homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, I wouldn't want you to think too highly of me... [Snigger]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
I forgot until just now, but I had a friend years ago who used to make champagne jelly; it was lovely. Sadly this was decades ago and she has moved and we've lost touch, so no recipe... [Frown]

I once made a poor man's 'Bucks Fizz' jelly...orange jelly made up wth Cava. After the company reeled away from the table we decided that maybe the addition of a little orange juice to the mix would have been sensible.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
My wife makes mincemeat (based on Delia Smith's recipe but replacing some of the dried fruit with a quantity of dried cranberries) and a delicious pastry made with orange zest and ground almond (I think it's an Ainsley Harriott recipe so could probably be found on the BBC food website).

No it isn't, alas, at least as far as I can see. Drooling minds need to know. Any chance of a recipe?

John

Here it is. [Smile]
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I googled champagne jelly recipes and got a lot of hits. Here they are. You can decide which appeals to you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle
Shipmate
# 4792

- Posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have an Edmonds Cook book, bought because my boyfriend is a Kiwi. I know that the banana cake is good, because I've had it. I have the bananas and last night I looked up the recipe - horrors - it calls for Edmonds butter cake mix, which I can't get. Does anyone know what that would contain? Is it the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and sugar? Any help gratefully received.

--------------------
where am I going... and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 318 | From: Kent, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
My wife makes mincemeat (based on Delia Smith's recipe but replacing some of the dried fruit with a quantity of dried cranberries) and a delicious pastry made with orange zest and ground almond (I think it's an Ainsley Harriott recipe so could probably be found on the BBC food website).

No it isn't, alas, at least as far as I can see. Drooling minds need to know. Any chance of a recipe?

John

Here it is. [Smile]
Thanks -- I was trying under "pastry" expecting just the pastry, not the whole things.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
I forgot until just now, but I had a friend years ago who used to make champagne jelly; it was lovely. Sadly this was decades ago and she has moved and we've lost touch, so no recipe... [Frown]

I once made a poor man's 'Bucks Fizz' jelly...orange jelly made up wth Cava. After the company reeled away from the table we decided that maybe the addition of a little orange juice to the mix would have been sensible.
When I saw the word "jelly" the first thing that came to mind was a spread one puts on toast like marmalade. Then I remembered "jelly" is the American "Jello" or gelatin desert, that powder that makes me sneeze when I open the package, then you add a cup of hot water and a cup of cold water and can add addtional ingredients then put in the refrigirator to congeal. My aunts used to make these elaborate "jello" deserts that had mandarin orange slices and pineapple in these fancy molds. It's very "after church services luncheon" by me.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GoodCatholicLad:
When I saw the word "jelly" the first thing that came to mind was a spread one puts on toast like marmalade. Then I remembered "jelly" is the American "Jello" or gelatin desert [....]

You were right the first time. "Jelly" is usually what we spread on toast-like substances. "Jell-O"™ is the trade name of a popular gelatin dessert.
Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Sounds good! I'm trying to make jelly to give as Christmas gifts, tho, so it has to be able to travel via mail or sneaker post.

Ah! So you mean the jam-type jelly. I did wonder how you were going to get a gelatine dessert through the post [Big Grin]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ah, yes, another cross-pondism! "Jelly" is rather like jam only without seeds and noticeable pieces of fruit, if that makes any sense... Terms like biccies (cookies, except I am told chocolate chip cookies remain chocolate chip cookies--), chips (french fries), crisps (potato chips), and rubbers (erasers) can all be confusing to uninitiated Americans.

I don't think it's true of NZ and OZ; I expect they're far more likely to use British terminology. Plus chook... I've never heard that in the UK.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

We do have the jelly preserve over here (mostly for seedy fruit like redcurrants or blackberries), but cranberry and vodka jelly did sound like a rather grown-up party dessert. [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I just tell you all that I've put the fruit, juices and sugar into a bowl for my mincemeat and it is sitting quietly downstairs mingling before being put in the oven tomorrow?

It smells fantastic.

People keep telling me that tomorrow is going to be a horrendous day weather-wise, so I am all set for a very cosy afternoon in the house, with the rain lashing down outside, and the house full of the. most. delicious. smell.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[Smile]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Can I just tell you all that I've put the fruit, juices and sugar into a bowl for my mincemeat and it is sitting quietly downstairs mingling before being put in the oven tomorrow?

It smells fantastic.

You are so marvellously domesticated! Coming to stay with you is always fab because I get yummy food (well and obviously I like to see you and the boys!!)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
JonJim
Apprentice
# 12134

- Posted      Profile for JonJim   Email JonJim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Making your own mincemeat will earn you years out of purgatory, I bet. I've been embarassed into making my own marzipan this year for the Christmas cakes. It was one of those things which I was brought up with buying in a packet... anyway, easier than I thought and, of course, therapeutic. [Biased]

--------------------
My lurking days are over.

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mum and I were terrified of making choux pastry until one day when dad was out gardening or something and we decided to give it a go and if it didn't work no-one would be any the wiser - we tried it and it was so easy! All our fears disappeared.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother's vegetarian girlfriend (eats eggs and dairy) will be staying with my parents for Christmas and my Mum isn't used to cooking for veggies. Does anybody have any ideas for easy and tasty things that she can stick in the oven along with the roast turkey etc? There will be plenty of vegetables and potatoes already.

Ta!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm cooking for two veggies this Christmas (myself and my sister-in-law - though I actually eat meat as long as it was free range) and I'm thinking the best way to go is some kind of nut or pulse loaf with onion/mushroom gravy. Then we can have the roasties, veggies etc with the rest of the family. If you start going down the route of little tartlets / casseroles /omelettes etc they just don't go with the trimmings of roast dinner.

I've found quite an interesting Chestnut Loaf recipe online though as I haven't tried it yet I don't know what it tastes like. I am planning on making whatever I make a few days earlier and then will just heat it up in the microwave when I turn up at the family on Christmas Day. You really don't want to be faffing around making nutloaf on Christmas Day morning.

If your mother has a good stuffing recipe that doesn't involved meat that could also be an easy way of having a veggie main dish - just serve a slice!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My cousin came for Christmas last year and brought a nut roast from a supermarket with her...
Or you could do veggie sausages (Linda Mc Cartney ones are yummy).

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For a vegetarian alternative to Christmas dinner I make a cashew nut and parsnip loaf with a layer of mushroom through the middle that comes from Sarah Brown. There is a version >>>here which goes nicely with mushroom gravy and all the other normal trimmings.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those vegetarian recipes sound far more interesting than roast turkey to me... but then I alway prefer the trimmings (lots of chestnut stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, chipolatas etc) to the actual roast!

Now I need help to find a pudding on Christmas Day for my mother who is diabetic. Any suggestions? I've done fruit salad for her in the past but that doesn't seem very Christmassy. I've also done a baked apple with spiced dried fruit stuffing, which was quite nice, and one year I invented a spiced apple pancake that I cooked the day before and reheated in the microwave. Any other 'Christmassy' (by which I guess I mean spicy) desserts that can be made with minimal sugar?

[ 10. December 2006, 20:37: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could do a chocolate mousse. Just use splenda instead of sugar and sugar free whipped topping instead of whip cream. Put it into a pie crust made of nuts flour and butter. And you must remember chocolate is always ok for the holidays.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Now I need help to find a pudding on Christmas Day for my mother who is diabetic.

How about pears poached in mulled wine? if you make your own mulled wine to start with you can control the amount and type of sweetening agent you use.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I do a winter fruit salad, plenty of spice plenty of alcohol not difficult.

Get a packet of dried fruit or selected your own, but I find I enjoy even fruit I steer clear of when I make it this way

Other ingredients are water, spice and brandy.

Simply put the dried fruit and water in a bowl overnight. Then add spices and heat gently, do not strenously boil, until quite a lot of the excess water has evaporated. Turn off heat and add brandy to taste and sweeten if necessary, leave to cool!

Quantities, what are those? Quantites are up to the individual on the occasion, I am never snoop with the spices or the alcohol.

Jengie

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thought I'd throw in a couple of specialities I do:

1. Glacé cherries for grown-ups.

Take a large tub of glacé cherries, and fill up the container with just of the boil water (with the cherries in). Pour it off and repeat until you're pouring off water instead of syrup.

Fill container (with cherries still in) with brandy.

Leave for a few days; the longer the better.

Pour off brandy. Unfortunately, it's so sickly now that it's not of any use to man nor beast, except possibly to a desperate alcoholic who doesn't want his teeth.

Melt a couple of bars of the best, highest cocoa content fairtrade (plug, plug) chef's chocolate. Pick the cherries up on cocktail sticks and swirl them in the chocolate. Let the excess choccy drip off, then push the cherry off with another cocktail stick onto a sheet of greaseproof paper to set.

Put the set cherries into petit four cases and hand them round at Christmas. You will get your hand bitten off, so be careful.

2) New for this year. - Fruit'n'Nut for real men

Get about a pound of raisins and sultanas. Put them in a bowl and cover them with rum. Leave for a couple of days until they've swollen up and most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Mix with a bag of chopped nuts and another couple of melted bars of the aforementioned chocolate. Press into a baking tray and stick in the fridge until it gets as hard as it's going to (depends on the exact amount of chocolate). Cut into bits and stick them in petit four cases again.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
quote:
Now I need help to find a pudding on Christmas Day for my mother who is diabetic.

How about pears poached in mulled wine?
Or Figs in Coffee?
The recipe I have includes sugar, but dried figs are probably sweet enough not to need it , and it is rather too sweet for my taste if I follow the recipe exactly.

Dried figs have a GI index of 61, (medium rated) if that's of any help.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Thought I'd throw in a couple of specialities I do:

1. Glacé cherries for grown-ups.

Take a large tub of glacé cherries, and fill up the container with just of the boil water (with the cherries in). Pour it off and repeat until you're pouring off water instead of syrup.

Fill container (with cherries still in) with brandy.

Leave for a few days; the longer the better.

Pour off brandy. Unfortunately, it's so sickly now that it's not of any use to man nor beast, except possibly to a desperate alcoholic who doesn't want his teeth.

Melt a couple of bars of the best, highest cocoa content fairtrade (plug, plug) chef's chocolate. Pick the cherries up on cocktail sticks and swirl them in the chocolate. Let the excess choccy drip off, then push the cherry off with another cocktail stick onto a sheet of greaseproof paper to set.

Put the set cherries into petit four cases and hand them round at Christmas. You will get your hand bitten off, so be careful.

Ooooooh - is it too late to do them for this Christmas?

[Eek!]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sparrow - if you get your skates on, you could just about do it. The fruit'n'nut doesn't take long at all - only a day or to to soak in. If you put the cherries on now, you could be coating them on Chrimmy Eve and they'd be pretty good.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about pears poached in mulled wine?
Or Figs in Coffee?
The recipe I have includes sugar, but dried figs are probably sweet enough not to need it , and it is rather too sweet for my taste if I follow the recipe exactly.

Or figs in rum? I soak the dried figs in water overnight, then stew gently adding whatever amount of rum is necessary (which is usually quite a lot) serve with creme fraiche.

Dried figs have a GI index of 61, (medium rated) if that's of any help.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know the best way to cook a 5kg duck? and what is the best sauce to have with it? Thought orange is best, but can't find a decent recipe?

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by les@BALM:
Anyone know the best way to cook a 5kg duck?

In the oven?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AD, I know that, but for how long, which temp, on a tray or a rack etc, etc, glazed or not glazed?????????

--------------------

Tiggs the cat.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
AD, I know that, but for how long, which temp, on a tray or a rack etc, etc, glazed or not glazed?????????

Ah. No idea then! [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always cook a whole duck on a rack over a large roasting dish. Cook for 20 mins on a gas mark 7 (120 deg), then reduce temperature to gas mark 4 (80 deg) for 20 mins per per pound of the ducks uncooked weight. Check it 15 minutes the end of cooking time if you like it 'pink'.

If I'm cooking duck breast, I use a dry ribbed skillet or ribbed electric griddle.Remove 1/3 of the skin and cook skin side down for 25 mins on a med-high heat, turn and cook for a further 15 mins.

[ 11. December 2006, 18:30: Message edited by: Scooby-Doo ]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Anyone know the best way to cook a 5kg duck? and what is the best sauce to have with it? Thought orange is best, but can't find a decent recipe?

Duck (hahahahaha) is a vewwy wich-- no, wait, stop, I'm doing my Elmer Fudd Cooks impersonation.

Rewind, try again.

Easy Twice-Cooked Duck
Basic Roast Duck w/ Orange Sauce
Brined, Steamed Duck

Some notes:

Duck fat is a wondrous elixir--don't discard any of it. Instead, refrigerate any left over and use for frying or sauteeing veg or adding in small amounts for richness to soups or stews. French fries done in duck fat are excellent, AIUI.

You didn't say if your duck is wild or domesticated. If wild, your bird will likely have a stronger taste, so be aware.

More than you want to know about game bird storage and prep.

I don't recommend stuffing the cavity of any bird to be cooked. Too much chance of undercooked (and thus potentially unsafe) stuffing and overcooked meat. Make your stuffing in a separate pan. I'd put only aromatics (herbs, zests, etc.) in the cavity. This applies to all birds: chicken, turkey, pheasant, whatever.

Cooking meat solely by time is rarely a good idea. "Bake at X degrees for Y minutes" can easily lead to under- or over-cooking because all ovens vary in their temperature stability, even when set to the same mark. The only sure way to know when your meat is done is to use an instant-read probe thermometer, something like this instant-read thermometer. Before putting the meat into the oven or grill, drive the probe into center mass of whatever meat is to be cooked; stay clear of any bones. This nifty gadget allows you to monitor the meat's doneness.

Duck should be cooked to an internal temperature of... well, there's room for discussion. Cook's Illustrated says 160 degrees F. The US gubmint says 165 degrees F. Split the difference and you should be okay.

Be aware of carry-over heat. When you remove the bird from the oven, it continues to cook and its internal temperature will rise several degrees. I'd say pull the bird out when its internal temp reaches 158 degrees and let carry-over heat take it to 160-165.

Don't cut into a hot piece of meat immediately after removing it from the oven, or you'll bleed out its juices and the meat will be dry. (This goes for all meats.) Let it rest undisturbed 5-15 minutes (longer for larger pieces like whole roasts).

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

Ken, thanks very much for your helpful advice I will print it all of and use on Christmas Day to cook the Duck at my mum's. I don't know the source of the duck, only that its being purchased from a local butcher.Thanks for the useful links, will follow your advice and that of the Basic Duck roast recipe.

Also thanks goes to Scooby for advice given.

--------------------

Tiggs the cat.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For Comet and all the other non-gluten people. Gluten Free Girl is an interesting web site. I saw this on Food TV and thought it was interesting. It seems to have alot of recipes on it. Hope this helps all you out.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just made a very tasty lunch. Some would call it a dessert. It's a low fat variation on creme brulee. Why should triglycerides through the roof stop me using my blow torch??

Apologies for fuzziness of details. Such is life when cooking with Yay.

So, ingredients (substitute for high fat as desired):
Low fat natural yoghurt (about a cup)
Low fat thickened cream (also about a cup)
Fruit - I used home-stewed cherries in one, fresh chopped mango in one, frozen mixed berries in others.
Vanilla bean or essence
Demerara sugar (or any other sugar I imagine)

1. Place fruit in ramekins.
2. Mix together cream, yoghurt and vanilla essence (in later trials I put some passionfruit pulp in as well - haven't tasted these ones yet).
3. Pour cream mixture over fruit.
4. Sprinkle sugar over the top with a generous hand.
5. Fire up blow torch (you *can* use a grill but that doesn't sound like as much fun)
6. Make the sugar go all brown and melty.
7. Consume.

An even quicker version is a tub of flavoured yoghurt, such as Vaalia berry duo, stirred into some complementary fresh/stewed fruit and given the flame treatment.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

After further perusing of the website I mentioned earlier it seems not to be as useful as advertised. I hope that it can still help those of you afflicted and I am sorry that my attempt was not as good as I wished it to be.

Yay you have me wishing for a blow torch for christmas. That sounds really yummy. I may have to try it with out the crunchy melty sugar top(or run to the hardware store).

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

I've discovered a less expensive way to order higher end meat cuts: Try your favorite restaurant. The local meat market wants $6.50 lb for choice grade (one grade below prime) beef standing rib roast. (He's all out of prime - that was $12 lb.)

I talked to the owner of my favorite restaurant and he can order a prime grade (best cut available) beef standing rib roast for about $7 lb. The only drawback is I have to buy the entire rib section = 25 lbs. This means we have *serious* quality leftover roast for the post-holidays! (Good news: The in-laws have volunteered to help pay for the meat, so it's not as big a financial hit.)

I'll use Alton Brown's recipe.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found this recipe last week when I was going through my rather extensive recipe department. My grandma sent it to me when I was about 6 because I'd sent her a recipe for apricot balls.

Gingernut Tasty Morsels (I just made up that name)

250g pack of gingernut biscuits, crushed.
90g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup sultanas
1 cup or thereabouts dessicated coconut

So you melt the butter, add the syrup, essence and condensed milk, stir til smooth. Take saucepan off the heat, add biscuits and sultanas, stir again, cool to room temperature, roll into balls and roll those in coconut. Then refrigerate til a bit more solid. Or just eat them.

I am not very patient and my biscuits were not particularly well crushed. My mother thought this would be a disaster however I just stirred them in, put the lid on the saucepan then went and watched tv for an hour. I returned a few times in ad breaks to give it another burst of heat and stir - by the end of some Australian children's drivel, everything was fine. I think this actually worked really well because it meant that there were gooey, chewy AND crunchy bits of biscuit in the end result.

Highly recommended.

--------------------

Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

Oh, I thought I should add that I did make these yesterday - I wouldn't review as being highly recommended something that I thought was tasty when I was six. Tomato sauce on rice anyone?

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

My name is KenWritez and I dance the Dance of Happy Anticipation!

Hnads up! Hands down! Arms out, biiiig circles, back in! Step slide left, step slide right. Hop in place as we spin it all around....

My prime rib came in a day early and the chef happily agreed to remove the silverskin and the chine (backbone) for me, and said he'd rub the ribs down with peppercorns and the like! Woooeee! Now I get to age it in my fridge until Sunday night! This is gonna be so cool as I learn how to cook this thing.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

KenW, that's soooo cool! And thanks for the heads up about ordering large chunks of high-end meat from restaurant owners... I imagine that, if you're a good customer of the restaurant, it earns them a lot of goodwill. Have a great, grand, TASTY time!!! BTW, don't trip over your shoelaces dancing. [Big Grin]

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
re duck, I want to cook a post- ********* lunch for some friends. I am pretty confused about the brining, steaming, water bath and so on. I quite fancy trying a spicy brine but I don't think I have found a recipe yet that sounds just right.

Ken's Mighty duck recipe involves chopping the duck up which I don't want to do, I don't want to do it a l'orange again and I would rather not use a water bath (due to lack of the appropriate equipment). Though thank you, Ken, for those very interesting links.

Anyone got any more brining ideas?

[50 \/\/h4t is l33t anih0\/\/? [Snore] ]

[ 23. December 2006, 21:27: Message edited by: welsh dragon ]

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

mayday! mayday! going into the drink! well, it's a BRINING idea anyway (a short trip to the seaside, eh wot?)--

[hoping to please Stoo, who is a triple decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich. With arsenic sauce.]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just one thing to say. Soup.

So far, Artichoke and Bacon; Curried Vegetable with Crispy Chorizo; Chinese Chicken and Mushroom; North African Spiced Tomato and Vegetable.

It's cold, it's December, I drank too much last night. I just want to be left alone with my soup.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmmmm, a nice bowl of chunky hot home made soup and some GOOD bread with plenty of real butter!

Delicious!

Here we have Rasam which is not quite the same and I don't hanker after soup enough to be willing to return to a cold climate to enjoy it, but it's a nice thought.

Rasam is a sort of tomato pepper water that is served hot and taken alongside a traditional south Indian meal. If anyone is interested but can't find a recipe I'll beg one off HWMBO.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is an adaptation of a recipe from some TV chef. He was talking about cooking the perfect turkey. I used it for chicken though.

Slice up 2 onions and lay them on a roasting pan. Place the washed chicken on top of the onions, then add about a pint of boiling water. Use some foil to make a 'tent', and twist the ends and sides to get a very close fitting seal around the roasting pan.

Pop the pan in a low oven and let it cook for a few hours. My oven's lowest temp is 100C, and it was in for about 3 hours. I did the prep before church on Christmas morning, and when we got back the chicken was thoroughly cooked. However, the skin had not crisped, so I removed the tent of foil, drained the onions and liquid (to make gravy). I put some butter on the skin and then a sprinkling of salt, and then popped it back in the oven, but this time at 180C. The skin was beautifully crispy within 20 minutes.

To accompany the roast chicken I took a handful of lardons (chopped bacon bits) and cooked them, added in some of the cooked onion, and then deglazed the pan with some of the chicken stocks. Then some par-boiled, halved brussle sprouts were added. It proved to be very, very tasty and very not bitter.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
My name is KenWritez and I dance the Dance of Joyously Fulfilled Expectation!

If ever you want to truly experience the sublime bovine goodness that beef can be, arise from you couch, hie you to a local butcher or high-end restaurant, and order a prime grade standing rib roast, loin end. (UK and other countries probably use a different beef grading system.) Have the seller remove the silverskin and the chine (backbone). This cut of meat will cost you out the ying-yang, but it's worth every dime or ducat.

I followed Alton Brown's Standing Rib Roast recipe with two variations:

+ My roast had little carry-over heat. As soon as we removed it, the temp dropped a degree, so I turned up the oven temp to 500 deg F and slide the roast in for crusting.

+ There was clear fat, but not much fond, so the au jus idea was scrapped. We never missed it; some salt and pepper were the only things necessary, and horseradish was nice for those who wanted it.

Anyway, the meat came out wonderfully rare and medium rare--perfectly pink and tender. The meat itself you could cut with a fork, and it had a wonderful buttery, beefy flavor. I paired it with a Rombauer 2004 zinfandel because the beef was mild enough it didn't need the huge tannins of a cabernet sauvignon. So far I have yet to drink an inferior wine from Rombauer. These guys make good wine!

We served the beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, collard and mustard greens with sausage crumbles. It was one of the best dinners I've ever had.

[ 27. December 2006, 21:16: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got two cookery books as presents - one, recipes in the style of various authors. Mildly amusing. Possibly the best is the Irvine Walsh Fuckin Chocolate Cake.

And one, which appears to have been written by harrupmphing old fogey, which begins each recipe by explaining how to kill and butcher the bird/animal to be cooked. While I shall, of course, remember to tie off the weasand of a sheep to stop the stomach contents spilling when I upend the carcass, I have to say, I can see easier ways of getting hold of a lamb chop. Oh, and if you want fancy stuff like pastry, you phone up A Woman* and ply her with gin.

*any woman, apparently, will gladly turn up on your doorstep with a rollling pin at any hour.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016