homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago, before the chapel was blessed, I did some exploring of the website and somewhere on it I read that while he was waiting to be moved into the chapel Jesus was occupying one of the empty cells of the new building. The Monks had put his name on the door just as they put their names on their own cell doors.

Maybe that's it? We know that Jesus is sociable and likes being with people, and perhaps he's just got tired of sitting in somewhere that looks like an underground garage being glowered at over the altar by a pair of triffids. My guess is he's moved back to his cell and is hanging out happily with the Monks.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The triffids are gone!

Question is, have they been moved or have they gone of their own accord and if so, where? [Paranoid]

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I am not very much mistaken the triffids popped to the local chandlers to pick up some new candles, which are now in situ, and then popped round the back for a smoke.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, God......bring on the Nuns soon!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the triffids have given up now and have probably gone off to terrorise some other religious community...
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Cross!!!

A cross, a cross!!!

The excitement is too much, is Jesus going to make an appearence??

A cross, a cross!!!

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a very... um... small cross isn't it? I mean in the sense of "blink and you'd miss" small.

Still, at least we know the munx are reading the Ship and are keen to prove that it's not a Blessed Sacrament Websham.

Cc

--------------------

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

I remember that cross - it made its appearance ages ago, and then disappeared again fairly fast. Have the triffids been holding it to ransom and tried to flee with it, only to be overtaken by the police and forced to hand it back to the Monks? Or did a Monk put it down somewhere when he was polishing it and then couldn't find it again?
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it appeared after Easter Sunday and stayed throught Octave of Easter.

Perhaps the Monks have their own kalendar and ordo. I don't recognize any pattern here, but I'm a total amateur.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Perhaps the Monks have their own kalendar and ordo. I don't recognize any pattern here, but I'm a total amateur.

Sure wish they'd resume their online audio files of the Liturgy of the Hours. Or that some monastery would broadcast theirs (Holy Cross Monastery in Chicago has plans to resume theirs, but there's been no sign of that happening lately).
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
I remember that cross - it made its appearance ages ago, and then disappeared again fairly fast. Have the triffids been holding it to ransom and tried to flee with it, only to be overtaken by the police and forced to hand it back to the Monks? Or did a Monk put it down somewhere when he was polishing it and then couldn't find it again?

Is this whole thing a hoax? [Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they let Him out last night, (UK time).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you and good work Ann. [Overused]

You have restored hope to this doubting and troubled soul.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Should one genuflect to the monitor when viewing this?

Cc

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be seemly and edifying to do so.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was worried about this a while back; dj_ordinaire kindly put my mind at rest then, now you are disturbing me again.

--------------------
Ann

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No need to worry - dj_ordinaire's words are A True Saying And Worthy Of All Men To Be Believed. Thank you for drawing them to our attention!

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Ann! I feel better now.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Well, they let Him out last night, (UK time).

Absolute class. Man, a bit of time in that Chapel would be a nice ending to Pentecost today.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

Aha!

Our lord is out again, in his shiny little monstrance.

I wonder if it is comfortable.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the candles are out, it seems! Is outrage!

The chapel's as dead as a doornail. [Frown]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm picking up the NunPhone (equivalent to the Batphone, the Powerpuff Girls' line to the Mayor's Office and the famouse red phone of the Cold War) to summon help from abroad. This disgrace must not continue!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
This disgrace must not continue!

I hope the nuns are on their way, with supplies of candles - the ones in the chapel still haven't been replaced.

Perhaps the triffids had been conscientious enough to take over after eating the monks, but now they've gone off to munch their way through the next lot of succulent religious there's no one left to care for the chapel until the nuns arrive...

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I don't give much for the triffids' chances if they're still around when the nuns do arrive....

Ian J.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they should call themselves monksoffrustration.org.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm sorry, but triffids simply have NO legitimate place in any remotely Christian establishment.

(Neither do tacky portraits of Jeez, but I digress.)

I think I'll see if any of the Bedfordshire lot would actually be interested in relocation to Flawrida.

(I wouldn't be, but then I don't boat, don't golf, and have a history of skin cancer.)

Ross // equally averse to triffids and Fla.

[ 12. June 2006, 04:46: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the good news is, my sister's on her way to Florida tomorrow morning.

The bad news? She's not a nun.

At least they took Jesus out for a bit of fresh air, right? I really do hope everything's okay with our monks.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

Well, they've let Him out for a breath of fresh air this evening - 5:29 Florida Time (10:29 BST).

--------------------
Ann

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Well, I've finally seen Him.

Bit disappointed really. I expected a bit more, y'know, pzazz. Still there you go.

Cc

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

Come on Cc, this is not a site with pizazz!

(The old house-monastery-chapel was slightly more pizazzful, but only slightly.)

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

No, the wretched undisguised cinder-block construction militates against any facsimile of pizzazz.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Yay! The chapel's been candle-ised, at long last! [Yipee]

And a tiny cross lingering on the top centre of the altar, anew! Hallewhatever!

(They need a woman to look after the chapel, them monks, they do! - She wouldn't let the lights go out, and'd tell 'em off mightily! Oh mama! [Disappointed] )

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

Do you think they deliberately line the Crucifix up so that the cross-bar is in line with the back edge of the altar from the point-of-view of the webcam, or did it happen once by accident and no-one's moved it since?

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Ann, do you think they might have done it just in the hopes of exciting comment from us, and seeing if we're still paying attention?

(It's all about us.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

Well, if I'd let this thread fall off onto page 3, they might have given up altogether, and I couldn't have that on my conscience.

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Ann, yours is a spirit of true saintliness and nobility. [Overused]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Folks - the camera's zoomed in now on the altar. One might even see more details of our Lord, should He (His name be praised!) ever ventured into the opnen again!

[Eek!] [Cool]

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Ewww. They've zoomed on the horrid altar so we can't see the rest of the horrid chapel - and Jesus still isn't out! [Paranoid]

Cc

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But now I can see what Ann was talking about with the horizontal bar of the cross being visually lined up with the edge of the altar.

Does anyone else find the strong elongated shadows cast by the candles distracting/annoying/bad ?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
...Does anyone else find the strong elongated shadows cast by the candles distracting/annoying/bad ?

Yes.

(Love the zoom; it lets me concentrate on the mortar lines between cinder blocks... )

[Roll Eyes]

[ 22. June 2006, 03:32: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need to gather some cash to get the beloved monks a couple of buckets of paint!

[realised that I should probably throw my ten bucks into the Organ Fund, first]

[ 22. June 2006, 18:54: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The picture of OLaSJC isn't much clearer on the Zoom mode.

What sort of outer garment do you think he is wearing? It looks rather oatmeal in colour to me, and I think can see what I guess to be white around his left elbow.

I wouldn't be pondering this representation if the real thing would come out now and again. [Disappointed]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

I'm sure Jesus looked better-dressed in the old chapel; I think it's the murky lighting that gives the horrible homespun effect.

And as for those shadows - I did wonder if they were deliberately meant to lead the eye towards the wall safe, er, tabernacle, but I think that's being a bit optimistic about the Monks' aesthetic sense.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
We need to gather some cash to get the beloved monks a couple of buckets of paint!

[realised that I should probably throw my ten bucks into the Organ Fund, first]

I applaud you: You have your priorities in the right place.

Margaret, I don't think it's safe to assume that the monks HAVE any aesthetic sense. Or if they do, it's a negative sense.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

The munx must be Shipmates - The zoom has gone!

Deo gracias. I truly found it much more depressing than the usual view. If I weren't on the verge of penury, I'd send a few quid for some limewash or plastering or something. Anything to stop it looking like a scene from "Prisoner Cell Block H."

Praying for the munx.

Cc

--------------------

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

And hallelujah, look - Jesus is out! [Angel]
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

quote:
And hallelujah, look - Jesus is out! [Angel]

[Paranoid] Well, hallelujah, He might have been when you posted at 19:04 my time, but He wasn't by 19:15 my time. [Paranoid]

Cc

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

"Oooh", I thought, "Must go and see", I thought.

And all I saw was a monk sneaking out the back (last picture on this page, so far).

--------------------
Ann

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Sorry to raise people's hopes in vain - they don't trust him out on his own for long, do they? Perhaps they think he'll do a runner and go back to the old chapel.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Sorry to raise people's hopes in vain - they don't trust him out on his own for long, do they? Perhaps they think he'll do a runner and go back to the old chapel.

He never WAS very good about staying where he was put.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016