homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken - on space travel, and specifically on the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1.

quote:
I know this is Purgatory but for once I would just like to say what I really feel about the OP without any attempt to justify it:

Oh gosh ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow ogosh ohwow wow!

[Smile] [Cool] [Cool] [Smile]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Shiny!

[Yipee] [Razz] [Razz] [Yipee]

Pity you don't seem to be able to quote smilies - I get the impression he's a fan, y'know...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Manipled Mutineer, somewhere in Eccles:
quote:
... with all the respect of a drunken necrophile in a cut-price morgue.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Emma in hell:

'By golly the Ship has changed'.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Angel] I'm very slow to notice. Its like watching a kid grow - don't notice they've done it but if you only see them now and then its obvious!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
And just a minor side issue - not a Hell call, not a Heck call even, maybe just a Blimey call...

[Killing me]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good day for quote collecting:
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I like to get all my news from blogs, especially if for some reason the Fox News website is down.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I saw that and want to add my own [Overused]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I love when Minimalism trumps 40 pages of dialogue:

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Nostalgia these days isn't as good as it used to be.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Unsurprisingly, Arietty delivers a Zorro- like riposte:

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

Anyone who draws on Terry Pratchett to provide an icon of evil is fluffy to their candyfloss core.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
No place is perfect. But this place is pretty darn good.

[Big Grin]

I'd suggest this for Ship's tagline, but it's a little too Lutheran.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Everybody is being so freaking funny lately. Duchess, on a malfunctioning link:

quote:
I actually sat looking at that link for a moment, looking for something profound. I feel like that guy in Close Encounters of the Third Kind with the plate of mash potatoes.

"This means something."

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Eccles, The Silent Acolyte goes from Oxford and the Prayer Book to modern geekdom in one easy bound:
quote:

Noughth Week? Holy Moley. Does that really mean zeroth week. If so, the C Language has older roots than I thought.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I'm pretty much not much of a fan of any creature where I'm obliged to handle its feces for as long as it lives. Now that I think about it, I'm having difficulty justifying being a Hellhost.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
What do atheists shout when they orgasm?

Dawkins! Dawkins! O, Dawkins.... I'm coming!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, a whole week without quotes. So it's time for:

Amazing Grace in the Styx:
quote:
It would have been better for all involved if people had asked for clarification before doing the standing conclusion longjump.

Solid advice.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Janine offers linguistics in a nutshell:

quote:
English is the bastard result of a Norman Conqueror trying to make a date with a Saxon barmaid.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

..and you are there!

quote:
when i sit wrong, it makes my butt tingle most uncomfortably.

(from Mousethief)

[ 19. October 2007, 07:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, I could have gone all day without that mental picture. [Eek!]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather felt the same about;

"Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, put your hands all over my body" Madonna, adapted).

It was a sig. I can't remember whose.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
..and you are there!

quote:
when i sit wrong, it makes my butt tingle most uncomfortably.

(from Mousethief)
I enjoy seeing my posts quoted in the Quotes file, but this isn't necessarily the one I would have chosen.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
What I have written, I have written
-Pontius Pilate

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl:LB, once again hits the nail on the head

quote:
...hotdesking, which is Satan's way to get you out of your current job and out of your mind in one go.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
Love is not love that stops at duty's end.

Once in my life (hopefully) I might say something this eloquently. Kudos to T.R.!

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Rook in Purg:

quote:
Omnivorous plus empathic equals quandary

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And from the same thread, comet's argument for vegetarianism:
quote:
lets face it, beans just struggle a lot less.
OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You gotta admire someone with that special gift for turn of phrase.

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
You'd have to be pretty damned stupid to not realize that a throwing a cigarette butt out the window into dry brush is as much a risk of starting a fire as lighting a match. I mean, too stupid to count your balls and get the same number twice.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Purgatory, the Beggar thread

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
All false Idols have a down side to worshipping them, a cost (pun intended). Giving money away is a good way of helping to keep Mammon in his proper place.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
And here's me thinking a myelin sheath was some sort of plastic condom.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB's recipe for world peace:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I share your concern. I think it would not be hard to re-write IngoB's list of reasons for affirming Abraham in this matter to justify, for example, religiously motivated terrorist bombings.

If every potential suicide bomber confirmed that he's truly listening to the voice of God by waiting with his attacks until he has successfully impregnated a post-menopausal 90 year old woman by natural means - then I think the world would be a lot more peaceful than it is now. (Except for a few old ladies, admittedly.)

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus is on fine form in the Phred Phelps thread in Purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
While it may be true that if you preach the truth the world will hate you, it doesn't follow that if the world hates you, you must be preaching the truth. The world may be hating you because you're an arse.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What I have written, I have written
-Pontius Pilate
That's what I'm having on my tombstone. Seriously. My last answer to over-enthusiastic editors.

Here's a nice one from Beautiful_Dreamer:

quote:
If you are persecuted for your faith when you haven't done anything, count it a blessing, but if you are being rebuked for being a jerk, that is on you.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Mousethief in the "I'm not easily offended..." thread in Purg (as opposed to the one in Styx and the one in Hell [Roll Eyes] ):
quote:
Not that my opinion matters a rat's ass, but by symmetry neither does yours.

[Overused] Sig line, anyone?
That reads so oddly... like, was the Mousethief telling someone their opinion doesn't matter, that they have an asymetrical ass, or that their ass doesn't matter...?
[Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Wouldn't you like to know!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Regarding Fred Phelps:

quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:
If he wasn't a clergyman, I'd think he was manipulative.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus (on a thread in Purg on prayer):
Maybe God called me to be a priest because he couldn't trust me to pray if it wasn't actually in my contract ... [Biased]

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
Adeodatus is on fine form in the Phred Phelps thread in Purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
While it may be true that if you preach the truth the world will hate you, it doesn't follow that if the world hates you, you must be preaching the truth. The world may be hating you because you're an arse.

Came down to post just that.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

That's, like, Freudian on top of Freudian. Like Sigmund Freud sitting in his office listening to you drone on about your dreams of your mother, while he carefully slips a condom on his cigar.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

That's, like, Freudian on top of Freudian. Like Sigmund Freud sitting in his office listening to you drone on about your dreams of your mother, while he carefully slips a condom on his cigar.

Ach, you beat me. My keyboard is covered in crisps.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Janine in the prayer thread:

quote:
What I want most is a functional brain!
If you find a supplier please let me have the address, I've been looking for years!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(cough)

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken:

quote:
Just as I was begining to think that Mormons really weren't crazy mixed-up autocratic anti-Christian sexist racist neo-pagan flat-earthers with their heads up their shaved clean arseholes inside their funny bondage pants - along comes one to spread the word and restore our first impression of the cult.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Matrix on the Rob Bell thread in Purg:
quote:
"Once we've done all the things Jesus explicitly told us to, we'll start pontificating on the stuff he never mentioned"

[ 02. November 2007, 22:20: Message edited by: Esmeralda ]

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
ken:

quote:
Just as I was begining to think that Mormons really weren't crazy mixed-up autocratic anti-Christian sexist racist neo-pagan flat-earthers with their heads up their shaved clean arseholes inside their funny bondage pants - along comes one to spread the word and restore our first impression of the cult.

Its really naff commenting on your own quotes in this thread, but I feel honour-bound to try to point out that this deliberatley OTT rant was, in its Hellish context, meant to look rather more ambiguous than it reads when isolated like this. And it certainly does not represent any considered opinion about Mormons (0r anyone else much)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Welease Woderick

quote:
Ice cream is very good for guilt, I recommend it
Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken in Hell:
quote:
Is this just some Tweedledum-Tweedledee-tweedlediscourse where the words you use communicate nothing because you redefine them to mean whatever you fancy them to mean from moment to moment?
I must find a way to use "tweedlediscourse" in my regular life...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have seen the economic light,thanks to Ricardus:

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
In a mixed economy we all screw each other and hope it cancels out in the end ...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
And from the same thread, comet's argument for vegetarianism:
quote:
lets face it, beans just struggle a lot less.
OliviaG
Bunnies struggle more on the way in.

Beans struggle more on the way out.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Estonian Orthodox, if you please thread in Purg...

MouseThief's quote at the end cracked me up the bestest, albeit Sober Preacher's Kid's "Almost Protestant" quote is quite funny as well. Perhaps this comes from me checking out the Orthodox plot on my own, then staying a Prot myself. [Big Grin] -dutch

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:
Mockingbird:
First of all, relations are poor between various jurisdictions and ethnicities. "Barely on speaking terms" is how a friend of mine, who married a Russian Orthodox woman, describes the relationships among various orthodox communities in the U.S.

Almost Protestant, isn't it? [Devil]
Except for the bit about us having identical dogmas and virtually identical worship services, yeah.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the duchess:

quote:
I have said the same thing to EVERYONE I can...my kidlets, to the friend I lost to being a pot-head...the secret to happiness is helping people. Basically jobs. Every job you do in some small or large way, helps people. There is a blessing inside all people to find happiness in helping others.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schroedinger's Cat:
quote:
God - if he is from you, thank you, and do you mind if I take him to a charity shop?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016