homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The heating was off all night and put it on this morning. Then discovered no water coming out of the cold tap!!

But all is well now.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A BIG storm moved in about 23.30 last night - it last a couple of hours but we must have been on the fringe as the pyrotechnics were a lot more visible than audible. We always welcome these storms and could do with some more. I was tempted to get out of bed to go and dance naked on the roof but fell asleep again instead [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and, if I'll permit myself a DP, when we got back from cycling to the village this afternoon, there was a medium sized snake in the front garden - at first we thought it might be a krait but then decided it was probably a young rat snake and thus harmless. Anyway, it made off through the hedge into the empty plot next door, but as that is where a family of mongoose live that might not have been a wise move.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow WW - impressive!

Glad your heating is back on Shamwari! - brrrrrrrrrrrr!

It's morning here in Mexico - sunny and bright. We are just about to set off for the project (shanty town on top of the hill) I will be chatting to the staff and getting to know the new members.

Then burritos for lunch!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW - hope you are writing a book about your adventures - if not why not!!
Just spent frustrating time trying to tax my car on line. System doesn't like me because my insurance and tax date are close - I bought the car from new so wouldn't that always be the case??? I must seek advice from the people I work with who look after said computer [Disappointed] system

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Then burritos for lunch!

I'm not sure why, if a burro is a donkey, a burrito isn't a smaller donkey.

Anyway, I expect you're hungry enough to eat a horse, so enjoy [Biased]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I was tempted to get out of bed to go and dance naked on the roof but fell asleep ...

I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies. [Big Grin]

Well, the research at the restaurant had to go on "hold" as there was a hockey game in the stadium downtown and we couldn't get parked within miles of the place. So D. said he'd heard that the food at a hotel with a spectacular harbour view (and a car park) had improved in recent months, so we tried that.

It hadn't. They were having a "Valentine's Day buffet" [Help] which was ordinary in the extreme (and that which was meant to be hot wasn't) and they had the worst pianist I've ever heard tinkling away on the ivories. He was so bad he was funny - we were in stitches for much of the time - and we also ran into some friends and ended up having quite an enjoyable evening. As the Terrible Pianist™ had buggered off (and the place was about to close) by the time we were paying our bill, D. sat down at the piano and started to play, and the girl at the desk was so impressed she asked him if he'd be interested in coming back, so he gave her his card.

As he said, three nights a week doing that, and he'd almost double his salary.

One for the book, I think. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the tightest of schedules today. Two services then home. get changed and immediately off to airport heading for the tip of Africa.

Hope to catch up with the Ship as she sails past Robben Island.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
... and they had the worst pianist I've ever heard tinkling away on the ivories. He was so bad he was funny - we were in stitches for much of the time ...

That takes me back. Many years ago, some friends and I would occasionally go to a certain pub whose entertainment was "The Kent Trio". This consisted of a (bad) pianist and a worse singer - I think the third of the trio had died - of advanced age. One of their repertoire was Tom Jones's "Delilah" - complete with dropping weights into the grand piano for no discernible reason apart from making a discordant noise.

All this was background music - not a concert - people carried on with their conversation regardless, pausing to applaud every time the music stopped.

One evening, we were talking about old children's programs and one of our group remembered a song or something from Children's Hour; when he'd got all the way through, we clapped him. The tables around us started clapping as well and the trio stopped what they were playing and took a bow!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunday morning here - we are off to Church, which is a very in-your-face Mexican Pentecostal.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Then burritos for lunch!

[Big Grin] Couldn't let this gem go without appreciation! Burritos are usually filled with mince, so it could well be minced donkey! (Unlikely, though)
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
... minced donkey ...

EJ, please tell me that isn't a Kiwi delicacy you've brought over. [Eek!]

Minor embarrassment at the end of the morning service today - it's nine years today since D. took up the post of organist, a fact the Dean announced to the congregation, just after announcing that it had been my 50th birthday on Friday.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - I told him that come his next Significant Birthday™ he should be Very Afraid* ...

[Devil]

* although as he's only a few months older than me, he's got quite a long wait.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Surely at that advanced age EVERY birthday is significant!

--------------------

daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Then burritos for lunch!

I, too, had wondered about that.....

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... minced donkey ...

EJ, please tell me that isn't a Kiwi delicacy you've brought over. [Eek!]

No, no... we only mince possums (there are just too many of the buggers, gotta do something with them all!)
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

There were donkeys, on the beach - just like Blackpool!

It's morning here so we are having a quick coffee then off up the hill. We have 4 people building and fencing a playground, 4 people doing kids work and 2 doing staff training.

The temperature has dropped to 17 and it has clouded over.

Mr Boog has borrowed a bike and goes for a 20K ride each morining. He's cycling Seattle to Boston in the summer for the charity.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... The temperature has dropped to 17 ...

Goodness, that's nearly cool enough to be civilised. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

17C is darned near freezing!!

BRRRRRRR!!!

I think it is in the high 20s here at the moment, so a little cool, but we are managing by sitting watching the cricket.

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

posted on wrong thread oops. arrived after long sleepless flight and knackered. Nights sleep helped
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Virtual quiche now available. It's surprising how quick it is to make with ready rolled pastry, ready sliced mushrooms and ready grated cheese!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I missed this:
quote:
minced donkey!

[Runs and hides]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jabber
Shipmate
# 9668

- Posted      Profile for Jabber   Email Jabber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
I missed this:
quote:
minced donkey!

[Runs and hides]
Is this linked to this excellent burrito stall?
Posts: 153 | From: North West England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today I have booked flights to Blighty for May - my stay will be SHORT [just 14 nights] but when I have more idea of itinerary I will see if I have fit in a Shipmeet.

I managed to do it all on my own on the interwebby thing - I brought up pages for all the airlines I could think of that fly out of here and into London - and then remembered one more, Saudi Airlines, and they had the best price so I went for it - all bought and paid for and tickets printed!

I will arrive UK early 4th May and leave afternoon 18th May. The first weekend will be either in Bristol or the Forest of Dean depending where my friends are staying then I shall head north and south again to London/Surrey a day or two before I leave.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a note in case any Londoners are interested - a documentary called "A City Falls" will be screening somewhere in London on 22/2. It shows footage of the central city area of Christchurch during the large quake on the same date last year.

It doesn't seem like a year, but with over 10,000 aftershocks, some almost as big, but without loss of life, the time has been somewhat akin to being on a very long rollercoaster ride without the certainty of getting off in one piece.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would be nice if you could fit a western ship meet in Wodders - wedon't all live within easy reach of London you know!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Just a note in case any Londoners are interested - a documentary called "A City Falls" will be screening somewhere in London on 22/2. It shows footage of the central city area of Christchurch during the large quake on the same date last year.

It's at the Ritzy in Brixton, costs £20 + booking fee and the first showing has sold out - link

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Quiet day in Cape Town. Weather perfect. Already getting browned off
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Quiet day in Cape Town. Weather perfect. Already getting browned off

Have you been to the Botanic Gardens yet? Fantastic setting, and the elevation gives it that bit of freshness.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
It would be nice if you could fit a western ship meet in Wodders - we don't all live within easy reach of London you know!

If we're in the Forest Taurus might be a [very good] possibility! I'll e-mail my friends and see what is planned.

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

To Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek and perhaps around the peninsular today along Chapmans Peak drive. Fantastic scenery
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

To Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek and perhaps around the peninsular today along Chapmans Peak drive. Fantastic scenery
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why were you browned off, Shamwari? It sounds wonderful! Hope you're enjoying it more now.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Just sunburn M!!

Had a marvelous Kobbeljou (cod) in Kalk Bay then walked the length of the catwalk in Fish Hoek. Shark warnings out but no sign of dem fish.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you going outside of CP? Stellenbosch is charming.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Shamwari:

quote:
Just sunburn M!!

Oh! I've never heard it used like that, only to mean cheesed off! [Hot and Hormonal]

M.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hey hey all - I am up at the daycare centre waiting for the staff to arrive. The sun is out but a COLD wind is whistling round the hill!

The behaviour management training is being very well recieved, which pleases me a great deal.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
quote:
It would be nice if you could fit a western ship meet in Wodders - we don't all live within easy reach of London you know!

If we're in the Forest Taurus might be a [very good] possibility! I'll e-mail my friends and see what is planned.
Taurus would be great - there's a nice restaurant there and some nice shops, also a very good garden centre.It's nice and easy to get to from quite a big area, and also has a big car park. To paraphrase Darllenwr's father, all you want for a tourist attraction is a car park, toilet and tea bar!

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Taurus would be great - there's a nice restaurant there and some nice shops, also a very good garden centre.It's nice and easy to get to from quite a big area, and also has a big car park. To paraphrase Darllenwr's father, all you want for a tourist attraction is a car park, toilet and tea bar!
Where is that then? Pardon my ignorance!! I only know of it as a sign of the zodiac with which I am not interested. [Confused]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Taurus" would, I think, be "Taurus Crafts" between Aylburton and Lydney on the southern fringe of the Forest of Dean. If you follow the old A48 east from Chepstow heading for Gloucester, you will find that Taurus is on your left just before the roundabout for Lydney / Lydney bypass. Very easily accessible, with a nice cafe, a large (free) car park and some very interesting things for sale (some of the foods are very interesting).

In other words, an excellent meeting place.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

Sounds lovely - I would be up for that, date permitting.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When are you heading north, Wodders?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I will be starting a Meet thread soon so as not to take over this thread. I think Taurus [or Bristol] will be 5th or 6th or 7th May and a northern meet [if it occurs] sometime between after that and before I fly to London about 16th. If there is a southern meet that will be 16th or 17th, probably at The India Club. I fly home here on 18th May - for a rest!

BUT I also have work to do whilst over and other friends to see so nothing is written in stone yet.

I will also be bringing this year's supply of chilli powder as Pete is not travelling via England this year, though he has offered to pay for it - I will start a thread for that somewhere as well.

- - - -

In other news the newly maintained roads round here are proving very quick for Pete on his twice daily perambulations - I think I shall have to plan some tougher routes [Snigger]

14 year old neighbour boy who broke his arm at Christmas and is only recently plaster free was trying to elicit sympathy last night as he now has a dressing on the big toe of his right foot - he still seemed to be able to run and cycle as well as ever!

[ 17. February 2012, 02:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Starting travels tomorrow. First to Cape winelands to visit friends who live in the middle of a vineyard near Robertson. Then along garden route to Sedgefield near Knysna. My sister has a house on the lagoon
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, India Club sounds great - look forward to meeting you then!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of travels makes me yearn for somewhere warmer, sunnier, nicer, or just different! [Help]

Dank, grey, foggy here - you are not missing a thing, Boogie!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope not 5th May, Wodders, as I have a wedding to go to.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
17th May is my birthday. A shipment with Wodders at the India Club would be a mighty fine way to celebrate it.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Would love a meet at the India Club too. My birthday is 16 May*, Yangtze!

M.

*One day and several years before yours...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Dates should be settled within the week - I doubt if a choice of dates will exist for most meets, sorry about that. London will be 16th or 17th May. I am told that whether or not we go to The Forest will be open to a democratic vote of those present so am hoping to subvert the process and canvass to ensure we do go as Taurus Crafts sounds better to me as a venue than the Watershed or the Arnolfini. I'll open the threads as soon as I have the dates.

[spelling - again! Of a two letter word!]

[ 18. February 2012, 02:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's just possible that our UK dates will be changed as well - we might be postponing our holiday until May, but I'm not sure exactly when. This may be just as well, as I've got application forms ready for a new passport which really need to be posted, or we won't be going anywhere ...

Just back from a v. jolly dinner party in the company of the church-wardens, the Dean (and their spouses) and a couple from the choir - good (if plain) food and good company.

I'm going to have to negotiate some time off on Monday as we've got the funeral of a much-loved retired archdeacon (lovely man, tended to preach for too long) which will require all the resources we can muster.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016