homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Bloody Brexiteers (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bloody Brexiteers
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Whoever thought a yes/no question would be the most sensible way to address the complex world we live in?

An idiot.

This appears to be a common view here, but I don't recall it being expressed here in relation to the Scottish independence referendum, which concerned similar issues of sovereignty, economic performance in changed circumstances, etc.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
This appears to be a common view here, but I don't recall it being expressed here in relation to the Scottish independence referendum, which concerned similar issues of sovereignty, economic performance in changed circumstances, etc.

I think the distinction is that there was already a majority in the Scottish Parliament for independence. There's a difference between putting a question to the country to ask them to confirm a change you believe in and giving them the option of a change you believe to be disastrous. It's a reasonable question but I think the solution lies in that for a change to occur there ought to be agreement between parliament and the country. If you can't get a majority in parliament and a majority in a referendum then it's probably not a change that should be made right now.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Gospel reading today was the one about the demons being cast into the herd of pigs.

I noticed that the guy said his name was "legion" which made me think of Mr Britain.

--------------------
arse

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Whoever thought a yes/no question would be the most sensible way to address the complex world we live in?

An idiot.

Really? I remember plenty of people complaining that the Scots should have been offered a three-way choice between the status quo, devo-max, and independence.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

An idiot.
So much for democracy, then. The people are asked their opinion, for once given a voice and have the chance to say yes or no, and because some of them want to say no, the person who suggested the idea is an idiot?

What question in your considered opinion should have been posed, if not a simple yes/no one?

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Really? I remember plenty of people complaining that the Scots should have been offered a three-way choice between the status quo, devo-max, and independence.

And in the event, were offered a choice between devo-max and independence. Those who wanted the status quo were effectively disenfranchised.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
So much for democracy, then. The people are asked their opinion, for once given a voice and have the chance to say yes or no, and because some of them want to say no, the person who suggested the idea is an idiot?

We're a representative democracy. We vote for representatives to represent us in parliament.

If you're so fired up for democracy, for people being asked their opinion and being given a voice, I'd like to remind you how few people voted for the Tories, and ask you just how they became a majority in parliament? Where was your rhetoric, your passion, to demand the people were listened to then?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
If you're so fired up for democracy, for people being asked their opinion and being given a voice, I'd like to remind you how few people voted for the Tories, and ask you just how they became a majority in parliament? Where was your rhetoric, your passion, to demand the people were listened to then?

I'm not particularly fired up for democracy (or anything else), I just assumed the left-wing types on the board would be and if so your post above would apply to them.

Btw, I voted Conservative at the last election because it was the least worst option. Maybe one day there will be a political party I can vote for because I like them and they represent my views, but I suspect that won't happen in my lifetime.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What question in your considered opinion should have been posed, if not a simple yes/no one?

Democracy isn't a simple yes/no question. It is an assemblage of sometimes complex yes/no final answers. Thinking in terms of yes/no, black/white, on/off does a disservice to democracy and oneself.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So what question should have been posed then?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's because some people want to vote no, that has dismayed me. It's because great clouds of poisonous racism and xenophobia have been disseminated, so that the debate has become toxic. I don't know whether referendums always do this - presumably, Switzerland manage to keep theirs civilized, but this one has been vile.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
I'm not particularly fired up for democracy

Clearly not, since you voted Tory.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm with lilbuddha here. This referendum was never about going to the people to settle the issue once and for all. This referendum was a stupid, stupid, stupid and opportunistic miscalculation by Cameron to gain better control over his own destiny and that of his party.

If you have a system of democracy with elected representatives, calling referendums effectively undermines that system.

(over here, François Hollande recenly called a "territorial" referendum to try and resolve a longstanding argument about a major new international airport. He did not specify which "territory" would be called to vote for several months after the announcement, and few people doubt that the territory chosen has been solidly found to ensure the government's preference wins and can be shown by dint of this farce to be "the will of the people").

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I don't know whether referendums always do this - presumably, Switzerland manage to keep theirs civilized...

Well, as civilized as you can be when you're passing the kind of ballot measures that would make Nigel Farage come in his pants.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Switzerland is a case apart. It has a much smaller population than the UK and has historically been isolationist inasmuch as everyone with any money has vast amounts of it stashed away there, as remote from international legislation as possible. As a result, unlike the UK, its interest is to stay as clear of as many international cooperative agreements as it reasonably can and be reasonably sure its territorial integrity will remain intact.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole point of democracy is choice - even bad choices. It's yer free will thing, innit?

I can't say I'm ecstatic about some of the people or options I've voted for over the years, but the answer has always seemed to me to become more of a grassroots activist rather than walk away, complaining Jack's as bad as Nancy aa my mother would say.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Switzerland is a case apart. It has a much smaller population than the UK and has historically been isolationist inasmuch as everyone with any money has vast amounts of it stashed away there, as remote from international legislation as possible. As a result, unlike the UK, its interest is to stay as clear of as many international cooperative agreements as it reasonably can and be reasonably sure its territorial integrity will remain intact.

Yes, but the referendum I linked to was about restricting the construction of minarets within Switzerland itself. As such, it had little if anything to do with staying out of international agreements.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Firenze:

The question is what the best way of expressing that choice is. I'm all for grassroots engagement, but at a national level, I think the issues best solved by referendum are vanishingly small simply because the world at that level is such a complex place.

Stetson:

I know. But the Swiss aren't the British, anyway.

[ 19. June 2016, 15:35: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Vote Now Show, which is going out at 7:15pm tonight, asked the audience what the next referendum should be about; several said banning referenda. (This won't go out. They had more than enough material and not enough time to edit.)

Current polls are neck and neck. One has both sides at 44%, another has Leave just ahead and a third has Remain just in the lead.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, Farage has said he is a victim of political hate.

Thing is, Nig, it isnt just about the politics, people hate you because you are a thoroughly nasty little man who wants to associate himself with the death of a genuinely good person to cover over the fact that you are an apologist for fascists.

--------------------
arse

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Partially true I would think, but making it all about him at this particular point in time is fairly narcissistic.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

If political hatred is a term that implies we should have to feel sorry for the privately-educated, European parliament expenses taking, ex-City, beer swilling, mouthy, racist, two-faced bastard - then I'm going to suggest the term is a bit devalued.

--------------------
arse

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Utter contempt is more appropriate. His public and political persona is that of a terrible human being.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Firenze:

The question is what the best way of expressing that choice is. I'm all for grassroots engagement, but at a national level, I think the issues best solved by referendum are vanishingly small simply because the world at that level is such a complex place.

My response was more to the suggestion that voting Tory was not believing in democracy. Not voting is not believing in democracy.

I am not for referenda in general: they're a debased form of politics. You do need political passion and conviction, if only to see you through the evenings on hard chairs in church halls or draughty vigils outside polling stations, but in referenda it is too often just the sound and the fury without the hard thinking about why, and how, and who and how much.

[ 19. June 2016, 17:44: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

In this specific instance, voting Tory meant voting for the abject abandonment of parliamentary sovereignty and representative democracy, known as the EU referendum.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

An idiot.

Well, in the run-up to the Independence referendum I said several times that my preference was for a vote to establish (or not) a desire for independence to allow the Scottish government to enter negotiations with a mandate from the people of Scotland, which would be followed by a second referendum on whether to accept the particular proposal on the table. So, not a simple yes/no question, but a yes/no to see if there was sufficient support in Scotland for the hard work of the national discussion on what independence means followed by a vote to confirm that.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think there is a place for a simple yes/no question. But, the time for that is after a national discussion on the issues in hand. Probably to ratify (or reject) an Act of Parliament, with the government wanting a specific constitutional change.

At this stage the nation is just starting the debate (in the context of a non-specific and ill-timed question). We need a Parliament that has debated the issues in an intelligent and serious manner (yeah, I can dream), and that probably means we need some MPs specifically elected on an "out-of-EU" ticket (even if that means UKIP).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
So punishing the victim for being a victim.

Your ignorance of how prison actually works in practice is becoming more apparent with every post.
Eutychus, I acknowledge my ignorance. But I don't think that disqualifies me from expressing disgust with the glee which some people outside express about particular potential inmates having to deal with rape.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

It doesn't. I was dismissing as ignorant your suggestions that a) solitary confinement would or should form part of any conventional sentencing b) being isolated from the general prison population after having been raped is "punishing the victim for being the victim".

However, to get this back on track, if it makes you feel any better, if Britain seeks to opt out of the European Convention on Human Rights (as many Brexiters seem to want to do and indeed Cameron appears to be committed to), I see no reason why you should not look forward to indefinite solitary confinement and who knows what other human rights abuses, free of pesky interference from "Strasbourg", i.e. the European Court of Human Rights.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In this case there was no direct need to ask a question at this time. As Eutychus and Alan have stated.
But you missed my point. Though the choice on the ballot might be a yes/no choice, what leads up to it shouldn't be that simple.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What on earth has the European Court of Human Rights got to do with the EU?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Nothing at all, as I have already pointed out.

Except that in the minds of many, I'm sure that achieving Brexit means breaking free of the jurisdiction of the ECHR, since it has the word "European" in its title and is located in one of those nasty foreign places. And that to my mind at least, the arguments advanced for decoupling from the Convention on Human Rights appear to be about as equally misguided as those for leaving the EU.

[ 20. June 2016, 06:42: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Nothing at all, as I have already pointed out.

Except that in the minds of many, I'm sure that achieving Brexit means breaking free of the jurisdiction of the ECHR, since it has the word "European" in its title and is located in one of those nasty foreign places. And that to my mind at least, the arguments advanced for decoupling from the Convention on Human Rights appear to be about as equally misguided as those for leaving the EU.

I'm not sure it is "nothing at all", although you are correct to say that leaving the EU is not to leave the ECHR.

The complication is that there are overlaps with the different ideas; all members of the EU are members of the Council of Europe. All members of the CoE are signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights, of which the European Court of Human Rights rules. Article 6(2) of the Maastricht Treaty codifies that the Union "shall respect fundamental human rights as guaranteed by the European Convention on Human Rights".

So they are all tied together.

But in a sense this is a bit of a red herring. The truth is that the Tories want out of the European courts (both the European Court of Justice and the ECHR) over and above the Brexit Tories dislike of the EU. At present there isn't a way to be part of the EU and not be a signatory to these courts.

This does illustrate the idiocy of having a binary vote. If the majority go with Brexit, does that mean that there is a mandate to leave the ECHR? It is quite possible that there is a majority who somehow seem to think that the ECHR (a document written by British Tories, ironically) is a bad thing, but it seems to me that there may be pressure within the Tories to leave the ECHR even if Remain win. How that'd work, nobody seems to know.

--------------------
arse

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not very hellish, I know, but here is
my blog take on the Referendum and what it's doing to our politics.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:

Not really very anything. Who cares what you think?

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that was pretty good, Pete. Particularly this.

quote:
In the midst of that deep distrust of our democratic institutions, we lob a time bomb - a referendum which allows all that distrust to be expressed, exacerbated by a free-for-all without rules in the social media and in the press. Result - a campaign where fear, misrepresentation, and paranoia become the currency of public discourse.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Who cares what you think?

And, who cares what you think?

If you think people are reading and thinking about what you write, then a) everyone else has the right to expect that and, b) you're delusional.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
And, who cares what you think?

If you think people are reading and thinking about what you write, then a) everyone else has the right to expect that and, b) you're delusional.

If you think the purpose of this thread/board is for someone to come along and simply post a link to their blog, on the expectation that we should be interested because they're a bishop, then I suggest it is you that is delusional.

This isn't reddit, we don't typically have drive-by posting of links to people's blogs.

--------------------
arse

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

In this case there was no direct need to ask a question at this time. As Eutychus and Alan have stated.
But you missed my point. Though the choice on the ballot might be a yes/no choice, what leads up to it shouldn't be that simple.

It hasn't been.

If Cameron hadn't held the referendum you can bet he would have been jumped on for not doing so and breaking an election promise. So he holds one and up goes the cry of what a stupid idea. If people really don't want a referendum, don't vote. You don't have to be part of it.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It hasn't been.

If Cameron hadn't held the referendum you can bet he would have been jumped on for not doing so and breaking an election promise. So he holds one and up goes the cry of what a stupid idea. If people really don't want a referendum, don't vote. You don't have to be part of it.

That'll be nothing compared to the outcome. It will be divisive if the result is to Remain and chaotic if the result is to Leave.

That's not just my preference: for 40 years our legislation in areas such as employment, welfare, health, agriculture in addition to border controls, the economy and trade has been affected by EEC/EU directives on those subjects. We'll have to rewrite a lot of law if we pull out.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cameron on the TV was evasive on what happens on 24th June. He used it as yet another "I want to make your flesh creep" opportunity - which of course he now has to do.

But the public debate would have been better served if both sides had been forced to produce a proper manifesto spelling out the consequences of the possible scenarios as they saw them.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:
quote:

It hasn't been.

Cameron's election promise was to negotiate a substantive new deal for the UK in Europe and then put it to the vote. He failed to negotiate a deal for the UK, why then does he still want to hold the referendum?

But, on one thing I agree. If we didn't want a referendum then the time to vote for that was last year, by note voting for a Tory in the general election - which is what I would have done if my postal ballot had arrived (for a whole load of reasons, but the pledge for a new deal in Europe and a referendum were among the policies in the Tory manifesto I disagreed with).

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Cameron's election promise was to negotiate a substantive new deal for the UK in Europe and then put it to the vote. He failed to negotiate a deal for the UK, why then does he still want to hold the referendum?

I have to agree with Cameron that if the EU needs reform you need to be a member of it to put your point of view across and try to get it implemented.

I know it didn't work last time and he emerged with a pale shadow of what he'd hoped to get. That is one reason for voting Leave. If it can't be reformed from the inside then the best option is to cut your losses and go. But if other nations are agreed that it needs reform and are prepared to work together on this then it is a possibility. I'm not convinced it will happen but voting Remain gives that second chance.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

This by Paul Mason is on the money.

quote:
For many people, the Brexit campaign feels, for one brief moment, like the first time they have had control. But the clue is in the word “brief”. Once the vote is over, it will be the rightwing Tories in control. Ask Ukip; ask Boris Johnson: will Brexit guarantee a rise in wages, a cap on rents, a fall in NHS waiting times or class sizes? Ask the leave camp to put targets on these things – not for the longterm, but within 12-18 months. They can’t.

What can is a left-led Labour party, combined with the progressive nationalist parties and the Greens, which will institute real change. There will be no dilemmas in the newsrooms of the Times and Telegraph if that happens: they will unite to crush it.

That’s how you know the difference between a real revolt and a fake one: by its enemies.

This is a fake referendum where the Tory grandees are fighting it out in a way that means they'll get what they want whichever side wins.

I think Corbyn had it right all along; being part of the EU is better than leaving, but neither of the options are particularly palatable.

And it is certainly true that the Brexit Tories are deliberately pandering to working people with lies.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The EU, like any political structure, has it's own set of internal cycles - they just aren't synched with the UK political cycles. There are points when issues of reform naturally raise their head, and other times when the cycle is in "business as usual". And, different parts of the EU also operate on different cycles, and have their own reform mechanisms.

The big point of reform will arise when expansion is considered. Which was the point at which the UK government negotiated restrictions on the rights to work in the EU for the new nations joining. To try and put additional restrictions on the rights of EU nationals to work at a point where expansion is not being considered, and only a few years after the previous negotitations on worker rights is out of synch with the rest of the EU. So, it's not surprising that many other nations were not interested - especially when they're focussed on the pressing need of handling an unrelated crisis (actually, two - the economic difficulties of Greece and other nations, and the large number of refugees).

In other areas of EU policy there are standing committees who are constantly (if in amny cases rather slowly) reforming policy - recent changes to fisheries policy are an example (changes that the UK largely opted out of contributing too since the lazy sod who should have been on that committee couldn't be bothered to turn up, let alone contribute).

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
In other areas of EU policy there are standing committees who are constantly (if in amny cases rather slowly) reforming policy - recent changes to fisheries policy are an example (changes that the UK largely opted out of contributing too since the lazy sod who should have been on that committee couldn't be bothered to turn up, let alone contribute).

I think you might be talking about Farage, who is on the European Parliament fisheries committee.

AFAIU the actual changes to the fisheries policy were mainly negotiated by the parties to the European Council, so I'm not sure whether Farage's presence or absence really made a whole lot of difference.

It seems perfectly correct to me to state that the European Parliament is a rather defunct organisation given that some members like Farage take all possible funds without regularly attending and some (like, IIRC a Bulgarian member) just keep pressing the 'yes' button when voting in every debate.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The European Parliament is an essential part of the EU structure, it's one of three legs of the legislative tripod. The Council of ministers reflects the views of the individual nations in the EU, the Commission is an a-political bureacracy, the Parliament represents the people of Europe. Which doesn't mean it's perfect, of course.

There does appear to be a substantial amount of abuse of the system within the European Parliament. Personally I would like to see the establishment of some form of job description with a performance evaluation for MEPs - expected minimum number of days spent on Parliamentary business, minimum expected contribution to debates (through asking questions, tabling motions, expressing the views of their constituents etc) both in the chamber and on committees, and so on. With loss of expenses and/or salary for failure to meet the required performance levels. Of course, people should be free to vote for individuals and parties who explicitely disagree with the EU and make it clear they will not take their seat - but, any MEP who takes that line should also be happy to not take any European money for the job they're not doing.

I would also make a similar suggestion for the House of Commons.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And what would happen if the three options got something like 40%, 30% and 30%?

The best thing about yes/no questions is you know which answer won. Anything else becomes fraught with difficulty.

Are you using first past the post? That might work for, say, choosing a national anthem. Apparently in some places such as the UK it's good enough for picking an MP. But for something as core as the constitutional arrangements of a country, heaven help you if none of the options makes the 50% mark.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:

Your comments are spot on

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

And what would happen if the three options got something like 40%, 30% and 30%?

The best thing about yes/no questions is you know which answer won. Anything else becomes fraught with difficulty.

Are you using first past the post? That might work for, say, choosing a national anthem. Apparently in some places such as the UK it's good enough for picking an MP. But for something as core as the constitutional arrangements of a country, heaven help you if none of the options makes the 50% mark.

Transferable vote?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016