homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 51)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken, in this thread on typography offered some excellent vocational advice as a bonus:

quote:
Comic Sans has no valid uses. If you find yourself thinking that it does, take that as a sign from God that you are not called to edify the church through typography.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The king of Bashan just TOTALLY made my day.

I wonder if that sentence has ever been said, in any language, ever.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly by the Queen of Bashan? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni Sais, in the cricket thread, on Michael Vaughan (please, Michael, just STFU!)

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
He's like G. Boycott without the tact and diplomacy.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Hell's TICTH by Mad Cat:
quote:

I got my letter from the shoulder people.

Did one of you bastards pray?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rarely do I archive a full-on Hell flame, but this one was just... masterful:

(After an all -caps response to a previous post)

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Firstly, there is no point shouting at me. It's a somewhat over-rated tactic in the real world. On an Internet Bulletin Board you come across less as BRIAN BLESSED! and more as the sort of person who thinks that homosexuals and Romanians are stealing your bodily fluids. Secondly you need to learn how to spell "independent". Thirdly if you want to link to an accurate account of the shooting in question and, on the basis of the known facts, discuss how the Metropolitan Police were justified in shooting an innocent man and lying about it after the fact knock yourself out. But if you are just going to pull random bullshit out of your arse whilst doing the whole "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH BIT", the rest of us will be justified, I think, in concluding that you are a bit of a dick.

Let me know if you need me to explain any of the long words. Ta-ta now.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And this one is kinda sweet:

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I am going to sound like a complete, judgmental b!^@#, but I would qualify that as some people have layers. It truly is not a value judgement, though. Being layered or complex is not better, just different.

I don't think you're a b!@#, or if you are, that's just the top layer!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
got it in one:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
I find it interesting that there appear to be two types of posting (maybe more?) here in Hell:

Those where the personality of the person as evidenced on other boards generally stays the same but with some agitation and swearing....
then there are those who appear to become a completely different and often very unpleasant person

I find it quite disconcerting/ bewildering which is why I rush back out again quickly...
Bye!

Down here we are, essentially, a psychology experiment that has gone completely feral.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Did you ever laugh so hard at something you were afraid you would rupture your abdominal muscles?

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Well, my mother so incensed me (and my siblings) by yet again turning up to Christmas and announcing that she had not had time to buy presents for anyone (despite having nothing at all to do all fucking year) so had nipped down to KMart that morning and bought us each a $2 torch and then proceeded to tell us about how she and my father have been planning their next overseas holiday, I spent at least half an our googling "Cheapest funerals". Lucky for her she didn't cark it that day, or she'd have been buried in a plastic bag, upright in a hole dug by a post hole digger, with no service at all.

I have calmed down somewhat now.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
got it in one:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
I find it interesting that there appear to be two types of posting (maybe more?) here in Hell:

Those where the personality of the person as evidenced on other boards generally stays the same but with some agitation and swearing....
then there are those who appear to become a completely different and often very unpleasant person

I find it quite disconcerting/ bewildering which is why I rush back out again quickly...
Bye!

Down here we are, essentially, a psychology experiment that has gone completely feral.

Some are just more able to let their dark side rip than others. We all have one. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this MUST be saved. from the 2014 Ship in Preview:

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
January 25th 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. The Admins point out that they are well aware of the need for an upgrade, and are looking at options.

February 1st 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. Spike rolls his eyes in exasperation.

February 23rd 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. Marvin starts drinking.

March 8th 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. Kelly punches a puppy.

April 29th 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. Tubbs punches through a wall.

May 18th 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. RooK bites through a steel girder.

June 1st 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. Alan Cresswell utters a mild obscenity.

July 12th 2014

After a week-long break during which the Ship is offline, the long-awaited software upgrade is finally revealed. The new boards are faster and more resilient, the new fully-integrated Cafe is a marvel of user friendliness, and the search function actually works even for Oblivion.

July 13th 2014

Six different Shipmates start threads in Styx complaining about how crap the new software is and how much better the old system was.

July 14th 2014

The Admins, in a fit of exasperation brought on by having to deal with all the bloody moaning, resign en masse. The six complainers step into the vacant Admin roles.

July 21st 2014

The new Admins finally realise what they've let themselves in for. Two delete their own profiles just to escape, one is sectioned by his concerned family after ten straight hours of rocking back and forth in a chair mumbling about trollpuppets, and one features on the late-night news having attempted to destroy the internet itself by bombing AOL's corporate headquarters. The remaining two resolve to track down their predecessors in an attempt to get them to take over again.

September 30th 2014

The only former Admin not yet located, RooK, is found in an armoured bunker just north of Barquisimento, Venezuala. On being visited by a delegation seeking to get him to return to the Admin role he expresses a mild unwillingness to do so. There are no survivors.

November 9th 2014

After being visited by a second - more cautious - delegation, RooK admits that he was just kidding about the whole "not wanting to return" thing and says he'd be delighted to come back. There are no survivors.

November 20th 2014

The original Admins make their triumphant return to the Ship. Over the next few weeks they painstakingly work to repair the damage caused by the four months of misrule.

December 16th 2014

The boards are back to normal.

December 17th 2014

A Styx thread is started complaining about the software. There are no survivors.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Difficult Relatives Left at the Altar.

(A good place to put them, I'd have thought....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You outdid yourself, Marv. [Overused]

(And just for the record--punching puppies??? [Eek!] [Waterworks] )

[ 24. January 2014, 23:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No comment. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
my Bingo-impressing massive, sexy brains

I would love to get my hands on your huge hemispheres, to slowly and systematically scan their structure, probe their functional responses gently with some gradient echoes, and trace their diffusive properties to find those elusive connections to deeper, much deeper centres of spontaneous activity...

...but unfortunately the MR scanner is all booked this week.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You outdid yourself, Marv. [Overused]

(And just for the record--punching puppies??? [Eek!] [Waterworks] )

FWIW Marv, that's up there with The Blessed Kenwritez's "Interpretive Dance" thread.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister hits it on the head on the coffee/churchmanship thread in Heaven:
quote:
If you go too high up the candle, of course, a miracle occurs and the coffee turns into GIN.
[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a winner on the weather thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
What have I learned from this winter? That an 86lb golden retriever can poop in under a minute if he has the incentive of blowing snow and wind chill.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha, on the 'Difficult Relatives' thread in Hell:

quote:
Other than the one atop your head, did you have a point?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And from the same thread, when B62 says a thing like this to you, you can be about 150% sure that you are in the wrong:

quote:
originally posted by Barnabas62:

Of course you can be pissed off with the pissed off. Which in turn gives everyone else the right to be pissed off with you. Which they are. And, frankly, who can blame them? Empathy level epsilon minus moron. Not even semi-moron. O brave new world, that has such assholes in it.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how to flame with class [Cool] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

From "Words that could have changed History":
quote:
"Steve, it only lasted ten issues. Why the heck would it be any more successful as a website?"

"You're right Simon. I don't know what I was thinking..."

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Another nice thread ruined. Some of us were getting a bit of harmless relief, venting about the things our loved ones do that drive us crazy, but Francophile had to come along and lecture us all about not being grateful for our hot water bottles of passive aggression and iced cakes of inconvenience, and Spike had to drop in to tell us that if we (or I) were "looking for sympathy we wouldn't get it here," sounding just like the "I'll give you something to cry about," parent, and Comet, smelling her favorite blood source, had to jump in to tell me to get the fuck over my delicate little snowflake self as it's not all about me and Left at the Altar had to rush in to agree with her about me before telling Francophile, three or four times, that, clearly his mother doesn't love him. Because she knows.

Just once, I wish we could keep the anger all going in the same direction without allowing ourselves to be sidetracked this way.

Totally made me smile. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie, on the 'Irreverent' thread:

at the heart of the most reverent worship is often a bubble of laughter waiting to get out.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bax, on the 'what if they're right? fear and what to do about it' thread:

quote:
Being a Christian is not about being right, it’s about being forgiven for being wrong.
[Overused]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before Dafyd posted this there may have been some who did not understand the expression "friend of Dorothy".
quote:

And the Holy Spirit came upon Jonathan and he prophesied that there shall be a woman. And she shall sing a song of a rainbow, and there shall be somewhere over the rainbow, and that somewhere shall be a land that the woman shall dream of; and the birds shall fly over the rainbow, saith the Lord. And David and Jonathan did admire that woman greatly.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the same thread:
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
That may be a queer reading of the Bible, but not in the sense you mean.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... worship band cupboard ...

You keep your worship band in a cupboard? What an excellent idea - I should leave them in there if I were you.

[Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Difficult Relatives" thread in Hell:

quote:
The fact that I know that it's "just" planetary rotation causing a distant ball of fusing hydrogen nuclei to come into view from my position in such a way that some of the photons released from said fusion reactions are refracted in the atmosphere and detected by the cone cells in my eye, which then pass information down my optic nerve in such a way that the visual centre of my brain interprets it as colours in the red end of the visual spectrum doesn't stop me from saying "what a beautiful sunrise".

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Name changed to protect the guilty:

quote:
I read every word of X's post at 6:59 and it caused my tinnitus to flare up.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It's kind of a good multi-purpose template. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Originally posted by The Midge:

.... The Church is a mere foreshadow of heaven. It is a holiday brochure that actually shows the unfinished hotel, predicts the air traffic control strikes and volcanic ash clouds, is searching for lost luggage and treating the Delhi Belly. It speaks a foreign language half the time too. I don't blame you for wishing you weren't here. ...

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came here to post that, myself. A gem! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Name changed to protect the guilty:

quote:
I read every word of X's post at 6:59 and it caused my tinnitus to flare up.

Somehow I knew without looking ..

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful description of God from Kelly Alves:

I don't know what heresy I might have been spouting, but I once burbled in my high school confirmation class that I thought God was never-changing and ever-changing-and I used the ocean as a metaphor. The ocean is always the ocean, but it is also always moving, striking the shore, changing the beach, pulling stuff back into itself,claiming life, generating it--always changing. The Pastor just looked at me like, maybe Cromwell had the right idea about heretics, and went on as if I had said nothing.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the snake handling thread currently in purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Some things Our Lord gave us for our edification and growth in the faith.
Some things he gave us so that we might approach our Heavenly Father with awe and trembling.
Some things he gave us to inspire us with the beauty of the Lord.
And some things, he just gave us to weed out the idiots.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha in Hell:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Needing to change some other person's mind, or needing that other person to conform to what you believe they ought to think, is co-dependency.

[Eek!] O. M. G. I'm co-dependent with the entire internet!
I can't decide whether to print this out & stick it to my PC screen, or despair that my life has suddenly lost all meaning. [Waterworks]
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Great catch. [Overused]

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Speechless before the beauty of this simple pair of sentences:

quote:
Originally posted by Lilbuddha:

Actor Shia LeBeouf has recently finished a performance art. The piece appears to be an apology for plagerised apologies for plagerising. The performance itself appears derivative.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the thread in the Styx announcing TonyK's retirement as Dead Horses host:

quote:
Originally posted by hart:
"Twelve years a host" -- didn't they make a movie about that recently?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ack! You beat me to it!

That crack was the croissant to go with my afternoon coffee.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Dead Horses Hosting Curiosity Killed - surprised it lasted as long as 12 years, most would have lost their curiosity years ago.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

Referring to childrens work, but could just as easily apply to some adult congregations [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
a play time where we encourage sharing, community and not hitting one another over the head with a plastic sheep.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nicely played. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:
The obvious to me is that this debate is ridiculous.
Science' goal is to explain the workings of the universe.
Religion's goal is to find a meaning.
One v. the other is futile and silly.

Welcome to Dead Horses!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Surely I can't be the only one who enjoyed this particular one-liner from IngoB?

quote:
A Buddhist fighting a Christian? The sound of one hand clapping on the other cheek.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No. It provoked a grin . [Big Grin]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the divine Ms. Alves, on the TICTH thread:

quote:

I am not your angst-sponge

Seriously, if this ever appears on a t-shirt, I'm buying a dozen.

(Just hoping my friends don't want one as well [Paranoid] )

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SvitlanaV2 on silence in church:

quote:
My impression is that most church traditions are quite uncomfortable with worshipful silence - although they don't try to cut down on 'dead time' during transitions from one activity to another.
Abso-fragging-lutely dammit!

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

From no prophet:

quote:
Maybe Jesus is on Twitter.

Jesus of Nazareth @jesusnazar tweeted (3:21pm)
#mygod my god why have you #forsakenme #golgotha #bleeding #thissucks

God @godalmighty retweeted (3:45pm)

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Uriel made me smile today: My main role is househusband, which I love and gives me a lot of satisfaction. But it isn't on the list because although it is a lot of work and many, many people do it, it isn't paid.

In a way I like my job sneaking under the radar. It means the government doesn't introduce OFParent, and send failed parents with clipboards to my house to measure how badly I am doing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016