perhaps not in the way you are hoping for.

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
quote:

Secondly - Why do you think I'm jumping ship? I don't think that MY church has an invalid sacrament,

Well once you jump ship that will be what you sign up to since that is RC's official position. Your priest at the moment will be longer a priest in your eyes. Your new opinion would be that any bread blessed by an Anglican Priest is just a bit of bread.
I can't say what 103 will believe, but why should he agree with that? He is perfectly capable of forming a sensible and consistent view of holy orders and the eucharist which differs from the official doctrine (insofar as there is one) of the Anglican church and would be as capable as any other Catholic is of independent thought after becoming RC.

And WTF shouldn't he? He's a Christian, and naturally wants to belong to the Church he judges to be closest to Christ's ordinance. He doesn't have to agree with everything said by the Catholics to think that they are closer to the truth than anyone else.

quote:

Bullshit. Unless your parents are forcibly dragging you into the church every week and sitting behind you on the altar with a gun pointed at your head, you damn well DO have a choice to go away. You may not be able to receive -- instead, you'll just have to sit in the pew and have it driven home just how catholic you are not, and how you are not even remotely part of Holy Mother Church, you're the ecclesial equivalent of a free church congregationalist to them, regardless of your protestations to the contrary -- but you fucking well can start going to your local RC parish.

Or possibly he is taking seriously the commandment to 'Honour thy father and thy mother' and doing his best to reconcile that with his best judgement on which part of the Church God is calling him to?

It is a scandal that because of our divisions any Christian has to make that choice, but that is hardly 103's fault. The problem of what Christians ought to do about this sort of conflict that is inevitable in a divided Church has beaten better minds than mine, but I'm willing to bet that this sort of scorn and abuse is not the answer.

quote:
So you're a goddamned liar on top of it.

103 is transparently sincere. Wrong, maybe, but if you are in a position to say that his opinions are not honestly held, I can suggest all sorts of ways in which you could put your undoubted gift of telepathy to better use.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Hmmm.....why is it people who defend others from the gator always agree with the person being defended?

I don't.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, he's a liar, because unless he's being held at gunpoint, he really does have options. He said he does not.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

quote:
I never said I would leave the thread, I just said that my beliefs were not debatable.

Then, bluntly, you shouldn't be posting them on a discussion board. You should get a blog.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, he's a liar, because unless he's being held at gunpoint, he really does have options. He said he does not.

You know, I have as little sympathy for 103 as anyone else here, but the idea that only being held at gunpoint eliminates people's options is ridiculous.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Someone held at gunpoint does have options. They can always choose to get shot. Of course, that option is so clearly bad, you can say they have 'no choice'.

But, if you allow that 'no choice' can mean no sensible or realistic choice without it being a lie, then 103 isn't lying if he thinks changing denomination now is simply not on.

If you insist that 'no choice' must mean absolutely no choice at all, then he's lying, but then, so are you, so am I, and so is everyone else who uses language with less than surgical precision.

[ 20. April 2005, 17:55: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:

Have you met my mom before? No! So you cannot possibly say!
Erin, It's not debateable and I'm not going to have a long drawn out arguement with silly over emotional people on this board about it.
If you wanna talk about it and tell me how evil/stupid/childish/great/wonderful/strong minded I am (please delete as approprate) you can add me to your MSN Messenger.
Otherwise - I have answered the question so be satisfied.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I didn't ask you a question, you worthless shithead, so I don't care if you're done here or not.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

You know, I have as little sympathy for 103 as anyone else here, but the idea that only being held at gunpoint eliminates people's options is ridiculous.
What else prevents him from either attending an RC parish or, at the very least, not attending the CoE one? What could possibly remove both of those options?

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As he's a minor, all sorts of things. I know I could not have decided on my own what church I would attend when I was a minor--my parents made that decision, and it was not negotiable.
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I disagree. Seventeen is definitely old enough to go where you wish on Sunday morning.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

I thought so too, but my parents didn't, and they owned the house, fed me, paid the bills, etc., so it didn't matter what I thought.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
still, though theres nothing stopping him from going to another church for services not on sunday morning. don't most roman catholic churches have multiple services during the week?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

What would they have done if you'd refused? Physically carried you to the church? We are, after all, talking about your eternal soul. It seems to me that it would be worth whatever inconvenience (restriction, etc.) they could have imposed.

[ 20. April 2005, 18:09: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parents can be very powerful people.

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

No, we're not talking about my eternal soul, since I didn't really grasp the concept of the soul at the time and I don't believe in it at all now. My choice at 17 would have been not to attend church at all. You have no idea how strictly I was raised if you think fighting my parents about going to church would have been worth any inconvenience or restriction. I lived with a fair number of inconveniences and restrictions even when I wasn't fighting with them or in trouble--no TV they didn't approve of (Saturday Night Live, for instance), no R-rated movies at all, no party after the prom (though my friend's parents were going to be present) ... and that's when I wasn't in trouble.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:

Indeed they can. Especially parents like mine.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

See, I don't get that at all. My parents figured out somewhere along the time I was 13 that if they wanted me to do something I really, really didn't want to do, they would be physically forcing me to do that. For instance, if they wanted me to wash the dishes, they'd have to physically force me to stand at the sink and take my hands and move them in the washing motion. Not that I ever was so obstinate about the dishes, but it's a good example. If they grounded me, they grounded me and life went on. Once we established that ground rule, everything was OK.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

You really can't make pronouncements about what other people are and are not free to do, Erin. Families are not all the same. There was no "we" establishing ground rules in my family.
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:

My kid and us, the parental units, disagree on this one. We both feel particularly helpless as the storm of puberty slowly creeps into our lives and are all hoping somebody among the three of us will be powerful.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

We're going to have to disagree on this, then, because short of a parent physically forcing a child to do something (that is, grabbing them and making the motions for them), 103 DOES have other options. He's chosen not to exercise them.

--------------------

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately as Ruth said, no two families are the same. Maybe I should have put can be in italics.

But as Erin says, there must be other options.

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
103 DOES have other options. He's chosen not to exercise them.

Yes, he does. Just like the person with a gun to their head DOES have the option to accept death rather than do what the holder of the gun says.

Let's not assume anything about family politics in the 103 household. Maybe the choice really is between the Anglican Church or a life on the streets...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think that MY church has an invalid sacrament, but I think that churches with Women Priests, Common Worship Order 2 Mass, BCP Mass and churches that do not see the Sacrament as important enough to reserve inportant enough as a "Complete Sacrament"
I would never say that any sacrament is invalid sacrament, but I think there is such thing as a damaged sacrament.

I can't tell if this means that the BCP "Mass" is invalid or damaged.

In either case call the Pope! Here are a bunch of Roman Catholics with Damaged or Invalid sacraments: Anglican Use Romans.

And there are lots of them. I wonder if they, or their bishops, or the Pope knows that their sacraments are damaged?

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is 103 really saying that he is being forced to go to a church he doesn't want to be at, by his mother [Frown] ?

Real sympathies to those whose parents forced the issue. For my generation, generally, even in 'religious' Northern Ireland, and since then the 'norm' has been that parents usually stop pressurising their kids to attend round about 12 or so. It usually coincides with confirmation. The general absence of 13 plus teens in churches testifies to that. But I do know some older teens who are told to attend church, and give in rather than have a row about it.

Sincere sympathy, really, for a young man of seventeen (old enough to have sex, earn a wage, get married, leave home, get a licence, smoke) who is being forced to go somewhere he doesn't want to go to every Sunday morning by his mum. Seriously one shouldn't underestimate the power of some parents to exert themselves over their virtually grown-up children.

What I don't understand though is that I did get the impression 103 rather liked the church he went to [Confused] . Which makes me wonder why he's complaining about having no choice about going there [Confused] ? So is it about his mother forcing him to go, and not his own free choice? Does he want to be there or doesn't he?

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I'd be glad to hear some clarification from some of our Catholic shipmates who can confirm, or not, that Anglican orders are not valid, from the perspective of the RCC.

I believe the phrase is "wholly null and utterly void." Therefore, since you need to be a validly-consecrated priest in order to conduct the Sacraments, the sacraments are likewise void etc. However (and there's always a however), I don't think the encyclical that declared Anglican orders to be void etc is an infallible teaching of the Magisterium, so there's nothing stopping Benedict XVI turning round and saying "ooops, our bad."

But fret not, dear -103, since the Holy Spirit even works in amongst the Anglicans, you might still be saved after all. (Hooray). The Church makes no pronouncements as to the salvific status of anyone, apart from Saints who have proved themselves to be enjoying the Beatific Vision by performing miracles. Isn't that nice?

[Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm. I've just had my prospective MP phone me up and beg me to vote for her].

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
quote:
I don't think that MY church has an invalid sacrament, but I think that churches with Women Priests, Common Worship Order 2 Mass, BCP Mass and churches that do not see the Sacrament as important enough to reserve inportant enough as a "Complete Sacrament"
I would never say that any sacrament is invalid sacrament, but I think there is such thing as a damaged sacrament.

I can't tell if this means that the BCP "Mass" is invalid or damaged.

In either case call the Pope! Here are a bunch of Roman Catholics with Damaged or Invalid sacraments: Anglican Use Romans.

And there are lots of them. I wonder if they, or their bishops, or the Pope knows that their sacraments are damaged?

I don't know a thing about the newer versions of BCP - I'm talking about BCP 1662 which is something that Anglican Rite Romans DO NOT use.
And the Anglican Rite is not word for word BCP, it is basically Roman Rite which has the same feeling as the newer versions of BCP.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Let's not assume anything about family politics in the 103 household. Maybe the choice really is between the Anglican Church or a life on the streets...

Then 103 has way more problems than the vagina behind the altar down the road.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know a thing about the newer versions of BCP - I'm talking about BCP 1662 which is something that Anglican Rite Romans DO NOT use.
And the Anglican Rite is not word for word BCP, it is basically Roman Rite which has the same feeling as the newer versions of BCP.

Ahh. So which part of the BCP 1662 is it that you find so objectionable (but not, apparently, all the other versions of the BCP).
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So is 103 really saying that he is being forced to go to a church he doesn't want to be at, by his mother [Frown] ?

Real sympathies to those whose parents forced the issue. For my generation, generally, even in 'religious' Northern Ireland, and since then the 'norm' has been that parents usually stop pressurising their kids to attend round about 12 or so. It usually coincides with confirmation. The general absence of 13 plus teens in churches testifies to that. But I do know some older teens who are told to attend church, and give in rather than have a row about it.

Sincere sympathy, really, for a young man of seventeen (old enough to have sex, earn a wage, get married, leave home, get a licence, smoke) who is being forced to go somewhere he doesn't want to go to every Sunday morning by his mum. Seriously one shouldn't underestimate the power of some parents to exert themselves over their virtually grown-up children.

What I don't understand though is that I did get the impression 103 rather liked the church he went to [Confused] . Which makes me wonder why he's complaining about having no choice about going there [Confused] ? So is it about his mother forcing him to go, and not his own free choice? Does he want to be there or doesn't he?

The dynamic is fascinating. -103 is forced to go to church by his mother. Once there, he's the life and soul of the party: altar-boy, thurifer, gaffer, grip, Mr. Maracas in the Praise Band, Father's right-hand man on the Walsingham Pilgrimage. And then up comes a lady to receive communion....'EAT IT! EAT IT NOW' says Henry, all his frustrations bubbling over in a great geyser of filial misery.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
quote:

Ahh. So which part of the BCP 1662 is it that you find so objectionable (but not, apparently, all the other versions of the BCP).
The 39 articles of religion really make my shudder.
The lack of papish stuff (elevations, latin etc.)

Those things are just off the top of my head, when I find my Book of Common Prayer I'll tell you some more stuff.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...The 39 articles of religion really make my shudder.

Haven't we done this 39 articles game before? Maybe it's a Dead Horse candidate.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Son of a Preacher Man
Shipmate
# 5460

- Posted      Profile for Son of a Preacher Man     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Do they have scratch-and-dent sales for sacraments? Factory irregulars?

Who wants an irregular Jesus?

On second thought, don't answer that....

[ 20. April 2005, 20:11: Message edited by: Son of a Preacher Man ]

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
...The 39 articles of religion really make my shudder.

Haven't we done this 39 articles game before? Maybe it's a Dead Horse candidate.
We have but HT has forgotten.
BCP=BOE

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

BOE?

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The lack of papish stuff (elevations, latin etc.)

That's either Papist or Popish, -103. It's so important to get one's derogatory terms correct.

And I'm afraid if you go looking for Latin in among the Catholics, you're going to be sadly disappointed these days.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
The dynamic is fascinating. -103 is forced to go to church by his mother. Once there, he's the life and soul of the party: altar-boy, thurifer, gaffer, grip, Mr. Maracas in the Praise Band, Father's right-hand man on the Walsingham Pilgrimage. And then up comes a lady to receive communion....'EAT IT! EAT IT NOW' says Henry, all his frustrations bubbling over in a great geyser of filial misery.

Aha! Maybe it was his mother?

(ETA: St Uncumber's beard is off, but I can do you St Peter's doorkey, complete with heavenly rust. Genuine medieval relic, made by skilled craftsmen in Hong Kong. Just let me know.)

[ 20. April 2005, 20:20: Message edited by: Ariel ]

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
103 DOES have other options. He's chosen not to exercise them.

Yes, he does. Just like the person with a gun to their head DOES have the option to accept death rather than do what the holder of the gun says.
Pretty much what I was thinking in the middle of my lunch hour, which is when you posted this, Marvin. I'm not sure I want to make a habit of having the same thought simultaneously with you. [Big Grin]

quote:
We're going to have to disagree on this, then, because short of a parent physically forcing a child to do something (that is, grabbing them and making the motions for them), 103 DOES have other options. He's chosen not to exercise them.

It honestly never occurred to me to push my parents this far when I was a teenager. But by all means, let's agree to disagree so we can all get back to telling 103 what an idiot he is.

quote:

Perhaps when 103 grows up he will be less [Confused] and more consistent in his theology. Or maybe he'll focus all that energy on women he'd like to shag instead of tat.
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
BOE?

Book of Evil, I believe. Our Henry does not like it.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
And I'm afraid if you go looking for Latin in among the Catholics, you're going to be sadly disappointed these days.

It's easier to find than it was. And I think we will see more of it in the days to come. The Pope is said to consider it A Good Thing.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016