homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TIME: 00:00
TEMPERATURE: 0 deg C
WIND DIRECTION: none
WIND SPEED: 0 mph
WIND GUST: 0 mph
VISIBILITY: zero

It will be very amusing if this is closer to the truth than any of the "serious" answers [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, here we go.

Exeter next Tuesday.

Time :6 am
Temperature: a crisp 9 degrees Celsius
Wind Direction: SW
Wind Speed : 15 mph
Gust: 27 MPH
Visibility: good

All in all a lovely day if your a local and used to pommy weather. Now don't rain on my parade Quizzy.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, interesting round.

Time: 0400
Temp: 9C
Wind Direction: SW
Wind Speed: 15mph
Wind Gust: 30mph
Visibility: Good

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TIME: 10.00 am
TEMPERATURE: 11°C
WIND DIRECTION: SW
WIND SPEED: 14mph
WIND GUST: 30mph
VISIBILITY: Good

[ 02. October 2008, 11:07: Message edited by: Caty. ]

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
".... I don't knoe whyyyy.. there's no sun up in the skyyyy.. Stormy weatherrrr..." .... Oh,... sorry.

Ah, yesss. Let's look into my crystal ball..... Exeter,... yesss.

Time: 5 pm.
Temp: 15 C
Wind Direction: due West
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind Gust: 24 mph
Visibility: fair

That's all for now. Tune in at six for another report from World Weather Watch.

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time: 2pm
Temp: 17 C
Wind Direction: Due W
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind Gust: 26 mph
Visibility: Fair.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, here's my guesses:

Time: 1000
Temperature: 10°C
Wind direction: SSE
Wind speed: 16 mph
Gust speed: 25 mph
Visibility: Poor

I'm not sure that Devon's done anything good to me in the past, but here's hoping it comes through this time...

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TIME: 02:37
TEMPERATURE: 4.5674 C
WIND DIRECTION: 23.5565 degrees (ish)
WIND SPEED: 3.14159 mph
WIND GUST: 20.0000001 mph
VISIBILITY: none (it's still dark at that time, obviously)

Additional points for super accuracy, Quizzy?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TIME: 1100
TEMP: 17 c (62.6 F)
WIND DIRECTION: WSW
WIND SPEED: 37km/hr (23 mph)
WIND GUSTS: 32.2 km/hr (20 mph)
VISIBILITY: POOR

Chance of rain: at least 80%

Actually what is the base rate for weather forecasters that we are going against? Anyone know?

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TIME: 1300
TEMP: 16 c
WIND DIRECTION: NW
WIND SPEED: 30 mph
WIND GUSTS: 45 mph
VISIBILITY: POOR

Driving rain squalls from the remnants of Extratropical storm system Laura.

Just sharing the love! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:

As wind speed is a measure of a persistent rate, while gusts are brief but unsustained fluctuations in excess of that, I think you're unlikely to be right with both of these. But maybe it's just a clever way of hedging your bets. [Smile]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
So, here's my guesses:

Time: 1000
Temperature: 10°C
Wind direction: SSE
Wind speed: 16 mph
Gust speed: 25 mph
Visibility: Poor

I'm not sure that Devon's done anything good to me in the past, but here's hoping it comes through this time...

At first I thought 1000 was the temperature not the time. I decided that would tht would take a lot of coming through from Devon.*

*For you. Wouldn't be so kind to the inhabitants

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
time: 8am
Temperature: 9C
wind direction: SW
Wind Speed: 10mph
Visability: Good

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
time: 8am
Temperature: 9C
wind direction: SW
Wind Speed: 10mph
Visability: Good

I forgot Wind Gusts: 12.5mph

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also Rans...do any of you need anything? [Smile] Ice? Cushions? Air Horns? [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Devon: Gateway to Cornwall. Or is there anything else that's good about it?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tut, tut - I'll have you know we are the cream. [Razz]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are right Hart,

There is nowhere nice in Devon.

I wouldn't live there!

[Razz]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Tut, tut - I'll have you know we are the cream. [Razz]

The cream indeed.

(I'll get me coat.)

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, err, sorry to interrupt here - and I know I'm about three weeks late (punctuality isn't my strong point) but I think just to keep my sanity and give myself something else to do, I might pop up as an also ran in the next round if that's ok.

I know. It's been a while, and I can't sleep, so I'm finally getting round to it!

Annie smiles and winks at Quizzie. Better late than never dear, yes?

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Also Rans...do any of you need anything? [Smile] Ice? Cushions? Air Horns? [Biased]

Are there any cream teas available?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, by my reckoning doublethink and cuppa are out for failing to post.

So it really won't matter what the weather is like in Exeter, well, except for the people who are actually there.

I'm still adjusting to living somewhere where the temperature fluctuates by around 20 degrees C every day. What the heck am I meant to wear? Of course when it's consistently minus 40 for 4 months I might appreciate some change [Ultra confused]

When are we having that tropical Quizmeet again?? [Biased]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone who's ever spent any time in the close neighbourhood of the Quizmaster will know that wind gusts can be of immeasurable strength and can happen at any moment. However, they will be assured of a warm atmosphere (if occasionally stormy, often from an Atlantic direction as a result of constant pressure).

I wouldn't have the audacity of that P woman to suggest I join as an also-ran after three rounds of solid hard work by the industrious competitors, but I guess I could be an also-occasionally-impudently-limped-along-at-the-tail-end. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:
So, by my reckoning doublethink and cuppa are out for failing to post.

They've got another few days yet.

From Quizmaster's post describing the round:

quote:
I will match your entry with the relevant time on Tuesday 7th October

[ 03. October 2008, 10:47: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Also in Quizmaster's post describing the round:
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
You have until midnight on Thursday 2nd October UK time to post your entry.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

A minor detail. [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

As wind speed is a measure of a persistent rate, while gusts are brief but unsustained fluctuations in excess of that, I think you're unlikely to be right with both of these. But maybe it's just a clever way of hedging your bets. [Smile]
Ok, ok, after posting about "base rates" I did need to be shown that I know nothing, nothing, nothing about weather.
[Hot and Hormonal]
But I will take the proffered slim reed and say I was hedging my bets.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Are there any cream teas available?
There are now! [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
But I will take the proffered slim reed and say I was hedging my bets.

That's the idea. In any case, unless I've missed something or Quizmaster reveals some cunning twist (either of which are entirely possible), it looks like we're all safe thanks to the non-posters.

--------------------

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Anyone who's ever spent any time in the close neighbourhood of the Quizmaster will know that wind gusts can be of immeasurable strength and can happen at any moment. However, they will be assured of a warm atmosphere (if occasionally stormy, often from an Atlantic direction as a result of constant pressure).

I wouldn't have the audacity of that P woman to suggest I join as an also-ran after three rounds of solid hard work by the industrious competitors, but I guess I could be an also-occasionally-impudently-limped-along-at-the-tail-end. [Big Grin]

lol - very good my dear. Perhaps we could be the muppets on the side...

I have been in Exeter on various occasions, wind, sun, rain.... Who know's what it'll be like? This summer it was tipping it down, so no double lock experiences for us. [Frown]

I'll give this round a miss, and join in at the next one. Mind out for the penguin... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you Statler or Mr. Waldorf?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am throwing myself upon the Quizmaster's mercy with a late entry ...

Time: 14.00
Temperature: 7 C
Wind Direction: S
Wind Speed: 6 mph
Wind Gust: 34 mph
Visability: Poor

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliminated for failing to post:
CuppaT

Lucky to be in the competition and only because CuppaT failed to post: Doublethink

QUALIFIERS
Angel Wrestler
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Flags_Fiend
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim

Now I really must look at those Smart Points.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Hey there are other important categories too, QM!

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
Perhaps we could be the muppets on the side...

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Are you Statler or Mr. Waldorf?

Oooooh--I miss Statler and Waldorf! You're making me nostalgic for those Sunday evenings of my childhood spent in front of a cheap television set with very lousy reception (even with the extra twisted coat-hanger antenna), and my brother and sisters circled all around... ah, good times!

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my! You've just reminded me of church youth group Sunday afternoons, when we'd go round to a different house each week, have tea and watch the Muppet Show. (Not very overtly Christian, but all the more fun for that.)

I think the Knockout Quiz is a perfect example of the madness of the Muppet Show and we AlsoRans comment so well from the balcony!

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND TEN : SHARE TRADING

It is time for the annual Share Trading to take place and you will have to join the league that I have just set up in order to be part in the contest.

Check out the following site:

Share Trading

Once you have signed up check the menu on the left for the "Your League Options" button.

You will need to join the league KOQ08 and you must use the relevant password which is FOOLSHIP.

The person who is bottom of the table at the end of the week will be eliminated.

So to summarise:
1. Find the site
2. Join the site
3. Join the KOQ08 league
4. Trade to win

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least one participant has an advantage if she wishes to use it. [Devil]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The Stock market [Eek!] What on earth do I know about that?! [Help]

I shall have to resort to my mantra for life: "Google is my friend".... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

jedijudy

# 333

May I suggest that folks joining make sure that the password is entered in lower case letters! (It does not like all caps!)

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was very weird trying to think in pounds sterling! [Eek!]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

First we have to "forecast" the weather, now we are trading stocks. Will it be magic wands on the next round?
[Help]

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Won't make any difference for me if I think in pounds sterling or base Zagod!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{Sending lazily--via semaphore, dolphins, and a relay of owls--from an Also-Ran island retreat near Wonder Woman's Paradise Island.}

My compound is Compound W.

W is the 22nd letter of the alphabet, and there is only one letter in the compound, so:

22/1=22

{Sips frothy coconut drink and eats bonbons.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I probably can't join until the end of the week.
This may be a distinct advantage [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am away and probably without internet access until late Thursday. If that's too late I will have to drop out.
Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

My alsoRan entry is to buy shares in Bradford and Bingley. Well, nobody else wants them.....

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I'm taking comfort from this article from a few years ago, about picking stocks. All i need now is to find a dart board.

(tidied up excess posting by Surfing Madness - whose name will be changed at the next amnesty, as punishment, to Posting Madness. [Biased] )

[ 06. October 2008, 18:10: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, they have trebled already! [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK have logged in, found the league and placed my first order.

Now to wait....

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016