homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with crab apples?
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jelly is really good. Use a food processor if you have one to roughly chop the apples rather than quartering by hand. Wine could be good too - again look for an easy way of crushing the apples - food processor again? TBH anything where the actual fruit processing is not too much like hard work as they are small and fiddly.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Instead of flavouring the jelly with cinnamon you could try cardamoms, and crabapple jelly flavoured with Cointreau is rather nice [Big Grin]

For jelly to accompany meat you could add mint or rosemary (for lamb), or sage (for pork), instead of the spice.
Bottle in small jars unless you eat a lot of meat!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Inspired from the Ecclesiantics thread, but strictly for personal consumption [Biased] )

When I make bread in my breadmaker, using the standard recipes it was supplied with, it ends up being quite a heavy, thick loaf. My friend's (a completely different make of breadmaker it has to be said) comes out light, airy, "like supermarket bread". I've tried her recipe, it doesn't work for me...

ANyway, leaving aside whether you want your bread solid and 'doughy' or light and supermarkety (imho there's a time and place for both), what do I need to do to make it more one than the other? Any really good recipes? I mix up the types of flour, and add in all types of seeds, and use the breadmaker to make dough for pizza, chelsea buns, etc. - but what can I do to the standard loaf to make it more interesting?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fall weather having finally arrived, I'm feeling the urge to mess about in the kitchen again. My grandmother used to almost always have these cookies around the house, and I really liked them. Strange, because I normally don't like butterscotch. I finally made them for myself - it's over 10 years since Grandmother passed away, and a year or two before that since I'd last had them. Being lazy, I spread the dough out in what I think is a half-sheet size pan - about 18" by 24", 3/4" to 1" high lip. Baking time was probably about a half-hour. The edges got a bit crisp, but they taste as good as I remember. IIRC the butterscotch morsels were in about a 12 ounce bag. Hopefully that's the size Grandmother used to get. I might bump it up to a pound next time.

California Ranger Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup oleo (margarine)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 package butterscotch morsels
2 cups Rice Crispies (puffed rice) cereal

Cream: sugars, oleo, and eggs.
Add: baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour
Then add: oatmeal
Last but not least: add butterscotch morsels and Rice Crispies
Drop by teaspoon or form small round balls and put on slightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I said:
Being lazy, I spread the dough out in what I think is a half-sheet size pan - about 18" by 24", 3/4" to 1" high lip.

I started thinking that pan size was wrong, so I actually measured it this morning. It's 11" by 17" ish (closer to 12" by 18" at the top edges).

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those cookies sound good!

Tonight I am making a really good chicken soup. I use Swanson's broth, chicken, noodles, and (depending on my mood) curry or ground cumin. I also like to use carrots and celery, but my husband does not want me to. I am using the macaroni from a generic box of mac and cheese because I do not like the generic version.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother (RIP) made some really good cookies around Christmas called Heavenly bars. They have graham cracker crust, semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut, butter and brown sugar. Sorry but I cannot remember the portions of the ingredients.

The restaurant I work in makes an awesome drink called the Ruby Relaxer. It has an ounce of vodka, an ounce of rum (sometimes coconut), Peach Schnapps, grenadine, pineapple juice, orange juice. An ounce of each ingredient. Sometimes they use cranberry juice. It is really good.

[ 17. October 2007, 15:24: Message edited by: Beautiful_Dreamer ]

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:
My mother (RIP) made some really good cookies around Christmas called Heavenly bars. They have graham cracker crust, semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut, butter and brown sugar. Sorry but I cannot remember the portions of the ingredients.

Are they these?

HEAVENLY BARS
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (6 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (3 1/2 oz.) sliced coconut
1 c. walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Spread evenly. Pour condensed milk over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients. Press down flat gently. Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Cool in refrigerator for 1/2 hour. Cut into bars.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:

Are they these?

HEAVENLY BARS
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (6 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (3 1/2 oz.) sliced coconut
1 c. walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Spread evenly. Pour condensed milk over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients. Press down flat gently. Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Cool in refrigerator for 1/2 hour. Cut into bars.

Oh yeah! Those are indeed heavenly! The recipe used in our family has butterscotch chips in addition to the chocolate chips.
Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ferijen said:
quote:
When I make bread in my breadmaker, using the standard recipes it was supplied with, it ends up being quite a heavy, thick loaf. My friend's (a completely different make of breadmaker it has to be said) comes out light, airy, "like supermarket bread". I've tried her recipe, it doesn't work for me...

This may be because you live in a 'hard water area'. I do, and have to add an extra 20 mls water whenever I use my breadmaker. The manual for mine suggests between 10 and 20 mls extra, so you may need to fiddle about for a while before you find the right amount. Also, does the yeast your friend uses have added ascorbic acid (vitamin C)? If it does and yours doesn't that may be the reason her bread comes out lighter than yours.

[Repaired code. Mamacita, Heavenly Host]

[ 18. October 2007, 03:35: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made a large pot of vegetable soup for a group of about 25 Wednesday. I cannot believe they are still talking about it, as it was dead simple to make.

In a 2.5 gallon soup pot, I used (going on memory here):

64 oz (1/2 gal.) V-8 juice
2 large cans cut green beans
4 cans chopped tomatoes in juice (no salt added)
3 cans diced potatoes
3 cans sliced carrots
3 cans lima beans
3 cans green peas
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 large can mushrooms (pieces and stems)
1 large can tomato paste

I started about 10:30am with the V-8 and 1 can each of green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and limas (with the liquid from each can), and brought it to a boil, than reduced to simmer. I repeated adding these ingredients until the pot was full. Then I put in the spices. Stir every half hour or so. As it simmered down, I kept adding until all the vegetables were in the pot. (I reckon nearly a half gallon of liquid boiled off.) About an hour before dinner (at 6:00pm) I added the mushrooms and the tomato paste.

Served with whole wheat saltines.

[ETA: not all of my recipes involve cats. [Razz] ]

[ 19. October 2007, 20:23: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I want to make a recipe that calls for vanilla sugar. I don't have any.

Can anyone tell me how much vanilla extract to use in the recipe that calls for a cup of vanilla sugar?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To make vanilla sugar you leave a vanilla pod in a jar of caster sugar for a few days. It takes less time if the pod is cut up. You can alternatively add ordinary sugar and vanilla extract (preferably proper extract and not chemical flavouring) in most recipes, but how much depends on the recipe. You could try adding vanilla extract to taste perhaps.

Hope that's helpful.

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

a faster way to make vanilla sugar is here

This recipe uses 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to replace 1/2 cup vanilla sugar.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This week in my fruit and veg box I got some sweetcorn. I love the stuff but have never cooked myself. What's the best way to cook it?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that the stuff still on the cob? Drop it in boiling, lightly salted water and cook until it looks good enough to eat. 6 minutes should do it.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmm, corn on the cob... Don't forget to put lots of butter on it after it's cooked and before you eat it, preferably with garlic and/or pepper and/or salt. Olive oil is quite a good substitute for butter, but for some reason doesn't provide quite such unctuous messiness!
Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If your corn on the cob is still wrapped in its husks you can put it straight in the microwave, propped in a bowl for 3-5 minutes - to taste, then peel, carefully and serve.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can also grill your corn on the cob - turn it from time to time until it's bright yellow all over, it only takes a few minutes on a medium heat.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still in the cob... and I know lots of butter is essential. Might cook it for tea tonight!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am in search of the perfect molasses/ginger cookie. By perfect I am referring to the chewiness factor. Not cakey. Not crisp or crunchy or crumbly. Not soft and squishy. Chewy. I want it to fight back when you bite into it. I've given up on one recipe (after baking it straight once and modifying it once (which did make it more chewy, but not chewy enought). I have a couple of others to try from various cookbooks and from shipmate Pearl. If anybody has a recipe for the chewiest of chewiest chewy molasses cookies, I'd love to try it out!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well it is time for pumpkins, and I have just made some pumpkin soup and carved ours.

I have no idea what quantities I used, I tend to add things until they look about right.

----
I started with the pumpkin flesh, after gouging enough of this out I put it in a decent sized pot, added loads of butter, a tiny amount of boiled water, salt pepper, and marigold bouillon.

I sweated it for ages, attempting to mash it every now and again, when I could mash it, it was ready to start adding more.

I put a squeeze of garlic paste in, two large spoons of wholegrain mustard, a dollop(see what I mean about not doing precise measurements) of double cream. I grated in a little parmesan, just enough to flavour it.

Then I added some whole milk, stirred everything in, and used a hand blender to turn it into a smooth, thick paste, That done I just had to add water and milk until it was at the right constituency, and adjust the seasoning a bit.
---

I'd be interested in knowing how other people do it. Last time I made this I didn't use the parmesan, but I did stick a little brandy in.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jacoba
Shipmate
# 3192

- Posted      Profile for Jacoba   Email Jacoba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About Corn on the cob I thought it shouldn’t have salt in the water when it is boiled but lemon juice.

I haven’t read all of this thread yet, so sorry if this is a repeat but I’m after sugarless jam and marmalade recipes preferably not using sorbitol, I thuink fruit juice is used among other things.

Thanks Jacoba

Posts: 80 | From: The Black Country Kitchen | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight I baked a couple of mackerels stuffed with raspberries. Lovely!

they were cut open and gutted and I just pushed some rasperries in. Engough so many of them spilled out before they were cooked. Put them on a dish. Sliced a large onion and covered it with that. A few spots of butter on top (hardly any - its an oily fish - its just to get the onion cooking right).Really nice.

The only problem is, at this time of year the raspberries cost more than the fish. Over twice as much in fact - the fish ere only about 60p each.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief, did you try this recipe?

Soft and chewy molasses cookies

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the cookie recipe I like, Mousethief. Be sure you're not overbaking them. I cook them on a baking stone.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! I'll try them both. Give me a few days!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
This is the cookie recipe I like, Mousethief. Be sure you're not overbaking them. I cook them on a baking stone.

Grits, do you always use fresh ginger? Can you substitute powdered (or whatever you call the stuff in the spice jar)?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Tonight I baked a couple of mackerels stuffed with raspberries.

Any killer recommendations for sea bream?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well my default tendency with any fish I'm not familiar with is simply to grill them (or possibly bake them) natural and whole with no additions at all. So I see how they do. Obviously you have to pay attention in order to turn them at the right moment and get them out when cooked. (Which is more or less when they smell right, though for all but the largest fish will be roughly when the skin starts to crisp up and char, and when the eyes are opaque)

Then eat with the potatoes and onions and mushrooms you convenently remembered to cook earlier. And whatever green stuff you have, and maybe some lemon juice or any acid fruit.

Gooseberries are good (slurp)

And ground black pepper does no harm.

There may be fish that doesn't taste good when plainly grilled, baked, or barbecued and eaten with onions, mushrooms,lemon, and pepper (with or woithout green veg) but I haven't yet been lucky enough to come across it.

Sauces and so on can come later.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grilled 'em eventually. With a Jamacian dry rub of spices and a good squidging of lime juice. Saute potato wedges to accompany. 'sallright.

For everyone out there in need of comfort food, here's an easy risotto.

Chop and fry onions until they soften. Add risotto rice and turn for a minute or two with the onions. Splash on some white wine or vermouth and turn for another minute or two. Pour on vegetable stock and leave for 15 or 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid (top up if necessary). Tip in some frozen peas and ribbons of cooked ham and stir until heated through. Serve with way too much grated Gran Padano and black pepper.

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Grilled 'em eventually. With a Jamacian dry rub of spices and a good squidging of lime juice. Saute potato wedges to accompany. 'sallright.

For everyone out there in need of comfort food, here's an easy risotto.

Chop and fry onions until they soften. Add risotto rice and turn for a minute or two with the onions. Splash on some white wine or vermouth and turn for another minute or two. Pour on vegetable stock and leave for 15 or 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid (top up if necessary). Tip in some frozen peas and ribbons of cooked ham and stir until heated through. Serve with way too much grated Gran Padano and black pepper.

May I recommend the edition of a knob of butter along with the cheese. - Oh look I just did.

It gives the risotto that glossy look and adds to the taste a little. Especially if one was good and fried the onions in just oil.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... and, if you have some, a spoonful of [full fat] Creme Fraiche - it does nowt for your arteries but tastes wonderful!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
May I recommend the edition of a knob of butter along with the cheese. - Oh look I just did.

[tangent class=pedant]
Is that edition an addition to the recipe? [Razz]
[/tangent]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Grits, do you always use fresh ginger? Can you substitute powdered (or whatever you call the stuff in the spice jar)?

The powdered is fine, and I actually cut it way back, as I am no fan of ginger.

[ 30. October 2007, 03:45: Message edited by: Grits ]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been asked on the Inane Thread to post my really, really simple but delicious pasta recipe so here I go.

Get some pasta and cook it.

Whilst it is cooking, or before if you are using fresh pasta, peel quite a lot of garlic, but not too much.

In pan melt some butter with some olive oil and cook garlic slowly until it begins to brown.

Drain pasta when cooked and add to the pan with the garlic and oil mix.

Toss together.

Drizzle over a little really good olive oil.

Serve.

You can add fresh black pepper and some freshly grated pecorino [or parmesan or both] if you wish but try it without first.

Quantities you will have to judge for yourselves but it will be a fun experiment.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Talking of garlic, I gather from watching food porn on TV that the a la mode thing in the chefing community is to roast whole heads of the stuff. You then squeeze the individual cloves into whatever divine sauce you are rustling up.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I do scattter unpeeled cloves in the tin when I'm roasting lamb or chicken.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The theory is, I think, that if roasted whole you get all the flavour with less smelly breath.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
The theory is, I think, that if roasted whole you get all the flavour with less smelly breath.

Other way round - it keeps the volatiles inside the garlic. So it adds less flavour to whatever you cook with it, but puts more of the healthgiving lovliness into your mouth when you eat it.

--------------------
Ken

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am trying a new recipe. A stuffed pumpkin. Take a sweet pumpkin cut off the top and scrape out the seeds. Prick the inside with a fork and salt it. Fill with a ground buffalo, onion, rice, egg mixture and bake. Pata is not to thrilled with it being stuffed into a pumpkin so we shall see how it works.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A mixed review of the stuffed pumpkin. I liked it but Pata thought it was to bland. Perhaps garlic would have helped. On the other hand it is definitely a presentation piece. It looked great and stayed together when I sliced it into quarters. I should have sliced into sixths I think.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Talking of garlic, I gather from watching food porn on TV that the a la mode thing in the chefing community is to roast whole heads of the stuff. You then squeeze the individual cloves into whatever divine sauce you are rustling up.

Or you squeeze individual cloves onto crusty bread you've dipped in seasoned olive oil. Yow!

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Tonight I baked a couple of mackerels stuffed with raspberries. Lovely!

Sounds wonderful!

I've always cooked pork with fruit, but never thought of doing that with fish. But I've had halibut with berries when eating out during berry season, and I loved it.

And MouseThief makes a wonderful dish out of salmon and apples. Slice a couple of crisp, tart apples into thick slices. Cover the bottom of a baking dish with the apple slices. Place the salmon fillet on top of the apple slices. Drizzle the top of the salmon with a generous amount of melted butter and lemon juice, then top with a layer of brown sugar. Bake.

It's delicious!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

Another suggestion for vegan buffets, guacamole, which is even easier than humous, as it can be done with the back of a fork.

We made it at the 'quin, the cafe I "worked" at other the summer. We used a nice healthy dollop of salsa, a queeze of garlic and the juice of half a lime, plus salt, for every two avocado's. It was one of our most popular foodstuffs. (More so than the cakes).

A suggestion for mass catering is spicy rice mess. (I refuse to call it risotto, because I didn't use risotto rice.)

Roast some peppers in chunks, you want them to go black at the edges.

Fry up some onion, also in nice big chunks. Finely chop some hot pepper, or chilli, and fry that too, with a bit of garlic and some seasonings. Then toss in the black edged roasted peppers

Then toss the whole thing into a soup warmer with 100-125g of rice per person, plus double that quantity of stock, and a few tins of tomatoes.

Put the warmer on low-medium, and bugger of to a lecture, come back a few hours later, stir(really, really well), turn up if necessary. The rice should be ready in about an hour and a half, leave yourself a bit of leeway though.

Serve with grated cheese for thems as wants it.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Anyone (in the UK) watching the Heston Blumenthal series?

Last night, it was Pekin Duck, which involved interesting things like inflating the duck with an air pump (it separates skin from flesh so that it crisps more) and double broth - make a stock with half your ingredients, strain, then tip in the other half and do the whole thing again, THEN freeze the result and thaw it very slowly through muslin.

I was watching not least because I have a duck which I was going to use this w/end for two dishes - one crispy roast type, one cassoulet-ish.

Anyone got any tips on either? (preferably not involving a trip to China, or processes so lengthy I should have started them six weeks ago).

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

"Soup Warmer"???? [Confused]

--------------------
Ken

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was watching Alton Brown's "Good Eats" and he did a whole episode devoted to toast, called "Toast Modern" he did a recipe for French toast, brushetta, Welsh rarebit or is it rabbit etc, I didn't know in the UK French toast is called "poor knights of Windsor". You learn something new everyday. I knew of the French name "pain perdu"
and in Spanish "torrijas" or "pan de Santa Teresa".

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken: "Soup Warmer"???? [Confused]
I was assuming a slow cooker, as that's what I would use, but at a low temperature.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

Apologies:

A soup warmer is a large double boiler affair. e.g. an electrically heated pot in which you place water, with a second pot to be placed inside, surrounded by the water. It isn't a fully fledged slow cooker, for a start the lid isn't quite as good. It is mainly designed to have cooked food decanted into, for the purposes of keeping it warm. e.g. Soup. However, it can be used for some cooking at a push. especially for something like rice which just needs to be left alone. I'm hoping to try more modest quantities (I used a couple of kilos of rice when I made it above) in a slow cooker, at some stage.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016