homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the smaller storage room has been cleared of our failed attempt to use it as a larder. Now it just contains the freezer, some Demi johns, several gallon bottles of home made wine, a large keg of freshly brewed Black Sheep beer and a mini keg of home brew. These will shortly be joined by the soon to be kegged St Peter's Golden Ale. Our own very small pub [Big Grin]
Other half is now clearing out the larger room which he uses as a workshop, mainly because he bought a retired upright drill from his work to go with the industrial metal lathe which already takes up most of the room. There are pieces of wood and paint pots everywhere. If we ever do move house this room will be a nightmare!
Now to return to clearing the lounge...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dining room table is now covered with tools, electrical cords, and all sorts of odds and ends. Before I can eat dinner they need to be thinned out, organized, and put back in the laundry room closet. (I was sort of hoping they'd organize themselves while I ran some errands, but I think they actually multiplied while I as out.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanny Ogg:
I am so grateful for a friend who helped me kick start the whole operation. He is even going to do my cleaning each week as I find it difficult with chronic pain.

Nanny, when we had cleaners (ah those halcyon days) I used to find that we kept the house cleaner and tidier in general, as we didn't like to leave the place in too much of a mess for them. You may find it helps you too - and you are so right about tidiness helping with your mental state. All best wishes and long may it last!

Mrs. S, completing the first stage of birthday-card scanning [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inadvertent decluttering to make space for new computer and printer/scanner [Yipee] . At least it gives me a reward for finishing, but why did I leave it until the last minute? [Roll Eyes]

I excavated my birthday book, which is just as well because both my sisters in law have their birthdays this month, and I didn't have a clue who was when.

This year I may even look organised [Killing me]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am currently de-cluttering the half-cellar that was once my sewing room, but over the past 10-15 years has just become the room where we dump all the stuff that doesn't have a home anywhere else.
So far, in spite of getting rid of loads of stuff, it looks even more cluttered than when I started - and it has spread to the dining room, where the contents of a six shelf unit are waiting to be sorted.
Being sort of cellarish the room is a bit damp and dusty so everything is having to be aired to get rid of the musty smell, and a layer of grime washed off most things whether I'm keeping them, donating, Freecycling or putting them in the recycling bin.
It all takes so much time

The idea is to clear out enough of forty plus years of accumulated 'stuff' so that an estate agent could actually see the floors and walls to value it - and then we hope to "downsize".
If my stuff is this difficult to deal with I dread to think how Mr RoS, a compulsive hoarder, will manage his when/if he faces up to it.

I will read through this thread, and look for encouragement, as this first room is taking forever, and then there's the rest of the rooms - plus loft, garage & garden sheds. [Eek!]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look what I found:

Unfuck Your Habitat..

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Discovered that I've been on this thread before.
I cleared out the hall cupboard last August, and reported on it here.
I'm pleased to say that there is still an empty shelf in there, although I notice that "someone" has snuck in another old road atlas or two.
The mammoth "sewing room" declutter is ongoing, but there's not been an overwhelming response to my Freecycle offers, so that stuff is now cluttering up the hall [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found I ultimately only succeeded when I freed myself from the tyranny of having to donate.

I consoled myself with the thought that the household recycling centre would do that anyway.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I found I ultimately only succeeded when I freed myself from the tyranny of having to donate.

Second only to the 'You could get something for that on e-bay'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

I consoled myself with the thought that the household recycling centre would do that anyway.

Unfortunately I don't drive, and Mr RoS finds it almost impossible to throw anything away, so the recycling centre is out.
What I can I put in the recycling bin, but that's only emptied fortnightly.
Got rid of some stuff on Freecycle today, but the two three-drawer chests (dressing tables minus mirrors) are still cluttering up the hall. [Roll Eyes]
But, the "sewing room" is looking much better. I'm hoping to be able to sew in it by the weekend.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need a skip, and ruthlessness ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Look what I found:

Unfuck Your Habitat..

[Big Grin]

FYI: this is a decluttering/cleaning site. It originally targeted "lazy people". However, as the writer began to understand their own severe depression and the various challenges of the readers, it shifted into more of a "do what you can, when you can, here's how, no home is hopeless, do a little at a time, you are better than your mess" gathering spot. It's especially understanding of folks with chronic illness, of any kind.

FWIW, YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Progress. All the paperwork that still needs to be sorted is in six stacking 24 litre plastic boxes in the study.

There is no study stuff in any other part of the house. None. At all.

I'm aiming to reduce the boxes by half a box a day.
I think that's achievable.

I posted this on the 18th August. I still have 4 1/2 of the plastic boxes to go.
[Hot and Hormonal]

Today is the day!

I have been enjoying the tidier study. I've bought various paper mache boxes, painted them with the left over paint from the walls, stencilled on "pens" "bookmarks" etc and stacked them in the cubby holes above my desk. I'm pleased with the end result.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Stoopid Yahoo a/c - it put replies to my Freecycle offers in the spam box - and someone wanted the chests of drawers! That was about 3 days ago, but I've emailed and hope he still wants them.

A local church is holding a "Creative Arts Day" next month - workshops in the morning, and stalls selling crafty stuff in the afternoon. I've just booked a stall to sell Second-Hand and Vintage Knitting & Dressmaking Patterns, Craft and Art books.
These are all things I'm never going to use again, but can't bear to throw away. Having removed them from the "sewing room" I hope I will have the strength not to put any remainders back in there.

There's one cupboard still to empty - the one where I keep my painting materials. Haven't painted for years, so I may also be able to sell some of the stuff from there.
Feeling quite positive about it today.

Re: skips - MrRoS skip dives, he'll have the stuff out and in the garage as fast as I put it in.
I've been telling him for years that when he falls of his perch I'm going to get a skip, put him at the bottom & pile all his rubbish on top of him.
But I'll probably go first. [Frown]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're both hoarders never, NEVER, give your other half stuff to take to the dump.

When my other half-died and I began the mammoth clearout I discovered lots of stuff that looked very familiar, finally getting to an old electric blanket which had a post-it note stapled to it with my own block capitals saying DUMP.

I'm still trying to fathom how we gained 2 vacuum cleaners I didn't recognise, plus a floor polisher when none of the houses we occupied had polishable floors... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

I'm still trying to fathom how we gained 2 vacuum cleaners I didn't recognise, plus a floor polisher when none of the houses we occupied had polishable floors... [Ultra confused]

Oh, that's easy - your other half went to the dump.

Mr RoS isn't bad at donating to charity shops, but if he takes the stuff in himself he rarely comes out empty handed. If I send him to the dump I check the car on his return.
Most of his acquisitions come from around the village. He squirrels them away into the garage when I'm not here, and then forgets all about them. The most recent 'find' in there was a bag of half a dozen single sheets & pillowcases. He came and asked me where they came from [Ultra confused]

[ 01. October 2014, 13:17: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

_Feh
Shipmate
# 10899

- Posted      Profile for _Feh   Email _Feh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Look what I found:

Unfuck Your Habitat..

[Big Grin]

Ha.. I like that and maybe I can use it for a bit of motivation. If nothing else, the verb 'unfuck' has provided me some amusement this morning.
Thanks, GK :-)

I'm in moving out clean mode, and I'm astounded at the crap I've accumulated. Where does this stuff come from and why the hell didn't it go in the trash already?

--------------------
"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

Posts: 435 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did laugh at the conversation about skips. Mr Nen has been known to take stuff there and come back with more than he took. [Roll Eyes]

I'm doing my best to keep up the decluttering impetus and sorted a small shelf yesterday and got some stuff from it into the bin, ready for bin day today. The box of books to be decluttered continues to fill, albeit very slowly.

One thing I would be very good at, if permitted, is decluttering newspapers. If we buy a Sunday paper I have read most of what I want in it by the middle of the week at the latest, and I would then put it in the recycling. But newspapers are Mr Nen's department. He likes to preserve them for posterity. He promises me that he will soon be sorting the pile in the sitting room where, last time I looked, they went back to 25th May.

Nen - grateful we don't take a daily paper.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we can sell old newspapers and cardboard for money! Not much but enough to encourage us to keep them and then clear them out every 3 months or so. Money is a great incentive.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's a good idea. When we lived in Belfast we took the Times and Daily Telegraph every day, and they didn't half mount up, especially at the weekends. We had monthly paper collections, but they didn't give us anything for them ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _Feh:
Ha.. I like that and maybe I can use it for a bit of motivation. If nothing else, the verb 'unfuck' has provided me some amusement this morning.

Me, not so much!

I have a strange habit of keeping 'notes' in one word document, so anything interesting or stuff I need to remember goes in there.

Not important stuff, just stuff.

I have recently taken on a job as Worship Co-ordinator at Church (yes, it's every bit as boring as it sounds). A rather staid old fella, a steward, came to visit to sort some things out out. He asked a question...

I said "Hang on, I have a note about that here".

Opens laptop and word document ...

Scrolls down ...

What does he see? "Unfuck my bedroom"

erk!!!

What can I say? It's no use saying "no no no no no! It's not what you think!!"

So I just casually said "Oh it's some decluttering stuff I'm doing" and moved on.

erk!!!

[Hot and Hormonal]

*** points accusing finger at ChastMastr! ***

[ 02. October 2014, 06:06: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray for me, sisters and brothers, as today I take boxes to church to try and de-clutter the dumping ground behind the font (that's just as you come in). Can anyone explain to me why there's a size 8 French Connection vest and overshirt in the Lost Property? Thought not, but it's going to the jumble sale!

There's also a whole lot of literature, which might be useful if anyone knew it was there - but there's no more room to display ANYTHING. I think I'll go for the six-month quarantine box there [Two face]

Mrs. S, flexing her de-cluttering muscles

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All your talk of decluttering reminded me of a great character...

When I was at sixth form I had a marvellous politics teacher. Well, he was pretty rubbish at teaching the curriculum, but he was an old school character, who had retired from the college (and previously was a teacher at the grammar school it had replaced, and head boy prior to that) but missed teaching so much he came in every week, ostensibly to teach us about politics but really to share newspaper clippings.

He took all the broadsheets every day, and had done for most of his life. He then took clippings of all these newspapers and filed them away. Apparently most of his four bedroomed house was filled with newspaper clippings. But if, for example, you wanted the review of Henry V from the 1960s, of an obituary of Isaiah Berlin, or the graphic used to illustrate the Maastricht treaty, etc. he was The Man.

I wonder, if he's still alive, whether he's ever got around to decluttering...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Nenya
quote:
But newspapers are Mr Nen's department. He likes to preserve them for posterity. He promises me that he will soon be sorting the pile in the sitting room where, last time I looked, they went back to 25th May.
Is that this year? If so, where's the problem?

I admit to being guilty about hoarding some old newspapers but the main culprits in our house are the children. Ever since they discovered sheets of wartime newspapers in stuff from my late lamented's childhood they've been obsessed with keeping papers they say are for their children (they're 20 at the moment).

As a result I have newspapers relatiing to: death of Diana, Princess of Wales; last flight of Concorde; death of Queen Mother; Murray winning Wimbledon; etc,etc,etc.

Of course, they're outraged at my collection of concert and opera programmes...

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You must point out to them that decluttering opera programmes is a SIN!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I'm afraid I resort to simple trade: I keep opera programmes if they keep programmes for rugby internationals.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Can anyone explain to me why there's a size 8 French Connection vest and overshirt in the Lost Property?
Well, it isn't mine. [Biased]

Today I am trying to motivate myself to tidy my office; it's got to the point where I have to shift huge stacks of paper around before I can find anything. And it would be nice to get my tax return done in good time this year, instead of waiting until the last possible moment in January.

[Snore] [Help]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Jane - when I got there with the black plastic bag, it had gone!

I have a box of stuff (and three umbrellas) to go to the jumble sale, and I have half-filled my dustbin and recycling bin with Stuff (including cassettes from the 1996 New Forest Bible Weekend - so last century!)

It only took about 45 minutes in the end, as well.

Mrs. S, feeling smug again [Yipee]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

The man from my spam box came and took away the two old dressing-tables-minus-mirrors to put in his new shed. [Yipee]

I've emptied everything out of the "painting stuff" cupboard - It's now all over the dining room waiting to be sorted. Don't think there'll be much saleable stuff for my stall, but I'm making up "a box of artists materials" for Freecycle.
I'm surprised that no-one wanted the two bags of cat litter I offered last w/e

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I did 15 months-worth of filing - looking at what needs to be shredded I think this might take another 15 months but I'm sure it'll be just a few hours (allowing for pauses while the shredder cools down every now & then)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Burn iiiiiiittttttttt .......

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tip whilst shredding - have a spray can of shredder / sewing machine / light / WD40 type oil and, every time the bin gets emptied, spray the next sheet (in a squiggly line from side to side and top to bottom) with it before shredding. This will lubricate the mechanism.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Tip whilst shredding - have a spray can of shredder / sewing machine / light / WD40 type oil and, every time the bin gets emptied, spray the next sheet (in a squiggly line from side to side and top to bottom) with it before shredding. This will lubricate the mechanism.

Thanks for the tip. I hope I will remember that when my decluttering marathon finally reaches the dining room where I have what must be 30 years worth of bank statements, and goodness knows what other confidential documents [Paranoid]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ooh yes thank you for reminding me - I am planning a bonfire at the allotment and the kindling will be handy.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

If you don't want to shred or burn you could always invest in one of those handy gadgets that turns old newspapers into brickettes for an open fire: hours of innocent fun [Biased]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago I burned most of the files from my divorce -- on November 5. It may have been the only bonfire in Arizona that night.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

Oh, good idea - that would save me filching newspapers from next-door's recycling bins for Mr RoS to light the fire with

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I didn't get rid of the huge stacks of paper so much as move them around yesterday - most of them had only been printed on one side so they're waiting to be reused on the next book I have to print out. But my desk is a lot tidier and the only stacks of paper on it are work that needs to be done in the next couple of weeks.

Today we are decluttering the garden of a couple of big trees that are growing too close to the house, but we hired a tree surgeon to do that so all I have to do is write him a cheque when he's finished...

...and feel sad about it, because I don't like cutting down trees, even when they're eating into the foundations of the house.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I have just filled my recycling bin [Yipee]

Did get a bit diverted by finding some old youth club photos but forced myself to put them away so am feeling very virtuous.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Nenya
quote:
But newspapers are Mr Nen's department. He likes to preserve them for posterity. He promises me that he will soon be sorting the pile in the sitting room where, last time I looked, they went back to 25th May.
Is that this year? If so, where's the problem?
[Killing me] You and Mr Nen would get along famously. I guess I wouldn't have quite as much of an issue if they were stored appropriately, such as in a box in the garage. But on the lower shelf of a glass-topped coffee table in the middle of the lounge, with the last two weeks' worth actually on the glass top? I don't think so. [Disappointed]

I'm sorting the boxes which have lived for some years now on top of the cupboards in the dining room. They're full of photos, mostly of when the Nenlets were little and need putting into albums. It'll take months. Why didn't we do it as we went along? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Having wreaked havoc at the back of church on Thursday, I went to visit the Dowager today and ended up decluttering the cupboards under her breakfast bar. These are so deep that stuff easily gets pushed to the back and lost [Eek!]

I pretty much filled her dustbin* [Yipee] and sorted a certain amount for the jumble sale, but when she started on 'well, they aren't doing any harm there' I knew when to back off.

However I zapped her with the famous William Morris saying [Smile]

* the jetsam did include six 'champagne' glasses as given away with petrol coupons, back when dinosaurs manned the petrol pumps [Cool]

The Hard-Hearted Mrs. S [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
* the jetsam did include six 'champagne' glasses as given away with petrol coupons, back when dinosaurs manned the petrol pumps [Cool]

[Killing me] I remember that! They're linked in my mind to bookfuls of Green Shield Stamps. [Smile]

I've had a very productive afternoon. I cleared out a whole corner of the lounge, cleaned the book case, hoovered all the books [Roll Eyes] and sorted a few for the recycling box. I cleaned the DVD rack and every single DVD, cleaned the elephant bookends, washed the wall and skirting boards...

I now need something to eat and a nice cup of tea.

Nen - domestic goddess.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

[Killing me] I remember that! They're linked in my mind to bookfuls of Green Shield Stamps. [Smile]

I've had a very productive afternoon. I cleared out a whole corner of the lounge, cleaned the book case, hoovered all the books [Roll Eyes] and sorted a few for the recycling box. I cleaned the DVD rack and every single DVD, cleaned the elephant bookends, washed the wall and skirting boards...

I now need something to eat and a nice cup of tea.

Nen - domestic goddess.

Where's the 'like' button? Well done Nen!

Mrs. S, looking for some more trouble to get into [Killing me]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got some more art up on the wall!! [Yipee]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really love Ferijen's story about his old teacher.

'but missed teaching so much he came in every week, ostensibly to teach us about politics but really to share newspaper clippings.

He took all the broadsheets every day, and had done for most of his life. He then took clippings of all these newspapers and filed them away. Apparently most of his four bedroomed house was filled with newspaper clippings.'

A really heart-warming and cheery tale , for me, - not sure why.

His eccentricity, good-will, and yet vulnerability.

Yes, i sensed his vulnerability and it seemed to chime in a bit with myown, but without haurting.

Just a stirring.

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All nasty kitchen trash is bagged up! [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Sewing room all neat and tidy with almost all surplus stuff disposed of one way or another.
I don't think I can claim to have finished the job until the 2 boxes for a car boot sale, the Second-hand and Vintage stall items and the recipes-in-installments collection for e-bay have all left the premises, permanently.

It's been quite traumatic. In that room I had accumulated an archive of the paperwork from the various jobs I'd had, and organisations I had been involved in, during the 1980s and '90s - probably my most productive period. It was like throwing 20 years of my life away.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... six 'champagne' glasses as given away with petrol coupons ...

When we got married, we didn't really have a List as such, but D. suddenly realised that the only glasses he had were the sort you got free with petrol, so when one or two people asked what we'd like, we said some glasses would be nice ...

We got two sets of wine glasses and a set of liqueur glasses (which we still have) and six sets of whisky glasses (at least two of which were recycled as presents for other people*). [Eek!]

* We moved to Belfast just after we married, where we didn't know anyone, so present-recycling was quite safe. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Mr Nen and I had a bit of a tussle over the decluttering this morning. [Roll Eyes] I had some boxfuls of old photos on the dining room table which need cleaning out as they are full of dust and other evidences of being on top of the cupboards for far too long. He wanted them put back on top of the cupboards. I said I'd spent a long time clearing and cleaning those tops and was not in favour of having dusty dirty boxes put back up there. He said there was probably dust and dirt behind the cupboards as well so maybe we should get all of that out. I said he was probably right but one has to start somewhere. [Mad]

We compromised by putting the boxes on the floor in a neat arrangement.

Turns out the reason he wanted the boxes moved was because he wanted to work at the dining room table... because the desk in his study is too - um - cluttered.

Nen - cross at the time but able to chuckle about it now. [Killing me]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016