homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one wanted to read the proposed two-year cycle of lessons for the Office of Readings in the Liturgy of the Hours, were official responsories ever promulgated for this cycle, and if so, are they available anywhere in English?
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Extol:
If one wanted to read the proposed two-year cycle of lessons for the Office of Readings in the Liturgy of the Hours, were official responsories ever promulgated for this cycle, and if so, are they available anywhere in English?

There must be official responsories for it, because the Spanish Liturgy of the Hours is published with the 2 year cycle (for the biblical readings) and it comes with responsories for it. I'm not aware of them being available in English, though.

In other news,the other day was the feast of St. Teresa of Avila and I noticed the Spanish LotHs uses some of her poems for the office hymns on that day.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today the memorial for Blessed John Paul II is observed for the first time. The Mass and Office for today can be taken from the Common of Pastors: For a Pope. For the interested or curious the reading for today's Office of Readings can be found here.

Some might find this book of his writings interesting: Psalms and Canticles: Meditations and Catechis on the Psalms and Canticles of Morning Prayer

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About the 1662 BCP, but responses from other traditions would also be useful -

When a day doesn't have a set collect, is the collect of the last day with a collect used, or specifically the last sunday?

What happens if a day is appointed both feast and fast? Does one or the other have to be "moved"?

Does anyone still use the form of prayer for the anniversary of the accession of the sovereign?

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Ellis Bell
Shipmate
# 16348

- Posted      Profile for Ellis Bell   Email Ellis Bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this Office Site? St. Bede's Breviary

It looks rather well done, though not sure about some of the "styles" on offer. But as far a ease of use goes, it is a snap.

Posts: 88 | From: New York City | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ellis Bell:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this Office Site? St. Bede's Breviary

It looks rather well done, though not sure about some of the "styles" on offer. But as far a ease of use goes, it is a snap.

I have lots of experience with it, and you're right. It's a snap, and it's very well done. And it's constantly being refined and improved by its passionate and knowledgeable owner. Highly recommended!
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, the SBB is nice! But I've had a lot of frustration trying to get it to save my preferences, for some reason. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to get both the Great Litany and a hymn on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Ellis Bell
Shipmate
# 16348

- Posted      Profile for Ellis Bell   Email Ellis Bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do wish SBB was an App for my iPad, but I download the pages and mark them, so I'm able to use them on my commute when I don't have access to wireless.
Posts: 88 | From: New York City | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't even like to set preferences on the SBB. Part of the fun is picking and choosing each time whether I want Bare Bones, By-the-Book, or delightfully AC.

I would love to see it offer the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary readings as an option, too, as I prefer them to the Daily Office readings. (Hint, hint, ehem...) Still, I admit my practice is not normal.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used SBB many time. I like it because it's easy to use. Like Martin, I enjoy deciding on the options each time I use it.

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
About the 1662 BCP, but responses from other traditions would also be useful -

When a day doesn't have a set collect, is the collect of the last day with a collect used, or specifically the last sunday?

What happens if a day is appointed both feast and fast? Does one or the other have to be "moved"?

Does anyone still use the form of prayer for the anniversary of the accession of the sovereign?

As a Catholic user of the old breviary, the rule I follow is to use the Collect of the preceding Sunday, unless other instruction is given. The Roman Breviary also has quite detailed rules about the occurrence and concurrence of offices, which I follow. There are a wide variety of options depending upon the rank of the occurring/concurring feast or fast, of which translating the lesser feast/fast to the next free day is one, but omission is also possible, as is commemoration (when the proper anthem, versicle & response and collect of the lesser is prayed at Lauds immediately after the collect of the greater.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
catholicedinburgh
Apprentice
# 12668

- Posted      Profile for catholicedinburgh   Email catholicedinburgh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick question - hopefully in the right place
I have the Lancelot Andrewes edition of the Monastic Diurnal and I would like to get it rebound in nice soft leather. I live in Edinburgh - does anyone have any recommendations of who could do this for me please? Is it worth doing?

Thanks

Posts: 22 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
I agree, the SBB is nice! But I've had a lot of frustration trying to get it to save my preferences, for some reason. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to get both the Great Litany and a hymn on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Hi Bran,

If you're trying to set the breviary for "Fixed prayers" it turns out there was a gitch that screwed up the rest of the cookie. It's fixed now.

With the placement of the Office Hymn in the '79 Book if you're going strictly according to the rules, then it does turn out to be an either/or.

Ellis Bell,

There'll be some news on that shortly!

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Extol:

While the scripture schema has been published in various journals such as Notitiae (not sure whether the two year cycle at the back of some editions of Christian Prayer matches or not.....will have to check that), but the responsories have not seen the light of day.

Re: the Spanish two-year cycle -- IIRC, they did their own responsories for that. The Italians have one which I think might have been based more closely on the draft responsories - it's called L'Ora dell'Ascolto.

I quite like the thematic lectionery developed by Pluscarden (here), since I'm not one for the continuous slogging through Augustine, but unfortunately, no responsories yet.

Right-Believing Queen
Shipmate
# 16832

- Posted      Profile for Right-Believing Queen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here say the Daily Office in Latin using the Office Hymns as the existed in the first part of the 17th century?

I ask this because Fr John Hunwicke, whom many will doubtless know for eminently sensible liturgical advice, seems to to regard this as the best practice , although it's not clear why.

I must admit that I myself often find the demands of the Divinum Officium in its full form to be incompatible with the life of a layman, and thus fall back on the 1662 with certain minor additions from the Roman Breviary as it existed in the immediate aftermath of the Council of Trent, although I do always feel that this combination is a bit shamefully low church.

--------------------
'You know, speaking disrespectfully of Calvinists is the same thing as speaking honourably of the Church.'— Letter from Lady Mary Wortley Montagu to Mrs Sarah Chiswell, Aug. 13 (O.S.), 1716.

Posts: 61 | From: Between the idea/ And the reality/ Between the motion/ And the act | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do. I use the Liturgia Horarum though (The Latin edition of the liturgy of the hours) with some additions and modifications.

For the most part, the hymns in it are the ancient restored hymns. Sometimes there are new hymns (Which are excellent) or the hymns have been edited- if they've received any editing, I usually use the older wording. (For example, in the hymn for advent vespers, the stanza "Te deprecamur Hagie" was changed to "De sancte fide quasumus".)

The problem with the hymns of Urban is that the office hymns used their own version of a biblical, Christianised Latin. Though it didn't always conform to classical rules of poetry, it was beautiful and had an air of sacrality- it was'nt the same Latin that was being used elsewhere, it was it's own liturgical language.

Urban, who was a master of classical poetry could not stand the hymns because of the many grammatical and language 'errors' he saw, so he set up a group of Jesuit scholars to fix them. In some cases, this meant entirely re-writing hymns written by saints and doctors of the church.

I find the liturgy of the hours to be a good fit- enough tradition to keep me satisfied, but shorter. The shorter hours mean that I can say more of them. (There's no way I could ever say matins and lauds from the older breviary daily- I don't have time for that many psalms and readings.)

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Right-Believing Queen
Shipmate
# 16832

- Posted      Profile for Right-Believing Queen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense.

--------------------
'You know, speaking disrespectfully of Calvinists is the same thing as speaking honourably of the Church.'— Letter from Lady Mary Wortley Montagu to Mrs Sarah Chiswell, Aug. 13 (O.S.), 1716.

Posts: 61 | From: Between the idea/ And the reality/ Between the motion/ And the act | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the long awaited Baronius Press Roman Breviary will finally appear in the New Year.

Has anyone any up-to-date information on this publication? I understood that publication had been delayed due to bad weather in the country where the printer is located.

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transferred from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Sub Hoc Signo Vinces:
I am an Anglican in London. I say my office using the modern RC form. My RC General Calendar (the Latin version published by Libreria Editrice Vaticana) - but in common with the Diocese of Westminster Ordo published online by their Liturgy Office - marks today as a feria with optional memoria of the Holy Name of Our Lord.

I normally use the US text of the Liturgy of the Hours (1975). I looked for the propers for today's memoria and could fine none. I could likewise find nothing in the corresponding Latin volume of Liturgia Horarum (2000). Looking in my one-volume Daily Prayer from the UK Divine Office (1974), again I could find nothing.

Looking in my Collins Daily Missals (reprints of 2002 and 2004), I could likewise find nothing. There is something in wikipedia (I think) about this memoria having been "restored" to the missal in 2002.

Does anyone know where the relevant propers are and why there are not in my breviaries and missals?

Best wishes,

SHSV

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
It is my understanding that an English translation of the propers has not yet been translated.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such is my understanding as well. The Optional Memorial of the Most Holy Name of Jesus does appear in the "new" Roman Missal in English.

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, the last official Supplement to the Liturgy of the Hours was published in the 1990s.

One would think that some liturgy office in the US could keep up with these changes, but you know "they" are very, very particular about translations nowadays!

For what it's worth, here are the new Mass prayers. (I'm not sure how well that link will work for you. Scroll down to Page 802.) I'm sure you could use the normal office readings for today, along with the collect for the memorial.

If the link didn't work, let me know. I can explain how to find it if need be.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Such is my understanding as well. The Optional Memorial of the Most Holy Name of Jesus does appear in the "new" Roman Missal in English.

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, the last official Supplement to the Liturgy of the Hours was published in the 1990s.

One would think that some liturgy office in the US could keep up with these changes, but you know "they" are very, very particular about translations nowadays!

For what it's worth, here are the new Mass prayers. (I'm not sure how well that link will work for you. Scroll down to Page 802.) I'm sure you could use the normal office readings for today, along with the collect for the memorial.

I looked on Universalis, and today it lets you choose the 3rd of January or the Holy Name. The only difference I could detect in my short visit was the collect. Perhaps as an optional memorial, the Holy Name collect is all that's available, so you just use that collect with everything else coming from the 3 January? I could be wrong; hence my question mark.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
I looked on Universalis, and today it lets you choose the 3rd of January or the Holy Name. The only difference I could detect in my short visit was the collect. Perhaps as an optional memorial, the Holy Name collect is all that's available, so you just use that collect with everything else coming from the 3 January? I could be wrong; hence my question mark.

I can't recall exactly what it contains off the top of my head, but the old Supplement did have something for the Optional Memorial too. [Thinking out loud...Is it the extra non-scriptural reading and the collect? I can't recall...]

The name "Oblatus" jogs my mind a bit, and causes me to wonder whether we are barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps there is a religious order whose own proprietary ordo contains an approved translation of the material for the Holy Name. The orders are very good at keeping up with such things, IMHO, and they do often obtain permission for their own additions.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

There was more issued in 2003, which included a second reading at matins and benedictus/magnificat antiphons.You can see them Here. Further,in 2006, the congregation for divine worship added the hymns Iesu Dulcis Memoria,an invitatory and versicle, proper readings and short resposories at lauds and vespers, and optional antiphons for psalms if the feast was celebrated with great solemnity. You can see those Here (large PDF warning) on page 799. There was a Latin supplement issued in 2006 that contained those, but as far as I know, it's out of print and I don't know if it's been translated into any languages.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

Ah- wrong link. Let me try This.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only difference I could detect in my short visit was the collect. Perhaps as an optional memorial, the Holy Name collect is all that's available, so you just use that collect with everything else coming from the 3 January?

That's what my ordo says to do. Most optional memorials just have a collect and a second reading for the OOR in the Hours.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sub Hoc Signo Vinces
Shipmate
# 11086

- Posted      Profile for Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Email Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you to everyone. This is all very helpful, especially the links.

I have been saying the office for quite a while now; I simply cannot account for why I haven't noticed this lack of propers in my books before this year.

I think what threw me was that the Holy Name seems to be a well-established, old celebration. There are certainly churches (and church schools) dedicated to it here in England. I would have expected it to be in all the printed books. Does anyone know what the history is? Did it go out at some point and then come back in?

(I did, incidentally, find it in my Lancelot Andrews Press reprint of the Monastic Diurnal. I have not yet dug out my older Latin breviary. I have an odd volume of a Desclee edition from the late C19. I'll have to see if there is anything in there.)

Thanks again to everyone who has replied, and to Mamacita for moving my OP to the correct place.

Posts: 139 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sub Hoc Signo Vinces:
Did it go out at some point and then come back in?

Yes, that is why you had difficulty. The feast, unforunately, fell victim to the revised kalendar/missal of 1970 and did not appear in that missal. It was restored as an optional memorial in the 2002 edition.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sub Hoc Signo Vinces
Shipmate
# 11086

- Posted      Profile for Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Email Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha! That explains it. Thanks very much.
Posts: 139 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
The only difference I could detect in my short visit was the collect. Perhaps as an optional memorial, the Holy Name collect is all that's available, so you just use that collect with everything else coming from the 3 January?

That's what my ordo says to do. Most optional memorials just have a collect and a second reading for the OOR in the Hours.
I've just always been confused why this memorial, unlike others, was originally made without any reading and responsory, hymns or intercessions. Most memorials take these from the common, but obviously, there's no common for feasts of the lord, so one would figure these would be provided but nothing was. I can't think of another feast where this occurs.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that the office gets much too samey and short shrift is given to the season if the commons are gone to for too many memorials. I'll only use commons for a memorial-saint if they're especially important to me or my locale (unless otherwise directed). I imagine the lack of provision of such things for this one is based on an assumption that most people would want to use the as much Christmas seasonal material as possible.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baronius Press' edition of the English-Latin "Extraordinary Form" Roman Breviary finally appears to have left the press: link.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A reprint of Les Heures Gregoriennes by the Community of St Martin in France is also due shortly.
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

A reprint of Les Heures Gregoriennes by the Community of St Martin in France is also due shortly.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Baronius Press' edition of the English-Latin "Extraordinary Form" Roman Breviary finally appears to have left the press: link.

And I can now pre-order for £235.95 including S&H. I have 21 days to decide whether it's worth that much money to me...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

The Baronius Press breviary looks like a very handsome publication but I'm not sure if I will be buying a set in the immediate future as I already have the original Collegeville edition in excellent condition and for which I paid less than half the price of the new Baronius Press edition!!
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

I'm still praying for my dream book: An affordable set of the liturgia horarum in double column. The Midwest Theological Forum set is far too bulky and outrageously expensive.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
The Baronius Press breviary looks like a very handsome publication but I'm not sure if I will be buying a set in the immediate future as I already have the original Collegeville edition in excellent condition and for which I paid less than half the price of the new Baronius Press edition!!

Likewise, although my original set is in used but serviceable condition, much like its owner. What I would really like now is an inexpensive monastic diurnal, or English-language Pius X breviary. Some hopes!

--------------------
Catholic books

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Genuine curiosity. Is that the pre-1970 version with post-1970 bits or what?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:

In essence it is the breviary as reformed in 1962 with the Pius XII Holy Week, as originally published by the Liturgical Press in 1963, but with the "New"/Cardinal Bea psalter of the 1963 edition replaced by the Vulgate psalter. I understand that the latter was for the benefit of those traditionalist Catholics who did not care for the Pian psalter. I don't know what else will have changed but I assume very little.

--------------------
Catholic books

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even a liturgical anorak like me is confused.

But thank you.

I still use my 1970 breviary on holiday. Is it now completely out of dats?

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Having now perused the link, it is interesting to see what has changed compared to the 1963 version; apart from the different Latin psalter (which I should have called the "Gallican", although it is from the Vulgate), I also note that the English parallel version has been revised to bring it into line with the Latin version. From the text it appears that the CCD translation of the scriptures may have been tweaked, although it is not clear whether this is the same tweaking as was done in the '63 edition, or something more. Unfortunately they have kept Fr Connelly's English translations of the hymns, which whilst no doubt frightfully accurate, are not versified and so do not (to me) lend themselves to actual recitation. The extracts from the Rituale are new, whilst the overall presentation is both substantially better and much more like traditional breviaries than the Collegeville version.

ETA: you're very welcome!

I don't think the 1970 LoTH is completely out of date, although I think that there is a more recent Latin version; however, as I don't use it (and indeed am selling on the one volume I do own) I am probably not the most reliable source of information on that!

[ 03. March 2012, 20:34: Message edited by: Manipled Mutineer ]

--------------------
Catholic books

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The revised Latin Psalter was a bit of a shocker. OK if it was the only one you ever encountered but if you were used to the Vetus it was an "Arrghh Moment."

The 1960 Breviary was a bit of a hatchet job with most of the lessons from the Early Fathers being removed. It would be laughable, if it were not so sad, to read John XXIII expressing the hope that the clergy would become more familiar with the Fathers when the "Hannibal the Cannibal's" Liturgical Goon Squad had just removed half the Patristic lessons from the Breviary.

IMHO the old, Pius X Breviary, recited according to Pius XII's 1955 simplification of the rubrics is more balanced than the 1960 revision. Much as it pains me to admit it, the Liturgy of the Hours actually represents a major improvement over the 1960 Breviary as it restores the Father's as a major element in the daily diet of prayer.

Whilst I am thinking about it, the 1970 Holy Week is less of a mess than the 1951/5 version, or at least it would be were it not for the inevitable habit of the newer rites to have suggestions not Rubrics.

PD
(who is feeling grumpy)

[ 03. March 2012, 22:48: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

If one is still using the 1970 breviary, you're missing out on few good things that were restored and some good new things! (Like the feasts of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows on Friday of the fifth week of lent, and the readings from Lamentations during the triddum.)

Also, permission is given to use the texts of the antiphons contained in the Ordo Cantus Officii in place of the ones given in the breviary, so some feasts which got entirely new texts in 1970 have their older offices restored. (eg, the feast of the Assumption, the common of Holy Men, Corpus Christi.) There are also some sight rubrical modifications with the psalms.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Incidentally, for something entirely new in Daily Office thrills, someone really ought to snap up this copy of Fr Trenholme SSJE's " "Hours of Prayer" compiled from the Sarum Breviary & other rites, especially at the Buy it Now price of £15 plus shipping. (And the seller has other good pieces too, offering the chance of some combined psotage discounts...)

--------------------
Catholic books

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Incidentally, for something entirely new in Daily Office thrills, someone really ought to snap up this copy of Fr Trenholme SSJE's " "Hours of Prayer" compiled from the Sarum Breviary & other rites, especially at the Buy it Now price of £15 plus shipping. (And the seller has other good pieces too, offering the chance of some combined psotage discounts...)

Thank you for letting us know! I'm tempted, of course, but mainly for the experience of getting a new (even though old) breviary, as I've already got one of the 1928 3rd edition, revised. [Cool]
FatherRobLyons
Shipmate
# 14622

- Posted      Profile for FatherRobLyons   Author's homepage   Email FatherRobLyons   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those looking for readings from the Church Fathers, a new resource is out from Concordia Publishing House (LCMS) that is keyed to the Church year:

[URL=http://www.cph.org/p-18961-a-year-with-the-church-fathers-meditations-for-each-day-of-the-church-year.aspx?SearchTerm=a year with]A Year with the Church Fathers[/URL]

It provides the Daily Lectionary of the current LCMS worship boook in citation form, together with a full reading from one of the Church Fathers and the collect of the day from the LCMS breviary. Since I do a patristic reading in the AM and in the PM, this may well become my next purchase.

Rob+

[ 12. April 2012, 15:07: Message edited by: FatherRobLyons ]

Posts: 321 | From: Bargersville, IN | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:

In essence it is the breviary as reformed in 1962 with the Pius XII Holy Week, as originally published by the Liturgical Press in 1963, but with the "New"/Cardinal Bea psalter of the 1963 edition replaced by the Vulgate psalter. I understand that the latter was for the benefit of those traditionalist Catholics who did not care for the Pian psalter. I don't know what else will have changed but I assume very little.
A quick glance seems to show this to be a monumental task completed with devotion.

We will all have our individual gripes, but it was a shame that the editors chose rather inferior translations for some of the hymns (not least what they have used for 'The Royal Banners Forward Go') and the psalms. They would have best been served by using the Anglican Breviary and BCP texts as translations. However, given the traditionalist nature of those wishing to promulgate this breviary, perhaps pride forbade them to do so.

Had he been involved in the editing, I have no doubt that Benedict XVI would have agreed. THere was always a rumour that in the 1970s Paul VI particuarly liked Coverdale's psalms sung by English cathedral choirs. He ordered recordings from time to time, and sent £400 to the Canterbury Cathedral Preservation Trust.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I'm confused about these psalms.

The Cardinal Bea ones are the monthly cycle as in the breviary that I used/use on holiday?

The Pian ones are an early C20 revision of the weekly cycle (that replaced psalms 148/149/150 at the end of Lauds?)?

What's the Vulgate ones? The Tridentine ones?

So Mattins/Office of Readings now has nine psalms again?

--------------------

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those who sing to greet lights and shadows may be interested in this web page . They have a complete antiphonal for the ordinary time English refrains from Common Worship: Daily Prayer!
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

FWIW, I did end up buying the Baronius Breviary. Happy to answer any questions about it that can be answered by looking at it, as long as I do understand what you are talking about. The latter is a serious limitation, believe you me...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016