homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I've sgined up, invested and lost over £4000 already (thank goodness I'm an also ran!). Does it update in realtime, or do I need to wait until tomorrow now to see any changes?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{Helpfully suggested in an Also-Ran sort of way, from the shores of Paradise Island.}

The Motley Fool. "To Educate, Amuse, and Enrich."

Socially-responsible investing--Co-op America.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Help]

I'm registered, have chosen my stocks, and thought I'd entered in the information to buy them but when I view my portfolio, it says I have no stocks. What am I doing wrong? How do I buy the stocks?

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh... never mind. I see that the market is closed. Hmmm... 6 hour time differenc? I hope tomorrow morning isn't too late.

--------------------
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
I hope tomorrow morning isn't too late.

If it is, you won't be the only one in that pickle!

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

Maybe if we offered one of these pickles to Quizmaster he'd let us stay.

(QM, you are a he, aren't you????) [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
(unknown)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have decided to buy mainly chocolate and sugar, mmmmmmmmm chocolate ....

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angel Wrestler and chicklegirl, Quizmaster didn't specify a time you had to sign up by. Just that the bottom of the table at the end of the week would be eliminated. That being the case, you've done well to miss out on today's collapse. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
So to summarise:
1. Find the site
2. Join the site
3. Join the KOQ08 league
4. Trade to win

To clarify, Quizzy, does point 4 mean that someone who creates an account but sits on their starting £100,000 without trading is deemed not to have taken part in this round?

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having attended his wedding, I can assure you that QM is a he. He looked lovely in a long white dress.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
To clarify, Quizzy, does point 4 mean that someone who creates an account but sits on their starting £100,000 without trading is deemed not to have taken part in this round?

I would hope so since this week it appears that the optimal strategy would be to hold cash. Whoever loses the least this week would probably win the round. Unfortunately, the rule is completely unenforceable unless he sets some minimum investment amount. One need only purchase a share of some .05p stock at the end of the week to win. But since the goal of this round, as ever is not to lose, that shouldn't matter much. On the other hand, the sentence, "The person who is bottom of the table at the end of the week will be eliminated," depends critically on exactly which direction the table is sorted. [Biased]

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe I lead the pack for the bottom of the Stock Market game! [Help]

I think everyone else is safe.

Hey...I'm already in the SkyBox making tea and eating barbecue! Well, it's not really BBQ, but good grilled food, thanks to rugasaw! [Big Grin]

[ETA a word]

[ 06. October 2008, 21:48: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nutmeg I think your portfolio dropped. I could have sworn that you could have started with over 100,000 thanks to a previous game(koq 2005). And Jedi, you might want to use a new log-in. Otherwise, you use the amount in your last account from 2005 which is less than what others are starting at.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the way, are we going to find out who did best at guessing Exeter's weather tomorrow?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
I would hope so since this week it appears that the optimal strategy would be to hold cash.

Yup. As you can see from the fact that I have the second largest portfolio, but I'm 14th.

quote:

Whoever loses the least this week would probably win the round.

Well, rugasaw actually managed to make 5K GBP yesterday. If he keeps this up, he'll be able to retire from the KOQ and live off his earnings as a night* trader.

--
* Given where he lives, and the fact that he should stick to the London exchange.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
On the other hand, the sentence, "The person who is bottom of the table at the end of the week will be eliminated," depends critically on exactly which direction the table is sorted. [Biased]

And, indeed, on which field. I just sorted by trader, and it looks like Surfing Madness is in the relegation zone! [Big Grin]

There was a brief bounce this morning, with the market gaining 100 points, but now everyone seems to have started selling again, and we're back to no change.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
None of my investments seem to be doing anything today, so I've started playing with the fantasy FX (foreign exchange) as well. This appears to move every minute or 2 and is a great fun way of losing your fantasy money - would anyone care to join me?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can it only be coincidence that QM chooses to start the share trading round, and immediately the FTSE drops by 391 points in one of the worst daily performances since it was created?

Someone should have notified the Chancellor that this round was starting up again. He could have made preparations. Instead the KOQ08 has damned the stock markets and plunged the country deeper into recession.

Oops.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Nutmeg I think your portfolio dropped. I could have sworn that you could have started with over 100,000 thanks to a previous game(koq 2005). And Jedi, you might want to use a new log-in. Otherwise, you use the amount in your last account from 2005 which is less than what others are starting at.

I reset it, back to the 100,100 pound sterling you start with. I didn't lose that much money overnight.. [Roll Eyes] .

The aussie banks dropped interest rates by 1% today, and there is some hint that it may be part of a co-ordinated world wide move. If that is the case banking stocks could be good buying...

Of course I could be wrong too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They have newspapers in London too. Basically, if you know it, so does the market, so the share price will already have adjusted by the time you get round to buying.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's beyond me. I've found the site and I've joined the site, but I've got no idea how to find and join our league. HELP!!

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Go to your league options (11th in the Member Options list), and you'll have the option to join a league. Click on K, and scroll down to KOQ08, then follow Quizzy's instructions.

--------------------

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you GG.

--------------------

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

How can I go wrong! I've invested all my money in chocolate, tobacco & beer!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
I reset it, back to the 100,100 pound sterling you start with.

ooh, how did you do that?
I've logged in with my account from back in '05 and have aout half as much "worth" as everyone else [Eek!]

edited to add

except now that I look at my portfolio, and then back again at the league, the shares I "bought" 3 years ago have doubled in price and I'm now yards ahead of everyone else. [Yipee] [Overused]

[ 07. October 2008, 20:23: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huh, lost a thousand - how the hell do you lose a thousand on chocolate and sugar ?!?

I shall be conservative, I shall buy gold - I refuse to believe gold will lose value in a monetary crisis.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

OK; I'm in!

I bought 600 shares total of Speedy Hire and 300 shares of Tesco. My daughter is kicking me off the computer [Mad] , so I'll have to post how well they did later on this evening or tomorrow.

--------------------
(unknown)

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
...Well, rugasaw actually managed to make 5K GBP yesterday. If he keeps this up, he'll be able to retire from the KOQ and live off his earnings as a night* trader.

--
* Given where he lives, and the fact that he should stick to the London exchange.

I should note that I made 5,000 pounds since 2005. I got started early on this round. [Biased]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
I should note that I made 5,000 pounds since 2005. I got started early on this round. [Biased]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. [Roll Eyes]
Just go ahead and rub it in. [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
How can I go wrong! I've invested all my money in chocolate, tobacco & beer!

Hell of a lot more fun than buying shares. [Big Grin]

I'll be able to join eventually... [Frown]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

[Sneaky underhand thought]

Is there a rule preventing us from resetting our accounts when we make huge losses, and getting back to the relative wealth of £100,000?

[/Sneaky underhand thought]

(Not that anyone taking part in this quiz would be so low and unsporting as to consider such a thing, of course. No, never.)

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{Also-Ran entry, while enjoying a leisurely breakfast with Xena, Gabrielle, and Wonder Woman on Paradise Island.}

My moon is the Apollo 17 moon buggy. It sits on the surface of Earth's moon, and is about 3 meters high.

[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

[Killing me] Golden Key!

Under "non-stressed" in the dictionary is your picture! [Razz]

--------------------

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

OH NO! I've over-indulged in tobacco, beer, wine and chocolate! Now I'm suffering the consequences!..... Forgive me Lord, for I have lead a sinful life....

[ 08. October 2008, 13:10: Message edited by: the pilgrim ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Hey! We never did get yesterday's weather report! So, what was it like? Were any of us close?

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Guys, real life is piling up on me this week, and I haven't yet done any trading. It is likely I will wind up an also ran; if so, I will pop in and play when i can.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think by not trading you have the best chance of not becoming an also ran, Genevieve. Those of us trading are losing money rapidly! So you could be better off!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

Oh, for those BOOM days of the nineties....

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:
I think by not trading you have the best chance of not becoming an also ran, Genevieve. Those of us trading are losing money rapidly! So you could be better off!

I think we determined that under QM's rules, you had to make at least one trade to qualify. Of course, Genevieve could qualify by just logging on and buying a single share of anything. Even if she buys a big woofing bow-wow like UKC, she can't lose more than she paid for it so she'll still be towards the top of the table.

All that said, the market seems to be recovering a little right now. I know my portfolio's up since yesterday! (Still very much down on Monday though...)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Well, I asked the question, but I don't think we've reached a conclusion on whether buying shares is essential to participation in this round. No doubt Quizmaster will deliver a wise, fair and transparent verdict in due course.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Well, the FTSE's well and truly closed for the week. Does that mean the round's over? If so, who's out?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, could I simply post and stay in the game?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I signed in and tried, even though it is late. I hope I did things right. It's hard to see how anyone could gain these days!

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I even lost money on my gold [Frown]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am a bit obsessional, so I tried to find out what the weather had been in Essex on Tuesday the 7th of October. When you google you discover no-one cares [Frown] It's all forecasts. So in the end I rang a nice young man at the MET office, who clearly thought I needed my head examining to ring him up at twenty past nine on a saturday morning to ask him this. And here is what he told me;

TIME: 13.50
TEMPERATURE: 17 degrees
WIND DIRECTION: 200deg (SW)
WIND SPEED: 26knots (30mph)
WIND GUST: ? (probably gusting to 37mph)
VISIBILITY: Very Good (over 10k)

(He also told me there had been a few showers, it was as if he couldn't quite believe I didn't want to know about the rain.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

So chicklegirl and east price road were probably closest I think. Bet QM is glad he didn't ahve to try to score that one !

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I am a bit obsessional, so I tried to find out what the weather had been in Essex on Tuesday the 7th of October.

Just wondering why Doublethink found out about the weather in Essex when we were predicting the weather for Exeter?

(I'm now wondering if Doublethink will confirm her madness by phoning the met office again to see what was happening in Exeter!!)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I am a bit obsessional, so I tried to find out what the weather had been in Essex on Tuesday the 7th of October.

Just wondering why Doublethink found out about the weather in Essex was when we were predicting the weather for Exeter?

(I'm now wondering if Doublethink will confirm her madness by phoning the met office again to see what was happening in Exeter!!)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliminated for failure to join the trading league:
Caty.
East Price Road
Fletcher Christian

QUALIFIERS:
Angel Wrestler
Chicklegirl
Davelarge
Doublethink
Flags_Fiend
Genevieve
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim

Well done to the Also Rans who joined in - There should be some points in it for you.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

Whheeewww! I never did quite navigate the stock trading website very well.

--------------------
(unknown)

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Well, now we're a sweet sixteen.

For Doublethink to actually score the weather round, she'd need the weather for each time that someone picked. I have a feeling that she might be getting to know that nice person at the Met office a little better!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016