homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Eutychus, previous page

Interesting theory, but without resorting to a decoy theory, I think Trump's moves on immigration might be explainable simply as wanting to get the more populist and controversial parts of his agenda out of the way, so they don't clutter up the rest of his term.

If he keeps the ban in place for three months, or whatever it's supposed to be, and then let's it lapse, his base is still gonna lionize him for the rest of his term as The Guy Who Kicked Out A Bunch Of Muslims. But if he waits year to do it, it gets in the way of whatever else he's trying to do at that time.

I've mentioned elsewhere the former Canadian PM's attempt to move the Tel Aviv embassy to Jerusalem. He tried to do that his first week in office. And you may recall that gays-in-the-military(pretty controversial for its day) was among the very first issues that Bill Clinton addressed. I think Trump's tactic here might be along those lines.

[ 31. January 2017, 15:23: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Trump coming out this morning saying he is going to keep enforcing the Obame EO on LGBTQ rights.

Which is an indication that the Bannon faction is presently more influential with Trump than the Pence faction. As Stetson noted, Bannon and his adherents are fairly indifferent to gay rights.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Much as I dislike a lot of the executive orders coming from Trump's pen, it's not entirely clear to me if the process itself is that wild a departure from previous protocol. The Executive Orders that Trump is vowing to uphold on gay rights, for example, were issued by one man, ie. Barack Obama.

And my ignorance on this topic is genuine, not rhetorical, as I really don't know exactly when and under what circumstances a president can issue executive orders. I did read somewhere that Bush II and Obama amped up the frequency of EOs considerably, so there might be a bit of blame to go around on this.

Executive Orders are essentially the directions that the president gives to the various departments under his control. There's a lot of latitude there, but it's not unlimited. Executive Orders can't violate the Constitution, nor can they be contrary to law. Usually an EO is a president acting within a broad grant of power by Congress. For example, Congress may establish guidelines for immigration and categories for different types of foreign travelers but leaves it to the President (acting through the appropriate agencies) to figure out the fine details.

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
The Emancipation Proclamation and The New Deal were executive orders.

The Emancipation Proclamation was an Executive Order. The New Deal was a series of programs mostly built on new legislation (FDR had a very cooperative Congress in his first term) and administered via Executive Order. For example, Social Security (probably the best known and longest enduring New Deal agency) was established by the Social Security Act of 1935, a bit of Congressional legislation. Abandoning the gold standard was accomplished by a combination of Executive Order and legislation. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (another fairly well-known New Deal program) was established by the Banking Act of 1933. In short, something as far-reaching and intricate as the New Deal could not have been enacted by Executive Order alone.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Which is an indication that the Bannon faction is presently more influential with Trump than the Pence faction. As Stetson noted, Bannon and his adherents are fairly indifferent to gay rights.

It occurs to me that one way to upset the current Presidency is if Trump gets it into his head that a lot of people believe Bannon pulls his strings. If Trump got the idea that Bannon is believed to be using Trump as a sockpuppet I think Bannon would be out.
It depends whether you think a fundamentalist is more or less scary than a fascist.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a suggestion. This thread has become very unwieldy. There are various topics in the last thirty-six pages, but it is hard to keep them all straight. Do we have similar threads about the May government? No, there are separate topics on her decisions, activities, and speeches. Maybe it is time to do the same with the Trump gan--I mean, government. Otherwise, the thread is going to get very long over the next four years if he can survive.

No, if you want to talk about the immigration ban, start a new thread.

If you want to talk about the Democratic Party delaying tactics, start a new thread.

If you want to continue to discuss Steve Bannon's influence on the Orange One, start a new thread.

Just saying.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Every president since Geo. Washington has had the ability to issue executive orders. They aren't quite the same as laws from Congress but can carry weight and (as we've seen) do some damage.

Yup. As was putting people in internment camps in WWII. (Japanese and Aleuts. Not sure if there were any others.)

It's part of the whole "checks and balances" system. And it's all in how you use it, and for what.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Every president since Geo. Washington has had the ability to issue executive orders. They aren't quite the same as laws from Congress but can carry weight and (as we've seen) do some damage.

Yup. As was putting people in internment camps in WWII. (Japanese and Aleuts. Not sure if there were any others.)

It's part of the whole "checks and balances" system. And it's all in how you use it, and for what.

GK, did you mean to imply that I was supporting Trump's use of EO? Or that I was trying to paint a certain picture of EOs.?(Hard to tell) I wasn't. I was simply offering a couple of examples after someone questioned the practice as undemocratic.

sabine

[ 01. February 2017, 02:15: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps wrote:

quote:
No, if you want to talk about the immigration ban, start a new thread.

If you want to talk about the Democratic Party delaying tactics, start a new thread.

If you want to continue to discuss Steve Bannon's influence on the Orange One, start a new thread.

I see your point, but, given how many Trump related issues we're likely to be discussing in the next few years, your suggestion could lead to the front page of the forum harbouring at least a dozen American political threads at any one time.

That said, I could see something like the immigration ban getting its own thread, because it's an issue with significant implications beyond everyday politics. The ideological dialectic between Pence and Bannon, not so much.

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This article from the Atlantic by David Frum is long but free. And utterly terrifying.

The article is utterly terrifying, but is also very informative. For example, it includes the following:

quote:
In the early days of the Trump transition, Nic Dawes, a journalist who has worked in South Africa, delivered an ominous warning to the American media about what to expect. “Get used to being stigmatized as ‘opposition,’ ” he wrote. “The basic idea is simple: to delegitimize accountability journalism by framing it as partisan.”

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sabine--

Oh, no, no, no. Sorry. [Hot and Hormonal] I only meant it as another example. Something on the news, last week, mentioned that an executive order was used to do the internment camps. Given what T is doing, I wanted to include that.

Sorry I did it clumsily.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Ostentatiously quoting myself here:

quote:
My main concern with Trump and gay-rights involves SCOTUS appointments, because he HAS promised to appoint judges who want to discard Roe V. Wade(this likely as a sop to the aforementioned Religious Right), and I would think it almost impossible to find judges who want to overturn abortion rights while keeping gay rights intact.

And see the current headlines. Not sure exactly what, if anything, that appointee has said about gay rights, but the article I saw described him as being the second-closest to Scalia on Trump's short list.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:
This article from the Atlantic by David Frum is long but free. And utterly terrifying.

The article is utterly terrifying, but is also very informative. For example, it includes the following:

quote:
In the early days of the Trump transition, Nic Dawes, a journalist who has worked in South Africa, delivered an ominous warning to the American media about what to expect. “Get used to being stigmatized as ‘opposition,’ ” he wrote. “The basic idea is simple: to delegitimize accountability journalism by framing it as partisan.”

Well, on the face of it, that's pretty much just describing the standard right-wing attitude toward the media, going back at least to Spiro Agnew and the nattering nabobs. Trump might be a little more obnoxious about it, but I don't know if it represents a substantial shift in tactics.

And FWIW, David Frum was a speechwriter for the Bush II administration, where his most notable accomplishment was introducing the phrase "Axis Of Evil" into the political vocabulary. So it's a little funny to see him now posing as the voice of moderation.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Stetson - Thanks for the background. It's either a little funny or alarming, depending on how you look it.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need some information: Some sources unknown to me as verifiable are posting in Another Place that Trump appointee Bannon needs to pass Congressional oversight to sit on the National Security Council. Is this true?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pete--

Possibly. MaryLouise posted about it on the "Trumpton" thread in Hell, and there's a link to the pertinent legal code.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

If you google "Does Bannon need to pass Congressional oversight to sit on the National Security Council" you'll see several articles that point out that technically, Bannon has been appointed to the principals committee rather than the NSC and therefore might not need Congressional approval.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pete--

Possibly. MaryLouise posted about it on the "Trumpton" thread in Hell, and there's a link to the pertinent legal code.

Although I'm not sure this is not just grasping at straws.

This would seem to be the pertinent clause:

(6) the Secretaries and Under Secretaries of other executive departments and of the military departments, when appointed by the President by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to serve at his pleasure.

This refers to secretaries and undersecretaries of executive or military departments, usually subject to confirmation by their nature. Bannon is neither. He'd be down at the bottom -- other people the president designates, or special advisors.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Stetson:

quote:
And FWIW, David Frum was a speechwriter for the Bush II administration, where his most notable accomplishment was introducing the phrase "Axis Of Evil" into the political vocabulary. So it's a little funny to see him now posing as the voice of moderation.
Frankly, when I see people from the Bush era White House backing off muttering "whoah, too rich for my blood!" my instinctive response is to conclude that we are well and truly in the brown and smelly stuff.

To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker the next four years are going to be like The Shawshank Redemption, with lots of tunneling through shit and no redemption.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sabine--

Oh, no, no, no. Sorry. [Hot and Hormonal] I only meant it as another example. Something on the news, last week, mentioned that an executive order was used to do the internment camps. Given what T is doing, I wanted to include that.et tr

Sorry I did it clumsily.

Thanks, GK. I thought maybe this was the case. Plain text can get tricky, esp on long threads with lots of issues. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:

The article is utterly terrifying, but is also very informative.
Thanks, WH. I waded my way through the entire article. It was well worth the read. It provides a good analysis on how the US (and other Western democracies) could slide in the direction of soft totalitarianism. That is if we are not interrupted by WWIII in the process.

[ 01. February 2017, 22:49: Message edited by: molopata ]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Covering Trump the Reuters Way

I think this is a wonderful response to the Trump administration from one of the most important news gatherers in the world.

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this Tl;dr but here goes: We have plenty of experience dealing with administrations like this. Let's just do what we do in places that have always been unfriendly to the press. It works.

On a different tack, I saw a blonde republican state attorney general with a square jaw give a defence of Trump's immigration order on PBS yesterday. He looked like Max Headroom. The weakness of course is blaming the Obama Administration for leaving Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt off the list. Oh, and the whole damn idea in the first place, but the leaving countries out bit is inconsistent within the framework used to justify the ban by Trump and his cronies.

Good Day Sunshine!

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pondering the future of this thread, which is getting multi-faceted and unwieldy as has been observed. Shipmates have absolute freedom to set up separately for serious discussion specific issues which they feel are worthy of some detailed discussion. That will save this thread from becoming a catch-all for serious discussion on anything related to the policies and actions of the new President and/or his administration.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

[ 02. February 2017, 01:42: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

On that topic: I've been looking for the previous version of this thread, the 2016 one, but haven't been able to track it down. My understanding was that it was going to be kept.

Can you provide a link, please?

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barnabas--

On that topic: I've been looking for the previous version of this thread, the 2016 one, but haven't been able to track it down. My understanding was that it was going to be kept.

Can you provide a link, please?

Thanks! [Smile]

I'm obviously not Barnabas, but do you mean this one?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pigwidgeon--

Yes. Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In defence of David Frum, this is not out of step with his recent career. He has for a while now been arguing that the lunatics have taken older the asylum. Or that the GOP sold its soul to the inmates. In many circles he is now viewed a being an apostate.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still remember when David Frum was a Tory hack here in Canada. He's really changed his tune in the last few years; I can only assume this is a result of having seen the disasters his fellow conservatives created on both sides of the border at all levels of government when they had the chance.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may actually be worthy of its own thread: the upcoming plan to alter the law in the US to favor religion. Only Christian religion, I should add.
If this should happen, will it be good for the church? Or not?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Meanwhile, back on T's phone:

"President Trump Warns Mexico He Might Send U.S. Troops to Take Care of 'Bad Hombres'." (AP, via Time)

Both sides are now denying it was any kind of threat. But the report is from the AP, so it's likely to be accurate.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Trump is gutting the regulations put into place after the banking crisis.

Not doing it with a public executive order of course.

How long until his supporters discover nothing has changed and if anything its gotten worse?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
So Trump is gutting the regulations put into place after the banking crisis.

Not doing it with a public executive order of course.

How long until his supporters discover nothing has changed and if anything its gotten worse?

Had they the required intelligence, they would not have voted for him.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
This may actually be worthy of its own thread: the upcoming plan to alter the law in the US to favor religion. Only Christian religion, I should add.

Certainly it will be good for those whose church preaches "My god hates more people than your God."

sabine

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Certainly it will be good for those whose church preaches "My god hates more people than your God."

sabine

Here's an interesting take on one of the more obvious consequences of repealing the Johnson Amendment:

quote:
If churches can gather money without disclosing their donors – and obviously that degree of privacy protection is required for the free exercise of religion – and spend that money to run political campaigns, then the market is open for foreign as well as domestic corruption. The Russian, Chinese, Saudi, and Iranian governments would all, predictably, either find congregations already recognized by the IRS to use as front groups or incorporate new ones. Of course a group organized as a mosque might not be able to wield much influence without stirring up opposition, but nothing bars the Saudis or the Iranians from paying some stooges to set up a fake Baptist church.
Plus if contributions to churches are tax deductible and contributions to ordinary PACs are not, churches become the preferred method of political campaigning.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...but nothing bars the Saudis or the Iranians from paying some stooges to set up a fake Baptist church.

Could Westboro Baptist Church have a future after all?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Plus if contributions to churches are tax deductible and contributions to ordinary PACs are not, churches become the preferred method of political campaigning.

Fully co opting the churches from focus on the things of God to focus on the things of man. Although some of these people might not see a difference.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was worth a separate thread.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Fully co opting the churches from focus on the things of God to focus on the things of man. Although some of these people might not see a difference.
It will ( I wish it was only would but it will happen) be interesting to see who can raise more money for political purposes:

hate cloaked in personal redemption

vs.

love cloaked in imperfection

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the circles I move in, there are already a number of sorta-churhes, all of which are now champing at the bit to start collecting money. The Pastafarian church and the church of Cthulhu (they have a great hymnal, you wouldn't believe how great) come immediately to mind, and there are a lot more.

[ 04. February 2017, 18:23: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Interesting perspective from a long-time friend of Trump:

"Howard Stern Claims Donald Trump Wants Hillary Clinton to Be President." (Yahoo)

Lots of other insights.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting re the Church of Cthulhu's hymnbook, Brenda.

Full of the Great Old Ones, no?

I'll collect me congeries of iridescent globes on the way out...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a sudden unfunny thought while thinking about donations to ACLU, probably because I'd just been reading a reminiscence from someone whose grandfather only got out of Germany by the skin of his teeth and an Iron Cross, and whose great grandparents all dies in Treblinka.

Is there any way that Trump could get at the bank accounts of opponents, and either sequester them, or, worse, extract the money from them?

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubtless his Russian hacker pals could assist...

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Trump is the ACLU's best fund raiser! I've never made a donation to them -- until yesterday. (I also made my first donation to the International Rescue Committee yesterday.)

I haven't donated yet, but I understand that Mike Pence has (inadvertently) been a major fund raiser for Planned Parenthood.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We have this month joined PP, also the ACLU and the AARP. These are all lobbying groups of some power, and it is sensible to combine our forces. My husband reports that so many people joined the ACLU that their swag is entirely gone -- no more mugs, mouse pads, tees, etc. All the shelves stripped clean by anxious new members.

[ 06. February 2017, 14:56: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is the web page for the United Church of Cthulhu. I can't find any hymn material here, but a friend of mine (who wrote many of the hymn lyrics) has been consulted.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Brenda. I think it's time I sought Ordination (or Ordainment) in the FUCC...

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Their Sunday services (usually held at SF conventions) are fully hymnal and very impressive.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Doubtless his Russian hacker pals could assist...

[Disappointed]

IJ

I was thinking about alterations to US law - I said it was unfunny.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I'm trying to imagine the public discussion that would be happening right now if Trump had said who exactly those American "killers" are.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

This seems eerily relevant...

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

I think this summarizes the Trump Administration as we've seen it so far:

quote:
Mr. Priebus bristles at the perception that he occupies a diminished perch in the West Wing pecking order compared with previous chiefs. But for the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.

<snip>

To pass the time between meetings, Mr. Trump gives quick tours to visitors, highlighting little tweaks he has made after initially expecting he would have to pay for them himself.

Flanking his desk are portraits of Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. He will linger on the opulence of the newly hung golden drapes, which he told a recent visitor were once used by Franklin D. Roosevelt but in fact were patterned for Bill Clinton. For a man who sometimes has trouble concentrating on policy memos, Mr. Trump was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options.

Can't be bothered to read the Executive Orders he's signing, but has an endless enthusiasm for looking through fabric swatches for curtains. Also the bit about how he was fairly restrained until it was explained to him that he was using the taxpayer's money to redecorate, not his own.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016